View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Moreno to visit the Dolphins Friday 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Moreno to visit the Dolphins Friday
Quote:
The Dolphins are apparently interested in the veteran running back's ability to help a backfield looking for upgrade from Lamar Miller or Daniel Thomas. The Dolphins like Moreno's ability to pass-protect -- something he was adept at while helping to protect Peyton Manning in Denver.

By the way, the Dolphins under Dennis Hickey have been serious about the players they bring in. Every player who has visited has signed except for linebacker D'Qwell Jackson. Every player who visited got a contract offer, including Jackson.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:23 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Moreno to visit the Dolphins Friday
I'd say he's gonna be a Fin. The fan base is definitely completely split on this one though.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I'd say he's gonna be a Fin. The fan base is definitely completely split on this one though.

Vet RB with post season experience, decent runner, good hands out of the backfield and he can block...

Sounds like a guy worth looking at to me..

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:08 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Gotta be better than wasting another draft pick on a guy. Isn't Moreno like 25 or 26?

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
Gotta be better than wasting another draft pick on a guy. Isn't Moreno like 25 or 26?

Drafted in 2009, 26 years old.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:50 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Im still holding out for a Chris Johnson to Miami scenario!

Im in the consensus that alot of the good things out of Moreno came by playing with Peyton Manning. I think he is only a slight upgrade over what we have. Better pass catcher but running the ball not much better if any. A motivated CJ2K is better that all of them and he is 27 0r 28.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:54 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Moreno had the 3rd most rushing TDs in the league (tied with Adrian Peterson with 38 less carries) last season. He also didn't fumble in all 241 of his snaps. He had the 6th most catches and the 5th most yards receiving by a RB last season. Hard to attribute all of that as being an asset to Peyton Manning. The kid gotz skillz.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:35 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Moreno had the 3rd most rushing TDs in the league (tied with Adrian Peterson with 38 less carries) last season. He also didn't fumble in all 241 of his snaps. He had the 6th most catches and the 5th most yards receiving by a RB last season. Hard to attribute all of that as being an asset to Peyton Manning. The kid gotz skillz.

I am with you AFC.
When comparing passing stats he is virtually the same guy he was with Orton behind center.

2010: Orton QB
37 receptions, 371 yards (10.1) and 3 TD's

2013:
60 receptions, 541 yards (9.1) and 3 TD's

I guess if we are going with the QB making him better we should go back to the "We Want Orton" chants...

He also had similar rushing stats for 2009 and 2013, so I am failing to see where Manning is the reason..

Not to mention he is a solid blocker, which actually helped Manning...

Last edited by 10acjed on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:52 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

i believe he has skills. But he was targeted 74 times with Manning as QB. Prior to that, he was targeted 41 and 48 times in his injury free seasons before Manning.

If you take out his 224 game against NE, he didnt have a 100 yd game all season. His average drops to 4.1 per carry vs Miller who has a 4.0 per carry. So again, not saying he doesnt have some skills, just saying I dont know if he gets those numbers with a stacked line and a less experienced QB.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:52 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

otowndolfan13 wrote:
i believe he has skills. But he was targeted 74 times with Manning as QB. Prior to that, he was targeted 41 and 48 times in his injury free seasons before Manning.

If you take out his 224 game against NE, he didnt have a 100 yd game all season. His average drops to 4.1 per carry vs Miller who has a 4.0 per carry. So again, not saying he doesnt have some skills, just saying I dont know if he gets those numbers with a stacked line and a less experienced QB.

Hard to take away his best game and compare. Miller has 3 games at less than 1.0 YPC, I would imagine if you take his 1 100 yard game out his YPC would plummet as well..

I think if anyone was going to loose his spot by default its Thomas.. And who even knows about that. Could be Thigpen, or putting Gillese (SP) on the practice sqaud etc..

Seems everyone is stuck on Moreno vs Miller...

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:
I think if anyone was going to loose his spot by default its Thomas.. And who even knows about that. Could be Thigpen, or putting Gillese (SP) on the practice sqaud etc..

Seems everyone is stuck on Moreno vs Miller...

The issue is that Moreno and Miller play the same role and wouldn't compliment each other like a bruiser back (Blount) + a speed back (Miller/Moreno) would.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:33 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I have to admit that the guy has perseverance.

He's worked through multiple injuries and new offensive schemes. & he has enough sense to recognize the opportunity given to him. When Peyton shows up, you learn his offense, which requires intelligence and work ethic, & you will find success. He will likely want to continue his progress from here.

So in that respect he could be a solid addition. I'm not saying I know whats going on with Lamar but its fair to wonder if he has the desire to succeed.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He was the guy coming out of the '09 draft.......picked No. 12 overall...........drawing comparisons to Barry Sanders. His longest run in the NFL is 36 yds, so we can do away with the the Barry Sanders' comparisons, but I think he'd be a good pickup, especially in blocking, short yard & red zone. With the lack of immediate interest, we may be able to sign him for something around $3M/yr.

As a side note, MJD had his 2nd meeting with the Steelers yesterday.

I didn't think this deserved it's own post, but here's Serena Williams (Minority Owner Phins) wearing the aqua & orange yesterday at the Sony Open in Miami. Maybe we can sing her up at tailback.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Moreno left Miami without a deal per ESPN.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:42 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

shularino wrote:
He was the guy coming out of the '09 draft.......picked No. 12 overall...........drawing comparisons to Barry Sanders. His longest run in the NFL is 36 yds, so we can do away with the the Barry Sanders' comparisons, but I think he'd be a good pickup, especially in blocking, short yard & red zone. With the lack of immediate interest, we may be able to sign him for something around $3M/yr.

As a side note, MJD had his 2nd meeting with the Steelers yesterday.

I didn't think this deserved it's own post, but here's Serena Williams (Minority Owner Phins) wearing the aqua & orange yesterday at the Sony Open in Miami. Maybe we can sing her up at tailback.

Lol

Tight End? Hiyooo!

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]