View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Fins renew attempts to trade WR Mike Wallace - La Canfora 
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Fins renew attempts to trade WR Mike Wallace - La Canfora
Quote:
@JasonLaCanfora
Fins have renewed attempts to trade WR Mike Wallace during the league meetings. Teams doing homework on him. Contract makes it a tough trade

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:10 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Fins renew attempts to trade WR Mike Wallace - La Canfora
As long as Jason LaCanfora is the one tweeting about this, I'm not buying it. Not with a $6.5 immediate cap hit for trading Wallace.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:14 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

This franchise is stupid we could have Brandon Marshall, Wes Welker, Mike Wallace and Reggie Bush if we werent so boneheaded...wed have no money for defense but i mean jeez get over the egos and keep good players

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:15 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

F@#% off La Canfora...

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:16 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

There BETTER not be any truth to this.....We had a BEAST in Brandon Marshall.....traded him away for a bag of peanuts, now we have Mike Wallace who can and has torched defenses at any given moment and to think there is even a hint that Miami would get rid of him....amazing.

I know this beat writer isn't always accurate, but still....

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Why is he the only guy who keeps mentioning this? I've never seen the other national names saying they've heard this rumor.

Doesn't he worry about credibility?

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:40 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
Why is he the only guy who keeps mentioning this? I've never seen the other national names saying they've heard this rumor.

What credibility........ :haha

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:48 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just saw that trading Wallace really reduces the cap hit, which is fine when looking over the books and the money owed.

But let's look at 2 better questions.

First, is Tannehill truly the future? Because if not and you bring in a guy who throws a more accurate deep ball then Wallace pays mega dividends.

Second, exactly what do you expect to get in return for trading Wallace? He's a proven asset, even if overpaid. Maybe you get a 3rd rounder to relieve you of the contract but there is not guarantee that guy even gets on the field.

Hartline, Gibson and Binns are coming back from kneed injuries. I don't see Miami in position to draft Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans. A lot of decent FA options already signed elsewhere.

This makes zero sense.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:49 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
jammer wrote:

Ha. Nice.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:49 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

phinsfansc wrote:
jammer wrote:

If theres anything that recent years have taught us in sports regarding media credibility is that there is none..look back at the Lebron/wade/bosh decision a few years back..ive never seen so many wrong guesses by member of the media. The rush to be first overshadows actually being right

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Salguero has come out and said there is zero truth to this rumor, but there will be internal discussion on Evan Mathis.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:28 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Salguero has come out and said there is zero truth to this rumor, but there will be internal discussion on Evan Mathis.

Leave the 33 year old greedy bastard alone. The dude wants to get paid hardcore.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
greedy bastard alone

Yeah at 33 years old he should be happy to still be in the league starting and playing at a high level.

He should get paid, but if he wants something ridiculous, I say dream on Evan.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:51 am

jammer wrote:
Just saw that trading Wallace really reduces the cap hit, which is fine when looking over the books and the money owed.

This is inaccurate... unless they defer to June 1st and even then....

Remember, Wallace's base salary is guaranteed. His cap number for 2014 is $17.2 million. The amount of dead money created by moving him will be $26.8 million, meaning getting rid of him will eat up $9.5 million in cap room.

If we defered, his cap number in 2015 is about $5 million less so you really wouldn't be accomplishing much.

I just don't see this happening.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:58 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
This is inaccurate... unless they defer to June 1st and even then....

Remember, Wallace's base salary is guaranteed. His cap number for 2014 is $17.2 million. The amount of dead money created by moving him will be $26.8 million, meaning getting rid of him will eat up $9.5 million in cap room.

If we defered, his cap number in 2015 is about $5 million less so you really wouldn't be accomplishing much.

I just don't see this happening.

I agree that it is not happening. Forget the money issue, who is going to replace him in a vital year for coach and QB?

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

Leave the 33 year old greedy bastard alone. The dude wants to get paid hardcore.

Agreed. Wouldn't it just make more sense to go sign Wharton if you want veteran help? Can't imagine he'd cost much more than half of Mathis's 2014 salary.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:06 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Dont believe the Bullcrap rumors you always read. It makes zero sense anywhere to make the deal and especially when we add Lazor who came from Philly and knows what a deep threat will do like when he had Desean Jackson so I never believed this

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:11 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Please dont break up what will become the best QB / WR combo in the league.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Dont believe the Bullcrap rumors you always read. It makes zero sense anywhere to make the deal and especially when we add Lazor who came from Philly and knows what a deep threat will do like when he had Desean Jackson so I never believed this

DeSean is a more dynamic WR.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:49 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rock Sexton wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

DeSean is a more dynamic WR.

Not denying that lol just saying that speed on any team will make any offensive coordinator gush. With garbage butt Sherman as the HC Wallace shouldve had over 1200 yards and double digit tds if we couldve hit the deep ball. Thats with lack of creativity to use his speed on defenses to find a weak spot

Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Not denying that lol just saying that speed on any team will make any offensive coordinator gush. With garbage butt Sherman as the HC Wallace shouldve had over 1200 yards and double digit tds if we couldve hit the deep ball. Thats with lack of creativity to use his speed on defenses to find a weak spot

You make some good points. I do blame Tannehill for several misses and then some on a terrible line as he would get rushed or hit as he threw the ball, but regardless, Wallace had AT LEAST the ability to score 12 maybe even 15 touchdowns last season and certainly if the timing from Tanny and the line gets better this year, we all want to believe this is very realistic and especially with what we hope is a vast improvement with a more innovative Offensive Coordinator.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:44 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

These are not the droids you are looking for.

Now we know where Pro Football Talk used to get their rumors back in the early days (and why they were wrong more than half the time).

Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:

Sherman is not the main culprit for our inability to hit Wallace deep. There were plenty of opportunities, but just as many misfires.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:18 pm

In my view, there are 3 primary reasons why the deep ball did not work.

1. Pass protection - In going back and looking at a lot of those missed deep throws, Tannehill was not able to step into them because he was facing pressure right up the middle. That would explain why many of them were underthrows.

2. Playcalling - Sherman's penchant for abandoning the run created these situations where defenses were able to tee off. Very few scenarios were created in which playaction passing would have exploited Wallace's deep speed.

3. Lack of Chemistry - It was reported that the Dolphins did not work on deep throws in practice, at least before and early on in the season. This is sheer negligence by all involed. A quarterback and receiver need that chemistry to be successful on those plays. This probably contributed to the few deep throws in which Tannehill did have adequate protection but seemed to hold onto the ball a bit and release it late. It's on the players, QB and WR, to get together and work on this and on the coaches to make sure it is happening.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:50 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rock Sexton wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

Sherman is not the main culprit for our inability to hit Wallace deep. There were plenty of opportunities, but just as many misfires.

I agree, Tannehill missed too many times but at the same time use crossing routes, reverses or anything to just get Wallace free in other way because in the open field he'll kill it. I remember that Patriot win just saying that 1 long td was an easy way that they just made it work. Doesnt always have to be a bomb but get Wallace in the open field and thats on Sherman

Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
As long as Jason LaCanfora is the one tweeting about this, I'm not buying it. Not with a $6.5 immediate cap hit for trading Wallace.

With 15 million guaranteed base wouldn't the hit not be a savings? 15 million minus the 8.8 cap hit?

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

I agree Rock. I know piling on Sherman is deserved but opportunities were there & blown. I have all the confidence in the world that Tannehill will go on & be elite but just as all the rest if he leaves the blame will turn to him as well. Sherman was not the one throwing up those duds.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yep, as much I am glad Lazor is now the guy in fairness to Sherman there were PLENTY of very good play calls on offense that just were not executed by the players. Works both ways.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
In my view, there are 3 primary reasons why the deep ball did not work.

1. Pass protection - In going back and looking at a lot of those missed deep throws, Tannehill was not able to step into them because he was facing pressure right up the middle. That would explain why many of them were underthrows.

2. Playcalling - Sherman's penchant for abandoning the run created these situations where defenses were able to tee off. Very few scenarios were created in which playaction passing would have exploited Wallace's deep speed.

3. Lack of Chemistry - It was reported that the Dolphins did not work on deep throws in practice, at least before and early on in the season. This is sheer negligence by all involed. A quarterback and receiver need that chemistry to be successful on those plays. This probably contributed to the few deep throws in which Tannehill did have adequate protection but seemed to hold onto the ball a bit and release it late. It's on the players, QB and WR, to get together and work on this and on the coaches to make sure it is happening.

Some of those are valid reasons, but it stands to mention Tannehill has never been serviceable in that department. Not at A&M and not here. To this point he's been nothing but a dart thrower in the short-intermediate areas of the field.

To not mention the pocket presence and footwork at all ..... that's lettin' him off easy.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

With 15 million guaranteed base wouldn't the hit not be a savings? 15 million minus the 8.8 cap hit?

The $9 million cap hit takes into consideration the $26 million dead cap for moving him off the roster.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:37 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
To not mention the pocket presence and footwork at all ..... that's lettin' him off easy.

I don't see how that correlates to completing deep passes. That would be valid if we were discussing who to blame sacks on.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
I don't see how that correlates to completing deep passes. That would be valid if we were discussing who to blame sacks on.

Philbin said similar things I did about Tannehill recently and what he needs to improve on.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

The $9 million cap hit takes into consideration the $26 million dead cap for moving him off the roster.

I do not keep up with this stuff, but if its his base wouldn't his new team pick up that hit?

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dolphins looking for Mike Wallace deal; Eagles could make sense
Quote:
The Dolphins remain open to dealing Mike Wallace, according to league sources.
The Dolphins, who according to sources entertained the possibility of dealing receiver Mike Wallace and other prominent players back at the combine, have continued in that vein at the just concluded league meetings.

Miami spoke with teams about Wallace, according to sources, and while the finances of a deal would be tricky given Wallace's hefty contract, signed just last year, teams are doing homework on Wallace.

With the Eagles willing to release receiver DeSean Jackson if they cannot trade him, some wonder if the Philadelphia and Miami might end up possible trade partners. Wallace clashed with members of the coaching staff last year, while the Eagles are prepared to move on without Jackson, despite him having a career year in 2013

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... make-sense

Wallace for Jackson? Hmmm. It's an interesting idea, although I'm not too sure it would get worked out considering Wallace's huge contract.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cbssports wrote:
Wallace clashed with members of the coaching staff last year, while the Eagles are prepared to move on without Jackson, despite him having a career year in 2013

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... make-sense

Just another example of Philbin not being able to handle players and his unwillingness to try.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:23 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Philbin said similar things I did about Tannehill recently and what he needs to improve on.

Philbin said Tannehill needed to continue improving on the speed of his decisions, his accuracy and lowering interceptions, but that he saw improvement from year one.

He never correlated completing deep passes to footwork and pocket presence.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:57 am

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

I do not keep up with this stuff, but if its his base wouldn't his new team pick up that hit?

The base is fully guaranteed so we eat it. That 's my understanding.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:58 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
cbssports wrote:
Wallace clashed with members of the coaching staff last year, while the Eagles are prepared to move on without Jackson, despite him having a career year in 2013

Just another example of Philbin not being able to handle players and his unwillingness to try.

I would have clashed with the offensive coaches, too, last year. Not only does Philben not want to deal with players that clash with his staff, but he does not deal with his staff. While we all do have negative feelings towards Nick Saban for the way that he left the Dolphins, he forced Linehan to listen to him by taking him out of the booth and making him stand next to him on the field. The offense progressed at that point. Do we really need a coach that does not lead?

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:17 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He allowed go and go-go to happen, he should be gone (Philben).

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:06 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

So we just read a "report" that was bs and now for the 1st time we're reading that Wallace clashed with coaches and automatically believe it from a CBS report and not a local columnist and now its all on Philbin? Whatever Wallace isnt going anywhere

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next