View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:36 pm



Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012 
Author Message
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 194
Post Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Guys and Gals,

Loved seeing Russell Wilson win a Super Bowl, the 1st in his class, before Ryan Tannehill and Andrew Luck.

I predicted Seahawks would win the Super Bowl before playoffs started.


Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:29 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1006
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
It was gift wrapped for him.

_________________
Image


Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:43 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3660
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Please , he is no Tannehill. After all Tannehill beat him head to head. After all as Dolphin fans we know super bowl wins do not matter.
Honestly though ...
Gotta give Carrol some credit though , starting him over Flynn after paying Flynn.
With that home field advantage , this team should contend for quite awhile & if they continue to get home field through out the playoffs this wont be their last super bowl.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:52 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 194
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
I agree, it was mostly defense, but he made some nice throws to seal the game.

I am just so glad Manning didn't win it.

I know its a selfish thought on my behalf, I wanted Manning to come here, that's why I wished he failed along with Elway.

He disrespected our team and what comes around goes around.


Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:13 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
dolphans1 wrote:
He disrespected our team and what comes around goes around.


Because he didn't sign with us? Lol c'mon man...


Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:17 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3660
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
dolphans1 wrote:
I agree, it was mostly defense, but he made some nice throws to seal the game.

I am just so glad Manning didn't win it.

I know its a selfish thought on my behalf, I wanted Manning to come here, that's why I wished he failed along with Elway.

He disrespected our team and what comes around goes around.


:headscratch

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:17 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8432
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
dolphans1 wrote:
Guys and Gals,

Loved seeing Russell Wilson win a Super Bowl, the 1st in his class, before Ryan Tannehill and Andrew Luck.

I predicted Seahawks would win the Super Bowl before playoffs started.


Yep, he played a very good game and I was happy for him. If anyone doesn't want to give him credit remember that the Broncos had Marshawn Lynch bottled up most of the game, so, the offense was on his shoulders. Great job by the Seahawks defense.

I was pulling for the Broncos, but I had told my son that even though it was the #1 offense vs the #1 defense that defenses usually win those battles in the big game.

It was a very disappointing Super Bowl as it wasn't the tight game that I was expecting. I hate blowout Super Bowls.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:36 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5437
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
I get the point that Wilson didn't really have to do a ton since he started 4 or 5 drives on Denver's side of the field. But I hope Tannehill took a ton of notes watching him play last night, especially on escaping the pocket and buying more time. He had a very good game.

That deep pass was a thing of beauty. My buddy and I pretty much yelled holy bleep when he completed it.

Russell Wilson is going to be a very good QB for a long time.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:42 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20625
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Ryan Tannehill and Andrew Luck would also have a good chance of winning a Superbowl if they had the #1 defense and #4 rushing offense. Not to mention much better coaching in Ryan Tannehill's case.

Wilson's a good young QB, but he has it made with that surrounding cast.

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:46 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5768
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
He did have a nice game, BUT it helped to have a safety, a pick 6, and a special teams TD. That's 16 pts right there, not to mention another pick and a fumble. Henne would have won that SB.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:00 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5437
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
I agree with both Rich and Mak. I'm not taking anything away from Wilson, nor do I think he is light years better than the other members of his class.

And yeah, I've said before that if you swapped Tannehill and Kaepernick that Tannehill would have better numbers than him in SF. The same might be true of Tannehill and Wilson.

What I'd like to see is Tannehill getting away from forcing himself to stay in the pocket too long. Wilson seems to know when to bail and makes good throws on the run. That is what we saw from Tannehill in college and his rookie year.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:27 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8432
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
dolphans1 wrote:
I agree, it was mostly defense, but he made some nice throws to seal the game.

I am just so glad Manning didn't win it.

I know its a selfish thought on my behalf, I wanted Manning to come here, that's why I wished he failed along with Elway.

He disrespected our team and what comes around goes around.



Actually he showed a lot of class. Even though he didn't want to play for us (due to the lack of talent on this team), the national media hyped him coming to the Dolphins up so much that he actually gave us an interview to make us not look like true idiots.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5154
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Oh sweet. Another thread for people to passive-aggressively take away from Wilson in an attempt to put Tannehill on his level.

All I know is Wilson isn't flashy all of the time, but the kid doesn't play tight. He typically doesn't put the team in bad spots and he made all the throws he had to yesterday with Beast-Mode being firmly kept in check. Ya, ya, ya the defense made plays ..... there's no denying it. But Russell still had to put points up on the board. He didn't just go out there and kill time.

Watching that Seahawks team is just a reminder of how far away this Dolphins squad is right now.

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:26 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5727
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
I would say that Wilson is the ultimate commander in the NFL. His stats aren;t eye popping because they are a smash mouth running team. But he doesnt make mistakes, He's impossible to sack, and he buys enough time to launch those deep strikes downfield. Already a top 6 quarterback IMO.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:41 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 903
Location: Lakeland, FL
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Russ Willy right away gave props to God. And now hes going to join the Rangers spring training.

I'm a fan

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:43 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20625
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Rock Sexton wrote:
Another thread for people to passive-aggressively take away from Wilson


You're right.

The Seahawks do not have the best defense in the NFL and do not have a dominant running game.

Wilson did it all on his own.

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:59 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Rich wrote:
The Seahawks do not have the best defense in the NFL and do not have a dominant running game.

Wilson did it all on his own.


Rock said nothing that even remotely resembled that. WTH are you reading?

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:06 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20625
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:
The Seahawks do not have the best defense in the NFL and do not have a dominant running game.

Wilson did it all on his own.


Rock said nothing that even remotely resembled that. WTH are you reading?


So it went right over your head.

He said people are passively-aggressively taking away from what he did.

No one is doing that. They are simply pointing out the FACTS.

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:26 pm
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8432
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
I'll never get why some people think that a Super Bowl win makes the winning quarterback "super". All I know is that the 2012 draft was a great year for quarterbacks as it turned out 5 starters and 2 tweeners. Even though Luck does not have a Super Bowl win yet, I still think he is the most talented quarterback in that group of quarterbacks.

Image


.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5727
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
I just hope Tannehill can get up to Foles level next season.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:57 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3660
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Rock .. that was one of your best posts imo.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:59 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
TEAMS win Super Bowls.

If a QB could do it alone, then the broncos would have won.

Looking at the level of teamwork on the Dolphins, I don't know how they even managed 8 wins.

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5727
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
I've thought Wilson was the best of that lot and I stand by that.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:11 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Rock Sexton wrote:
Oh sweet. Another thread for people to passive-aggressively take away from Wilson in an attempt to put Tannehill on his level.

All I know is Wilson isn't flashy all of the time, but the kid doesn't play tight. He typically doesn't put the team in bad spots and he made all the throws he had to yesterday with Beast-Mode being firmly kept in check. Ya, ya, ya the defense made plays ..... there's no denying it. But Russell still had to put points up on the board. He didn't just go out there and kill time.

Watching that Seahawks team is just a reminder of how far away this Dolphins squad is right now.


Fantastic post.

The way he escapes the pocket, makes throws down the field, the confidence and leadership he plays with...We can sit here and talk about his supporting cast all we want. It's deserved and they are one of the two supremely talented teams in the league (along with SF). However, Ryan isn't on Wilson's level. Not close, IMO.

Does Ryan win that game with Seattle? Yeah....But Ryan wouldn't have made the plays Wilson made two weeks ago against SF to put them there.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:22 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Russell Wilson's success has probably moved Manziel up on a few team's draft boards.

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Phins Rock wrote:
Does Ryan win that game with Seattle? Yeah....But Ryan wouldn't have made the plays Wilson made two weeks ago against SF to put them there.


Wilson has also had a lifetime's worth of experience playing QB, Tannehill...not so much. Don't forget that, his ceiling is very high.

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:27 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Does Ryan win that game with Seattle? Yeah....But Ryan wouldn't have made the plays Wilson made two weeks ago against SF to put them there.


Wilson has also had a lifetime's worth of experience playing QB, Tannehill...not so much. Don't forget that, his ceiling is very high.


Tannehill has just as much as Wilson.

Russell started more games in college, but it's not like Tannehill just started playing QB when he was at A&M.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:36 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5437
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Phins Rock wrote:
Does Ryan win that game with Seattle? Yeah....But Ryan wouldn't have made the plays Wilson made two weeks ago against SF to put them there.


No offense, but how do you know this? Marshawn Lynch also had over 100 yards rushing and the defense came up huge against Kaepernick in the passing game (his legs kept SF alive). We've seen Tannehill make big 4th quarter plays against tough teams when he gets that type of support.

Its impossible to measure how either Wilson or Tannehill would flourish or falter if the roles were reversed, and I should probably stop making the Tannehill-Kaepernick comparison to avoid hypocrisy.

I think Russell Wilson is a top 10 QB on a very good team. I think Ryan Tannehill can be a top 10 QB but doesn't have a reliable team yet.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:42 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5154
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Rich wrote:
You're right.

The Seahawks do not have the best defense in the NFL and do not have a dominant running game.

Wilson did it all on his own.


Never said anything to the contrary.

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Rock said nothing that even remotely resembled that. WTH are you reading?


LOL .... I know right.

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:58 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20625
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Rock Sexton wrote:
Never said anything to the contrary.


Never said you did. But hey, the way you opened your post was one of those great discussion starters that leads to threads getting derailed. Take a veiled, general shot at those you disagree with rather than just stating your point of view and moving on.

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:22 pm
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8432
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
rodneyfaile wrote:
Russell Wilson's success has probably moved Manziel up on a few team's draft boards.


How does he move up from the top spot?

:haha

I would draft Manziel #1. He is going to be a special kind of a player and make things exciting for the fans. If you are drafting at the top then you don't have a QB. It is time to go Johnny-Ball.

(I told you all that Russell Wilson would be a good quarterback before that draft. Listen to the master here;)

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5154
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Rich wrote:
Never said you did. But hey, the way you opened your post was one of those great discussion starters that leads to threads getting derailed. Take a veiled, general shot at those you disagree with rather than just stating your point of view and moving on.


"You're right.

The Seahawks do not have the best defense in the NFL and do not have a dominant running game.

Wilson did it all on his own." Rich


Ya, but those comments above are the most constructive in the history of the interwebs right? I even mentioned how the D played lights out in the Super Bowl. However Beast Mode was contained and it was up to Wilson to shoulder the offense, which he did.

What I stated was not veiled though. I directly called out passive aggressive "people". That is my view. I then gave individual thoughts on Wilson's performance. Unlike some, I don't find it necessary single out each individual who was commenting in a passive-aggressive manner.

Thanks again for your suggestions as always Rich! =o)

_________________
Image


Last edited by Rock Sexton on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:41 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20625
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Phins Rock wrote:
However, Ryan isn't on Wilson's level. Not close, IMO.


I'm not sure how this is determinable given Ryan's defense and running game versus Russell's defense and running game.

If Russell Wilson is on the Miami Dolphins with Mike Sherman pigeon-holing him into his archaic philosophy, he's not having anywhere near the success he has had.

Not even close.

Quote:
Does Ryan win that game with Seattle? Yeah....But Ryan wouldn't have made the plays Wilson made two weeks ago against SF to put them there.


I seem to recall a lot of plays where Wilson was scrambling way too far back and getting himself in trouble with intentional groundings etc.

He did make the one play on 4th down for a go-ahead score, which was as ballsy and clutch as it gets (it was a free play too), but Seattle's defense won that game as well by intercepting Kaepernick twice, especially once to seal the win.

Listen, Wilson is a fine young QB who is playing beyond his stature and obviously given it is early in his career he has more room to grow.

But clearly the superior QB going into the game was Peyton Manning. There is no debating that.

And yet the inferior QB's team destroyed the superior QB's team... because while many love to say it is all about the QB, the Superbowl was clearly about the better TEAM.

By the way, earlier this season there was a comparison between Manning's deep ball and Tannehill's deep ball.

How did Manning's deep ball look like night with Cliff Avril in his face all game?

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
However, Ryan isn't on Wilson's level. Not close, IMO.


I'm not sure how this is determinable given Ryan's defense and running game versus Russell's defense and running game.

If Russell Wilson is on the Miami Dolphins with Mike Sherman pigeon-holing him into his archaic philosophy, he's not having anywhere near the success he has had.

Not even close.

Quote:
Does Ryan win that game with Seattle? Yeah....But Ryan wouldn't have made the plays Wilson made two weeks ago against SF to put them there.


I seem to recall a lot of plays where Wilson was scrambling way too far back and getting himself in trouble with intentional groundings etc.

He did make the one play on 4th down for a go-ahead score, which was as ballsy and clutch as it gets (it was a free play too), but Seattle's defense won that game as well by intercepting Kaepernick twice, especially once to seal the win.

Listen, Wilson is a fine young QB who is playing beyond his stature and obviously given it is early in his career he has more room to grow.

But clearly the superior QB going into the game was Peyton Manning. There is no debating that.

And yet the inferior QB's team destroyed the superior QB's team... because while many love to say it is all about the QB, the Superbowl was clearly about the better TEAM.

By the way, earlier this season there was a comparison between Manning's deep ball and Tannehill's deep ball.

How did Manning's deep ball look like night with Cliff Avril in his face all game?


I don't disagree with anything you said.

I just look at the plays Wilson makes, and I don't see Tannehill replicating that, regardless of the supporting cast.

Wilson may not have to make a lot of plays and put the team on his back. But when he does have to make plays, he does, and does it consistently against the best in the most critical situations. About as often as any QB today, to be honest.

Not saying Wilson is Manning. Obviously not. But my point it's hard for me to sit here and take things away from Wilson because he doesn't have to do as much as some others, like Ryan in Miami. At the end of the day, the way he creates throwing lanes for himself, extends plays, his deep ball, his football intelligence and maturity, his moxy/leadership/confidence…It's all better than Tannehill's. Some of it significantly better.

I also think the thing that attracts me more to Wilson is how much he's improved. Tannehill got better from year 1 to year 2, but also took steps back in a lot of areas. Wilson, at least in my opinion, massively improved in 2013, and got better as the season went on.

Wilson reminds me a lot of Brady. Obviously not in terms of his physical traits or style of play, but in terms of his career trajectory. Brady also managed great teams to Super Bowls without having to do a lot to win games, especially that first one…but it doesn't mean he wasn't elite when he had to be.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:09 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20625
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Phins Rock wrote:
I just look at the plays Wilson makes, and I don't see Tannehill replicating that, regardless of the supporting cast.


Sorry, but when you say "regardless of the supporting cast" your argument loses all validity. These guys are not paying in a vacuum. They are out there surrounded by a team that plays a huge role in their success.

Russell Wilson benefits greatly from the personnel department that has been able to find so many diamonds in the rough, the coaching staff that is able to put players in schemes that work for them, that use their strengths, and the surrounding talent that makes their defense and running game elite.

Ryan Tannehill is saddled greatly by a personnel department that failed to address his best friend, the offensive line, coaches that do not know how to utilize talent and surrounding players that would be back ups anywhere else.

You can't just sit there and dismiss all that with the "regardless of the supporting cast" argument.

Quote:
But my point it's hard for me to sit here and take things away from Wilson


No one is taking anything away from Wilson. But the facts are the facts.

Quote:
his moxy/leadership/confidence…It's all better than Tannehill's. Some of it significantly better.


Again, this is not determinable because they are not in exact situations.

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:31 pm
Posts: 69
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
In a lot of the Posts I see below we wish we had the team Seattle does. They have the best defense and a great running game. Wilson did this and Wilson didn't do that. The fact is the kid made perfect throws when he needed to. Before we can judge Ryan Tannehill on his future, we have to at least give him some meaningful protection and some type of running game. With all of that going for him Wilson only completed 2.7 percent more of his passes then Tannehill. I think T-Hill will get better and gain confidence if he wasn't constantly wondering if he'll have more then 2 seconds to throw.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:11 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Rich wrote:
Sorry, but when you say "regardless of the supporting cast" your argument loses all validity.


No it doesn't. Supporting cast doesn't have anything to do with the way Wilson is able to hit his receivers down field consistently, or escape the pocket and extend plays at an elite level with his feet and vision.

Quote:
Again, this is not determinable because they are not in exact situations.


Rich, I can't imagine what you would come back with if the coin was flipped.

I'll just stick with this. So you're saying no player should be compared to another player since no 2 players are in the same exact situation?

Obviously Wilson has a lot more help than Tannehill. You can talk about that fact all you want. But that doesn't have to do with the ability he shows on the field to do what I've been saying he does, as compared to Tannehill.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:15 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3660
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
You know what ... in todays NFL while its nice to have the best defense , top 5 running game & offense if you dont have the QB to go with it you will not get a ring. Its almost like some are faulting Wilson because he has all this. Fact is they have a decent enough front office to put this all together. Carrol took over a 5 win team 4 years ago.
What has our front office done in that same time?
You cant diminish how good a QB is because he has a good cast around him.
Wilson is a helluva QB , he is a great fit there as well , can another QB have had the same success?? We will never know. But enough of trying to enhance Tannehills abilities by emphasizing his lack of a supporting cast.
Rocks post was right on ... and we know if it really was absurd he would have been told.
You want to know haw good Tannehill really is or can be .... Trade Him because playing in a circus atmosphere we will never know.
The kid has a ring ... and I know as Dolphin fans we are sensitive to judging a QB by that but it does mean something.
He is a second year kid playing on the biggest stage & he did not screw it up , in fact he excelled while the seasoned veteran did not.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:39 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5437
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
Phins Rock wrote:
So you're saying no player should be compared to another player since no 2 players are in the same exact situation?

Obviously Wilson has a lot more help than Tannehill. You can talk about that fact all you want. But that doesn't have to do with the ability he shows on the field to do what I've been saying he does, as compared to Tannehill.


I don't think he's saying two guys can't be compared, but they are two QBs in completely different situations. Wilson makes plays because his line gives him time, the backs take pressure off and the coaches don't put him in difficult spots.

How can Tannehill scramble as often as Wilson when his lanes to go outside are the ones being cut off because the tackles get beat and the backs whiff on picking up blitzes?

We saw what Tannehill did against the Jets, Pats and Steelers when he had something of a balanced offense and a defense that prevented complete shootouts (Pitt being a bit of an exception).

Tannehill had a deep ball issue with Wallace, but he made some pretty big plays in key situations to keep his offense in games where they should have been soundly defeated. How many games did Tannehill make plays, keep the team in it but it wasn't enough? Then look at the number of plays Wilson had to make in any given game but with the addition of a run game to keep defenses honest. Wilson didn't blow you away with numbers because he wasn't called upon to do so and therein lies the key to this debate. How many garbage interceptions did Tannehill have to throw because he just had to heave it? How many sacks did he take because his o-line couldn't handle a simple 4 man pass rush? How often did he have to try and win a game because the offense couldn't run the ball for more than 20 yards? When was Wilson ever asked to overcome things like this?

Sorry, I just don't think it is a fair comparison.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:43 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Russell Wilson wins a Super Bowl in his class 2012
jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
So you're saying no player should be compared to another player since no 2 players are in the same exact situation?

Obviously Wilson has a lot more help than Tannehill. You can talk about that fact all you want. But that doesn't have to do with the ability he shows on the field to do what I've been saying he does, as compared to Tannehill.


I don't think he's saying two guys can't be compared, but they are two QBs in completely different situations. Wilson makes plays because his line gives him time, the backs take pressure off and the coaches don't put him in difficult spots.

How can Tannehill scramble as often as Wilson when his lanes to go outside are the ones being cut off because the tackles get beat and the backs whiff on picking up blitzes?

We saw what Tannehill did against the Jets, Pats and Steelers when he had something of a balanced offense and a defense that prevented complete shootouts (Pitt being a bit of an exception).

Tannehill had a deep ball issue with Wallace, but he made some pretty big plays in key situations to keep his offense in games where they should have been soundly defeated. How many games did Tannehill make plays, keep the team in it but it wasn't enough? Then look at the number of plays Wilson had to make in any given game but with the addition of a run game to keep defenses honest. Wilson didn't blow you away with numbers because he wasn't called upon to do so and therein lies the key to this debate. How many garbage interceptions did Tannehill have to throw because he just had to heave it? How many sacks did he take because his o-line couldn't handle a simple 4 man pass rush? How often did he have to try and win a game because the offense couldn't run the ball for more than 20 yards? When was Wilson ever asked to overcome things like this?

Sorry, I just don't think it is a fair comparison.


Now that's a good post.

We can't really debate much because this is all completely subjective and there's not much tangible to go off of. But you are right, in most respects it's not a fair comparison.

I know I'm a broken record, but all I'm saying is that while Wilson does have the help that Ryan doesn't, he also makes elite throws and plays with his feet that Tannehill doesn't. Tannehill's game is very mechanical, while Wilson goes out there and finds ways to make things happen down the field and when the play breaks down.

What one would do in the other's shoes is hypothetical, but it's just like scouting a college player. They're in different systems, playing different levels of competition with different supporting casts around them. Their production is not comparable, but the attributes they display are. And for me, Wilson displays elite attributes that we've yet to see from Ryan…at least consistently.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:01 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], phinsfanmel and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.