View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Woulda, coulda, shoulda about Dolphins draft 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Woulda, coulda, shoulda about Dolphins draft
Quote:
Want to play the how would you feel game?

IF I told you that one of my contacts in the NFL coaching community, a guy who specifically coaches defensive backs, says his team had new Miami Dolphins safety Reshad Jones rated ahead of USC’s Taylor Mays on his draft board…..would you feel better about this draft class?

If I told you that a lot of teams were surprised Miami Dolphins’ first-round pick, Jared Odrick, wasn’t amongst the draft’s top 15 picks, and that this Penn State standout was considered the best 3-4 end in the 2010 class…

If I told you the Dolphins were so determined to pick the best available player they ignored that fact that there’s presently four starter worthy guards
... Why? Because MAYBE Jerry had a second-round draft grade on their board….

If I told you the Dolphins didn’t select a tight end because Brandon Marshall’s addition makes the receiver unit the team’s deepest and most talented group, therefore the Dolphins will likely be using less two tight end packages ...

Before you get caught up in sexy names, sexy drafts, before you lust after the ones that got away, before you have a heart attack about the woulda, coulda, and shoulda aspects of second-guessing the Trifecta (and second-guessing them is what I get paid to do…and feel I do pretty well) please understand that NOBODY in the NFL has been more successful building MORE NFL franchises than Bill Parcells.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:30 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Woulda, coulda, shoulda about Dolphins draft
This is a good point to read,but no matter what there will always be some woulda,coulda,oh and shoulda's out there. Thats what makes fun for some ppl,they sit back and say that pick was dum or why this guy and not that guy. The only way to really know who will pan out for us is to have a flash foward,like in that t.v show. lol

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:39 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Good perspective, but this is Miami we're talking about. Our expectations will never be met unless we go 19-0, and I bet that even that team will be ridiculed before training camps open.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:
Good perspective, but this is Miami we're talking about. Our expectations will never be met unless we go 19-0, and I bet that even that team will be ridiculed before training camps open.

We haven't won a championship since 1982, haven't attending the big game since 1984, or a championship game since 1992. We have a right to ridicule.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:07 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

We haven't won a championship since 1982, haven't attending the big game since 1984, or a championship game since 1992. We have a right to ridicule.

Did I ever say you didn't?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

Did I ever say you didn't?

No, did I make it seem as if you did? I was just saying that's why expectations will never be met.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:14 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

Actually it was 1973, but you're right.

Our job as fans is to let the team know that they are not performing up to par.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Pretty sure we lost to Washington in 1982. Don't quote me, but I think we lost 27-17 on January 30, 1983 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:21 pm

Ski_Money wrote:
Pretty sure we lost to Washington in 1982. Don't quote me, but I think we lost 27-17 on January 30, 1983 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA.

It was also 71 degrees at game time, and 64 by game's end. It was partly cloudy, and the attendance was 67,546. But don't quote me on that.
:ann0y:

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:

Yep..thought of Washington, imagined a win. So even longer..1973

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:30 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Well??? Is he telling us???

;)

I think Reshads weaknesses are among those that can be trained, he has a lot of picks and good instincts and with a heavy hitter like YB still starting he can be allowed to roam more, no? I like that pick especially so late

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

And John Riggins was the MVP. Oh and the Dolphins were favored by 3. Did you know a 30sec SB commercial only cost $400,000 back then?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:36 pm

Riggins is still running on that Dolphin Defense.

Was that the game where friggin Bokamper blew an easy INT when Theisman knocked the ball out of his hands??

BTW - Dolphin Drafts ... has there ever been one when we didnt think it was great a few days after it ended.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:18 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:

Was that the game where friggin Bokamper blew an easy INT when Theisman knocked the ball out of his hands??

BTW - Dolphin Drafts ... has there ever been one when we didnt think it was great a few days after it ended.

Yes, just about every draft that Wanny was in charge of.
And personally, I thought the one Cam Cameron handled was a piece of c**p too.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:38 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Yes, just about every draft that Wanny was in charge of.
And personally, I thought the one Cam Cameron handled was a piece of c**p too.

No kidding. If Finesse thought that Dolphins drafts with Wanstadt and Cameron were great, then he doesn't know much about keeping things objective.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:59 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think are last real,real good draft is when JJ was here,that guy knows how to pick some player's to. The only thing he never really hit on was a (wr),he did try with Y.Green but to many knee prob.Oh wait can't remember if JJ drafted O.J McDuffie or not? But any way JJ got us,JT,Zack,S.Madison,P.Surtain,L.Izzo,who all made it to more than 1pro bowls. He also got us K.Jabar,S.Prichett,R.Konrad,plus some key vets. We just couldn't get over that last hump,but know think we have the right FO to help us with that.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:43 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He couldn't get much of a running back either.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:14 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I haven't been around since before the draft until now -- too busy covering it from a Florida Gators angle -- but I felt this was as good of a post as any to drop my overall thoughts.

Loved our first-round pick and safety selection, but - overall - I feel like the we passed up on a number of good players who could have made impacts right away and filled positions of need. I could get into a few of them, but it is really worthless at this point because they're not on the team.

As far as this whole "let's draft four-year players who were also captains" (many of whom [if not all of whom] played at the Senior Bowl), that bothers me. I know that there is a benefit of taking what you know rather than what is unknown, but the scouting department evaluates players all year and it seems - to me - they let the Senior Bowl and the presence of "leadership" get too much into their heads.

This team needed to improve greatly on defense - but it also had a LOT of work to do on offense. The team added ZERO playmakers in the draft (I realize people are counting Marshall here because he was traded for a pick - I don't) even though they had multiple opportunities to add guys who could make an impact.

The two starting running backs on this team (one of whom is coming off another injury) could be gone in 2011, yet there was no effort made to draft an impact player to replace one of them. (Again, granted, a rookie RB is perfectly capable of starting for a team should we need that next year).

Overall, I was pleased with the draft and the quality of talent the team got as a whole. But there was too much of a focus on certain characteristics and positions and not others.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]