View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 John Jerry- OG/OT- 3rd round pick 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post John Jerry- OG/OT- 3rd round pick
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/ ... ?id=497018

Quote:
ESPN INSIDER

OVERALL FOOTBALL TRAITS:
Production 2
2005: Signed with Ole Miss but attended Hargrave Military Academy.
2006: (12/12) Started every game at right guard and earned freshman All-SEC honors from league coaches.
2007: (12/9) Played in all 12 games, including nine starts at right guard.
2008: (13/13) Moved to right tackle and started all 13 games.
2009: (12/12) Started in all 12 games, eight at right tackle and four at right guard.

Height-Weight-Speed 3
Massive, wide-body ROT/OG with marginal foot speed. Has size that cannot be coached but also has lots of work to do in the weight room.

Durability 2
No major injuries to our knowledge. Has played in 49 games during career.

Intangibles 2
Comes from good football bloodlines. Brother Peria Jerry was a first-round pick by Atlanta in 2009. Two of his cousins  Eddie Strong and Dwayne Rudd  played in the NFL and another cousin, Jamarca Sanford, is currently starting at safety for Ole Miss and is also an NFL prospect.

OFFENSIVE GUARD SPECIFIC TRAITS:

Awareness 2
Good game experience and versatility. Good instincts. Knows his assignments. Knows when to peel off of combo blocks and pick up stunts and blitzes.

Toughness 3
Massive offensive lineman who can envelop some smaller defenders at the point of attack. Plays to the whistle and effort is never in question. However, he does not play with much of a mean streak. More of a leaner than a fist fighter or mauler.

Pass Protection 2
Wide frame and long arms makes it difficult to get around him, especially inside. Moves well enough in the short area and can steer defensive linemen when he gets into their pads. Adequate anchor versus bull rush when he's set and in position. However, he's not a natural knee-bender. He possesses marginal mirror-and-slide skills and would be a liability on the perimeter. He is a leaner who really become vulnerable when off-balance.

Run Blocking 3
Widebody OL with good agility for size. Does a nice job when asked to pull from the OT position in NFL and should be effective on pulls and traps in NFL. Gets in good position and almost always executes his assignments. He's a leaner, though. Does not show explosive power. Is not a great finisher. Lacks a mean streak and is content to wall off the defender.

1 = Exceptional
2 = Above average
3 = Average
4 = Below average
5 = Marginal

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/pl ... john-jerry

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:27 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: John Jerry OG- 3rd round pick
Im Guessing Left Guard??? But do we really need to upgrade poitions when we have some with that are empty??? NT & FS

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

A waste of a pick in my opinion. You can get guy of his ability later. There are guys like Everson Griffen, Navorro Bowman, Corey Wooten, heck you could even get your O-linemen with Bruce Campbell. John Jerry was a reach at best.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:32 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Kind of a head scratcher! I would not have thought about a OG at this point.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Wow, I haven't heard so much crying and moaning over our picks in years. You would think we were the Raiders judging by fan reactions. Whatever happened to having a little faith in our front office selecting good players?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 pm

Phinfever Live!!! buddy Matt Bitonti from draftdaddy.com wrote from the Senior Bowl way back when.....

Quote:
Ole Miss OT #77 John Jerry received tons of attention from the Dolphins coaching staff. His appeal to power-running teams is apparent.

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:37 pm
Profile YIM

Quote:
Pass blocking: Strong punch at the snap as a pass blocker. Sticky hands and can control the pass rusher when he locks on. Can bend at the waist instead of his knees, especially as he wears down. Doesn't consistently place his hands accurately or move his feet actively when in pass protection and too often is left leaning or attempting to recover due to slipped blocks. Has to show more consistent lateral agility and balance to be considered an offensive tackle -- instead of a guard -- in the NFL.

Run blocking: Good initial pop at the line of scrimmage to stun the defender and can overcome his opponent with his strength and mass as a run blocker. Shows some nastiness and looks to pancake his opponent if he senses he's off-balance. Relies on his mass to gain movement at the point of attack.

Pulling/trapping: Surprising agility to get out and around the line. Good initial quickness off the snap, but loses speed quickly and struggles to adjust to moving targets at the second level.

Initial Quickness: Good first-step quickness for the down block, but this is not one of Jerry's relative strengths. Can struggle with smaller, quicker defenders, at least until he gets his hands on them.

Downfield: Intimidating presence at the second level and can wall off defenders from the ballcarrier. Struggles to adjust in space, and too often whiffs at the second level.

Intangibles: Massive man. Not just big, but very strong. Broke the Ole Miss record with 34 repetitions of 225 pounds last year -- a difficult feat considering his long arms. Too heavy and carries unnecessary weight around the middle, which clearly caused him to labor in the second half of games during the 2008 season. Played last season in the 350-360-pound range, but Ole Miss coaches would have liked him closer to 325. The brother of Atlanta Falcons 2009 first-round pick Peria Jerry, a former All-SEC defensive tackle for the Rebels.

NFL Comparison: Leonard Davis, Cowboys

More:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1245019

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:42 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Not sure why so many people are whining about this pick. Need you be reminded that we had a ton of injuries to our o-line last year? I'm sure that the trifecta will address the most appropriate needs first. :runwiththeball:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:45 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

i love all of our picks so far. we may be drafting in the bottom 4 next year.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

People will whine about this pick until the season starts and we are actually able to run the ball well and we arent giving up a ton of sacks. Look, we were decimated with injuries last year on the oline and for the money we gave them, they underperformed imo. I like this move because it adds a starter at a position of need, and it helps us replace Smiley (whom they've already said they were trading).

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:48 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I like the player a lot, but it's probably a reach and we have a few more needs to fill considering we have only filled one true need in our first 3 picks. But Jerry is massive an a great run blocker; I think he can start at some point for our offense.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:49 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

He received a lot of attention from Miami at the Sr. Bowl from what I remember, but I did not buy it at the time because he was a top of the draft type of an OG.
He's going to be a good player. I agree with iowa though, you can get an OG later. Don't know why they would go in that direction with so many safeties and OLBs on the board, as well as Cam Thomas.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:
A waste of a pick in my opinion. You can get guy of his ability later. There are guys like Everson Griffen, Navorro Bowman, Corey Wooten, heck you could even get your O-linemen with Bruce Campbell. John Jerry was a reach at best.

Saw several mocks that had Miami drafting him in Rd. 3

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:55 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I Just am curious what are plan is for NT & FS! thats all

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Hatecrewadb wrote:
I Just am curious what are plan is for NT & FS! thats all

We drafted our NT in the first round mate.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:01 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

We still have rounds 4, 5, 6 & 7 to address needs. Let the draft play out before we start wondering about needs not being addressed.

The kid is a solid football player. Big, powerful mauler.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:01 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phin wrote:
Wow, I haven't heard so much crying and moaning over our picks in years. You would think we were the Raiders judging by fan reactions. Whatever happened to having a little faith in our front office selecting good players?

:yay: :yay:

Hey, I like the direction we are going. We are no longer adding bodies as we did in year 1. We are now adding difference-makers. I am guessing that Ronnie, Ricky, and Cobbs are high-fiving each other over this selection.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:06 pm
Profile WWW

The trenches man, we need lineman on both sides.....

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:08 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The guy looks to be a solid pick....but not a huge need for our team.

Not long after he came off the board, two safeties go....bang...bang....I guess we are either satisfied with Culver and Clemons, or maybe a trade is in the works. Safety was a huge need going into this draft and we had shots at several of the top rated prospects.

So far, I like the Koa Misi pick (but really thought Kindle was the better choice)....and the other two picks have me scratching my head. Obviously, our defense is going to change its scheme dramatically....otherwise, the picks look mighty strange. I know Sergio Kindle has an injury issue at the moment....but geez....he was highly rated and the Ravens scooped him up and probably laughed their butt off doing it.

Last edited by FrustratedFinFan on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I remember a lot of people, Todd McShay included, heavily questioning the choice of Brian Hartline in the 4th round last year when it was said we already had plenty of possession receivers in Camarillo, Bess and the recently drafted Pat Turner. It was also said he could be had 3 rounds later. How did that turn out?

The brass views guys differently than us fans. Like SC said, let the draft play out.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Phin wrote:

:yay: :yay:

Hey, I like the direction we are going. We are no longer adding bodies as we did in year 1. We are now adding difference-makers. I am guessing that Ronnie, Ricky, and Cobbs are high-fiving each other over this selection.

John Jerry is a difference maker?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yes....Hartline was a nice pick. However, Patrick Turner and Pat White were awful picks. I know you can't hit on them all, but man.....Pat White.....what a stupid pick....and a luxury pick to boot.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I nominate Iowa for the Whine and Cheese award this month.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:18 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
We still have rounds 4, 5, 6 & 7 to address needs. Let the draft play out before we start wondering about needs not being addressed.

The kid is a solid football player. Big, powerful mauler.

I believe we should address our needs with great players in the first few rounds. We should be saving our later roud picks or depth players, special teamers, and possible, one day starters. Not the other way around.

That being said I completely trust our FO...Randy muellers not drafting for us anymore and I'm sure these players will be solid players for us for years to come.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
I nominate Iowa for the Whine and Cheese award this month.

I have yet to whine. I haven't said they suck, the player sucks, we suck they all suck. I've questioned the picks.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:21 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: John Jerry- OG/OT- 3rd round pick
Great pick.

Jerry has always played on the right side--- so he should be fighting for the RG starting job...
wouldnt be surprised if he starts by week1. 4 year player...i think he into lineup fast..
Guard was a big need for the Dolphins--- Smiley is gone... so left Fins with just Thomas and Incognito.....

I was pulling for a TE in this round-- but happy with this pick....

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm still wishing we could have snagged Chad Jones, but in Tuna I trust so I'll let it play.

2009 gave us 3 rookie starters = WIN (Jury still out on Clemons and Nalborne)
2008 gave us 3 rookie starters = WIN (Bonus-Pro Bowler & 2nd year starting QB)

I only hope this year is as successful.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

gatorfins11 wrote:
Guard was a big need for the Dolphins--- Smiley is gone... so left Fins with just Thomas and Incognito.....

They have 6 guards on the roster, including Justin Smiley. I don't know where you got that Smiley was gone.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Iowafin wrote:
gatorfins11 wrote:

They have 6 guards on the roster, including Justin Smiley. I don't know where you got that Smiley was gone.

Jerry takes Feinga out, if that's who your counting.....

Smiley might not get cut but he might not make it a full season either.

Thomas seems to be in the dog house and they might take away his blanket now.

Berger?, depth.

Incog, we'll see....Again a need that's not flashy, might have been filled.

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:45 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Phin wrote:

:yay:

I get enought from the local press and radio down here... I havent even looked at all the posts here, but you deserved this... :yay: :awe:

Ok, now to what everyone else said....

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Iowafin wrote:
gatorfins11 wrote:

Smiley was asked not to attend the Dolphins off season work-outs.... he is being shopped... if he is not traded-- he will be released.

Jerry starts RG early in the season... maybe by week 1 ??

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

do u think there is anyway we can get a 4th or 5th for Smiley? Maybe try and move up in the 4th by swapping picks and giving up Smiley

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Incognito is a ticking time bomb, and Smiley is on the trade block due to under performance and big paycheck...

This guy gives us a cushion at an important spot... We need a beefy O line protecting Henne and opening holes for R&R....

Its not a pick I saw us taking, but it does make some sense... After all, we do have an O-linemen for a head coach...

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:55 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

MIAcubano13 wrote:
do u think there is anyway we can get a 4th or 5th for Smiley? Maybe try and move up in the 4th by swapping picks and giving up Smiley

probably cant get a 4th of 5th for him.... but package him with that rounds selection and swap for a higher pick in that round maybe?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:

For someone that claims to follow this team so intently, this is a pretty asinine comment. I don't know what color the sky in your world is if you think Smiley's sticking around. He wasn't invited to the offseason training program. The writers close to the team have been mentioning his name for weeks as one who's on the outs. Personally, I couldn't be happier. He's NEVER healthy.

You guys complaining about this pick, don't you remember the Carolina game last season, when we were literally down to our last offensive lineman? You can never have too many good linemen, especially on offense.

Donald Thomas is unproven. Richie Incognito is a headcase. Justin Smiley can't stay healthy. All that said, the other guards on this team are Ray Feinga and Dimitri Tsoumpas. WHO? Should injury or anger issues arise, those are the two you want starting on our offensive line? Get real.

I have no problem whatsoever with this pick. In fact, I hope we take another o-lineman or two tomorrow.

OLB has been addressed, although I wouldn't mind Griffen. NT can be addressed later. It's a two down player, and Soliai showed flashes last season. He just needs to put it together. But no rookie is going to come in and be Vince Wilfork from day one. There are still options back in the secondary, including a guy like OJ Atogwe in STL.

Jeez... Relax and let this thing play out. We still have 70% of our draft left.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:16 pm

Ireland: Jerry to be LG with Icog. at RG....can also play RT.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/miami-dolp ... al-feature

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:27 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

MNDolfan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

For someone that claims to follow this team so intently, this is a pretty asinine comment. I don't know what color the sky in your world is if you think Smiley's sticking around. He wasn't invited to the offseason training program. The writers close to the team have been mentioning his name for weeks as one who's on the outs. Personally, I couldn't be happier. He's NEVER healthy.

You guys complaining about this pick, don't you remember the Carolina game last season, when we were literally down to our last offensive lineman? You can never have too many good linemen, especially on offense.

Donald Thomas is unproven. Richie Incognito is a headcase. Justin Smiley can't stay healthy. All that said, the other guards on this team are Ray Feinga and Dimitri Tsoumpas. WHO? Should injury or anger issues arise, those are the two you want starting on our offensive line? Get real.

I have no problem whatsoever with this pick. In fact, I hope we take another o-lineman or two tomorrow.

OLB has been addressed, although I wouldn't mind Griffen. NT can be addressed later. It's a two down player, and Soliai showed flashes last season. He just needs to put it together. But no rookie is going to come in and be Vince Wilfork from day one. There are still options back in the secondary, including a guy like OJ Atogwe in STL.

Jeez... Relax and let this thing play out. We still have 70% of our draft left.

:awe:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

tonelaxn13 wrote:
MNDolfan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

For someone that claims to follow this team so intently, this is a pretty asinine comment. I don't know what color the sky in your world is if you think Smiley's sticking around.

That was completely unnecessary. How was it asinine. Smiley is not gone. When he is, I'll know, but as of right now he's on the roster. If you want to believe everything that journalists write about and what Jeff Ireland says, go right ahead. I go based off what I know. Smiley is a Dolphin until further notice.
"Claims"...give me a break.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:31 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Phin wrote:

I second your motion bud!! Like the 2nd pick, "never heard of him, so he must suck..." --Wow! :hithead: really!?!? The logic there is a little off, butt who am I?!?!

I dont know, I think that any OL you can get is a good pickup, you cant have too many of those in your back pocket! Or draft hasn't been head turning in any fashion, but IMHO, we're doin alright!

Go Dolphins!!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphinfanbob wrote:
Phin wrote:

The logic there is a little off, butt who am I?!?!

Obviously someone that doesn't come around on these boards too often. Rich uses satire frequently...it was facetious.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next