View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Preseason Games to see tougher extra points 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Preseason Games to see tougher extra points
From the NY Daily News.........

"The extra point won’t be so automatic in the first two weeks of the preseason this summer.

After tabling the Patriots’ proposal to move the extra point from the 2-yard line to the 25 as a permanent rule change, making it a 43-yard kick, NFL owners voted Wednesday to experiment with the extra point by pushing it back to the 20 for a total of 32 preseason games in August. That will make the kick 38 yards. The two-point convers ion will remain at the 2.

Last season, 99.6% of extra-point kicks were successful. That’s 1,262 out of 1,267. Four of the misses were blocked. In 2012, 99.5% of the extra points were good. Bill Belichick brought the issue into the meeting room with his proposal. He doesn’t like that the kick has become so automatic, but the NFL rarely makes drastic changes without first testing them.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin is not supportive of moving the kick back."

“I personally don’t see the necessity of making that a more competitive play,” he said."

First off, not sure how this impacts the 2 pointer. Anyway, I'm with Coughlin........I think the easy answer is to eliminate the extra point........after a TD is scored, 7 points are automatically awarded, if the HC decides to go for 2, 6 points are awarded with an additional 2 points for a successful conversion, just like it is today. I think the Owners want to keep the extra-point, because they get additional ad revenue in between a TD score and the extra point kick.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]