View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Sentinel: Meet Travis Ivey 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Sentinel: Meet Travis Ivey
Quote:
It’s not fair to say the Miami Dolphins failed to land a single nose tackle in this year’s rookie crop.

One of their biggest — literally and figuratively — priority free agents after the draft was Maryland defensive tackle Travis Ivey, who at 6-feet-4 and 325 pounds has the frame to play the nose.

Ivey had a few teams telling him he was on their draft board on the final day of the draft, and even after he went undrafted he had a handful of teams after him as well.

He chose the Dolphins.

“I like this team and I like the direction they’re going in,” Ivey said as rookie minicamp prepared to wind down today. “With my athleticism and me being able to do some of the things they would like to see, I think it was a good fit for me.”

It also helped the Dolphins’ case that he and newly converted nose tackle Randy Starks have the same agent and are both Maryland products. Before Ivey made his decision, he and Starks talked.

“Randy just said be ready to play,” Ivey said. “Just stay in his hip pocket. He’s been here for a while. He understands what he needs to do . I’m just ready to just listen, take it all in.”

Ivey broke his left foot as a sophomore, but said the foot hasn’t been a problem the last two seasons.

“I’m completely healthy,” he said

More:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... -ivey.html

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sun May 02, 2010 10:24 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Sentinel: Meet Travis Ivey
its good that he has an in with Starks, hopefully he does listen to all Starks has to say to him about playing on the DL.

This could be the guy that they plan to plug into NT come this time next season........i guess we first have to see if he has what it takes to make the 53 man roster though?

Sun May 02, 2010 7:20 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

keebler_kahn wrote:
its good that he has an in with Starks, hopefully he does listen to all Starks has to say to him about playing on the DL.

This could be the guy that they plan to plug into NT come this time next season........i guess we first have to see if he has what it takes to make the 53 man roster though?

I think Travis will be given every chance to make the 53 man squad.

Sun May 02, 2010 7:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

keebler_kahn wrote:

With so many team going to a 3-4, it'd probably not be wise to try to stash him on the practice squad if he looks like he's got upside. Granted, nobody else drafted him, but that doesn't mean they won't be looking for someone to develop once training camp roles around. For that reason, I hope he makes the 53 man roster, assuming he shows good upside.

Oh, and it'd be great to cheer for a Terp on the team as well. Fear the Turtle! :yay:

Sun May 02, 2010 8:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't think anyone drafted by Cam Cameron/Randy Mueller is safe, Soliai might be gone if this Ivey kid can play. If Starks is a great fit in the middle, and Ferguson will return after week eight, then there is no reason why we can't replace Soliai with this guy. I just hope if we do let Soliai go that we try to trade him for something. This might be a good training camp battle to watch, Soliai vs. Ivey!
:yay:

Sun May 02, 2010 11:25 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

wkloiber13 wrote:
I don't think anyone drafted by Cam Cameron/Randy Mueller is safe, Soliai might be gone if this Ivey kid can play. If Starks is a great fit in the middle, and Ferguson will return after week eight, then there is no reason why we can't replace Soliai with this guy. I just hope if we do let Soliai go that we try to trade him for something. This might be a good training camp battle to watch, Soliai vs. Ivey!
:yay:

Don't think trading Soliai this season is an option. With Ferguson on suspension for the better part of the season we still need quality depth at NT. Soliai may not be the best option but, he's the only option right now(McDaniel can't seem to hold the middle on 1st and 2nd). In any case, I would much rather let an older veteran go then release a young guy who could possibly be a quality backup.

Mon May 03, 2010 10:20 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I'm surprised so much stock is still put on Ferg... I wouldn't be surprised if he were the one to get cut.

Mon May 03, 2010 10:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think people need to cut out this nonsense that Soliai is on the chopping block. Unless he shows p to camp looking like a Zepplin and sh*ts the bed on the field, it's not gonna happen. They need guys with experience at the nose while Fergy finishes up his suspension. Les we not forget, Fergy is old and injury prone now.

To expect guys like Ivey to come in and make Soliai immediately expendable is a bit naive. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. I'm still not sold on Starks at the nose, except for on passing downs. I remember what he looked like filling in when we lost both Fergy and Soliai. It wasn't pretty.

Mon May 03, 2010 12:00 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I remember last offseason there was a DL by the name of Louis(I think that was his lastname?) that was being tried out at NT and he did not make the team.......though he was one of the last cuts.....Hopefully Ivey shows better than he did...... :yay:

I agree that Soliai probably will not be moved unless Ivey shows he can play up to his level as Soliai is still a pretty young guy, and had been improving as of late.......it will be fun to see how the NT position pans out throughout the entire season. :stiffarm:

Mon May 03, 2010 1:33 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

IamPZ wrote:
I'm surprised so much stock is still put on Ferg... I wouldn't be surprised if he were the one to get cut.

Wouldn't make too much sense to me. Ferg is cheap, 36, a Parcells favorite, proven, and won't be there for the first 8 games.

I think Ivey ends up making the roster over Soliai. He's going to really have to show up this August if he wants a chance.

Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

keebler_kahn wrote:
I remember last offseason there was a DL by the name of Louis(I think that was his lastname?) that was being tried out at NT and he did not make the team.......though he was one of the last cuts.....Hopefully Ivey shows better than he did...... :yay:

I agree that Soliai probably will not be moved unless Ivey shows he can play up to his level as Soliai is still a pretty young guy, and had been improving as of late.......it will be fun to see how the NT position pans out throughout the entire season. :stiffarm:

It was Louis Ellis out of Shaw University.

Mon May 03, 2010 2:29 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Well now he has his shot at making the 53 1st. Then we will see about real game time for him,and if we should let a (nt) go. He needs to show he can be a force in the pre-season, not just in practice with guys he has seen for a few weeks. Lots of times guys get in here and do well in practice, cause they see and play with the same players day in and day out. I will look to see how well or poor he does with other teams coming at him full speed.

Mon May 03, 2010 3:56 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
Well now he has his shot at making the 53 1st. Then we will see about real game time for him,and if we should let a (nt) go. He needs to show he can be a force in the pre-season, not just in practice with guys he has seen for a few weeks. Lots of times guys get in here and do well in practice, cause they see and play with the same players day in and day out. I will look to see how well or poor he does with other teams coming at him full speed.

If Travis is at that point, then that means he has showed a good bit during summer practice and he is playing in preseason games. A lot of your undrafted free agents don't get that far.

Consider also that if he makes it that far, he will have battled in practice against a pretty good OL, one that help Miami rank 4th in the NFL in rushing. A big, physical group.

I hopes he get's to that point and then some.

Mon May 03, 2010 9:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Wouldn't make too much sense to me. Ferg is cheap, 36, a Parcells favorite, proven, and won't be there for the first 8 games.

I think Ivey ends up making the roster over Soliai. He's going to really have to show up this August if he wants a chance.

I don't know a whole lot about this guy other than he's on our roster now. It really doesn't matter to me who winds up making the cut on this one, Ivey or Soliai. If Ivey is the best man, then I'm all for it! Soliai has had weight issues and problems showing consistent work ethic in the past. If this kid is willing to listen and work hard then he has a shot at taking Soliai's job. The Trifecta are high on guys with good character and the ability to follow orders.

Thu May 06, 2010 7:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]