View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 AJ Edds the new #54 (update) 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post AJ Edds the new #54 (update)
Yup... just heard it on twitter from Ethan J Skolnick. He said: "Client news:Dolphins gives draft pick AJ Edds jersey # 54" also "Stupid, under the circumstances, for Dolphins to give No. 54 to a rookie."

I don't see the big deal out of this... I know we all love Zach and his number should be retired in the future, but for now if the number helps encouarge AJ to be a great LB, then I don't have a problem with it at all... worst case scenario it doesn't work out and either we cut him or re-assing his number...

No link here, but I'm sure you have heard the news.

Update--> Some are saying it is just for training camp, If he makes the 53 man then he will switch the number. All rumors tough...

Last edited by Dan on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: AJ Edds the new #54
I don't have much opinion on this matter, even though I don't really think this "feels" right. Especially now with all the anti-Ireland press taking place, the timing isn't all that great.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:05 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I like Edds... but no one else should be wearing 54. Same for 99.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:58 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

If the kid is doing it in respect to Zach let him be...

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:00 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: AJ Edds the new #54 (update)
If it's not retired (yet), what's the big deal?

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:34 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

IamPZ wrote:
I like Edds... but no one else should be wearing 54. Same for 99.

I agree. Whether his number is retired or not, pay ZT some respect. You don't give a legend's number to a rookie...

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:44 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

It's not like the NY Yankees here where they retire every number after a guy hits a double in the 6th inning of a game in June!

There are only so many numbers on a team. Someone has to wear it at least through training camp and until cuts are made. I don't see it as a big deal

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:05 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I'd prefer they gave it to a rookie instead of a 28-29 year old player who retires after 3 years, why is that better? Here there is a chance for someone to play for the Dolphins in that number for the next 10 years...so what if he doesn't then someone else gets it (or it gets retired) ....maybe thats just my weird european attitude towards things...numbers never get retired over here ;)

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:07 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Zach won't have his number retired either.

He may get the HONOR ROLL but not a retired number.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:08 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

this is a non-story.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:37 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Newsflash: Due to all the retired jersey numbers, NFL to institute three digit jersey numbers for the 2024 season.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Nice. Doesn't bother me at all. Zach Thomas was a rookie at the beginning as well and came in straight from college and started wreaking havoc right off the bat. Maybe Edds plans on doing the same thing. I hope he lives up to the ol' #54. Good luck kid.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MIAcubano13 wrote:
Nice. Doesn't bother me at all. Zach Thomas was a rookie at the beginning as well and came in straight from college and started wreaking havoc right off the bat. Maybe Edds plans on doing the same thing. I hope he lives up to the ol' #54. Good luck kid.

I agree, Zach was our beast in the middle for a long time but it's time to move on. Let's just hope this kid can fill the monster shoes that Thomas left behind. I'm rooting for the kid, I hope he goes on to achieve great things just like Zach did. A number is just a number, Zach Thomas will always be remembered in the hearts of all Dolphins fans even if they don't retire his number.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:16 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
Newsflash: Due to all the retired jersey numbers, NFL to institute three digit jersey numbers for the 2024 season.

LOL.

Maybe the front office should have said, "Due to our respect to Zach Thomas we will not pass out his jersey number for two years." This is now the third year, so, ...

I agree that it does hurt to hear that someone else is going to wear it, but right now I'd like to see someone wearing #99.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:01 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing Cameron Wake in #99, or maybe even Jared Odrick. I think that Wake would look good in 99, cuz it will be a nice familiar sight to see 99 all over the QB, or getting up off him after he's been dropped. But, I wouldn't mind seeing Odrick, for the simple fact that I always thought 99 belonged on a huge dude, with a non-stop motor. From what I've heard that maybe Odrick.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:12 am

MIAcubano13 wrote:
Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing Cameron Wake in #99, or maybe even Jared Odrick. I think that Wake would look good in 99, cuz it will be a nice familiar sight to see 99 all over the QB, or getting up off him after he's been dropped. But, I wouldn't mind seeing Odrick, for the simple fact that I always thought 99 belonged on a huge dude, with a non-stop motor. From what I've heard that maybe Odrick.

I think what Dave meant was that he would like to see Jason Taylor still with the Dolphins.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:45 am

Quote:
It's not like the NY Yankees here where they retire every number after a guy hits a double in the 6th inning of a game in June!

Dont want to get off topic here & I know its a joke but please .... look at the 16 Yankess that have their numbers retired & I think some of them might even had hit a double in the 7th inning of a game in August!

Now if we are gonna give numbers to inspire guys , how about giving Pat White 13.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:59 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

FINesse wrote:
Now if we are gonna give numbers to inspire guys , how about giving Pat White 13.

I just threw up a little bit.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:55 am

joeschmoe wrote:
FINesse wrote:

So Marino is a bigger icon than Zach or Jason?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:56 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

IamPZ wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Thats not what I said, I just don't think that Marino and Pat White should even be mentioned in the same sentence. (even though I just did it lol)

IMO Zach and JT are just as big to this franchise as Marino was.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:59 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Yes, Marino is bigger. He led the team to a superbowl, set tons of records and was a no-brainer 1st ballot hall of famer. As much as I love them, JT and Zach did not have that kind of career. Marino's accomplishments on and off the field, and the fact that he went out as a Dolphin, place him as a bigger icon IMHO.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:42 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

IamPZ wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
FINesse wrote:

YES. How dare you even question this...

Last edited by Dolfanrar on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:55 am

In my eyes he isn't... I guess it depends on which generation you grew up in. I barely saw any Marino... and sure he was a great QB, but I grew up watching Zach and JT dominate on those defenses.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:56 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
In my eyes he isn't... I guess it depends on which generation you grew up in. I barely saw any Marino... and sure he was a great QB, but I grew up watching Zach and JT dominate on those defenses.

Blasphemer :angry: :angry:

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:31 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:

C'mon man... JT and Zach are nice players. They're Pro Bowl players. But they're not sure fire Hall of Famers. Jason Taylor will likely get into Canton someday, especially if he plays another couple years and puts up 7 or 8 sacks a year.

Zach Thomas was good. He was not great. He will not be a Hall of Fame player. He is not one of the greatest of all time.

Both should end up in the ring of honor. But NEITHER should have their numbers retired. That honor is reserved for the best of the best -- the record setters, the all-time greats. Marino fits into that category. Jason and Zach aren't even close.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

It the the player not the # on there backs....Yeah Zach was a hell of player for us and so was JT but they're gone and they left there #s behind,so us them. Now the #13 is a true legend and should never be worn agin,but as I recall there was a player before Marino who had the #13,and I think he played very well for us to. Bottom line if we think Edds has to "earn" the #,then give him #56 to start with then see if he can work his way up to #54. Oh and #56 J.Offerdahl was darn good to before Zach came along. IMOP

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:27 am

IamPZ wrote:

Hey, I grew up/am growing up in the JT and ZT era too, but man PZ, even I'm not dumb enough to put those two, or anybody in the same class as Marino.
:ann0y:

Marino was, is and ever shall be the greatest Dolphin, football player and athlete of all time. Period. It has been set in stone by The Almighty and shall not be tampered with.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
It the the player not the # on there backs....Yeah Zach was a hell of player for us and so was JT but they're gone and they left there #s behind,so us them. Now the #13 is a true legend and should never be worn agin,but as I recall there was a player before Marino who had the #13,and I think he played very well for us to. Bottom line if we think Edds has to "earn" the #,then give him #56 to start with then see if he can work his way up to #54. Oh and #56 J.Offerdahl was darn good to before Zach came along. IMOP

Griese was #12. I can't think of any other former #13s... who'd you have in mind?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:41 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

k-dash wrote:
phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:

Griese was #12. I can't think of any other former #13s... who'd you have in mind?

jake scott, safety from the "72 undefeated squad

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

omg I can't believe I forgot that. My BAD.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm

IamPZ wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
FINesse wrote:

You're kidding with this question, right?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:04 pm

IamPZ wrote:

It shouldn't matter who you grew up watching.

One guy is in the discussion for the best quarterback of ALL TIME.

The other guys haven't even made it into the Hall of Fame yet.

C'mon....

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:05 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

IamPZ wrote:

PZ, the forum IQ meter just fell 50 points, buddy. We're going to have to come up with penance for you to get back into our good graces ... like crawling around Dolphins Stadium until you get to Danny's statue;)

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:28 pm
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

PZ, the forum IQ meter just fell 50 points, buddy. We're going to have to come up with penance for you to get back into our good graces ... like crawling around Dolphins Stadium until you get to Danny's statue;)

And then doing it 61,361 times.
:yay:

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:35 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Quick opinion: This is bull. Sure there are only a few numbers retired in team history, but there is a reason no one has worn this since Zach.

Additionally, the fact that Ireland/Parcells did not allow him to sign a one-day contract to retire with the team and hold a quick press conference is absolutely ridiculous and pathetic.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:56 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

And then doing it 61,361 times.
:yay:

LMAOx2 :yay: :yay:

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:14 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Marino is much bigger than ZT or JT. 13 is done for the Dolphins.

54 should be in play. 99 should be in play. If they are sought numbers and the number is not retired, this is a non-issue.

I loved ZT and JT in their prime, but that is now passed. Neither can compare in any way to Marino - regardless of the era you became a fan.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:58 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Someone like me has followed the Fins since 1970 and I've seen all the players. So, when I think of the Dolphins, I think of Marino and Csonka. I'd hate to see anyone wear either of those two numbers. I think only #13 is retired, and no one is passing out #39.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:29 pm
Profile WWW

Lol kill me all you want but that's just my 2 cents.... Marino was an all time great, I agree... and when most people think Miami they think Dan Marino... but dang I grew up idolizing these 2... they just hold a closer place in my heart I guess lol

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Big Dave wrote:
Someone like me has followed the Fins since 1970 and I've seen all the players. So, when I think of the Dolphins, I think of Marino and Csonka. I'd hate to see anyone wear either of those two numbers. I think only #13 is retired, and no one is passing out #39.

Man Dave , I think of Manny Fernandez. I guess we are old.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next