View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Tanny's Deep Passes to Wallace 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Tanny's Deep Passes to Wallace
This is post is a complement to Rich's post "All 58 Sacks". The video shows 10 deep throws to Wallace. I believe it's missing at least 6 other incomplete attempts. In the vid, Tanny has good protection, and connects on 4 out of 10. In no way, am I saying the O-Line is not a major issue, but even when the protection was there, Tanny was often way off. Also, I think we have a very special receiver in Wallace, there simply were a lot of apples that didn't get picked last season.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:09 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Tanny's Deep Passes to Wallace
Its everybodys fault, everybody must get better thats just facts nobody is untouchable

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He can't be perfect on every throw, I only see 5 plays in that video that were 100% on him. His game definitely leaves a lot to be desired there, hopefully the new offensive line will buy him more time and fix that.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I only see 5 plays in that video that were 100% on him.

Again, I believe the video is incomplete.......not positive on the exact amount, but I believe there's another 6 or so incomplete attempts that were not shown.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:21 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

shularino wrote:
The video shows 10 deep throws to Wallace. I believe it's missing at least 6 other incomplete attempts.

Tannehill made 33 deep pass attempts down the right sideline, most of them presumably to Wallace since he lined up almost exclusively on the right. He was 7 of 33 on those deep attempts. 16 is too low a number so I don't think this video and your count provide the true sample size.

Tannehill also made 19 deep attempts down the left sideline and connected on 7. Tannehill was much better throwing deep to his left.

Quote:
In the vid, Tanny has good protection

Not on every play.

Attempt #1

Wallace wasn't wide open. He was bracketed. This should have never been thrown to begin with.

Attempt #2

Slight underthrow but completed for a touchdown. Wallace was wide open.

This was not good protection but Tannehill stepped up in the pocket.

Attempt #3

This was not good protection as the defensive tackle was pressuring Tannehill from his right. Pass was underthrown but complete.

Attempt #4

Tannehill was hit as he threw, not great protection, and completed the deep pass to Wallace, but it was underthrown.

Attempt #5

Good protection, pass underthrown. Tannehill seemed to be trying to guide the pass.

Attempt #6

Good protection, pass underthrown. Not sure if it was ruled complete or incomplete. Looks like Wallace caught it and ball came out later. I noticed a mechanical flaw in Tannehill's motion on this attempt. More on that later.

Attempt #7

Protection wasn't great but Tannehill did a nice job of stepping up. I think this was actually a perfect throw and it appears Wallace slowed down a bit, but I could see it considered a slight overthrow. Maybe Tannehill didn't set his feet well enough after stepping up and rushed the throw? Should have been 6.

Attempt #8

This was just great coverage. The corner was playing way off at the snap. Why force it? Why not change the route to a comeback at the LOS?

Attempt #9

Tannehill hit as he threw. Ball came out wobbly. Not good protection.

Attempt #10

I don't see why Wallace couldn't have gone up for this one. It was slightly high, but a receiver with good hands goes up and get it. This is a flaw in Wallace's game. He doesn't fight for the ball, he doesn't attack the ball. He waits for it to land right in his breadbasket. It's a two way street. Location is important, but so is catch radius. Wallace's catch radius is lacking.

Back to my comment in #6, it seems as if Tannehill drops his hips a bit and keeps his shoulders parallel to the ground on this throw. This may be why he has some underthrows.

Typically, when you're throwing a deep touch pass, you want to maintain your hips level, rear you shoulders back to give the ball trajectory and step into the throw to guide it up the field.

By dropping his hips, he is actually taking air out of the ball and relying more on arm strength, a fatal mistake when trying to throw deep is relying on arm strength. Your hips, legs and shoulders are more important on a deep ball than your arm.

By the way, Andrew Luck had a similar issue coming out of college. He did not have a consistent, credible deep ball and he spent a whole offseason working on it. He would left his back leg on deep throws and take power out of it.

Contrary to what people say about either having it or not having it, these things can be worked on and it is up to Lazor and Tannehill to work on the mechanics and up to Tannehill and Wallace to put in the time to build chemistry.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There were 52 attempts 21+ yards .... this video doesn't even contain half of them. Yet, it still highlights many of the things I know I voiced.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
By the way, Andrew Luck had a similar issue coming out of college. He did not have a consistent, credible deep ball and he spent a whole offseason working on it. He would left his back leg on deep throws and take power out of it.

Contrary to what people say about either having it or not having it, these things can be worked on and it is up to Lazor and Tannehill to work on the mechanics and up to Tannehill and Wallace to put in the time to build chemistry.

Luck is still not a dependable deep ball thrower. These were his splits for 2013 .....

7 for 26 on 21-30 yards ... 2 TD's, 1 INT
4 for 11 on 30-40 ...... 1 TD, 1 INT
1 for 8 on 41+ ..... no TD's, no INT's

Luck is still the same player in that regard.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
There were 52 attempts 21+ yards .... this video doesn't even contain half of them.

I didn't put together the video, found it on youtube, but the intent was to show Tanny's deep passes to Wallace. I realize 20+ yards is technically considered a deep pass, but when most of us think of the deep ball, we're thinking the "bomb", 40+ yards in the air. I seem to remember something around 16 of these last year to Wallace where he was open. Tanny was clearly not at fault for all the incompletions, but his accuracy was a major issue.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
I didn't put together the video, found it on youtube, but the intent was to show Tanny's deep passes to Wallace. I realize 20+ yards is technically considered a deep pass, but when most of us think of the deep ball, we're thinking the "bomb", 40+ yards in the air. I seem to remember something around 16 of these last year to Wallace where he was open. Tanny was clearly not at fault for all the incompletions, but his accuracy was a major issue.

On most of those throws the anticipation is poor and most are under thrown with poor arc.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

We need to move Wallace around at the line. Our O is so freaking vanilla.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:08 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

All I can say, is if this can improve, Miami can be a threat on offense.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:58 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
We need to move Wallace around at the line. Our O is so freaking vanilla.

WAS so vanilla. We are all counting on Lazor bringing some creativity to the team. Also, you're right about moving him around. Utilize the strengths of your players, like Shula did. If Tannehill is significantly better going deep to the left, give Wallace some opportunities over there as well. Find a way to use the strengths of your players.

Besides RT's flaws and Wallace's lack of energy in attacking the ball, some of this is clearly coaching as well. Like was said before, this is a total system problem... O-line, QB, RB (pass pro), WR, and coaching. The good news is, I believe it is something that can be fixed, at least to some degree. Remember Rich's post about the percentages for even elite QBs on throws like these aren't great... just better.

So get better.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:44 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

There is no question that Ryan and Mike need to develop more of a chemistry. There are just TOO many big plays left out on the field right now.

Hopefully those two guys are spending a LOT of time together working on developing that chemistry.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:17 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

There's no question that a deep "threat" will open up the offense. The question is are they ever going to be on the same page?

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:36 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
Hopefully those two guys are spending a LOT of time together working on developing that chemistry.

Rishard Matthews was interviewed and said that Tannehill and the receivers have been working on routes for a couple of weeks now. Didn't specify if Wallace has been involved.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:07 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I thought the stats with Tannehill and Luck needed to be compared to some sort of standard of a deep ball thrower so I looked at Dante Cullpepper from 2004 when he threw for 39 tds and 47000 yards.

21-30 yards he was 8 of 27 or 26%
Compared to Luck
7 of 26 or 27%
Tannehill
5 of 25 or 20%

31-39 yards he was 9 of 15 or 60%
Luck:
4 of 11 or 37%
Tannehill:
4 of 21 or 19%

41+ CUlpepper
9 of 21 43%
Luck:
1 of 8 12%
Tannehill:
3 of 12 25 %

Keep in mind, neither qb has Randy Moss

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:40 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I think it boils down to chemistry - he hits the deep ball pretty well with Hartline.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]