View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 OT: Eagles RELEASE DeSean Jackson 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post OT: Eagles RELEASE DeSean Jackson
What is the consensus here? We have the cap space to sign him, but it could be crippling in future years with Wallace on the books making $17m alone in 2014. Wallace/Jackson wouldn't seem to compliment each other very well due to having very similar skill sets (I'd say DeSean is more of a big play guy). After New England restructured Wilfork's contract, they only have $3.6m to spend so they don't seem a likely candidate...

I'd say the Jests are the favorites to sign him with Mike Vick in the building, and all the available cap space they still have to spend. Although not likely, I would say Miami could be a dark horse in all this.

edit: I don't see Hickey/Philbin wanting any part of this guy after just now hearing of his gang affiliations, and cancerous personality. Which at the same time, makes him a PERFECT fit for the Jests. xD

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: OT: Eagles RELEASE DeSean Jackson
It doesn't make sense unless we move Wallace, which in turn doesn't make cap sense. Nothing to see here, move along...

Now, about that offensive line...

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

k-dash wrote:
It doesn't make sense unless we move Wallace, which in turn doesn't make cap sense. Nothing to see here, move along...

If you think for a second that this doesn't catch the attention of the FO, you're kidding yourself. Although not likely, it's definitely an option to explore.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
k-dash wrote:

If you think for a second that this doesn't catch the attention of the FO, you're kidding yourself. Although not likely, it's definitely an option to explore.

Of course they will look at him, you're right. But after what I just read regarding his gang connections and off-field issues, I'm more sure of it than ever. My opinioin is there is no chance, and frankly now that I see what Philly's concerns with him were, I am relieved.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He has gang affiliations, misses meetings and is always bitching about more money. Not gonna happen.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

k-dash wrote:
Of course they will look at him, you're right. But after what I just read regarding his gang connections and off-field issues, I'm more sure of it than ever. My opinioin is there is no chance, and frankly now that I see what Philly's concerns with him were, I am relieved.

I didn't catch that until ESPN just discussed it moments ago. I agree, I probably wouldn't look much into him after this as well.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What he was told a couple of days ago by Chip Kelly, doesn't jive with his release today. I was a bit worried he may go to the Pats, but they're right at the cap and haven't signed Wilfork. I agree the Jets are the front runners, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Cardinals landed him.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:16 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:
He has gang affiliations, misses meetings and is always bitching about more money. Not gonna happen.

Yep. I would agree with that.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the Patriots would get crucified for employing another gangbanger.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:22 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The only one dumb enough to do this is the Jets. I can see DeSean waiting until after the draft though

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

ag_fin_90 wrote:
The only one dumb enough to do this is the Jets. I can see DeSean waiting until after the draft though

He's gonna go where ever the money is lol, which is a very likely scenario that it may be in NY.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:24 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Bo way they sign him... he is a SOLID player but a head case who is prone to law trouble... i just read the Eagles were worried about his "Gang Connections" no idea what that means or how he showed it.. but you can bet our owner and coach will not take that risk right now.. I do not see him getting a sniff from the phins...

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:29 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
So where will he sign? Teams that definitely were interested in Jackson (although not at $10.5 million for 2014) at a time when he was merely on the trading block included the 49ers, Seahawks, and Jets. Teams like the Patriots and Raiders also could be thrown into the mix.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... mediately/

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I just got a good laugh from ESPN: "The Eagles didn't want to saddle another franchise with Jackson's problems by trading him".

LOL, okay...it's a billion dollar business, nobody plays the role of the nice guy and reaps rewards from it. That's all PR BS. If they got a decent trade offer in response, they would've bit REAL quick with a valued player like Jackson.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:35 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Lot of folks I know said DeSean flashed a gang sign during the Washington game last year, and it was blowing up on Facebook as well. There have been concerns about DeSean since he came out of Cal. A talent like him does not drop into the 2nd round unless there are issues.

No way in hell Miami pursues DeSean.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Quote:
So where will he sign? Teams that definitely were interested in Jackson (although not at $10.5 million for 2014) at a time when he was merely on the trading block included the 49ers, Seahawks, and Jets. Teams like the Patriots and Raiders also could be thrown into the mix.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... mediately/

The Raiders are targeting Watkins in the draft and the Pat's are at the cap. The Jets make sense, but after the issues with Holmes, they're probably wary of the character issues. Though the Panthers are not in good cap space, they are the team with the most glaring need. The Cardinals have Floyd and Fitzgerald, but lack a speed receiver. I'll stick with Jets and Cardinals as the top two contenders.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the Niners were mentioned alot.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:03 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

IF Lazor really likes DeSean and trust him I can see at least a look

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:14 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

The gang affiliation thing is specious...

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ng-member/

Desean Jackson and his comments about being accused of hanging out with gangs.

Since none of us hang out with him this is all speculation to me.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:47 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Finhead34 wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/28/desean-jackson-issues-statement-denies-being-a-gang-member/

Desean Jackson and his comments about being accused of hanging out with gangs.

Since none of us hang out with him this is all speculation to me.

i grew up hanging around gang members and drug dealers but i didnt go down their path. Now the gang signs are bad but at the end of the day if he really was "affiliated" there would be incidents and I don't see anything about that. Just fear from teams and if thats all then I can say that you give him a chance since I feel as if I can relate

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:26 pm

I grew up around drug members and gang dealers.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:28 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Idk anything about deshan jackson the person, butt he player would definately makee sense in miami. His coordinator that gave him his best season ever is here and with gibson and hartline coming off serious knee injuries we cant adsume they will be back to playong at a high level. Jackson, wallace, mathews and clay make some very valuable and explosive targets for tanny

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
I grew up around drug members and gang dealers.

My neighbor used to have cops stake out drug deals in his back yard multiple times a week....never liked that guy lmao.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Naturally, all the attention is on D-Jax's alleged gang affiliation, but there are other reasons why Miami should not be interested.

1. He has a sordid history as a team member. The report indicated that there were issues with his work ethic and reliability. Doesn't really fit the culture that Philbin is trying to create. Even so, with his ability they might sign him anyway, except...

2. He fits rather into the same mold as Wallace. We have the fast outside guy making huge bank already. That leads to...

3. He will want to be P.A.I.D. He always has, and loudly complains whenever he feels he needs to be paid more. We're already currently hugely invested in Wallace. There are more pressing needs.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:38 pm

k-dash wrote:
Naturally, all the attention is on D-Jax's alleged gang affiliation, but there are other reasons why Miami should not be interested.

1. He has a sordid history as a team member. The report indicated that there were issues with his work ethic and reliability. Doesn't really fit the culture that Philbin is trying to create. Even so, with his ability they might sign him anyway, except...

2. He fits rather into the same mold as Wallace. We have the fast outside guy making huge bank already. That leads to...

3. He will want to be P.A.I.D. He always has, and loudly complains whenever he feels he needs to be paid more. We're already currently hugely invested in Wallace. There are more pressing needs.

Jackson is much more versatile than Wallace. He can line up outside or in the slot. But the character concerns are an issue.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

k-dash wrote:
We're already currently hugely invested in Wallace. There are more pressing needs.

The #1 aspect of the game I'm looking forward to in 2014 is how well the Tannehill to Wallace connection benefits off the new look offensive line. Hopefully we're in for a treat.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:40 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Dont forget also that he can return punts as well. Much versatility. Teams deal with malcontent players all the time. All the speculation, in most cases is just that, speculation. I doubt we sign him, but Im SURE we will look into and do homework since we have a person with inside knowledge on the staff. All this speculation will drive his price down a little bit. The Eagles are cleaning house of over priced players regardless of talent and are going younger.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:57 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

In think he is qualified for south beach.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If Miami brings him in, would it be the modern day version of Marino, Duper and Clayton??

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfanmel wrote:
If Miami brings him in, would it be the modern day version of Marino, Duper and Clayton??

Might be fun on Madden.

:grin:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:11 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He's a punk

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:00 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It is really a shame that Desean is a perceived problem child (at least of some sort) as guys with this talent sitting on the street as a free agent for the taking isn't always available.

I know it is not going to happen, but imagine having Wallace, Jackson, Hartline, Clay on the field together? Throw in an improved line with an improved running game.... Miami would be a legitimate threat to score 30 points plus a game.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:02 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Djax is just dumb. So he's not in a gang, but he holds up gang signs in social media and on the field after a big play. The Eagles simply got sick of his crap

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:39 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Makchell wrote:
Djax is just dumb. So he's not in a gang, but he holds up gang signs in social media and on the field after a big play. The Eagles simply got sick of his crap

It did not help that a year after the Eagles gave him a big money, long term deal, he moaning and complaining about wanting a new contract.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sometimes you can either put up with a Diva that puts up huge numbers and can improve your team or do not.

Funny how Belicheck can do that and win, but Miami has to be scared of character issues.

I still think Brandon Marshall should have stayed. These friggin football coaches are paid quite well to deal with guys like that and also stave off the RIDICULOUS BULLY CRAP from the locker room.

This is not a game of checkers it is NFL football. It is a business to put the best team on the field and win.

I am not saying Miami should spend their money on Jackson, but imagine if a talent like that was in the fins lineup opposite Wallace. However, right now the reality is we need offensive lineman.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:33 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This report here is important concerning D-Jax.

Quote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chiefs have dropped out of the running for free agent DeSean Jackson. This should send up an immediate red flag to other interested teams, based on coach Andy Reid's history with Jackson. Kansas City also has a wide receiver need. Per RapSheet, the Chiefs "did research" on D-Jax, and opted against signing him. Jackson is scheduled to visit the Redskins on Monday. Many national reporters expect Dan Snyder to out-bid the field for 27-year-old Jackson.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4659/desean-jackson

Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:31 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Did not want him coming out of college. He has not done anything to change that. I understand this is a business, but to me he is all business & does not have any concern with the team concept.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:37 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It seems to me the rest of the NFL other than Bill Belicheck stayed away from Randy Moss too, but he was able to make that work for awhile and squeeze out the best of his talents and kept his personality in check.

Again, I think NFL coaches should be able to corral a guy and if they are a great player that can improve your team, deal with it. There have been TONS of divas that have been in and out of the NFL and coaches during the years have made it work. Do you always want the upstanding guy on your team, of course, but unfortunately in professional sports it is just not like that with all the great players.

It is just unfortunate that Miami just had to go through perhaps one of the worst debacles in NFL history with the Grown Man Bully incident and therefore I am sure they would not touch a guy like Desean with a ten foot pole anyway.

Would you still put up with Brandon Marshall's quirky sometimes selfish attitude to have his 1500 yards and a dozen touchdowns if it meant you could be a better team? Personally I would have kept him vs trading his talent away for a bag of peanuts when Miami needed him.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Remember this play against the Boys.................Why?

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next