View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Philbin said he expects Jordan to "make a big jump" in 2014 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Philbin said he expects Jordan to "make a big jump" in 2014
Everytime I hear the "once in a generation" term to refer to a draft prospect, I cringe.

Reggie Bush and Darren McFadden were supposed to be "generational" players.

Jevon Kearse also used to get referred to as that.

We'll see. Clowney's work ethic is the only concern, but it is a major one.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Everytime I hear the "once in a generation" term to refer to a draft prospect, I cringe.

Reggie Bush and Darren McFadden were supposed to be "generational" players.

Jevon Kearse also used to get referred to as that.

We'll see. Clowney's work ethic is the only concern, but it is a major one.

I don't recall Reggie and McFadden getting the kind of respect and praise Clowney is getting. Not to mention they are polar opposite positions...

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
shularino wrote:
It's a worthwhile thought............if we wanted to move up to grab a top OT, who are possible trade partners and what would it cost. I certainly don't see us giving up either Jordan or Wake to move up in the first round............but what about Vernon?

Who cares what issues you have on your offensive line when a "once in a generation" type player is on the board. I'd pick Clowney 10 times out of 10, regardless of need. Franchises who draft high for need on a consistent basis remain in the divisional basement they're trying so hard to get out of.

I don't disagree with you.............per my earlier post, I really don't see a team earlier than No. 6 Atlanta willing to move back to No. 19. Clowney will be gone by then.

I don't see Houston willing to come all the way back to 19, they need a QB and if you could get Clowney at No. 2 why would St. Louis trade for one of our DE's...........Jacksonville, Oakland & Cleveland have similar needs for a top pick. I think Altanta at No. 6 is the earliest team willing to come back to 19 for the right price........then we're looking at OT's Jake Mathews or Greg Robinson.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:17 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I don't recall Reggie and McFadden getting the kind of respect and praise Clowney is getting. Not to mention they are polar opposite positions...

Reggie Bush was drafted 8 years ago. Aren't you like 18 years old?

He was referred to as a generational player, but turned out to be a generational scat back.

McFadden was going to change the game because he played running back and QB at Arkansas.

Now he can't even get a contract longer than 1 year.

And I also mentioned Jevon Kearse, who played the same position as Clowney for good measure.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Quote:
It’s been eight years now, so you can be forgiven if you’ve forgotten, but there was a time when Reggie Bush wasn’t just expected to be a good NFL player, wasn’t even expected to be a great NFL player, but was expected to be a transcendent NFL player. When Bush was running wild at USC in 2005, people talked about him like he was going to be some combination of Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers in the NFL, a player who had the talent to be the NFL’s best running back, the NFL’s best slot receiver and the NFL’s best kick returner, all in one package.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... iting-for/

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:47 pm

I'm not the only one that thinks Clowney is boom or bust. Interesting that the article also mentioned Jevon Kearse.

Quote:
» NFC personnel director: "He's a man amongst boys. But he's one of those guys that's a Pro Bowler, or he could be a big-time bust depending on what's on the inside. That's what we'll all be digging into."

» AFC general manager: "I think there's flashes of brilliance and flashes of extreme inconsistency. I mean, it's a boom or bust thing. ... Does (Clowney) have all the talent in the world? Yeah. For people to get secure with him, it's going to come in the interviews, the one-on-ones with teams. They'll try to get him off the pre-scripted stuff from the agent. You have to be able to pass that smell test. Whoever drafts him is going to dig into every nook and cranny on him. And they're going to see what's in his soul."

» AFC college scouting director: "When you look at him on film, he can do whatever he wants to do. When he's locked in and engaged ... it takes such a concentrated effort to neutralize him."

NFL team needs
With the NFL season in its final month, Daniel Jeremiah takes a look at the draft order if the season ended today, with the top three draft needs for each team. More ... Comparisons were made to former Tennessee Titans and Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Jevon Kearse, as well as Carolina Panthers and Chicago Bears star Julius Peppers. Peppers played consistently well deep into his career, whereas Kearse was more dominant as a younger player and far less productive the older he became.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... om-or-bust

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Another physical freak, Vernon Gholston, 6'4 260 lbs, 4.5 40, 37 reps on the bench. Drafted #6 overall.

Never got a sack in the NFL.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Reggie Bush was drafted 8 years ago. Aren't you like 18 years old?

20, and they did have ESPN way back then. I agree that there is no such thing as a sure fire prospect, but there is no doubt Clowney is by far the closet to it in this draft. If I am picking #1, I don't go for need. I go for the BPA.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Jevon Kerase is exactly who I think of when I view Clowney. That's about what he'll be. He'll never live up to the expectations or make an assault on the record books.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:58 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Every year we hear about "can't miss" picks when in reality, it's a 50/50 shot. RIch is right, boom or bust just like the rest of the draft picks. Add Peter Warrick to the list of can't miss as well.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:04 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Call me crazy, but I would love to see Miami get into the top 10 and draft Mike Evans. I see guys like AJ Green and Calvin Johnson make their QBs look better than they really are, and Evans did the same for Manziel in college. Its not going to happen, but a dude can wish.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:26 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
Call me crazy, but I would love to see Miami get into the top 10 and draft Mike Evans. I see guys like AJ Green and Calvin Johnson make their QBs look better than they really are, and Evans did the same for Manziel in college. Its not going to happen, but a dude can wish.

I'd rather have Sammy Watkins.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2