View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Mel Kiper Jr. would have selected TCU’s Jerry Hughes in 1st 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Mel Kiper Jr. would have selected TCU’s Jerry Hughes in 1st
Quote:
Told he was receiving some heat in South Florida for his C-minus grade of the Dolphins’ draft, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. explained himself.

Jerry Hughes and Koa Misi is the issue I have, it just boils down to that,” Kiper said Tuesday during a conference call. “I was big Jerry Hughes guy. I thought he was perfect for a 3-4, so subjectively when a team passed on him

Kiper said he would have used the No. 28 pick on Hughes, rather than Penn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick, then used the No. 40 pick on East Carolina defensive lineman Linval Joseph rather than Misi.

Kiper, on the other hand, did think Ole Miss offensive lineman John Jerry was a reach by the Dolphins at No. 73.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... irst-round

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:55 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Mel Kiper Jr. would have selected TCU’s Jerry Hughes in 1st
AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
Told he was receiving some heat in South Florida for his C-minus grade of the Dolphins’ draft, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. explained himself.

Jerry Hughes and Koa Misi is the issue I have, it just boils down to that,” Kiper said Tuesday during a conference call. “I was big Jerry Hughes guy. I thought he was perfect for a 3-4, so subjectively when a team passed on him

Kiper said he would have used the No. 28 pick on Hughes, rather than Penn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick, then used the No. 40 pick on East Carolina defensive lineman Linval Joseph rather than Misi.

Kiper, on the other hand, did think Ole Miss offensive lineman John Jerry was a reach by the Dolphins at No. 73.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... irst-round

So the Fins who are not looking for a NT in the draft, cause they planned on moving Starks to NT, needed to get another DE and took Odrick in the 1st round.......Kiper thought they should have waited until round 2 and gone with Joseph, who would play NT in 3-4.....instead they took who they thought was the best and most versatile 3-4 DE in the entire draft.

Kiper's preference for a 3-4 OLB was more to Hughes than Misi.....he also felt the fins should have gotten Hughes first and the 3-4 DL later, which ParLand disagreed with.......so a difference of opinion here as well.

John Jerry is a reach in the 3rd round, though he may end up starting at OG next season.......but the long snapper Kiper had rated 76 overall would have been a good pick? A guy that would only play special teams. :)

So pick who Kiper thinks you should pick, or you get a lower grade?......so not only must you draft the position of need Kiper believes you have, but also the exact player Kiper feels is correct? As the fins did draft a DL and OLB with their first 2 picks as he suggessted they do, but it was not the guys he wanted so..... :hithead:

ok, time to move on.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:12 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

nothing against any of those players, but maybe kiper should get his own team and win all the superbowls from now on because he would always draft the right guys. I too preferred Hughes with 28, but Odrick may work out just fine.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:38 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

xraytaylor wrote:
nothing against any of those players, but maybe kiper should get his own team and win all the superbowls from now on because he would always draft the right guys. I too preferred Hughes with 28, but Odrick may work out just fine.

I cant wait til I dont hear that name again... For 1 month a year he is important, let him go back to the fantasy league and betting pools.... What a *****

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:50 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Kiper is a dirt bag bag a-hole with a wig for hair...

Let's not waste anymore cyberspace on this idiot of a man/woman/child/tranny

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

2 words: Vernon Gholston :hithead:

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Who cares?????

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:11 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Hey Mel knows his stuff but it all comes down to if the player fits what that team is looking for. Hughes is a good pass rusher,but how was he at the run game,and would it take longer for us to coach him on how to stop the run. Thats the stuff Mel wont speak on, he will tell you all the facts about the player and how he thinks he will do in the NFL, not how he will do on your team.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:51 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Bottom line, I think all three of the guys we drafted in rounds 1-3 will start some time this season. To me, thats a good draft. We might even see guys like A.J. Edds and Reshad Jones getting a lot of playing time as well. Kiper's draft grade means nothing, it's pure speculation on his part. What matters is how many of these kids wind up making the team and contributing this year and in the future. I'm not saying Hughes and Joesph won't be good players, I just think the guys we've got are going to be a better fit for us.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:28 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

If somehow our 5th round pick Rashed Jones is starting at FS this year, this draft turns into a GREAT draft!!

An opening day starter in Rd 5, very rare!!! And from reports he has just as good a shot to win that job as Clemons and Culver (who aren't anything imprssive)

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]