View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
So you're saying no player should be compared to another player since no 2 players are in the same exact situation?

Obviously Wilson has a lot more help than Tannehill. You can talk about that fact all you want. But that doesn't have to do with the ability he shows on the field to do what I've been saying he does, as compared to Tannehill.

I don't think he's saying two guys can't be compared, but they are two QBs in completely different situations. Wilson makes plays because his line gives him time, the backs take pressure off and the coaches don't put him in difficult spots.

How can Tannehill scramble as often as Wilson when his lanes to go outside are the ones being cut off because the tackles get beat and the backs whiff on picking up blitzes?

We saw what Tannehill did against the Jets, Pats and Steelers when he had something of a balanced offense and a defense that prevented complete shootouts (Pitt being a bit of an exception).

Tannehill had a deep ball issue with Wallace, but he made some pretty big plays in key situations to keep his offense in games where they should have been soundly defeated. How many games did Tannehill make plays, keep the team in it but it wasn't enough? Then look at the number of plays Wilson had to make in any given game but with the addition of a run game to keep defenses honest. Wilson didn't blow you away with numbers because he wasn't called upon to do so and therein lies the key to this debate. How many garbage interceptions did Tannehill have to throw because he just had to heave it? How many sacks did he take because his o-line couldn't handle a simple 4 man pass rush? How often did he have to try and win a game because the offense couldn't run the ball for more than 20 yards? When was Wilson ever asked to overcome things like this?

Sorry, I just don't think it is a fair comparison.
The o-line may have been a problem for Tannehill but his lack of awareness in the pocket led him to look Rob Johnsonesque at times.
I'm also thinking that we may not keep ties with Tannehill much longer as his biggest supporters in the front office are no longer here.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

Now that's a good post.

We can't really debate much because this is all completely subjective and there's not much tangible to go off of. But you are right, in most respects it's not a fair comparison.

I know I'm a broken record, but all I'm saying is that while Wilson does have the help that Ryan doesn't, he also makes elite throws and plays with his feet that Tannehill doesn't. Tannehill's game is very mechanical, while Wilson goes out there and finds ways to make things happen down the field and when the play breaks down.

What one would do in the other's shoes is hypothetical, but it's just like scouting a college player. They're in different systems, playing different levels of competition with different supporting casts around them. Their production is not comparable, but the attributes they display are. And for me, Wilson displays elite attributes that we've yet to see from Ryan…at least consistently.

When you said that Tannehills game is mechanical something about that rings true to me as I watch him play. imo I think some of the mechanical game has been coached into him. I think Tannehill can be a lot better qb if he gets quality coaching.

One thing a few commentators noted about Seattle is that some of the players had a chip on their shoulders because of the late rounds they were drafted in and I wondered is that because their talent evaluators there are so much better than in the rest of the NFL. That is probably some of it but I also wondered if they had been getting better coaching as well.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Let's just see what Lazor can do with him next season before we rush to judgement and ship him out.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:52 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Look at how close Mark Sanchez was to winning a Super Bowl.
He's 4-2 in the playoffs, without playing a single game at home.
That guy is a winner. He beat Brady!!!!
He made the plays when he needed to.

See what I mean? Now, Sanchez is no where near as good as Wilson, but that is not what I am pointing out.
A team's success is attributed soley to the QB way too often with our lazy sports media.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:14 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You still need a QB to make plays and win during the season to get you to the SB. Look around the league and check WIlson's numbers, he is a franchise QB, but he has the supporting cast. He was spotted 16 points and all three aspects of the team balled. The problem with MIA is the offense and defense sucks.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:22 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Wilson made plays. I am sure most of us thought that as Seattle grew their lead , Manning would find a way to chip away at it , keep it somewhat close & find a way to win at the end. But Wilson would have none of that. He made clutch throws on 3rd down while also doing damage with his legs. Its a team game , its not solely on the QB but there have been QB's who would falter , choke ... whatever. Wilson did not succumb. He kept his foot on the pedal.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:30 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
You still need a QB to make plays and win during the season to get you to the SB. Look around the league and check WIlson's numbers, he is a franchise QB, but he has the supporting cast. He was spotted 16 points and all three aspects of the team balled. The problem with MIA is the offense and defense sucks.

I agree. And let's not forget that the great Peyton Manning didn't look good with poor protection.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2