View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 My current Mock Draft for Miami 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post My current Mock Draft for Miami
I've mostly been mocking Zack Martin to us for months, then I started to drift into the possibility of defensive tackle at 19, but now I think Miami has taken good care of that position lately so I kind of surprised myself when I had Miami take the BPA recently and landed tight end Eric Ebron. I've had Ebron going to the Jets for months but now I believe that they will fall in love with either Brandin Cooks or Calvin Pryor. And by the way I have Zack Martin gone to the Ravens before we pick.

* - the analysis is provided by NFL.com

Rd. 1
Eric Ebron-TE-UNC

BOTTOM LINE Highly athletic, highly productive "F" tight end dripping with upside and mismatch capability. Ebron might not be in the "freak" category, but his speed, movement skills, hands and run-after-catch skill puts him in the next tier, as he has ample ability to be a playmaker at the next level.

Rd. 2
Jack Mewhort-OT-Ohio St.

BOTTOM LINE Thickly built, physical, highly competitive lineman who manned left tackle competently in college, but is better suited for the right side in the pros. Has starter-caliber strength, athleticism and technique supplemented with desirable intangibles. Versatility to play guard or left tackle in a pinch adds to value.

Rd. 3
Dakota Dozier-OG-Furman

BOTTOM LINE Small-school college left tackle best suited to kick inside in the pros. Has the girth and enough athletic ability to compete as a guard or center and ornery football disposition desired in the trenches. A tough, gritty, road grader capable of paving the way in the run game, Dozier will require some technique refinement in pass protection, yet possesses clear starter potential with continued development. Draft status could ascend if he proves he can play center.

Rd. 4
Charles Sims-RB-West Virginia

BOTTOM LINE Athletic, competitive, tough, upright slasher who is an asset as a receiver -- hands rate among the best on a RB in recent years. Cannot project as a bellcow, but offers playmaking ability as part of a tandem in a zone scheme. Speed and durability could determine ultimate draft value.

Rd. 5
Brandon Coleman-WR-Rutgers

BOTTOM LINE Big, tall, talented, West Coast receiver whose sheer size enables him to be effective outside the numbers, on slant routes and in the red zone, though inconsistency has prevented him from reaching his potential. Has the look of a No. 2 receiver, but his production fell off as a junior (played through a knee injury). He could have used another season to polish his skills.

Rd. 6
Jonathan Dowling-FS-W. Kentucky

BOTTOM LINE Lean, long-levered, smooth-muscled, finesse free safety with speed and range, though he’s more interested in hitting than securing tackles -- he does not provide dependability desired on the back end. Flashes striking ability when his shoulder blows connect. Playmaking ability -- 9 INTs and 8 FFs in last two seasons. Has special-teams experience covering kicks.

Rd. 7
Zach Kerr-DT-Delaware

BOTTOM LINE Thick-bodied, long-armed, powerful 3-4 nose tackle with scheme versatility to factor in a rotation for an even or odd front. Uses a lot of finesse and would be best utilized in a defense where he is allowed to slant, stunt and shoot gaps. Has moldable tools to develop.

Priority Free Agents:
Avery Williamson-MLB-Kentucky
Matt Paradis-C-Boise St.
Tyler Shatley-G-Clemson
Kendell James-CB-Maine
Storm Johnson-RB-UCF

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: My current Mock Draft for Miami
swerve13 wrote:
Rd. 1
Eric Ebron-TE-UNC

BOTTOM LINE Highly athletic, highly productive "F" tight end dripping with upside and mismatch capability. Ebron might not be in the "freak" category, but his speed, movement skills, hands and run-after-catch skill puts him in the next tier, as he has ample ability to be a playmaker at the next level.

Would love this pick. Its why I wished Miami would have went after Oher for the right side. I do not want Miami to be forced to pick an OT just because its a need.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Scot I don't think they feel forced to draft tackle in round 1. The elite tackles will be gone regardless by the time we pick so round 2 is actually a better value round for tackles. But either way I'm fine with either Zack Martin or Ebron. Trading down would also be a real possibility.
I think it's possible to trade out of round 1 and draft Carlos Hyde at the top of round 2.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:32 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

This is cool to fool around with.

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:43 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

I don't think Miami gets Ebron or Sims where you have them. That said, I'd love it.

I've been on Mewhort for a while. I like him as a starting RT day 1 a lot.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:52 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

If Ebron were to get to Miami at #19, he would be very enticing. If the Dolphins get a shot at Zack Streif, that would be huge. I think you can get him at a much better deal than Oher, and he is probably a much better player at this point.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
I don't think Miami gets Ebron or Sims where you have them. That said, I'd love it.

I've been on Mewhort for a while. I like him as a starting RT day 1 a lot.

I like him alot too PR, best thing is his versatility. If we're not liking him at tackle 2 years from now we just bump him inside and he becomes a top NFL guard.

The only reason I have Ebron falling to us is because he is a notch below freakish tight ends prospects of past drafts. He's not Vernon Davis and tight ends seldom get picked in the top 15. Everyone thought Eifert was going top 12 last year and he ended up being picked 21st.

Last edited by swerve13 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
I think you can get him at a much better deal than Oher, and he is probably a much better player at this point.

Hands down Tony that Zach Strief is MUCH better than Michael Oher. If you read up on the analysts comments on Oher, they have him ranked horrible. Unfortunately, his name is full of hype. Great story but the results in his NFL career are medicore at best.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:08 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:
I think you can get him at a much better deal than Oher, and he is probably a much better player at this point.

Hands down Tony that Zach Strief is MUCH better than Michael Oher. If you read up on the analysts comments on Oher, they have him ranked horrible. Unfortunately, his name is full of hype. Great story but the results in his NFL career are medicore at best.

I agree Fin. The contract that he got from the Titans was pretty stunning. It sounds like the Saints may not have the money to do a deal for Zach. If so, Miami could be in good position to obtain Strief.

That would open up things in the draft for Miami big time, including the scenario that Mark mentioned of trading down to acquire additional picks. Would love to land Carlos Hyde of Ohio State somewhere in the 2nd round.

I think he is the best combination of size, power, nice speed and good in the passing game as a receiver and pass blocker.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rtwelve1993 wrote:
This is cool to fool around with.

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

Here is mine

19 TE ERIC EBRON NORTH CAROLINA
50 RB CARLOS HYDE OHIO STATE
81 OT ANTONIO RICHARDSON TENNESSEE
112 G DAKOTA DOZIER FURMAN

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

If this scenario happens I will run out in the snow naked and bark at the moon! This would be a great set of picks!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

agreed Tony, Hyde is the truth. He's been compared to Zac Stacey and Frank Gore. He'll be gone quickly on day 2 of the draft.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:19 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:

If this scenario happens I will run out in the snow naked and bark at the moon! This would be a great set of picks!

Hahaha....Not going that far, but that would be a helluva group of picks. I love Hyde and think he is the best RB in this draft, the most complete with size.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:21 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
agreed Tony, Hyde is the truth. He's been compared to Zac Stacey and Frank Gore. He'll be gone quickly on day 2 of the draft.

Tru Dat Mark. Miami would need to trade up to take him because he is going early in the 2nd round. I would be willing to take him late 1st round if Miami could trade down to that point and acquire additional picks.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:23 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:

ROFL That just made my day. Thanks for the laugh.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:52 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I did one and draftyed BPA and wound up with.
YOUR PICKS
R1
CB JUSTIN GILBERT
OKLAHOMA STATE
R2
TE JACE AMARO
TEXAS TECH
R3
OT JACK MEWHORT
OHIO STATE

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rtwelve1993 wrote:
YOUR PICKS
R1
CB JUSTIN GILBERT
OKLAHOMA STATE
R2
TE JACE AMARO
TEXAS TECH
R3
OT JACK MEWHORT
OHIO STATE

that's a bit low for Amaro and Mewhort. And actually Gilbert is a locked and loaded top 10 pick so I can't agree with any of those picks. LOL

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:05 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

swerve13 wrote:
rtwelve1993 wrote:
YOUR PICKS
R1
CB JUSTIN GILBERT
OKLAHOMA STATE
R2
TE JACE AMARO
TEXAS TECH
R3
OT JACK MEWHORT
OHIO STATE

that's a bit low for Amaro and Mewhort. And actually Gilbert is a locked and loaded top 10 pick so I can't agree with any of those picks. LOL

I agree, but they were the top players there at the time not saying that's who we'll get. I still believe we will go OL in the first, even if we sign another FA. I also think that if one of the QB's should fall we will trade back.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I definitely think we could trade with a team that wants to move up for Derek Carr.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:15 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

swerve13 wrote:
I definitely think we could trade with a team that wants to move up for Derek Carr.

I agree and if Ebron isnt there then im more then willing to do that to load up in areas and guarantee I can get Hyde

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ebron is a guy who doesn't seem to have a knack for finding the endzone.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
If Ebron were to get to Miami at #19, he would be very enticing. If the Dolphins get a shot at Zack Streif, that would be huge. I think you can get him at a much better deal than Oher, and he is probably a much better player at this point.

Based on some tweets from yesterday it sounds like Strief is still in play. Would be a great signing.

How about ASF in the 2nd round? Nice catch radius and end zone target.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Appearing on the Ross Tucker Podcast NFL Films' Greg Cosell suggested North Carolina's Eric Ebron "theoretically" has a chance to be a Vernon Davis-type tight end in the pros.
"And he's probably, see Vernon Davis is much more of a straight-line speed guy," Cosell added. "This guy (Ebron) is more lateral in his movement. You could argue overall that he brings a little more to the table, as a more complete receiver." Cosell did acknowledge Ebron's college tape at times "leaves you wanting more," but described Ebron as a "smooth, athletic mover who looks like a big wide receiver on film" and is "certainly capable of the spectacular."

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:58 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Appearing on the Ross Tucker Podcast NFL Films' Greg Cosell suggested North Carolina's Eric Ebron "theoretically" has a chance to be a Vernon Davis-type tight end in the pros.
"And he's probably, see Vernon Davis is much more of a straight-line speed guy," Cosell added. "This guy (Ebron) is more lateral in his movement. You could argue overall that he brings a little more to the table, as a more complete receiver." Cosell did acknowledge Ebron's college tape at times "leaves you wanting more," but described Ebron as a "smooth, athletic mover who looks like a big wide receiver on film" and is "certainly capable of the spectacular."

He's going to be interesting because this draft is so darn deep but teams will go hard for the o line or qb with those top picks before us so Ebron can go anywhere in the teens

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

and a pack of teams in the teens will go d-tackles and safeties. I think either Ebron or Martin will be the choice.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:38 pm

I can't see Ebron making it to 19. If he did, snatch him up.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

With the season Clay had last year, I don't see us taking Ebron. Ebron wasn't a good blocker in college, he certainly isn't going to get better in the NFL. Assuming he's there....... Zach Martin's the pick. If he's gone, I like the thought of moving back in the first and getting Calvin Pryor S (Louisville) and an additional 2nd. I've said it before, but I really hope we get Chris Borland ILB (Wisconsin) in the 2nd.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:16 pm

shularino wrote:
Ebron wasn't a good blocker in college, he certainly isn't going to get better in the NFL. .

No offense, but that's a ridiculous comment.

BTW, from what I have studied, I've seen a decent blocker and (more importantly) a willing one…That, combined with his physical skill set, and I would bet that blocking isn't an issue for him.

Also, Clay is not a reason to pass up TE's.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

19 TE ERIC EBRON NORTH CAROLINA OR Zach Martin NOTRE DAME
50 RB TRE MASON AUBURN

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
shularino wrote:
Ebron wasn't a good blocker in college, he certainly isn't going to get better in the NFL. .

No offense, but that's a ridiculous comment.

BTW, from what I have studied, I've seen a decent blocker and (more importantly) a willing one…That, combined with his physical skill set, and I would bet that blocking isn't an issue for him.

Also, Clay is not a reason to pass up TE's.

Phins Rock.......I simply said he wasn't that good as a blocker which seems to be the knock on him.

From NFL.com...........

"Lacks ideal height and bulk. Can improve as a blocker, both in-line and on the move -- could stand to improve technique, physicality and finish. Not equipped to lock horns with NFL defensive ends. Inconsistent adjusting to and fitting on moving targets. Blocking effort does not parallel that of receiving. "

From SB Nation.......

Ebron doesn't have the functional strength to overpower defensive ends at the line of scrimmage. But he can do enough to slow his man down and moves well in space. Although he's not always technically sound as a blocker, Ebron often his his hands inside to maintain a block.

From CBSSports......

Blocking technique needs developing - somewhat untested as an in-line blocker.

Granted, outside of Florida State, I didn't watch a lot of ACC Football and the Kid is projected as a top draft pick. It would be surprising if he got passed the Giants at No.12. So if he did drop, maybe we should take him and hope the line holds.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:40 pm

It's the "he certainly isn't going to get better" that I was referring to.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I should have elaborated a bit more. My point was he played in the ACC Coastal, not exactly the toughest conference in college football. If his blocking was an issue there, then I wouldn't expect a quick turnaround in the NFL.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:37 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

shularino wrote:
I should have elaborated a bit more. My point was he played in the ACC Coastal, not exactly the toughest conference in college football. If his blocking was an issue there, then I wouldn't expect a quick turnaround in the NFL.

I got what you were saying the first time - If he struggled in college how much harder will in be in the pros? & I tend to see Clay as a poor mans Vernon Davis already so I think you're right, that is a factor as to why we shouldn't take a TE first.

Look, I think it would be very exciting for us to grab a big, mobile, new pro style TE in the draft but I think our best bet is to get that starter ready O-lineman because if we don't we're still looking to answer that question.

I dont study film or pretend to evaluate players draft value so if someone tells me theyre sure we can fill the last hole or two in our line with picks in the 2nd & 3rd round then I'd understand better

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:17 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Would it be nice to grab a TE that has that Jimmy Graham type of ability, sure. But I don't think TE is the highest priority on the Dolphins list. They just drafted another TE last year, and Clay has indeed turn into a vertical threat from not only the TE but H-back position.

It is pretty obvious that the Dolphins do want to add an ILB, RB and OL still needs to be addressed as well as probably adding another DL, S, & CB.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:26 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
NFL.com's Gil Brandt believes West Virginia senior RB Charles Sims "will surprise some people in the NFL."
"He can really catch the ball well, which is what teams are looking for out of a running back, and does so despite having small hands (8 1/4 inches). You usually don’t find guys who are as good a receiver as Sims with those size hands," Brandt wrote on Friday. Sims transferred from the Houston Cougars to West Virginia for his senior year, where he rushed for 1,095 yards an 11 touchdowns. Sims could be one of the most complete running backs in this years draft.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:27 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
Would it be nice to grab a TE that has that Jimmy Graham type of ability, sure. But I don't think TE is the highest priority on the Dolphins list. They just drafted another TE last year, and Clay has indeed turn into a vertical threat from not only the TE but H-back position.

I really think Tannehill needs a big target and Miami needs a guy who isn't a blocking liability. If memory serves, Clay made a few nice catches down field and took a lot of short throws which turned into broken tackle big games. I don't recall him being a big seam threat or a jump ball target over the middle.

I have no idea if Sims or Egnew can be seam threats.

I don't think Ebron is even getting near 19. I could see him going as early as 7th to the Bucs but no way getting past Pittsburgh. Big Ben needs targets.

I think a guy like Austin Seferian-Jenkins in the 2nd round would a good get. You can put him and Clay on the field at the same time to give Tannehill more options. Plus the guy can block.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:10 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I really think Tannehill needs a big target and Miami needs a guy who isn't a blocking liability. If memory serves, Clay made a few nice catches down field and took a lot of short throws which turned into broken tackle big games. I don't recall him being a big seam threat or a jump ball target over the middle.

I don't think Ebron is even getting near 19. I could see him going as early as 7th to the Bucs but no way getting past Pittsburgh. Big Ben needs targets.

I think a guy like Austin Seferian-Jenkins in the 2nd round would a good get. You can put him and Clay on the field at the same time to give Tannehill more options. Plus the guy can block.

I agree pretty much everything you said, but I still don't see us drafting a TE this year. Too many other needs. Sounds like Keller might be ready for the start of the season, if so why not give him another shot.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:44 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

rtwelve1993 wrote:
jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I agree pretty much everything you said, but I still don't see us drafting a TE this year. Too many other needs. Sounds like Keller might be ready for the start of the season, if so why not give him another shot.

Really we only have needs at ilb, ot, og, slight one at safety and a rb that we can find in day 3. other then ilb maybe I can see us waiting for each position because of the depth of this draft and if you get Ebron it makes all the teams in the NFL have a much harder time defending us and will take Tannehill to another level

Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rtwelve1993 wrote:
jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

The hope is that you are not drafting for need and can just take BPA, which could be Ebron in the 1st or a guy like ASJ in the 2nd. But Hickey left some holes at G, T, LB and RB, which of course Miami targeted but missed in FA. Plus Ross just came out and said Miami will draft its RT. Nice job keeping information close to the vest Mr. Ross.

I'm not sure about Keller, but he could be an option. I'd be less surprised to see Miami give Sims a shot.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:22 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This mock is under the assumption that the Dolphins work out a contract with Knowshon Moreno this week.

1st - Trade Back - Add 4th
1st - Morgan Moses - OT - Virginia
2nd - Gabe Jackson - OG - Mississippi State
3rd - Donte Moncrief - WR - Ole Miss
4th - Craig Loston - SS - LSU
4th - Christian Jones - ILB - Florida State
5th - Jon Halapio - OG - Florida
6th - Seantrel Henderson - OT - Miami
UDFA - Kapri Bibbs - RB - Colorado State
UDFA - Spencer Long - OG - Nebraska
UDFA - Jabari Price - CB - North Carolina
UDFA - Jeff Mathews - QB - Cornell