View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Rookie Roster Competition 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Rookie Roster Competition
Quote:
Dolphins rookie Koa Misi is expected to compete for a starting outside linebacker job. More than likely, he'll be battling Charlie Anderson for the strong side job. Anderson isn't starter caliber, so Misi will take over during the season if he doesn't win the job outright. The second-rounder wasn't much of sack artist as defensive end in college, but the Dolphins believe he has the athleticism to rush the passer, defend the run, and drop into coverage.

Rookie S Reshad Jones is expected to compete with Tyrone Culver and Chris Clemons for the starting free safety job. The Dolphins wanted Clemons or Culver to take the job from Gibril Wilson in the second half of last season, but neither player was ready. More talented than a typical fifth-rounder, Jones will give the two holders a run for their money in training camp.

Dolphins third-round OL John Jerry is expected to compete with Nate Garner and Donald Thomas for the starting left guard job. Richie Incognito is penciled in as the right guard. The Dolphins love Garner's versatility, but they seem to prefer him as a swing player. Converting from right tackle, Jerry has the talent edge on his competition.

Ryan Grice-Mullen may get a look as the Dolphins' return man this offseason. The Fins won't miss Ted Ginn's alligator arms, but they'll surely miss his explosive return skills. Grice-Mullen can play in the slot on offense, but he's a major long shot for a roster spot. His former teammate at Hawaii, Davone Bess, is a pedestrian, if reliable in-house candidate to return punts.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... _teams=MIA

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:45 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Rookie Roster Competition
Omar Kelly was on some radio show the other day saying there is no chance John Jerry starts. And that he needs to re-shape his body to be an NFL Guard

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:24 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Flipper wrote:
Omar Kelly was on some radio show the other day saying there is no chance John Jerry starts. And that he needs to re-shape his body to be an NFL Guard

I agree that he won't start. He's not nearly polished enough. I don't know about re-shaping his body. Didn't exactly work out with Shawn Murphy.

Quote:
Anderson isn't starter caliber, so Misi will take over during the season if he doesn't win the job outright. The second-rounder wasn't much of sack artist as defensive end in college, but the Dolphins believe he has the athleticism to rush the passer, defend the run, and drop into coverage.

I agree with all of that, but Misi played in the high 230s, low 240s at Utah. Are they really going to rely on him to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle in one off season so that he can hold the edge on 1st down in the strong side? I can't see him having any sort of success on that side against the Vernon Carey's of the NFL.

I guess this is the problem though when you don't have any legit strong side LB's. They are forced to reach and I think they are going to really struggle on stretch, sweeps, and toss plays too that side this year. Especially considering the guy playing on that side at ILB is Channing, who will probably be playing slower than last year because of the injury, it doesn't look good.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:10 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Who saw Donald Thomas starting his rookie year when he came to Miami. John Jerry is a very talented, physical OT/OG, the type of mauler that the regime likes.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
I can't see him having any sort of success on that side against the Vernon Carey's of the NFL.

That made zero sense. Not only is the strongside the side of the TE, but if he's going against the "Vernon Carey's" on the right side, you think he'd have more success against the "Jake Long's" on the left?

Give it up on the size thing. Robert Mathis is 245, plays strong end. Doesn't make a lick of difference if you hand in the ground or not, you're still responsible for your gap.

The Packers played a 3-4, and they had a pretty good defense until the end of the season. They had freakin' Brad Jones at 239 pounds and Clay Matthews at 250.

Regardless, I don't think this defense is going to be what you think it is. I'm not sure anybody knows, but I would imagine they're going with some sort of 5-2, so that the "OLBs" are more like DE's and three interior guys are DT's.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
[
I agree with all of that, but Misi played in the high 230s, low 240s at Utah. Are they really going to rely on him to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle in one off season so that he can hold the edge on 1st down in the strong side?

Thats what steroids are for. Perhaps Fergusen can hook him up.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:55 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
I can't see him having any sort of success on that side against the Vernon Carey's of the NFL.

That made zero sense. Not only is the strongside the side of the TE, but if he's going against the "Vernon Carey's" on the right side, you think he'd have more success against the "Jake Long's" on the left?

Give it up on the size thing. Robert Mathis is 245, plays strong end. Doesn't make a lick of difference if you hand in the ground or not, you're still responsible for your gap.

The Packers played a 3-4, and they had a pretty good defense until the end of the season. They had freakin' Brad Jones at 239 pounds and Clay Matthews at 250.

Regardless, I don't think this defense is going to be what you think it is. I'm not sure anybody knows, but I would imagine they're going with some sort of 5-2, so that the "OLBs" are more like DE's and three interior guys are DT's.

Size does not matter for Indy when they get ahead and can let Freeny and Mathis lose on the edge and come after the passer. When a game is even or they are behind and have to play the run, they pay the price. Miami dominated the Colts last year up front and ran for over 200 yards in that game last year. Peyton Manning and the Dolphins inability to stop the Colts from scoring TD in 15 minutes of possession was why they won the game. The Colts were 24th in the league against the run giving up 126.5 yards a game.

I think Koa Misi will be fine as the Phins have asked him to come in at 250 lbs, up 7 lbs from were he is at rookie camp. Plus, I think Miami will play multiple fronts with Mike Nolan.

Sat May 01, 2010 8:27 am

Iowafin wrote:

There aren't many Jake Long's in the NFL. Against the run game the bigger RT's like Carey are going to push him around. He'll make a play here or there because of his quickness, but he'll get pushd around more times than not I would say.

Quote:
Give it up on the size thing. Robert Mathis is 245, plays strong end.

Yeah, and the Colts run Defense is so good....

I like Koa Misi a lot, but you can't put a guy who played at 235-240 pounds at Utah on the strong side in the AFC East with RT's like Vollmer and Woody.

Sat May 01, 2010 1:45 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

There aren't many Jake Long's in the NFL. Against the run game the bigger RT's like Carey are going to push him around. He'll make a play here or there because of his quickness, but he'll get pushd around more times than not I would say.

Quote:

I like Koa Misi a lot, but you can't put a guy who played at 235-240 pounds at Utah on the strong side in the AFC East with RT's like Vollmer and Woody.

Vollmer's an LT...

Sat May 01, 2010 6:01 pm

TheBigFish wrote:
Vollmer's an LT...

Eventually he'll take over as the LT for Matt Light, as he did last year for a couple of games when Matt was hurt. But right now he's the starter on the right side for NE. Kazcur will probably be cut in TC at some point.

Sat May 01, 2010 6:13 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
TheBigFish wrote:
Vollmer's an LT...

Eventually he'll take over as the LT for Matt Light, as he did last year for a couple of games when Matt was hurt. But right now he's the starter on the right side for NE. Kazcur will probably be cut in TC at some point.

Yeah I was just referring to him playing LT last season...we didn't see much of him at RT. His skills were at pass blocking, so I dont know how sure the patriots are that he'll be a good RT.

Sat May 01, 2010 6:15 pm

TheBigFish wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
TheBigFish wrote:
Vollmer's an LT...

Yeah I was just referring to him playing LT last season...we didn't see much of him at RT. His skills were at pass blocking, so I dont know how sure the patriots are that he'll be a good RT.

He's got some power in the run game too. He's built like a LT, but kind of like Jake Long, the guy has some serious run blocking ability and can really drive you back and get you working on your back foot. Plus, I have heard NE is running more of a running early-2000s type of offense this year, but I don't buy into that too much. I think they still like their O-lineman pass block first guys who are athletic enough to kick out for the 164,643,852,241 screen plays they run per game.

Sat May 01, 2010 6:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
The Fins won't miss Ted Ginn's alligator arms, but they'll surely miss his explosive return skills.

I won't. I'd rather have a consistent good return than have my heart drop every time he touches the ball and pray for the 1% chance he takes one to the house rather than the 3% chance that he's going to fumble it.

Sat May 01, 2010 8:18 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Quote:

Dude.. What are you talking about. RT's as a rule can push around almost all SOLB's. Not just Misi. SOLB's have the speed and agility advantage. Do you think Misi is going to run into their arms .. like.. hey block me! No..

Did you even ever play football? Misi will be fine. And adding 10 pounds of muscle in the offseason is not as difficult as some of you think it is. I added 5 pounds of muscle in less then 2 months.

Sat May 01, 2010 10:41 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I agree with you hypocritex that he will of course use his strengths to his advantage but you a non-professional athlete gaining 5 pounds in 2 months is not something you can parallel to an already extremely fit athlete gaining 10 pounds in an offseason, imo :D

It's gonna take some extreme dedication to gain an additional 10 pounds of muscle in the right places without comprimising his existing skills...He can do it, but in an offseason, its gonna be tough. A lot of the new guys start losing weight because of the extreme training schedule

Unless you already are a fitness freak beforehand or something, of course ;)

Sun May 02, 2010 5:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]