View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Dolphins not finished rebuilding O-line 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins not finished rebuilding O-line
Quote:
“The starting point of any deep ball, any three-step drop, anything that we’re doing, the focus has been on protection and how can we protect the quarterback better,” Philbin said. “One of the major problems, we feel like, and the reason we haven’t scored the points you need to score to consistently win in the National Football League is we haven’t protected the quarterback well enough. That’s the starting point.”

Philbin, at this early point of free agency, thinks the Dolphins have done well in reconstructing an offensive line that returns Pro Bowl center Mike Pouncey but needed to find four starters entering the off-season.

Quote:
“I think we’re much closer,” Philbin said. “I think we’re definitely close. I think if you look at Branden Albert, we studied the tape, there’s some really good clips of him on the back side in Kansas City, and on the front side, doing things on outside zone plays that you want an offensive tackle to do.”

Albert, a Pro Bowl selection for Kansas City last season, got high praise from Chiefs coach Andy Reid.

“He’s one of those guys he’ll shore up that left spot for Joe,” Reid said. “He won’t have to worry about it run or pass game. And then he’ll be great for that room. As good a players as he is, he’s a great man.”

Philbin said the Dolphins would continue to use a zone blocking scheme under offensive coordinator Bill Lazor and offensive line coach John Benton. Smith, who played for St. Louis the last two seasons and Houston as a rookie, is familiar with the zone blocking concept.

“Shelley got most of his early coaching in that system in Houston,” said Rams coach Jeff Fisher.

General manager Dennis Hickey, whose team has the No. 19 pick in the draft, said signing Albert and Smith is only the beginning of rebuilding the offensive line.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 5383.story

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Dolphins not finished rebuilding O-line
Saw a few guys making a very good case for Morgan Moses at 19 on twitter today. I realize people will come out and say he's more of a 2nd round talent but it sounds like he is legit.

The argument was that people just assume Zack Martin can play RT when there is not too much evidence he will thrive there. Moses on the other hand did a great job. Unless New York (Giants), Pittsburgh or Baltimore view him as a must have RT he should be there at 19.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:16 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
Saw a few guys making a very good case for Morgan Moses at 19 on twitter today. I realize people will come out and say he's more of a 2nd round talent but it sounds like he is legit.

The argument was that people just assume Zack Martin can play RT when there is not too much evidence he will thrive there. Moses on the other hand did a great job. Unless New York (Giants), Pittsburgh or Baltimore view him as a must have RT he should be there at 19.

If Hickey is really about what he says then he'll pick bpa and that woint be Moses unless they trade down which I think they really want to do

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:19 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I would love to see Miami sign Travelle Wharton at OG. I know Hickey has said the Dolphins want to stay young, but bringing in a rock solid veteran would be a good thing for this young unit.

Zack Martin certainly seems to be the consensus pick for Miami, but I think the Dolphins can get a very competent ORT in the 2nd round, like the kid Mewhort from Ohio State.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:43 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The biggest secret in the NFL is that we are going OL in draft...shhhh.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

Morgan Moses is a great fit for us in my opinion. Similar to when Sherman knew everything about Tannehill from their time at Texas A&M, Lazor has that same kind of in-depth knowledge of Moses from when he coached at Virginia. In addition, our new LT Albert has been in contact with Moses during the draft process, giving him advice. Both guys are very similar in build/style. I'd bet Albert would take Moses under his wing and teach him how to make the leap to the NFL.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I like trading back and taking Moses. I think Martin is going to the Ravens at 17.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:44 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
I like trading back and taking Moses. I think Martin is going to the Ravens at 17.

I agree that Martin could be off the board prior to the 19th pick.

I have a really hard time seeing Miami being able to trade back. The only way I can see it, at least right now, is if Bridgewater or Manziel (or I guess Carr if rumors are true some teams like him) slip and there is a sense the Cardinals will snatch them up as a QB of the future.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:19 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

ag_fin_90 wrote:
If Hickey is really about what he says then he'll pick bpa and that woint be Moses unless they trade down which I think they really want to do

Hard to tell who Hickey sees as BPA. All we go off of is what the draft guys are saying so at face value it seems like Moses is a huge reach.

But then I look at last year when the Giants took Pugh at 19 and Chicago took Kyle Long at 20, two guys who most probably didn't see as BPA when the likes of Tyler Eifert, Shariff Floyd, Xavier Rhodes and Cordarrelle Patterson were still on the board.

Again, I agree with you at face value. It would appear Morgan is a very late 1st or early 2nd round guy. But these guys made a pretty decent argument about how much value he brings and how well he improved. It would not shock me if he was the pick.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:24 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Notre Dame Players are way over rated. That goes for Martin.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:50 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

PADOLFAN wrote:
Notre Dame Players are way over rated. That goes for Martin.

That may be, but Notre Dame is 2nd all time in former players making it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

40 former Notre Dame players played in the NFL in 2013, which ranks 14th in the NCAA and puts them ahead of Texas A&M, South Carolina, Iowa, UCLA and Michigan amongst others.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

well Moses is rising somewhat, (some have him around 29th overall) so I would't call him a "huge" reach, but it is a slight reach right now. I definitely think we can trade back with a team that wants Derek Carr, Calvin Pryor, Brandin Cooks or Dee Ford. Even if it's just 3 or 4 slots.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:37 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

Hard to tell who Hickey sees as BPA. All we go off of is what the draft guys are saying so at face value it seems like Moses is a huge reach.

But then I look at last year when the Giants took Pugh at 19 and Chicago took Kyle Long at 20, two guys who most probably didn't see as BPA when the likes of Tyler Eifert, Shariff Floyd, Xavier Rhodes and Cordarrelle Patterson were still on the board.

Again, I agree with you at face value. It would appear Morgan is a very late 1st or early 2nd round guy. But these guys made a pretty decent argument about how much value he brings and how well he improved. It would not shock me if he was the pick.

I think between Anthony Barr and Derek Carr if 1 or both are there somebody will want to trade up because Carr seems to be getting major love and the de spot is weak but Barr is legit

Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Did anyone really think they were done rebuilding the OLine?

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

another good late round option

Quote:
Nebraska G Spencer Long met with the Dolphins last week, according to insider Adam Caplan.
Rumored to be targeting a RT in the first round, the Dolphins are well aware that their beleaguered offensive line will need more help than that in this draft. With that in mind, Long (6-foot-5, 320 pounds) could be a nice third-day pick. Long is a brawling road-grader that will need to improve his pass protection, something he was doing before a knee injury in mid-October ended his season. "I just feel bad for the guy," offensive line coach John Garrison said at the time. "A guy that works his tail off. He’s a great leader for us."
Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:34 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rather than start a new thread I'll post it here - is anyone else really considered about Miami having 2 rookies start on the o-line? Add Shelley Smith and I'm really concerned because he is sort of an unknown as a 16 game starter.

I can't help but think another veteran is getting signed or here are bigger plans for Fox.

It is sinking in that Miami's o-line, while definitely improved in one spot, is still a big question mark.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:33 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Jammer I'd still like to give Davin Joseph a shot, but I guess he must not be healthy enough.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:05 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Jammer I'd still like to give Davin Joseph a shot, but I guess he must not be healthy enough.

Why? He was terrible last year.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:31 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

is anyone else really considered about Miami having 2 rookies start on the o-line

Don't worry Jammer, we will have 2nd year vet Dallas Thomas lock down a spot for the next decade!!

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
is anyone else really considered about Miami having 2 rookies start on the o-line

Don't worry Jammer, we will have 2nd year vet Dallas Thomas lock down a spot for the next decade!!

It is not exactly out of the question to think he'll earn a starting spot. He was considered a pretty decent prospect but he whiffed on his opportunity to start. I also read that coaches were focused on having him develop as a right tackle to eventually replace Clabo. I don't really trust anything Miami did with developing o-line last year.

I have much more faith in the new o-line coach they hired because he has a track record of success, which is something Jim Turner did not. Maybe he can maximize Thomas as a left guard. I just hate having to say the word "maybe" with so many guys on the roster.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:21 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:

I'd feel better if I read a report saying Sam Brenner went bonkers to get stronger and is on something of a Shelley Smith path to a starting role.

It is so crucial to get the ground game and protection more efficient. No more question marks!

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]