View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Parcells scouting @ Shrine practice/ Marshall there also 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Parcells scouting @ Shrine practice/ Marshall there also
Quote:
By the way, the practices for the East-West Shrine game in Orlando began on Monday and Bill Parcells was present checking out the talent for himself. But that's not the interesting part. Fact is, Parcells attended the practices for the Orange Bowl teams here in South Florida, too. He wants to see the talent up close and personal.

The intriguing thing to me is that Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall, a native of Central Florida was also at the practice. OK, math lesson of 2 + 2 hopefully =ing a beast WR for Miami.

As you know, Marshall was not on great terms with the Broncos when the season ended. He was, in fact, inactive the final game of the season for reasons the coaching staff determined. So the talk is Marshall may be available when the league year begins in March.

What if Marshall approached Parcells? What if Parcells approached Marshall? If it was going to happen, this would have been the perfect venue. Furthermore, with their interview of former Denver defensive coordinator Mike Nolan coming up, one would assume the Dolphins will be able to get the inside dope on Marshall if they are so inclined.

Obviously, it's up to them to be inclined. But if they are, opportunities are opening to them for gaining information on Marshall -- including talking directly to the player. Coincidently and unofficially, of course.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

:grin:

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:25 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Post Re: Parcells scouting @ Shrine practice/ Marshall there also
I'm getting giddy.....and I don't know why because I am completely against getting Marshall.

Listen...if he behaves.........

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:34 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
I'm getting giddy.....and I don't know why because I am completely against getting Marshall.

This guy is too good to not want. I think he can be controlled. I know Sparano has no tolerance for that kind of nonsense.

Maybe Parcells is going to get a feel for the guy. We need to make a splash in FA this year. The positions of need are available to be had in FA. Especially the ones that typically take time to develop. WR, NT.

I am all for drafting ILB's. But, I'd like to see WR addressed in FA. NT could fall either way for me, as Parcells has a penchant of finding very good ones LATE in the draft.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:48 pm

hypocritex wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

This guy is too good to not want. I think he can be controlled. I know Sparano has no tolerance for that kind of nonsense.

Maybe Parcells is going to get a feel for the guy. We need to make a splash in FA this year. The positions of need are available to be had in FA. Especially the ones that typically take time to develop. WR, NT.

I am all for drafting ILB's. But, I'd like to see WR addressed in FA. NT could fall either way for me, as Parcells has a penchant of finding very good ones LATE in the draft.

I can't agree more with those last 2 paragraphs.
LB in the draft, NT and WR in FA or via trade.

As far as Marshall, I don't know man....remember that you are also moving him from Denver to South Beach...
IDK man....just takes one mistake and South Beach for a guy like that is begging for it.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

As far as Marshall, I don't know man....remember that you are also moving him from Denver to South Beach...
IDK man....just takes one mistake and South Beach for a guy like that is begging for it.

Well, it's like this...they bring him in, give him a contract that includes somethign along the lines of incentives and stuff if he misbehaves...he screws up he's done playing and they don't have to pay him as much...he doesn't screw up and this offense becomes dynamite.
Risk/Reward my friend.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:03 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Maybe all he needs is a little money to make him happy. I am sure he is underpaid right now for his talent ability.

If Parcells swings a deal for him I would not have any problems with it. He controlled Terrell Owens better than anyone else has.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Maybe all he needs is a little money to make him happy. I am sure he is underpaid right now for his talent ability.

If Parcells swings a deal for him I would not have any problems with it. He controlled Terrell Owens better than anyone else has.

Yeah, but he was the coach. It'll be up to Sparano to keep the guy under control.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:08 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Is there a lot of talent at the Shrine Bowl? I don't even recognize the quarterbacks. BTW, the game is this weekend.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Is there a lot of talent at the Shrine Bowl? I don't even recognize the quarterbacks. BTW, the game is this weekend.

You don't know Max Hall and Daryll Clark? Andrew Quarless, TE from PSU, is a guy I'd like to see Miami take a close look at.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 pm

Big Dave wrote:

It's not the Senior Bowl, but there are some good 3rd and 4th round caliber players to look for. But you're right I don't recognize many of the names either.

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Well, it's like this...they bring him in, give him a contract that includes somethign along the lines of incentives and stuff if he misbehaves...he screws up he's done playing and they don't have to pay him as much...he doesn't screw up and this offense becomes dynamite.
Risk/Reward my friend.

Fine, but what kind of message does it send to the players? Hey, we don't want any trouble makers......unless they're really good players, then the hell with it.....?

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

WR Freddie Barnes will be on hand.....

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:39 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Quote:
In April 2009, 90 percent of players from the 84th East-West Shrine Game (played on Jan. 17, 2009) were either drafted or signed as free agents by NFL clubs. A total of 307 East-West Shrine Game alumni were on 2009 NFL opening-day rosters.

Rosters here:

http://www.shrinegame.com/

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:41 pm
Profile YIM

The Hen wrote:
WR Freddie Barnes will be on hand.....

My boy Mike McLaughlin will be too.....Next Zach Thomas...except not as good. Lol

So will Greg Hardy...great pass rusher out of Ole Miss.

As will Stevenson Sylvester.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

It's not the Senior Bowl, but there are some good 3rd and 4th round caliber players to look for. But you're right I don't recognize many of the names either.

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Risk/Reward my friend.

Fine, but what kind of message does it send to the players? Hey, we don't want any trouble makers......unless they're really good players, then the hell with it.....?

No, we don't any trouble makers...if you screw up, you're out. Just because they sign a guy that has had some trouble suddenly that means they think everyone can misbehave? If you're a player that believes that, you can probably just go home.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:51 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I think Sparano is a no nonsense guy who won't shy away from benching or even cutting someone .. he did it with soliai and with porter

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:00 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

The thing about Tony Sparano is he handles things behind the scene and he get's his point across to his players. Just ask Joey Porter and Paul Soliai. Tony takes no BS, but he handles things much differently than Josh McDaniel.

You can put together a contract for Brandon with provision for his behavior, or lack there of. Be and ass, you lose money or the chance to meet certain incentives.

What we know about Brandon Marshall is that he is a 6'4, 230 lbs play making WR that is only 25 years old. He certainly could be a HUGE asset for Chad Henne.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:15 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
The thing about Tony Sparano is he handles things behind the scene and he get's his point across to his players. Just ask Joey Porter and Paul Soliai. Tony takes no BS, but he handles things much differently than Josh McDaniel.

You can put together a contract for Brandon with provision for his behavior, or lack there of. Be and ass, you lose money or the chance to meet certain incentives.

What we know about Brandon Marshall is that he is a 6'4, 230 lbs play making WR that is only 25 years old. He certainly could be a HUGE asset for Chad Henne.

First of all, get your facts straight....he's 6'5, not 6'4. :ann0y:

No but seriously, I agree with what all of you guys are saying. I'm just concerned is all. I'd be VERY cautious if I were BP and co.

With our run game, Marshall in Miami = 1400+ yards and 12+ TD's perennially.

Period.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:35 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

I'm drinkin the kool-aid!

Oh it's already been drunken!

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:37 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:

Period.

uh-oh .. he's dustin it off

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:40 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Wasn't there a lot of blabbing that Vontae Davis was going to fall because he couldn't be controlled?

Last time I checked, he didn't get into any trouble this year...

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:09 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Brandon Marshall would be a coup if the price is right. McDaniels is an idiot. Yes he looked smart for trading Cutler but I think you need to evaluate that trade in a couple of years. Orton doesn't have the goods to go the distance. McDaniels fires Nolan after turning that chicken outfit into a respectable defense...his ego might rival Darth Belichick.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

I'm all for signing Brandon Marshall if he becomes available. If Tuna Co sign him it means they can keep him focused. It's nice having a management team that gets it right.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

the one player I'd like to see is Ali Villanueva out of Army he switched from left tackle to receiver this year and had 34 receptions 522 yards 15.4 avg 5 touchdowns. His height is between 6'10 and 6'11 285lbs.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:00 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:

I'm not sure that Terrell Owens is the best example - he only had an ego and a mouth - Marshall has an ego, a mouth and all sorts of legal problems. His off the field behavior is almost everything you've never wanted in a player. Marshall is much more of a time-bomb than T.O. ever was, imo... and I don't think even the Tuner will be able to keep Marshall from doing whatever it is he wants to do.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:59 am
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Risk/Reward my friend.

You're assuming he would accept that contract with those incentives. There will be other teams who will just give him a straightforward offer.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:53 am

IamPZ wrote:
Wasn't there a lot of blabbing that Vontae Davis was going to fall because he couldn't be controlled?

The only trouble he got into was getting burned deep often.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:55 am

GERIDROPA wrote:
I'm not sure that Terrell Owens is the best example - he only had an ego and a mouth - Marshall has an ego, a mouth and all sorts of legal problems. His off the field behavior is almost everything you've never wanted in a player. Marshall is much more of a time-bomb than T.O. ever was, imo... and I don't think even the Tuner will be able to keep Marshall from doing whatever it is he wants to do.

Exactly right.

Quote:
Legal trouble
According to Orlando-Orange County public records (case 48-2004-MM-012392-O), on Halloween 2004, while a student at UCF, Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, refusal to obey, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer.[52]

On January 1, 2007, Marshall was present at "The Shelter," a nightclub in Denver, Colorado, along with teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams. The trio was attending a birthday party held for and by Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. As the players were leaving the club in a limousine, Williams was fatally shot in the neck after an unknown assailant opened fire on the vehicle. Willie Clark was later charged with the murder.[53] Walker has stated in interviews that the shooter was likely a nightclub patron whose motive was retaliation after being involved in an altercation with Marshall's cousin earlier that night.[54]

On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house.[55] Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.[56]

In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol.[57] A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired.[58] He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.

On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance.[59] The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.[58]

According to an article published in the Rocky Mountain News on July 28, 2008, Douglas County deputies fielded "about 11" calls to Marshall's home since January 2006. The article stated that one call resulted in Marshall being arrested (the March 26, 2007 domestic dispute), and some did not involve him at all.[60]

A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond.[61] The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court.[62] On August 14, 2009, a jury in Atlanta found Marshall not guilty.[63]

On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond.[64] The charges were dropped the following day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Ma ... al_trouble

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:58 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

joeschmoe wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Period.

uh-oh .. he's dustin it off

:)

This is how I like to "dust off" a point ....

:jests:

Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:09 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

The only trouble he got into was getting burned deep often.

Well that's a different argument :grin:

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:29 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Quote:
On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change

Oh forget this guy, he is obviously a loose cannon :fart:

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:34 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Am I missing something here? What does the fact that Parcells and Marshall are at the same practices have to do with Marshall coming to the Phins?

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:44 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dolfanrar wrote:
Am I missing something here? What does the fact that Parcells and Marshall are at the same practices have to do with Marshall coming to the Phins?

c'mon man, it's the offseason, we're just getting warmed up!

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:45 am

10acjed wrote:
Quote:
On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change

Oh forget this guy, he is obviously a loose cannon :fart:

I guess you're ok with several incidents of domestic violence.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:02 am
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

I beat my wife... what's wrong with that?

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:06 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Ski... let's keep those comments out of here please... "family friendly forum"

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:38 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think our team HAS to make a play for Marshall or Boldin this offseason. A real threat at wideout is clearly the biggest need on offense for the Phins. While Boldin is the player I like better, I'd actually prefer to see us pursue Marshall. They both have negatives... Anquan has had an extensive list of injuries while Marshall has had an extensive list of legal troubles. ...And they both have obvious playmaking positive abilities too.
The fact that Marshall is younger and presumably has more games left in his gas tank certainly factors into the equation.
The fact that Boldin would likely be a better leader in an already young offense factors in too.

All things considered, I'd love to see either player in our colors, but my preference would be Marshall over Boldin. Attitudes can change while age and more importantly injury history cannot. I also believe that talent is more important than leadership in this stage of our rebuild.

If we are unable to land one of those guys, I'd like to see us nab a realistically available receiver from the next tier down along the lines of Malcolm Floyd. (i do not consider Vincent Jackson to be a tier down or realistically available... regardless of current contract status, he's not going anywhere)

We have plenty of young raw receivers with potential to develop. Please Tuna, go get us one that can already play.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Risk/Reward my friend.

You're assuming he would accept that contract with those incentives. There will be other teams who will just give him a straightforward offer.

You're assuming there will be plenty of teams that will give him a contract without those incentives.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Iowafin wrote:
You're assuming there will be plenty of teams that will give him a contract without those incentives.

There will be.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:58 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

There will be.

I agree.

He's too talented for most coaches/GMs to not roll the dice on.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

There will be.

Well if that team is dumb enough to not include some sort of deal that doesn't protect them against his shinanigans, then that's their own problem. Regardless, assuming he'd take Miami's deal with those sorts of incentives isn't too far fetched, and if he doesn't want it, big deal. I'm just saying that Phins Rock's dilemma about his past and whether or not to take him can be resolved with a contract that protects the Dolphins.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next