View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 ESPN's Mel Kiper's Dolphin Draft Grade - C- 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post ESPN's Mel Kiper's Dolphin Draft Grade - C-
Quote:
Miami Dolphins

Summary: This draft for me is really Jared Odrick and the rest. Odrick can be a really good player, another active, disruptive tackle in a draft full of them. Koa Misi could be good, but not right away because he'll need to spend a little time transitioning from defensive end to outside linebacker. After that, I thought the Dolphins reached a couple of times. Perhaps Nolan Carroll can recover to become a pretty good player.
Draft grade: C-

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/ ... raftGrades

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: ESPN's Mel Kiper's Dolphin Draft Grade - C-
I guess Kiper's feelings were hurt when Parcells didn't follow Kiper's draft outline;)

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Like I said in the other thread, none of these talking heads, really know what's going to happen... they can tell you all they want about the players, and they can guess, just like any of us can as to what's going to happen, but in the end, nobody knows.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:25 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I don't now, nor have I ever put much stock in what Kiper says. That being said, how many on here would be high fiving him right now if he gave us an A+ for the draft?

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:30 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Phin wrote:
I don't now, nor have I ever put much stock in what Kiper says. That being said, how many on here would be high fiving him right now if he gave us an A+ for the draft?

Not I sir, I would high five him in the noggin with a dead fish maybe. I've never liked Kiper, and I don't think I ever will.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:31 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Coots wrote:

Not I sir, I would high five him in the noggin with a dead fish maybe. I've never liked Kiper, and I don't think I ever will.

I agree with you there. I'm not sure how he ever got anointed as the be all end all draft guru. He can take his big board, turn it side ways.. and shove it. :ann0y:

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:43 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I don't have a problem with Kiper (although he and McShay cannot stand each other). He evaluated our draft and didn't like it. Some of the fans felt the same way. No big deal.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Did you watch this guy during the entire draft Dave? I mean, his attitude, his demeanor when someone doesn't do things the way he thinks they should, is incredibly ridiculous. If he is so danged smart about the draft, why don't some team, hire him to do this type of stuff for them? His evaluation of talent, is what it is, his evaluation... worth more in some others eyes than some, and lesser so in some others eyes. I'll watch, listen to McShay or Mayock any day before I would Kiper.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:09 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

It actually comforts me that Kiper doesn't approve of our draft. He's just an espn tool. I don't if anyone saw the discussions between Mel & Jon Gruden but was hilarious. I'll reenact it for you;
Mel "This player has the greatest draft value in this round. I don't know why they didn't take him!"
Jon "Because he's not that good! That team doesn't want him" . . . . (awkward silence) . . . . . & then the whole world realizes which person actually knows football

As for Pete's B+ I actually think its fair. Mostly because we don't know how its going to work out with Odrick or Starks on DT or NT. Its a huge experiment to make with our 1st round pick

Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:14 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

yeah Kiper is kinda a putz always has been! I Like Mayock The best Then Mcshay

Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:58 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

* He once snidely remarked of the Colts, "That's why [they] keep picking number two every year," after their 1994 second overall selection. Kiper was widely critical of the Colts’ pick that year, Marshall Faulk, who turned out to be such a bust that he is expected to be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in the near future.

* In 2005, Kiper praised 8th overall selection, wide receiver Mike Williams, saying, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction." Many people have yet to fully recognize the abilities Kiper saw in Williams. These people include coaches, fans, analysts, referees, the players on the teams he played for and against, and anyone else who has seen him in a football jersey. Williams’ journey to the Hall of Fame suffered a slight detour in 2007 when he stopped playing football and no one wanted to sign him.

* In 1999, he touted the potential of Oregon quarterback Akili Smith to exceed at the professional level. Fans have high hopes for Smith to have a great season this year and to make a big statement in his league.

* In 1998, Kiper argued that Ryan Leaf, 2nd overall pick, had an attitude that would be an asset in the NFL. He has since become one of professional football's most notable quarterbacks.

* In 2001, Kiper predicted a dismal 0-16 season for the New England Patriots. The team finished slightly better than that prediction, managing to win just one Super Bowl the entire season.

Let's not forget he totally missed on Terrell Davis and Tom Brady. And He sure as heck never heard of Kurt Warner.

Last edited by finfan808 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:00 am
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Phin wrote:

I agree Phin (by the way have you noticed how much in agreement we have been lately ... what is this board coming to??)
One day we love a guy like Peter King when he says some positive stuff & than the next when he crisizes the consensus is "what does he know".

Quote:
I don't have a problem with Kiper (although he and McShay cannot stand each other). He evaluated our draft and didn't like it. Some of the fans felt the same way. No big deal.

Also agree there.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

finfan808 wrote:
* He once snidely remarked of the Colts, "That's why [they] keep picking number two every year," after their 1994 second overall selection. Kiper was widely critical of the Colts’ pick that year, Marshall Faulk, who turned out to be such a bust that he is expected to be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in the near future.

* In 2005, Kiper praised 8th overall selection, wide receiver Mike Williams, saying, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction." Many people have yet to fully recognize the abilities Kiper saw in Williams. These people include coaches, fans, analysts, referees, the players on the teams he played for and against, and anyone else who has seen him in a football jersey. Williams’ journey to the Hall of Fame suffered a slight detour in 2007 when he stopped playing football and no one wanted to sign him.

* In 1999, he touted the potential of Oregon quarterback Akili Smith to exceed at the professional level. Fans have high hopes for Smith to have a great season this year and to make a big statement in his league.

* In 1998, Kiper argued that Ryan Leaf, 2nd overall pick, had an attitude that would be an asset in the NFL. He has since become one of professional football's most notable quarterbacks.

* In 2001, Kiper predicted a dismal 0-16 season for the New England Patriots. The team finished slightly better than that prediction, managing to win just one Super Bowl the entire season.

Let's not forget he totally missed on Terrell Davis and Tom Brady. And He sure as heck never heard of Kurt Warner.

good Stuff! :)

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:06 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

We got a C- because we passed on Dan Williams and Sergio Kindle which Mel had us taking. I think its bull just because we didnt draft Mels big names

Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:32 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Cisco_56 wrote:
We got a C- because we passed on Dan Williams and Sergio Kindle which Mel had us taking. I think its bull just because we didnt draft Mels big names

You hit the nail on the head. If we had taken those two guys, drafted a wideout in the 3rd instead of Jerry, and drafted the same the rest of the way, Kiper would have had us at least at an A- because we addressed all of the needs he saw. Kiper just looks at what he sees as the teams four biggest needs, then he picks four players in the first four rounds for that team, if the team gets all four players or some better players fall in the later rounds in his mind, then the team gets an A. For each player/position they don't address in his mock, they lose a letter grade. So for us, we drafted linebackers and pair of secondary players, this is the only thing that kept us from falling to a D in his mind. I'm not worried about it though, because when Nolan turns us into a top ten defense this season everyone will understand what happened. A defensive coordinator can do a lot with an entire draft at his disposal.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:04 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

No need to hate on Kiper.....he is an analyst that analyzes college players and their ability to translate into the NFL game. From that analysis he assigns a draft value for the players.

Bottom line is that the players the Dolphins selected and the position where they selected them did not match up well with the value Kiper assigned to them. Thereby the dolphins get a C- for a grade today.

The real grade for a draft happens 2-3 years down the road, and even Kiper would agree with that. It is a part of his job to assign a grade a day after the draft, and if he had a choice of whether to assign a grade this soon I think he'd probably prefer not to do it?

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:18 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

keebler_kahn wrote:
No need to hate on Kiper.....he is an analyst that analyzes college players and their ability to translate into the NFL game. From that analysis he assigns a draft value for the players.

Bottom line is that the players the Dolphins selected and the position where they selected them did not match up well with the value Kiper assigned to them. Thereby the dolphins get a C- for a grade today.

The real grade for a draft happens 2-3 years down the road, and even Kiper would agree with that. It is a part of his job to assign a grade a day after the draft, and if he had a choice of whether to assign a grade this soon I think he'd probably prefer not to do it?

I understand what you are saying but he also gave a long snapper a 3rd rounde grade are you kidding me a long snapper to go 3rd round that pretty much tells me his value doesnt makes sense. Im pretty sure if we would of took him 3rd round instead of john jerry we would of been up to a B+ grade.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:26 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Cisco_56 wrote:
keebler_kahn wrote:

I understand what you are saying but he also gave a long snapper a 3rd rounde grade are you kidding me a long snapper to go 3rd round that pretty much tells me his value doesnt makes sense.

Yeah I know.... :)

even McShay was questioning the grade he gave the long snapper........ :hithead:

Oh well, ESPN says that he's the expert........or at least they want the public to believe that so everyone will tune in to ESPN rather than NFL Network or anyone other station to watch the draft.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

finfan808 wrote:
* He once snidely remarked of the Colts, "That's why [they] keep picking number two every year," after their 1994 second overall selection. Kiper was widely critical of the Colts’ pick that year, Marshall Faulk, who turned out to be such a bust that he is expected to be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in the near future..
Actually it was Trev Alberts selection that Kiper questioned.

finfan808 wrote:
* In 2005, Kiper praised 8th overall selection, wide receiver Mike Williams, saying, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction." Many people have yet to fully recognize the abilities Kiper saw in Williams. These people include coaches, fans, analysts, referees, the players on the teams he played for and against, and anyone else who has seen him in a football jersey. Williams’ journey to the Hall of Fame suffered a slight detour in 2007 when he stopped playing football and no one wanted to sign him..
He recently stated tha Williams was his worst evaluation, but the fact is you cannot judge a players heart after he signs a contract.
Let's not forget he totally missed on Terrell Davis and Tom Brady. And He sure as heck never heard of Kurt Warner.[/quote]

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]