View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 PhinPhanatic: Who Says This Regime Needs To Honor It’s Past? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post PhinPhanatic: Who Says This Regime Needs To Honor It’s Past?
I thought this was a good article for discussion.

Quote:
Who Says This Regime Needs To Honor It’s Past?
AUTHOR: Brian Miller

If there is one thing that has the fans pitting themselves against each other and the off-season rhetoric firing like a sub-machine gun, it’s the acts or non-acts of the Bill Parcells regime. What I want to know is this. Who says this regime needs to honor it’s past?

So Jason Taylor is miffed at the Dolphins because two years ago they traded him to the Redskins. So Zach Thomasis miffed because he didn’t get to stand at a podium, thank his fans, and walk out of the Dolphins complex with his swan song farewell speech. So the Dolphins wanted to hand out his number to a rookie. This regime has done more for the history of the Miami Dolphins than anyone since Don Shula strolled the hallowed corridors.

Memories are relatively short when it comes to things like this. It’s nature. We all seem to forget that Zach Thomas didn’t retire, he got cut and went and played for the Cowboys and Chiefs. Jason Taylor played for Washington and now is with the Jets after a one year home stint. But you need to go back further than that first year of the Parcells and company arrival in south Florida.

In fact, you need to go all the way back to Don Shula’s “retirement” and the Jimmy Johnson mistake.

Johnson started a trend that has found a place for over a decade in Miami. He refused to allow reference to the achievements of the Dolphins organization. Don Shula was not welcome at the training facility that he ran for most of his career. The 17-0 team? Forget about it. The rest of the players that had donned the Dolphins attire? Nope. If they weren’t on the roster then, they never existed. Talk about respect.

When Jimmy quit and Dave Wannstedt took over, the first order of business for DW was to show Miami favorite and future Hall of Famer Dan Marino the exit. In favor of Jay Fiedler I might add. Marino stood on a podium and thanked his fans, his teammates, Wayne Huizenga, Don Shula, and a slew of others. Even in his HOF acceptance speech, he mentioned more names than I can count. But never did he utter Jimmy Johnson’s or Dave Wannstedt’s name.

Unlike Taylor and Thomas, Marino turned down the opportunity to continue his career elsewhere I might add.

History, was treated with indignation and over the next few seasons, all traces of Don Shula were wiped from the roster in not so much as a team mention.

And then along came Nick Saban. Saban ruled with an iron fist and the entire complex became a house with eggshell flooring. The past? Nowhere to be seen.

When Saban left, the Dolphins handed over the reigns to a one year blunder in Cam Cameron. For all his talk of family he was in no position to instill the past into the present. When he left however, something changed.

Tony Sparanochanged the past and brought the past to the future. It was Sparano in that first season who began inviting former players to the practices and it was Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland who reached out to the historic figures of the franchise to speak to the players. Motivate them. 72 was back in the house and suddenly there was a sense that the Miami Dolphinswere coming home after a long absence.

Now, we see that two members of the team who are beloved by fans are being treated with the cold shoulder. There is no press conference announcing their departure. Yet, it was Jason Taylor who decided to leave for NY instead of waiting to see what else may come around the corner. It was Zach Thomas who after suffering two consecutive season ending concussions decided to throw his hat into the silver starred helmet of Dallas.

Why exactly should the Dolphins celebrate that? Hold a presser for that? It made and still makes no sense. Now it’s Zach who wants the ceremonial one day contract to retire a Dolphin. Is there a real reason behind this? Is this for the fans or for Thomas? And if the Dolphins don’t hold press conferences for their players, why should they suddenly make an exception?

The Dolphins conceded to public view by re-assigning AJ Edds to jersey number 49 instead of 54. But one of these days, someone else will suit up in 54 and someone else will be in 99.

So while fans and some media spend way too much time complaining about the antics of this regime, it really goes without saying that it was this regime who handed the olive branch bridge to members of a team that time had forgotten and past regimes had summarily cast aside with extreme prejudice.

To that end, I say this regime deserves a lot more credit for making this franchise relevant again. In the present, for the future, and finally, again, the past.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon May 03, 2010 4:08 am
Profile WWW
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Post Re: PhinPhanatic: Who Says This Regime Needs To Honor It’s Past?
Here is whats gonna happen. While this dictatorship is still in power Dolphin fans will care less about JT & ZT. In fact most fans will praise this decision as it is already being spun that JT & ZT are traitors. But then a new regime will come in , try to start anew & their first order of business to try to get fans onboard will be to honor JT & ZT in some capacity , maybe a cheesy plaque somewhere , ring of honor together , whatever. And of course fans will praise this course of action as well. We Dolphin fans for the most part are that way.
Honestly these are non issues however. The Dolphins have a history of this. They basically did it to Shula & Marino. Jimmy Johnsons first order of business was to say forget the past & he removed all the super bowl memoribila from offices. Fans loved it. 3 years later they hated it. That just the way we Dolphin fans are. After all its what happens present day , on Sundays that really count.

Mon May 03, 2010 5:30 am
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
After all its what happens present day , on Sundays that really count.

That is the truth of the matter!

Mon May 03, 2010 8:05 am
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

Well, for one, he needs to get the story straight. Jason Taylor wanted out of Miami when Bill Parcells and the new staff was hired and was happy to go to a so called contender in Washington.

Also, I think the handling of Zach Thomas request was butchered pretty badly, so hopefully that will be worked out.

Tradition and what a franchise has accomplished should not change because of ownership or coaching changes.

Time heals all wounds and hopefully this is the case here as well.

Mon May 03, 2010 8:10 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

NFL teams have one goal. To win. Players & coaches enter each season with 1 goal in mind, to win a championship. Last season no longer matters, all that matters is how they improve week to week and to win games..

While I also am nostalgic and like JT and ZT and all they have done. The Miami Dolphins have not won a Super Bowl since the early 70's. Thats the facts, thats the History...

Mon May 03, 2010 8:54 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Amen to that article. We're geeting close guys

Mon May 03, 2010 10:00 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Here is whats gonna happen. While this dictatorship is still in power Dolphin fans will care less about JT & ZT. In fact most fans will praise this decision as it is already being spun that JT & ZT are traitors. But then a new regime will come in , try to start anew & their first order of business to try to get fans onboard will be to honor JT & ZT in some capacity , maybe a cheesy plaque somewhere , ring of honor together , whatever. And of course fans will praise this course of action as well. We Dolphin fans for the most part are that way.
Honestly these are non issues however. The Dolphins have a history of this. They basically did it to Shula & Marino. Jimmy Johnsons first order of business was to say forget the past & he removed all the super bowl memoribila from offices. Fans loved it. 3 years later they hated it. That just the way we Dolphin fans are. After all its what happens present day , on Sundays that really count.

I think your just hard on Dolphin fans because you are one. I think every teams fans are the same way. You think only certain personality types are drawn to the Dolphins franchise or something?

Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
Jimmy Johnsons first order of business was to say forget the past & he removed all the super bowl memoribila from offices. Fans loved it.

I for one, did not. Embrace your past if it's as rich as the Dolphins. It's part of the reason I'm such a huge fan...look at all the records that are being broken today and notice how many of them were held by the team or an individual of the Dolphins.

Mon May 03, 2010 11:04 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Personally.. I am pretty happy with this regime. I hope they stick around for a while. Well at least this year and next. I think they draft soundly.. Admit their mistakes. And truly are building a team for the long haul. So that we can be contenders.. year in and out. I am thinking playoffs this year.. Even in our tough division. But, this year.. I think we win a game in the playoffs.

Mon May 03, 2010 12:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think clearing out all Superbowl memorabilia was stupid. I've always believed that people should be proud of their heritage. It's where you come from. It's what makes you have something to live up to. That applies to a football team.

If it wasn't for the fact that the Miami Dolphins have a great history, what would that make us...the Jets??

Mon May 03, 2010 7:26 pm
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

degs wrote:
I think clearing out all Superbowl memorabilia was stupid. I've always believed that people should be proud of their heritage. It's where you come from. It's what makes you have something to live up to. That applies to a football team.

If it wasn't for the fact that the Miami Dolphins have a great history, what would that make us...the Jets??

More like the Lions.

Mon May 03, 2010 8:23 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

You're right in we always don't have to "Honor" them, but at least show them the respect that they deserve. If you want to give out a # there's nothing wrong with that,if its not retired. But when a guy wants to say goodbye to the fans and you tell him to do it on his own time........thats wrong. As we all know a team can and will let a player go when they feel like it. It's just in how you let them go,or if you have in house deal not to let just any1 wear a ex-players #, like in college.

Tue May 04, 2010 5:51 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I couldn't agree any more with that article. Good write up.

Let's be proud of where we've come from. Let's be proud of our undefeated season. Let's be proud of our two Super Bowls. Let's continue to insist that Marino is indeed the greatest quarterback of all time. But let's start to look forward to the future instead of clinging to the past.

Tue May 04, 2010 9:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]