View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Is Kory Sheets on the radar? 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Is Kory Sheets on the radar?
Hey fellas. Any news or updates on Kory Sheets? Does anyone think he'll get any playing time?

Sun May 02, 2010 6:42 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Is Kory Sheets on the radar?
He is in the mix at kick returner, but he will have to wait for OTA's to show what he can do.

Sun May 02, 2010 7:08 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Like padre said, he will be in the mix as a kick returner and I also think he could play the slot RB in the Wildcat package that Patrick Cobbs handled. I know Cobbs will be back by camp, but I don't think he will be 100 percent and Sheets was a playmaker at Purdue.

I would like to see what the kid can do.

Mon May 03, 2010 10:02 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

phinsfansc wrote:
Like padre said, he will be in the mix as a kick returner and I also think he could play the slot RB in the Wildcat package that Patrick Cobbs handled. I know Cobbs will be back by camp, but I don't think he will be 100 percent and Sheets was a playmaker at Purdue.

I wonder why the heck wasn't he in the mix last year though after cobbs and brown went down?

Tue May 04, 2010 10:35 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rmelendez wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I wonder why the heck wasn't he in the mix last year though after cobbs and brown went down?

Because he's not that good.

Tue May 04, 2010 10:46 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowa, he put up pretty decent numbers at Purdue. I don't watch a lot of Big Ten football and did not see Purdue play alot, so I am assuming you saw Kory play and was not impressed.

Tue May 04, 2010 12:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Iowa, he put up pretty decent numbers at Purdue. I don't watch a lot of Big Ten football and did not see Purdue play alot, so I am assuming you saw Kory play and was not impressed.

It's not that I wasn't impressed...I mean, he was pretty good in college. But putting up numbers at Purdue doesn't say much. College numbers rarely translate over into the NFL. Sheets will forever be a camp fodder/backup running back, nothing more.

Tue May 04, 2010 1:37 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

He told me on twitter that he has gained a few pounds this off season to add some more power through the hole. He also said that, like he did at Purdue, he'll be in the mix for kick returning this season.

Tue May 04, 2010 3:03 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Last year's analysis listing the top 20 undrafted players:

Quote:
Kory Sheets, RB, Purdue

Sheets is inconsistent and more effective running outside than he is between the tackles, but he has the speed, hands and elusiveness to give a team a quality third-down back.

Quote:
ESPN Insider:

Overall Football Traits

Production 1
2004: Purdue red shirts Sheets.
2005: Sheets starts two of the 11 games he appears in rushing for a total of 571 yards and 10 touchdowns on 104 carries. He catches 13 passes for a total of 132 yards and returns four kickoffs for a total of 73 yards.
2006: Sheets starts all 14 games rushing for a total of 780 yards and 11 touchdowns on 158 carries. He catches 28 passes for a total of 213 yards and two touchdowns, returns 19 kickoffs for a total of 422 yards and one punt eight yards.
2007: Sheets starts nine of the 13 games he appears in rushing for a total of 859 yards and 11 touchdowns on 168 carries. He catches 30 passes for a total of 216 yards and two touchdowns and returns a kickoff 14 yards. 2008: Sheets starts all 12 games rushing for a total of 1,131 yards and 16 touchdowns on 234 carries. He catches 37 passes for a total of 253 yards and a touchdown and returns 14 kickoffs for a total of 259 yards.

Height-Weight-Speed 3
Adequate height and top-end speed but bulk is marginal.

Durability 2
2008: Leaves Notre Dame game with shoulder injury but plays the next week.

Intangibles 4
Developed into more of a team leader during senior season but publicly criticized QB Curtis Painter after Purdue dropped four games.

Running Back Specific Traits

Competitiveness 3
There's a lot to like about ability to improvise when seam isn't there and rarely gives up on a run but can get caught dancing in the backfield when he should just lower his shoulder and pick up what he can. (see early-first quarter of the 2008 Michigan game) Far more competitive with the ball in hands than is without it. Effort as a pass blocker is inconsistent. Can pull up and isn't much of a downfield blocker when sees quarterback scramble. Has had some problems holding onto the ball.

Vision 3
Dances in the hole too much and doesn't show a great sense of timing when running between the tackles. Recognizes cutback lanes and generally does a nice job of exploiting them.

Explosiveness 3
Changes speeds well and can make defenders miss with stop-and-start moves when gets to the second level. Quick enough to turn the corner. Squares shoulders to the goal line as soon as he locates a seam and he's faster on field than his 40-time indicates but still lacks breakaway speed.

Balance/Change-of-Directions 2
Flashes a strong stiff arm and bounces off would-be arm tacklers. Can recover when stumbles and tiptoe down the sideline. (see first-quarter 80-yard touchdown run during 2008 Oregon game) Elusive enough to make first defender miss.

Passing Game 2
Does a good job of drifting into the flat off of play action, appears comfortable catching waist-high passes and fluid turning upfield. While isn't going to be as much of a homerun threat after the catch at the NFL level can still pick up valuable yards after the catch. Keeps head up and can locate blitzing linebackers/safeties but doesn't appear to like contact and doesn't always sustain blocks.

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/pl ... ory-sheets

Tue May 04, 2010 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

phinsfansc wrote:

He had a couple of carries at the end of the year, he looked as good as anyone can with 3 or 4 carries.

I used to follow him on twitter but that cat is such a skirt chaser I just lost interest in reading it.

He claimed he gained 7 pds of muscle, and dude is legit fast, 4.4 type speed.

Tue May 04, 2010 3:38 pm

padre31 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

He had a couple of carries at the end of the year, he looked as good as anyone can with 3 or 4 carries.

I used to follow him on twitter but that cat is such a skirt chaser I just lost interest in reading it.

lol. He's a playa.

I think he only had 1 carry for 4 yards, if memory serves me right. Thought he should have had a lot more opportunities after Ricky's shoulder got banged up in Tennessee.

Tue May 04, 2010 3:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Thought he should have had a lot more opportunities after Ricky's shoulder got banged up in Tennessee.

Just more evidence that any hype around this guy is a bit much. He was signed by the Dolphins because they had 2 running backs go down to injury, leaving them with 2; one of which being 32 years old. I'd be surprised if he makes it past week 2 of preseason.

Tue May 04, 2010 3:50 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
padre31 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

lol. He's a playa.

I think he only had 1 carry for 4 yards, if memory serves me right. Thought he should have had a lot more opportunities after Ricky's shoulder got banged up in Tennessee.

He is a playa on his own time..

Well, with sparano, they just like Bigs, they like large everything, and Sheet had issues picking up the playbook so Hilliard started and subbed and Sheets rarely played.

Truth be known though, I'd take Sheets over PCobbs..in 2/10ths of a second.

Tue May 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Thought he should have had a lot more opportunities after Ricky's shoulder got banged up in Tennessee.

Just more evidence that any hype around this guy is a bit much. He was signed by the Dolphins because they had 2 running backs go down to injury, leaving them with 2; one of which being 32 years old. I'd be surprised if he makes it past week 2 of preseason.

He was signed in like week 3 or 4...

I think part of the reason we did not use a draft pick on a speedy RB/return guy is because we have hope for Sheets.

Tue May 04, 2010 4:01 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I think part of the reason we did not use a draft pick on a speedy RB/return guy is because we have hope for Sheets.

Sheets and Tristan Davis..who was a fulltime returner at Auburn and ran a 4.49 to Sheets 4.47 in 2009.

Tue May 04, 2010 4:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

He was signed in week 6 after Cobbs' injury. 4 weeks later he was activated with Brown's injury. You can keep your hopes up, but when they're crushed, I don't want to hear it.

Tue May 04, 2010 4:45 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Be that as it may, I'm still kinda anxious to watch him do some stuff. What's the worst that can happen though? If he doesn't work out and doesn't make the team, its not like we lost a 2nd round draft pick on him :grin:

Tue May 04, 2010 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]