View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Unsigned Ronnie Brown Unhappy 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Unsigned Ronnie Brown Unhappy
1984phins wrote:

Really? Have you looked at the numbers?

Addai: 219 carries, 828 yards, 10 TD, 3.8 Average
Brown: 147 carries, 648 yards, 8 TD, 4.4 Average.

Adai also caught over 50 balls and 3 touchdowns! The total numbers are overwhelming for last year.

But look at his overall numbers for a career. Adai is a much better back with much more production

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:17 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Ronnie has done a lot for this franchise and has fought to get healthy from some pretty serious injuries. That being said, he has also earned a lot of money while missing a lot of games. Sign your tender without a peep and EARN a new contract next year. You are still going to be getting paid nicely.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:16 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Well, as to the rather heated discussion on Ronnie Brown and a long-term deal, and the secondary issue of whether he has big-play potential or not...

You do not commit big long-term dollars to a guy who has gotten hurt a majority (80% of the years he's played) of the time, and even in the season in which he played in a playoff game he still missed games. His reckless style is hard on the body.

As to his big play ability or lack thereof...please.
A career 4.4 avg/rush (which is really good, I mean really good), and three of his 31 TDs (In 60 games, 55 started) are 60+ yarders.
An 8.3 avg/rec, with another 2 TDs (one of which was 43 yds).
He averages 68 yards a game on the ground and 20 through the air per game for his career.

What do you think his passer rating is offhand? Don't go hit NFL.com or whatever, just guess.
He's thrown fourteen passes.
He's completed 4 (like 40%)...
Give up?

2 TDs 0 Ints...

So, as to whether or not Brown has big play potential, I would add the proviso 'When Healthy' and say

YES

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:47 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

pawfectgent wrote:
As to his big play ability or lack thereof...please.
A career 4.4 avg/rush (which is really good, I mean really good), and three of his 31 TDs (In 60 games, 55 started) are 60+ yarders.
An 8.3 avg/rec, with another 2 TDs (one of which was 43 yds).
He averages 68 yards a game on the ground and 20 through the air per game for his career.

What do you think his passer rating is offhand? Don't go hit NFL.com or whatever, just guess.
He's thrown fourteen passes.
He's completed 4 (like 40%)...
Give up?

2 TDs 0 Ints...

So, as to whether or not Brown has big play potential, I would add the proviso 'When Healthy' and say

YES

I have no idea how any of that proves that Ronnie Brown has big play ability. Those seem like fairly average numbers to me.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:52 pm

Rich wrote:
I have no idea how any of that proves that Ronnie Brown has big play ability. Those seem like fairly average numbers to me.

Really? I'm surprised.
Thomas Jones, whom I have enormous respect for, is referred to as a big-play guy. In the years that he's played when Ronnie Brown was in the league, his longest runs were 71 and 59, or comparable with Ronnie's and his long of 41 on a rec matches with Ronnie's. Or maybe he (Jones) isn't considered one.
Adrian Peterson, everyone's big-play guy, has long TDs of 73, 67 and 64. Of course, Peterson has 46 games to 60 for Brown and Jones' 79 in my example, but those aren't any more significant in yardage (only frequency, and he's waaaaay over other guys at his position in that regard) than Brown's (or Jone's) big-plays.

I also construe big play to mean where a lot is focused on the player...he has to get his assignment right or the whole deal is stricken from the start. The Wildcat QB does precisely that. He handles the pressure of that pretty well, and this is a RB we're talking about. I am still against signing him to long-term paper, Rich, and I think you feel the same way on that, but he has been worth every bit of the 2nd overall when healthy performance-wise imho.

My only gripe with the Ronster is he gets nicked up wayyyy toooo much.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:45 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I just really hope Ronnie Brown is a Dolphin for years to come. He is one of the most recognizable faces of our franchise. I stick to my word that when healthy he is a Top 10 RB, round 8-10. He is a player that has never cried about sharing the ball with Ricky and someone that gives it 100% every time he is on the field. He even lost his starting job to Ricky Williams the year that Ronnie began to run the Wildcat and took the league by storm with it.
What did he do after? He won his starting job back. I think Ronnie and Ricky have great chemistry and losing Ronnie will be horrible.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:

He would of easily topped 1000 yards rushing every single season of his career but was held back because of injuries

"Ifs" are meaningless.

IF I were taller, stronger, faster and a better football player, I would be a top 10 RB too

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:59 pm

pawfectgent wrote:
Thomas Jones, whom I have enormous respect for, is referred to as a big-play guy.

By whom? He's a nice back, but I don't think of him as a big play guy.

Quote:
but he has been worth every bit of the 2nd overall when healthy performance-wise imho.

Have to disagree here as well. At #2 you want a guy who puts up 1200+ yards and 10+ touchdowns a season. A consistent factor back. Ronnie is not consistent, has one 1000 yard season and is always dinged up.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I agree Ronnie's not a big play type back. Seems to lack that extra gear or drive to really burst one.
But I do think he's a fairly abusive type back, one that can punish the defense. When he does get loose in a secondary he's like a bowling ball on the loose. And that's his problem. His body can't seem to take the abuse he dishes out.

I do wonder why they don't throw to him more out of the backfield, he can eat up the yardage when he does.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:34 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quote:
"Ifs" are meaningless.

Funny because I never mentioned an "if".

Quote:
IF I were taller, stronger, faster and a better football player, I would be a top 10 RB too

Do I even need to comment on that? lol
You make a strong argument, I throw in the towel...

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TheCarver13 wrote:
Funny because I never mentioned an "if".

You said "would of...but..." Pretty much the same thing really. I was just translating.

Sat May 01, 2010 12:43 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

When Brown and Williams are in that backfield it's electric

It is? It is stupid to me. Both of our backs are similar. They need to stay in the game and get a feel of what's going on. Here's some numbers to look at guys, check the average Yrds per carry in the 4th qt when Ronnie or Ricky is the "feature" back. Pick one and stick with him, stop the two headed bust.

Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:

It is? It is stupid to me. Both of our backs are similar. They need to stay in the game and get a feel of what's going on. Here's some numbers to look at guys, check the average Yrds per carry in the 4th qt when Ronnie or Ricky is the "feature" back. Pick one and stick with him, stop the two headed bust.

Ricky wont be a feature back and Ronnie cant. They compliment each other well, Ricky avereged 4.7 and you still see Ricky's burst because he is fresh most of the game with another backs carrying alot of the load, Ronnie had 4.4 per carry....
Miami finished with the # 4 rushing offense, 2231 yards, 22 TD's, thats a pretty good finish...

We will continue to be a strong running team, hopefully it will not be as good stat wise because of an improved passing game. But if we can't throw the ball at least we know we can run...

I think Ronnie gets offered an extension this season... Whether or not he takes it is another story...

Sat May 01, 2010 7:26 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I have a hard time buying the argument that Ronnie has no big play potential. This is the guy who went for 5 TDs against the Juggernaut Pats two years ago. That was the most dominant offensive performance I've seen out a dolphin since Dan Marino.

The potential is there.

Sat May 01, 2010 9:48 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Makchell wrote:

I would sort of agree. I would give Ronnie about 70% of the carries through 3 and give Ricky most of it in the 4th. Let Ronnie wear them down and Ricky finish them off in the 4th his tremendous burst of speed through and clear of the hole.

Sat May 01, 2010 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2