View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Nolan’s jump from Denver to Miami clarified 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

At the back of my mind I cannot shake the thought that perhaps Nolan let it be known that he'd rather be in Miami than Denver and the word got out. It looks like McDaniels was looking to also go in another direction. I don't think in all the years of watching this game that I've seen anything like this ... but since I am the resident PHinfever dinosaur I may have fotten some NFL history on the way;)

Steve Wyche wrote:
January 19th, 2010
Steve Wyche

With speculation surrounding why Mike Nolan decided to leave the Broncos for a lateral move to become the Dolphins’ defensive coordinator, here’s some clarity from what I’ve learned after speaking to sources close to the situation:

There is no acrimony between Nolan and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. The Dolphins sent the Broncos a written request to interview Nolan. McDaniels approached Nolan with the request and, in a nutshell, asked him if he’d rather be in Miami or Denver. Nolan said he would like to interview with the Dolphins. McDaniels then granted Nolan permission and wished him well.

The Broncos have allowed their assistants to interview for jobs with other teams this offseason, taking the position that if a coach has an opportunity for a promotion, it wouldn’t stand in the way. That it did the same for Nolan to make a lateral move was somewhat interesting.

Possibly factoring into Nolan’s decision, his contract with the Broncos supposedly was set to expire after next season, as will a lot of the team’s assistant coaches’ deals. With the possibility of a work stoppage, Nolan foresaw being able to negotiate a contract that would pay him through a lockout with the Dolphins, should the NFL and the NFL Players Association not be able to finalize a labor deal before the 2011 season.

With a deal coming together so quickly with the Dolphins –- one day after Nolan split from Denver –- parameters of a deal had to have been in place before or shortly after he left the Broncos.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/19/nolans- ... clarified/

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Nolan’s jump from Denver to Miami clarified
Man... is it me? or Denver does not know how to keep valuable personnel in their franchise.

It all started with their coach, then the QB, all year their #1 WR (wich they will prolly trade, cut or whatever before next season) and now the guy that fixed their defense in 6 months.

Is it all coincidence? I doubt it...

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:57 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

So his contract being up, him maybe not on the same page with McDaniels and all the other things I have read seem interesting. Considering he did do a great job transitioning the low ranked 2008 4-3 to the high ranked 3-4 I wouldnt ave considered him being let go because of his job. He did a great job.

I think they guy just wanted to be in Miama over Denver..

I mean you decide......

Denver:

Or

Miama:

Seems to be an easy choice for me.... :yay:

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:47 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

10acjed wrote:

Miama:

Seems to be an easy choice for me.... :yay:

wellll... since you put it that way

:hithead:

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:48 am
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Ya no kidding......LOL

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:57 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Fat Bastard: "I'd like to have a go at that philly"

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:07 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Here's more from PFT.Com

Quote:
Report: McDaniels told Nolan there would be less blitzing

Posted by Mike Florio on January 20, 2010 11:42 AM ET

As folks in Denver try to figure out why Mike Nolan is no longer the team's defensive coordinator, Ron Borges of the Boston Herald reports that the divorce was caused not by Bill Parcells sniffing around for someone to run Miami's defense, but by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels trying to tell Nolan how to do his job.

Per Borges, McDaniels told Nolan "in no uncertain terms" that the Broncos would be blitzing less frequently in 2010 than they did in 2009.

And so the two men decided to part ways.

A cynic might think that McDaniels simply wanted to hire former Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees, and that Pees possibly was motivated to add to the coaching staff a guy with NFL head-coaching experience, who could be a viable candidate to take over the Broncos on an interim basis if the 2-8 momentum to end McDaniels' first season continues into his second.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/20/report-mcdaniels-told-nolan-there-would-be-less-blitzing/

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
Fat Bastard: "I'd like to have a go at that philly"

:)

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]