View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 Pick 119 4th Round - AJ Edds OLB 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Pick 119 4th Round - AJ Edds OLB
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/a.j.-edds?id=496921

Just happened to catch this out of the corner of my eye....... We picked him, not sure how we acquired the pick yet...

Quote:
ESPN INSIDER

OVERALL FOOTBALL TRAITS:

Production 2
2006: (10/1) 9 tackles, 1 FF.
2007: (12/12) 80 tackles, 3.5 TFL, 1 INT, 4 PBU, 1 FF.
2008: (13/13) 59 tackles, 4.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 INT, 4 PBU, 2 FR, 1 FF.
2009: (13/13) 78 tackles, 4.5 TFL, .5 sack, 5 INT, 4 PBU. Second-team All-Big Ten.

Height-Weight-Speed 2
Possesses good height and bulk to frame along with above-average top-end speed.

Durability 1
Durability does not appear to be an issue as he has had no injuries that we are currently aware of throughout career.

Intangibles 2
Voted team captain for senior season. Three year academic All-Big Ten selection (2007-09) and recipient of the Forest Evashenski Scholastic Achievement Award given to the player who displays a high degree of efficiency both in the classroom and on the field.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER SPECIFIC TRAITS:

Instincts/Recognition 2
Does a good job finding and reacting to the play. Recognizes outside run and does a good job of keeping outside leverage. Disciplined and rarely bites on play action. Seen communicating and lining up teammates pre snap. Needs to show quicker recognition of screens both out of the backfield and on the perimeter to receivers.

Strength/Toughness 3
Plays with good leverage and balance. Locks out arms to stack tight ends when lined up along the line of scrimmage. Needs to show more violence and tenacity at the point of attack and will run around blocks on occasion. Can set the edge working against tight ends but can get engulfed by bigger offensive tackles or when taking on double teams. Gives consistent effort in pursuit.

Range vs. Run 4
Shows good lateral movement when keeping shoulders square and working down the line. However, is tight in the hips when asked to turn and run when changing directions. Closing burst is average. Takes good angles in pursuit and wades through trash well.

Tackling 2
A strong overall tackler. Not a consistent drive through tackler and lacks explosiveness in hips to deliver violent strike. Fundamentally sound in the open field and does a nice job of breaking down to secure tackle.

3rd Down Capabilities 3
He is a mixed bag in this area. On one hand, very reliable dropping into coverage. Gets proper depth in drop zone and keeps head on swivel to locate crossers in his area. Also shows awareness to find and get underneath throwing lanes. Does a nice job of carrying slot receivers or tight ends to the safety in cover two scheme. Possesses above average ball skills and can consistently come down with interception. On the flip side, he has limitations in man coverage and is not much of a pass rusher at this point. Lacks power and does not display a variety of pass rushing moves coming off the edge. Does not have closing burst to consistently get home when having clear run at quarterback.

1 = Exceptional
2 = Above average
3 = Average
4 = Below average
5 = Marginal

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/pl ... 24/aj-edds

Quote:
"EXPERT COMMENTS"

ESPN SCOUTS INC
What he brings: Edds is a bit of a reach here but not a surprise. He has the instincts and intelligence that a guy like Bill Parcells covets at the linebacker position. He is a bit limited as far as overall athleticism and range but compensates with great angles in pursuit and ability to hold up in coverage.

How he fits: The Dolphins definitely needed OLB depth and additional talent in this draft. While Edds lacks the upside and playmaking talent of Koa Misi, his toughness and smarts will complement Misi well. He'll be in competition with Cameron Wake, but both of these players will have a real chance to start for the Dolphins as the season progresses.

NFL.COM
The Dolphins add A.J Edds to provide depth to their linebacker corps and special teams units. Though he isn't regarded as a great athlete, Edds is a high-motor player with the toughness and competitiveness to excel as a back up.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:46 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Dolphins trade to get Dallas 4th round ..
AJ EDDS

another sr bowl player.

6"4 247 from Iowa

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:47 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: Pick 119 4th Round - AJ Edds OLB
What is your feeling on Edds, Iowa?

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:47 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Traded up 7 spots, and gave up a 6th.

I don't know how he fits our D. He's not a good enough pass rusher to be a 34 OLB. He's more likely a 3rd down coverage LB. Not sure why, but....

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:48 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I like the pick... we're very thin at LB and we could definitely use a coverage guy in that unit...

This video is great on him:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:49 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Video on AJ EDDS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do7aIOuBD7o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX56VUsKVtk-Orange Bowl interview

Last edited by MIA4EVER on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:53 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

IamPZ wrote:
I like the pick... we're very thin at LB and we could definitely use a coverage guy in that unit...

This video is great on him:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Wow....

This kid has some hands.... Looks like we are addressing that big open space I saw TE's blaze through last season...

Hope he has what it takes... Would love to see some of that footage with him in a Fins uniform...

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:56 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Edds is a LB that is good in coverage in regards to TE and zone coverage. I would like to hear Iowa thoughts on Edds as well. Here is some insight from NFL.com

Overview

Edds has been a productive three year starter for the Hawkeye defense. He wins with intelligence, toughness, instincts and technique rather than elite athleticism. Edds has decent range in pursuit and is aggressive to the pile. He is effective leveraging tight ends but needs added strength and power to set the edge versus larger offensive lineman. Edds needs to react quicker as route progressions unfold but has enough athleticism and instincts to be an effective zone coverage defender. He may be a liability in man schemes versus athletic tight ends and backs. Edds is a reliable open field tackler but not explosive on contact. Edds is a good football player that will likely contribute on special teams as well as giving valuable depth in his rookie season.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:59 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The draft "experts" are calling this guy a reach at this position. So we traded up for a 'reach'? I'm more skeptical of the 'draft experts' than I am Ireland, but it makes you wonder why we traded up for the guy?

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:04 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Phin wrote:
The draft "experts" are calling this guy a reach at this position. So we traded up for a 'reach'? I'm more skeptical of the 'draft experts' than I am Ireland, but it makes you wonder why we traded up for the guy?

Look through the last 5 years drafts at the "experts" top picks.......... Look at the 2008 WR's, nobody in the top 10 are even starters, Eddie Royal was 11th, Devone Bess was 20 something, I guess they really know their stuff. They can reach into a bucket of acid for all I care... We have a need at coverage LB's, and this guy is a coverage LB... Why is he a "reach"

Last edited by 10acjed on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:08 am

Phin wrote:

Cincy is in need of some LB's, and we traded up right infront of them, so, maybe we thought they would take him?

They also called Hartline and Langford big reaches, so, we'll see.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:09 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
Phin wrote:

Look through the last 5 years drafts at the "experts" top picks........... They can reach into a bucket of acid for all I care... We have a need at coverage LB's, and this guy is a coverage LB... Why is he a "reach"

I didn't say he was a reach, I said the draft 'experts' say he is a reach. I don't put too much stock in what they say, and I'm not saying I agree with them that Edds is a 'reach', but I'm wondering why we traded up several spots to get him?

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:10 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Depends on the experts you are referring to. WalterFootball.com likes the pick a lot and had Edds rated as a 3rd round guy. Pete Prisco from cbssportsline likes the pick as well and gave Miami a B for the pick. WalterFootball.com gave Miami an A.

Looking at those clips, he has very nice size and moves very well for a kid his size and looks fluid in coverage with very good hands. I liked what I saw.

Miami is certainly going heavy defense and this is what we thought they would do.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:25 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Like someone else said, you gotta like his coverage skills. He is going to help us tremendously against those tight ends across the middle. I just wish we had an extra third or fourth rounder to have spent on a free safety.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:40 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Phin wrote:
Like someone else said, you gotta like his coverage skills. He is going to help us tremendously against those tight ends across the middle. I just wish we had an extra third or fourth rounder to have spent on a free safety.

That would have been really nice.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:42 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
Depends on the experts you are referring to. WalterFootball.com likes the pick a lot and had Edds rated as a 3rd round guy. Pete Prisco from cbssportsline likes the pick as well and gave Miami a B for the pick. WalterFootball.com gave Miami an A.

Sports Illustrated has him going in the 3rd round as well. Maybe not so much of a reach after all, eh?

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

xraytaylor wrote:

I like him. I wasn't sure he'd be a guy that Miami would look at, but he's big and has a nose for the football. Every Iowa linebacker is stout, plays low and makes plays. Obviously I'm biased though.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:58 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Iowafin wrote:
xraytaylor wrote:

I like him. I wasn't sure he'd be a guy that Miami would look at, but he's big and has a nose for the football. Every Iowa linebacker is stout, plays low and makes plays. Obviously I'm biased though.

hard nosed sounds like...a little like Zach, only bigger?

thanks iowa

Last edited by xraytaylor on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:08 am
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Quote:
The Dolphins came back to outside linebacker with their first pick of Day 3 of the 2010 NFL Draft, trading up seven spots to take A.J. Edds of Iowa in the fourth round.

A three-year starter for the Hawkeyes, Edds is a 6-foot-4, 246-pounder who ranked fourth on the team last season with 78 tackles. His five interceptions tied for fourth-best in the Big Ten and 32nd in the nation.

Along with Jeremiah Hunter and Pat Angerer, he was part of a linebacker corps that combined for 312 tackles.

Edds was an Academic All-America his last three seasons and served as defensive captain for the Hawkeyes.

Edds is the fourth player taken by Miami to have played in the Senior Bowl, though he played for the North side. He said he did have conversations at the team hotel with the Dolphins coaching staff, which coached the South.

After playing in a 4-3 at Iowa, he’ll be asked to make the switch to a 3-4 in Miami. “I don’t see that as a huge challenge,” he said.

Edds played for the Hawkeyes in the 2010 Orange Bowl, where they beat Georgia Tech 24-14. “To be honest,” he said, “the idea of coming back to play in that same (Sun Life) stadium was the further thing from my mind.”

The Dolphins traded their sixth-round pick (No. 179) to the Cowboys to move up from No. 126 to No. 119 to get Edds. They now have five picks remaining. Their next pick is the 14th pick in the fifth round, No. 145 overall.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... -of-day-3/

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:08 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

[quote="10acjed"][quote="Phin"]Look at the 2008 WR's, nobody in the top 10 are even starters, Eddie Royal was 11th, Devone Bess was 20 something/quote]

Bess was an undrafted guy out of Hawaii. But, I do understand your point. That's why I can't believe they even employ a guy like Kiper. He's so off on most of the things he says and then when he's wrong he blames the FO of teams.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:10 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

xraytaylor wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
xraytaylor wrote:

hard nosed sounds like...a little like Zach, only bigger?

thanks iowa

I saw a lot of guys comparing Pat Angerer to Zach Thomas last night. That was fun. But I'd say Edds is more like Chad Greenway.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:13 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I saw a lot of guys comparing Pat Angerer to Zach Thomas last night. That was fun. But I'd say Edds is more like Chad Greenway.[/quote]

I like that comparison. Chad Greenway has turned into a very nice player for Minnesota.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:20 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

finfan808 wrote:
Bess was an undrafted guy out of Hawaii. But, I do understand your point. That's why I can't believe they even employ a guy like Kiper. He's so off on most of the things he says and then when he's wrong he blames the FO of teams.

I know, I think Parcels puts it best when he relates the draft to a craps shoot... If you look at his coaching tree most of the good ones enter the draft armed with picks...

Kiper just picks the "best player available" alot of the times, and these guys miss alot. The ones that catch you by suprise are the best ones.... Guys that go undrafted, or that are picked low and develop into stars are the ones I like... Heck, Brandon Marshall didnt go til the 4th round I think... He is now considered top 3 WR in the sport.....

I like this kid, he played in the senior bowl and in the orange bowl. Both are places Sparano was at, I was kinda curious if he saw anything at the Orange bowl he may have liked...

I am happy with this draft... Kinda excited to see who we bring in from the undrafted list...

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Traded up 7 spots, and gave up a 6th.

I don't know how he fits our D. He's not a good enough pass rusher to be a 34 OLB. He's more likely a 3rd down coverage LB. Not sure why, but....

Remember last season when we couldn't cover a runningback or tightend to save our lives? That's why we got this guy! I'm happy we got someone who can finally cover and wrap up tackle. I think his cover skills will complement Koa Misi's pass rush skills. I like both of these guys, both seem like they play with a high motor.
:yay:

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
• Iowa outside linebacker A.J. Edds: Didn't rush the passer much (2.5 career sacks) but skilled in coverage (seven career interceptions). ESPN's Scouts Inc. called him ``a bit of a reach. Lacks the upside and playmaking of Misi'' but ``his toughness and smarts will complement Misi well.'' NFL Network's Mike Mayock believes he's better at inside linebacker in Miami's defense.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/24/1 ... z0m4DC2GbP

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Maybe that's why Ireland could predict fourth-rounder A.J. Edds, an inside linebacker from Iowa, would come in and immediately contribute on as a third-down coverage specialist.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... full.story

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said he expects an immediate impact from Edds, a three-year starter for the Hawkeyes whose coverage skills are NFL-ready.

An outside linebacker for Iowa, Edds had five interceptions in 2009 and routinely covered tight ends and even slot receivers. While Edds will play inside linebacker in the NFL, Ireland said he has the tools to excel in the team's nickel-coverage packages this season.

"He's a very good cover linebacker," Ireland said. "He's big (6-3, 246) and he's very fast (4.6-range in the 40) for the position."

Edds also was a team captain and a three-time Academic All-Big Ten Conference selection that scored a 31 (out of 50) on his Wonderlic Test - highest among Dolphins rookies.

"Great kid, top character, excellent worker," Ireland said of Edds.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dol ... s_dolphins

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Not going to do a play by play like me other 2, but here's a quick summary of his senior bowl after re-watching his snaps:

Quick review of the stats: 2 tackles, 1 fumble recovery, 1 INT.

- Gets down on ST's pretty fast.
- Hustles to the football.
- Reads QB's eyes pretty well.
- Very quick and uses his hands well to shed blocks on run plays.
- Just a very fundamentally sound LB. You can tell he has been coached well.
- Very natural out in coverage. Good against the run.

Overall, a good performance. He was around the ball a lot which was good, even if he wasn't make a tackle. He had the FR and INT, so he found ways to make big plays as well. I like him.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:41 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Ireland says they expect him to have an immediate impact. He is supposed to be a very good coverage linebacker.

That was a major weakness last year.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:55 pm

I see a guy that does a little bit of everything. Pressure the passer, stuff the run, excellent in coverage.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Like everything I have read about him.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Yeah like Rich already said, Ireland expects him to make an immediate impact as a 3rd down coverahe ILB.

Miami's priority this off season was clearly to get faster. Dansby, Edds, Misi....all these guys were some of the fastest LB's available.

Dansby and Edds out in coverage on 3rd down, with Wake on one side, Misi on the other, and Starks and Odrick on the inside...I like!

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]