View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:12 am



Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 First Move the Dolphins Should Make 
Author Message
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21584
Location: Miami, FL
Post First Move the Dolphins Should Make
With about $112 million in contracts for 2014 and a salary cap of $126 million, plus a cap rollover of about $15 million, the Dolphins will have roughly $29 million in cap space going into free agency.

Here is the first move the Dolphins need to make.

Dmitri Patterson managed to play in only 6 games last season and start in only 4. For his limited playing time, he made $4.6 million. This season, he is projected to have a base salary of $5.4 million.

I know Patterson made a lot of plays in his limited playing time, but that is too much for a guy who can't stay healthy. And given the emergence of Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson, as well as the potential of Jamar Taylor and Will Davis, it may be time to part ways and use some of that added cap space to resign Brent Grimes.

I like Patterson and would be willing to give him the opportunity to demonstrate he is healthy and restructure, but that cap number is too big and we don't take a cap hit for releasing him.

It would be the first thing I would do if I were Dennis Hickey.

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:00 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8931
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Another person the Dolphins may consider cutting is Matt Moore. The Dolphins will save $4 million cutting him. The Dolphins are only spending $9 million on the QB position in 2014, but what the Dolphins do need is a young backup quarterback that is selected possibly in round 3 next year. That would give Tannehill competition.

Do you roll the dice on a backup quarterback?

http://overthecap.com/potential-2014-salary-cap-cuts/

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8931
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Here are the list of Miami Dolphin free agents from PFF.

Image

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -dolphins/

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 781
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Rich wrote:
With about $112 million in contracts for 2014 and a salary cap of $126 million, plus a cap rollover of about $15 million, the Dolphins will have roughly $29 million in cap space going into free agency.

Here is the first move the Dolphins need to make.

Dmitri Patterson managed to play in only 6 games last season and start in only 4. For his limited playing time, he made $4.6 million. This season, he is projected to have a base salary of $5.4 million.

I know Patterson made a lot of plays in his limited playing time, but that is too much for a guy who can't stay healthy. And given the emergence of Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson, as well as the potential of Jamar Taylor and Will Davis, it may be time to part ways and use some of that added cap space to resign Brent Grimes.

I like Patterson and would be willing to give him the opportunity to demonstrate he is healthy and restructure, but that cap number is too big and we don't take a cap hit for releasing him.

It would be the first thing I would do if I were Dennis Hickey.



A healthy Patterson is a top 10 CB in this league but I agree he is not worth the money if he's on the sideline. I hope he restructures because when we had him and Grimes on the field at the same time it instantly made our D better.


Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:37 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6290
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
get rid of Watkins and Jerry


Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:52 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21584
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
swerve13 wrote:
get rid of Watkins and Jerry


Pretty sure they are free agents...

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:57 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am
Posts: 1316
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
The first thing I would do is re-sign Grimes so he doesn't have a chance to hear other offers.

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:34 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
I'd keep him until camp and then reevaluate. If you spend enough in free agency that you need the 5 million in cap room, you've overspent.

No way am I cutting Matt Moore by the way. What benefit does that have? Who replaces him? A Free agent that costs close to as much, or a draft pick that you're now counting on to be the back-up in 2014?


Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:06 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21584
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Phins Rock wrote:
I'd keep him until camp and then reevaluate. If you spend enough in free agency that you need the 5 million in cap room, you've overspent.

No way am I cutting Matt Moore by the way. What benefit does that have? Who replaces him? A Free agent that costs close to as much, or a draft pick that you're now counting on to be the back-up in 2014?


A lot of that $29 million will be spent on resigning Brent Grimes and either Paul Soliai or Randy Starks (or it's a longshot, but maybe both). You also have to consider either resigning or replacing Chris Clemons and maybe Nolan Carroll.

On top of that, you have four offensive line positions to fill, some of those will need to come from free agency.

The cap space could get eaten up quickly and you have to leave enough for the draft.

Sorry, but you can't have a guy who plays less than half a season sitting there eaten up $5 million of cap space.

They better be looking at lowering that number one way or another.

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:17 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 141
Location: Pennsyltucky
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
I'm ok with cutting Patterson if you can resign Grimes AND Carroll.


Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:53 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
I'd keep him until camp and then reevaluate. If you spend enough in free agency that you need the 5 million in cap room, you've overspent.

No way am I cutting Matt Moore by the way. What benefit does that have? Who replaces him? A Free agent that costs close to as much, or a draft pick that you're now counting on to be the back-up in 2014?


A lot of that $29 million will be spent on resigning Brent Grimes and either Paul Soliai or Randy Starks (or it's a longshot, but maybe both). You also have to consider either resigning or replacing Chris Clemons and maybe Nolan Carroll.

On top of that, you have four offensive line positions to fill, some of those will need to come from free agency.

The cap space could get eaten up quickly and you have to leave enough for the draft.

Sorry, but you can't have a guy who plays less than half a season sitting there eaten up $5 million of cap space.

They better be looking at lowering that number one way or another.


You can cut Patterson in camp and it's no different then cutting him now, financially. His contract is just game checks.

Last year Miami spent a massive amount on several free agents, including their own guys, and the 2013 cap number for them was 28 million.

I can't see spending close to the money they spent last off season, even with Soliai/Grimes needing a lot to bring back.

To me, if you're sitting there in March saying, "we don't have enough cap room to sign this guy, we need to cut Patterson"…then you've spent way too much.


Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:54 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21584
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Phins Rock wrote:
You can cut Patterson in camp and it's no different then cutting him now, financially. His contract is just game checks.


It makes absolutely zero sense to tie up $5.4 million in cap space on a guy who can't even play half a season when that money can be spent to address bigger needs with players that will actually get on the field.

It's like paying for a car that barely starts half the time when you can get rid of the debt and purchase a car that will start most of the time.

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:27 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
You can cut Patterson in camp and it's no different then cutting him now, financially. His contract is just game checks.


It makes absolutely zero sense to tie up $5.4 million in cap space on a guy who can't even play half a season when that money can be spent to address bigger needs with players that will actually get on the field.

It's like paying for a car that barely starts half the time when you can get rid of the debt and purchase a car that will start most of the time.


More like you have a certain amount in the bank, and you're going to sell that car because you've maxed out our credit cards and have nothing left in your savings account after trying to buy too much. The pos car will have the same exact trade-in value in August.

If you need that 5 mil because you're that close to the cap, you've overspent. They have 30 million in cap room. If they use it all, or even close, after what they spent last off season, shame on them.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:05 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21584
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Phins Rock wrote:
If you need that 5 mil because you're that close to the cap, you've overspent.


You need that $5 million because it is good to have cap flexibility early in free agency, not later on when all the talent has dried up.

They can afford to dip into free agency again, not like last year but still be a player, because of their cap situation going forward and if the right talent is available you want the flexibility to acquire it, not have it tied up on a guy who's pipi keeps breaking....

My analogy was better and it wasn't even a good one...

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3875
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Would be a huge mistake to let Grimes walk. I hope they're in talks with him as we speak.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:17 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8931
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
If you need that 5 mil because you're that close to the cap, you've overspent.


You need that $5 million because it is good to have cap flexibility early in free agency, not later on when all the talent has dried up.


Yep, cut him loose.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:00 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
If you really need the cap room, then just restructure Mike Wallace. He has a huge base salary this year. If you want to save 5 million, then turn 5-6 million of that base into a signing bonus. He gets the same amount of cash, and you'll save 2014 cap room.

Again though, they won't need the cap room. 29 million is plenty of flexibility already. Between free agents AND rookies (including a #3 pick and an extra day 2 pick they don't have this year), they spent 34 million in 2013 cap room. If you cut Patteron because you need the 5 million in cap, you'll have spent the same amount as last year, 34 million.

That would be beyond irresponsible. Especially with some of the Free Agents they have coming up next year, (Odrick, Pouncey, Clay)….And then potentially looking at paying Tannehill big money in 2016.

We'll stop going back and forth because it's useless, but to me there's no point in cutting Dimitri now. You won't need to and it shouldn't hamper your ability to do anything you want to do. If the injuries persist in camp, you can cut him in August and save the same amount of cash (and future cap since it rolls over) as cutting him now.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8931
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Phins Rock wrote:
We'll stop going back and forth because it's useless


It always depends on who wants to have the last word around here. Let's be honest ... does anyone really ever remember who has the last word?

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Big Dave wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
We'll stop going back and forth because it's useless


It always depends on who wants to have the last word around here. Let's be honest ... does anyone really ever remember who has the last word?


Ha. I opened it up for Rich to respond one last time and get the last word in, since I know he'd find a way to do so regardless. :ann0y:


Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:30 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2436
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Phins Rock wrote:
You can cut Patterson in camp and it's no different then cutting him now, financially. His contract is just game checks.


The difference is that you don't free up cap space to sign other guys. I see your point in the rest of the post, so I guess it makes a difference depending on how they attack FA. With a new GM, he could be looking to make a big difference quickly.

I agree with the comments: #1 priority is signing Grimes, then Solai and/or Starks. Then maybe, hopefully, a solid OL.

I am hoping that we have the OL sorted by the time Tannehill retires.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21584
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Phins Rock wrote:
If you really need the cap room, then just restructure Mike Wallace. He has a huge base salary this year. If you want to save 5 million, then turn 5-6 million of that base into a signing bonus. He gets the same amount of cash, and you'll save 2014 cap room.


1. Mike Wallace would need to agree to the change, Patterson wouldn't
2. You have to look at the repercussions past 2014 before you do that

Seems easier to just cut a guy who can't get on the field...

Maybe we can continue down the pipe dream path and ask everyone on the team to take a paycut...

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:08 pm
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8931
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
If the Dolphins are going to part with Patterson, he classy thing would be to drop him in time for him to be a part of free agency ... not when most of the money has been spent.

So, why do you want to keep him around? I understand that he is a big playmaker, but he stays hurt unfortunately.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
If you really need the cap room, then just restructure Mike Wallace. He has a huge base salary this year. If you want to save 5 million, then turn 5-6 million of that base into a signing bonus. He gets the same amount of cash, and you'll save 2014 cap room.


1. Mike Wallace would need to agree to the change, Patterson wouldn't
2. You have to look at the repercussions past 2014 before you do that

Seems easier to just cut a guy who can't get on the field...

Maybe we can continue down the pipe dream path and ask everyone on the team to take a paycut...


If you read what I wrote, you'd see that I explained why the cash would be the same for Wallace. He wouldn't be taking a paycut. He'd get the same amount in 2014 and beyond.

If anything it benefits him because it gives him more safety moving forward given that Miami would be taking bigger cap hits to release him early.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:21 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Big Dave wrote:
If the Dolphins are going to part with Patterson, he classy thing would be to drop him in time for him to be a part of free agency ... not when most of the money has been spent.

So, why do you want to keep him around? I understand that he is a big playmaker, but he stays hurt unfortunately.

Because it makes no difference financially unless you need the cap room in March.

Miami doesn't owe him a dime. If he struggles in camp, fine; Cut him and get that 5 million back for 2015's cap.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:22 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1239
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
First move the Dolphins need to make is for Ross to sell the team

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:39 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm
Posts: 273
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Ask him to take a pay cut at like 2 million and if he doesnt then he can go test free agency and see if that gives him more than 2 million cuz i dont think too many other teams will pay more than that for a guy who hasnt played more than one full season since he came into the league and he didnt even start.
Give Grimes a pay day, resign Clemons and Soliai. The rest can walk.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:53 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm
Posts: 273
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
I looked at the free agents out there and there seems to be a lot of talent at center if we want. Dela Puente, Goodwin, Mack...do we move Pouncey to a guard? That would make sense to me. Go get a center instead of a crap guard. Beadles, Rinehart and Pollack would be decent signings if they arent resigned by their current teams. Then Jared Veldheer would be worth money if Albert is outpriced. David Diehl can play anywhere.
Get one or two of those guys, then draft a guy like Taylor Lewan with our first pick. Could have an oline like: Veldheer, Pouncey, Goodwin/Mack, Beadles/Rinehart, Lewan..not bad.

Then Id draft Hyde from OSU at running back Wilder from FSU. Both big, fast guys that ran in a spread so might be good at pass blocking?


Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:07 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm
Posts: 273
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
What do we do with Dustin Keller? He was good until the knee, and Clay played very well.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:10 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2436
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Manhattan wrote:
What do we do with Dustin Keller? He was good until the knee, and Clay played very well.


If he comes back cheap, then consider him. But he's coming off his 2nd major knee injury. He won't gather much interest or salary and should not be relied upon.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:39 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5838
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Manhattan wrote:
I looked at the free agents out there and there seems to be a lot of talent at center if we want. Dela Puente, Goodwin, Mack...do we move Pouncey to a guard? That would make sense to me. Go get a center instead of a crap guard. Beadles, Rinehart and Pollack would be decent signings if they arent resigned by their current teams. Then Jared Veldheer would be worth money if Albert is outpriced. David Diehl can play anywhere.
Get one or two of those guys, then draft a guy like Taylor Lewan with our first pick. Could have an oline like: Veldheer, Pouncey, Goodwin/Mack, Beadles/Rinehart, Lewan..not bad.

Then Id draft Hyde from OSU at running back Wilder from FSU. Both big, fast guys that ran in a spread so might be good at pass blocking?


Pro Bowl caliber centers aren't easy to find.

There will be a lot of teams in the bidding for FA linemen so I'm not sure Miami will go all out. They still have to consider bringing back some big contracts in Soliai, Grimes and maybe Clemons.

I think its more likely they re-sign McKinnie, draft two OTs, sign an OG and draft one, and finally see if Dallas Thomas is worth keeping.

We still don't know who will get cut. That is pretty much how they found Grimes and Clabo.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:08 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21584
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
If you really need the cap room, then just restructure Mike Wallace. He has a huge base salary this year. If you want to save 5 million, then turn 5-6 million of that base into a signing bonus. He gets the same amount of cash, and you'll save 2014 cap room.


1. Mike Wallace would need to agree to the change, Patterson wouldn't
2. You have to look at the repercussions past 2014 before you do that

Seems easier to just cut a guy who can't get on the field...

Maybe we can continue down the pipe dream path and ask everyone on the team to take a paycut...


If you read what I wrote, you'd see that I explained why the cash would be the same for Wallace. He wouldn't be taking a paycut. He'd get the same amount in 2014 and beyond.

If anything it benefits him because it gives him more safety moving forward given that Miami would be taking bigger cap hits to release him early.

I read what you wrote. If you read what I wrote you would see I directly addressed the drawback of what you wrote.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:22 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
You said it was a pipe dream that he would take the suggested pay cut, which is incorrect. No pay cut needed.


Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:36 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21584
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Phins Rock wrote:
You said it was a pipe dream that he would take the suggested pay cut, which is incorrect. No pay cut needed.


If you read what I wrote, I never said that you were suggesting that Wallace take a paycut. My later comment was separate from that.

I called it a pipe dream because you make it sound as if it's just a matter of snapping your fingers and it is done. So I am being as exaggerative as you.

The Dolphins would want to have to defer additional money over the life of the contract. You would be adding more to his deferred bonus over the life of the contract making it more difficult to get rid of his contract later on if he continues to be an overpaid one trick pony.


So it isn't as simple as clearing up $5.4 million in cap space, with no dead cap, by cutting a player who barely gets on the field.

I'd rather get the quick hit. We have plenty of other cornerbacks. Two young players and Jimmy Wilson plus we can resign an improving Nolan Carroll at a lesser rate.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:45 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3090
Location: MA.
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
it was basically the same circumstances last off season and they chose to keep him and see if he could make the team..

he will be a patriot or jet for less money if we let him go early..that would be a road block.


Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:51 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4579
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
degs wrote:
Manhattan wrote:
What do we do with Dustin Keller? He was good until the knee, and Clay played very well.


If he comes back cheap, then consider him. But he's coming off his 2nd major knee injury. He won't gather much interest or salary and should not be relied upon.


If he is a guy Philbin wanted then I assume he signs a incentive based deal with min salary, and we should not have any real competition with him. Based on his history I cant see teams really wanting to invest in him without seeing him in live action.

I cant help but assume Keller would have had a monster year based on the production we got out of Clay. I wouldnt be upset if we gave him another chance, however I think we need a backup plan other than Egnew and Simms.. Simms seemed like he had potential, then pretty much disappeared.

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:09 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Code:
*Sorry JP, I accidentally deleted this post. I thought I was replying to it. Doh! *

Dave


Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:28 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8931
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Phins Rock wrote:
How do we have depth at CB? Our two starters are FA's, one of them being average at best anyway, and all that's behind that are two rookies who didn't see the field last season and Jimmy Wilson who has entered camp as a safety the last 3 years, only to be moved to nickel CB out of necessity. And you want to cut Patterson on top of that.

You'd be heading into the Off Season with extremely little at the position. Even if you bring Grimes and NC back you'll have to make a move.


Based on his 10 year career stats, he only played a full season in 2010. Yeah. Let's keep him around;)

Image

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21584
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Phins Rock wrote:
How do we have depth at CB? Our two starters are FA's, one of them being average at best anyway, and all that's behind that are two rookies who didn't see the field last season and Jimmy Wilson who has entered camp as a safety the last 3 years, only to be moved to nickel CB out of necessity. And you want to cut Patterson on top of that.

You'd be heading into the Off Season with extremely little at the position. Even if you bring Grimes and NC back you'll have to make a move.


Um.... we just went over half the season without Patterson on the field and our secondary played the best it has in year. Again.... for those hard of thinking... WITHOUT DMITRI PATTERSON.

The only thing that needs fixing on defense is the run defense.

And like I said and I guess you didn't read *AGAIN*, we can bring Carroll back for less and he started to emerge this season.

Life is simple, Phins Rock. So I will make it simple for you.

Our secondary played well while paying a guy almost $5 million to rehab his broken pipi.

Now we are going to pay him more even though we don't need him.

This is a no brainer.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:57 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21584
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Big Dave wrote:
Based on his 10 year career stats, he only played a full season in 2010. Yeah. Let's keep him around;)


You know what they say about history...

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:58 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
How do we have depth at CB? Our two starters are FA's, one of them being average at best anyway, and all that's behind that are two rookies who didn't see the field last season and Jimmy Wilson who has entered camp as a safety the last 3 years, only to be moved to nickel CB out of necessity. And you want to cut Patterson on top of that.

You'd be heading into the Off Season with extremely little at the position. Even if you bring Grimes and NC back you'll have to make a move.


Um.... we just went over half the season without Patterson on the field and our secondary played the best it has in year. Again.... for those hard of thinking... WITHOUT DMITRI PATTERSON.

The only thing that needs fixing on defense is the run defense.

And like I said and I guess you didn't read *AGAIN*, we can bring Carroll back for less and he started to emerge this season.

Life is simple, Phins Rock. So I will make it simple for you.

Our secondary played well while paying a guy almost $5 million to rehab his broken pipi.

Now we are going to pay him more even though we don't need him.

This is a no brainer.


Want to make a bet he's kept around? I'll let you name the terms. Whatever you want. Only Dave has veto power.


Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:34 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.