View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:58 pm



Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Sando: Dolphins FA Grade (B) 
Author Message
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8956
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Sando: Dolphins FA Grade (B)
Article from ESPN
Quote:
Miami Dolphins
Grade: B

Key signings: LT Branden Albert, DL Earl Mitchell, G Shelley Smith, DT Randy Starks, CB Cortland Finnegan
Key subtractions: T Jonathan Martin, G Richie Incognito, CB Nolan Carroll, DL Paul Soliai

Free agency is about filling needs. The Dolphins' needs on the offensive line, particularly at tackle, were about as pronounced as any team's needs at any position. Moving aggressively to land Albert early in free agency made sense for the Dolphins under the circumstances.

"They did a nice job," Polian said. "Albert, while not the answer, is a helluva lot better than what they had. Mitchell is a big upgrade. They had to keep Starks. Finnegan is two continents better than Carroll. By and large, excellent work."

The Dolphins appear close to set on defense.

"I'd rather have Mitchell than Soliai, and keeping Brent Grimes was huge," Williamson said. "Shelley Smith is a vastly underrated pickup. They still need a running back, but who cares? They are clearly the second-best team in the AFC East right now."


Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:15 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 1856
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Post Re: Sando: Dolphins FA Grade (B)
Phin wrote:
Key subtractions: T Jonathan Martin, G Richie Incognito, CB Nolan Carroll, DL Paul Soliai


Outside of Big Paul, I'd say the rest were all addition by subtraction.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 465
Post Re: Sando: Dolphins FA Grade (B)
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Phin wrote:
Key subtractions: T Jonathan Martin, G Richie Incognito, CB Nolan Carroll, DL Paul Soliai


Outside of Big Paul, I'd say the rest were all addition by subtraction.

Tbh, I think even Paul was an addition by subtraction. Mitchell is a better pass rusher IF we need it and our run defenses wasnt up to par and I just hold Paul under higher standards and he shouldve held his ground more so I think Mitchell is at least on his level


Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:18 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21592
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Sando: Dolphins FA Grade (B)
ag_fin_90 wrote:
Tbh, I think even Paul was an addition by subtraction. Mitchell is a better pass rusher IF we need it and our run defenses wasnt up to par and I just hold Paul under higher standards and he shouldve held his ground more so I think Mitchell is at least on his level


The run defense was terrible because our linebackers were terrible, not because of Paul Soliai.

As for Mitchell, I'm not sure where he has proven to be a better pass rusher. Certainly not in games.

We'll see how this move turns out but the more critical move is what we do at linebacker.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:23 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 465
Post Re: Sando: Dolphins FA Grade (B)
Rich wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:
Tbh, I think even Paul was an addition by subtraction. Mitchell is a better pass rusher IF we need it and our run defenses wasnt up to par and I just hold Paul under higher standards and he shouldve held his ground more so I think Mitchell is at least on his level


The run defense was terrible because our linebackers were terrible, not because of Paul Soliai.

As for Mitchell, I'm not sure where he has proven to be a better pass rusher. Certainly not in games.

We'll see how this move turns out but the more critical move is what we do at linebacker.

The linebackers were subpar but a stud d line can hide it. Remember the Ravens? Ellerbe was their best linebacker there ad they were beast with Ngata and others manning that line. Its like a rb with a great o line you can find rbs anywhere that can succeed there


Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:30 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4580
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Sando: Dolphins FA Grade (B)
Rich wrote:

As for Mitchell, I'm not sure where he has proven to be a better pass rusher. Certainly not in games.


What does PFF rate them out with pressure, hurries etc?

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:48 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 465
Post Re: Sando: Dolphins FA Grade (B)
10acjed wrote:
Rich wrote:

As for Mitchell, I'm not sure where he has proven to be a better pass rusher. Certainly not in games.


What does PFF rate them out with pressure, hurries etc?

I dont remember that but I do remember people praising him when he got signed that he's a better pass rusher then given credit for and if thats true then its an added asset and he's 26 while Pauls 30 with a smaller contract. I just think that he may be a better option even though I love Paul and for what he did for us


Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:01 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21592
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Sando: Dolphins FA Grade (B)
ag_fin_90 wrote:
The linebackers were subpar but a stud d line can hide it.


Subpar is being nice. Phillip Wheeler was simply the worst 4-3 outside linebacker in the NFL. Let me say it again... worst.

Ellerbe was bottom of the league at inside linebacker.

Those guys missed so many tackles and were out of position so often, it had nothing to do with the defensive tackles.

Just one season before, with different linebackers, our run defense was markedly better.

Only one thing changed - the linebackers.

Quote:
Remember the Ravens? Ellerbe was their best linebacker there ad they were beast with Ngata and others manning that line.


Totally different system with the Ravens who were running a 3-4 so Ellerbe did not need to cover as much ground. In a 4-3, he needs to be sideline to sideline. He needs to be THE MAN. He didn't have to in Baltimore.

Quote:
Its like a rb with a great o line you can find rbs anywhere that can succeed there


I don't think it is as simple as you are saying. Defensive tackles take up blockers. Linebackers are supposed to come in and clean up. You can't clean up if you are missing tackles and overpursuing.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:14 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21592
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Sando: Dolphins FA Grade (B)
10acjed wrote:
What does PFF rate them out with pressure, hurries etc?


Soliai, 2 sacks, 12 pressures in 526 snaps.

Mitchell, 4 sacks, 12 pressures in 553 snaps.

They rate Soliai slightly better than Mitchell at rushing the QB.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:18 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4760
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: Sando: Dolphins FA Grade (B)
Quote:
Soliai, 2 sacks, 12 pressures in 526 snaps.


Soliai also played hurt most of the last season and wasn't himself in a number of games.

If that front line isn't there to slow things down that's a problem. It is an even bigger problem if the linebackers cannot close tackles and take care of business, especially finishing off at the point of attack.

I agree Rich. Backers were an issue and Ellerbe is out of place in the fins defense. Wheeler's tackle count is misleading as he let a lot of guys get down field on him AFTER the initial miss of an angle of his tackling or just getting off of him gaining more yards. Missed tackles etc.

Here we all thought Burnett and Dansby had trouble going side to side. On paper Wheeler and Elerbe look younger and faster........on paper.


Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 465
Post Re: Sando: Dolphins FA Grade (B)
Rich wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:
The linebackers were subpar but a stud d line can hide it.


Subpar is being nice. Phillip Wheeler was simply the worst 4-3 outside linebacker in the NFL. Let me say it again... worst.

Ellerbe was bottom of the league at inside linebacker.

Those guys missed so many tackles and were out of position so often, it had nothing to do with the defensive tackles.

Just one season before, with different linebackers, our run defense was markedly better.

Only one thing changed - the linebackers.

Quote:
Remember the Ravens? Ellerbe was their best linebacker there ad they were beast with Ngata and others manning that line.


Totally different system with the Ravens who were running a 3-4 so Ellerbe did not need to cover as much ground. In a 4-3, he needs to be sideline to sideline. He needs to be THE MAN. He didn't have to in Baltimore.

Quote:
Its like a rb with a great o line you can find rbs anywhere that can succeed there


I don't think it is as simple as you are saying. Defensive tackles take up blockers. Linebackers are supposed to come in and clean up. You can't clean up if you are missing tackles and overpursuing.

I agree with the things you're saying also the line didnt win their 1 on 1 matchups for the most part like before. Wheeler sucks I agree, Ellerbe may not be a ilb and I can see that also so they're not good enough but I held the d line to a high standard and I didnt see the 1 on 1 man to man wins that im used to with the group like we're used to and I would think you agree. Basically everybody has to step up more


Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:56 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Deus ex dolphin and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.