View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
 Five free agents Dolphins should consider 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Five free agents Dolphins should consider
Quote:
1. Ben Tate, RB, Houston Texans ... can carry the load

2. Branden Albert, LT, Kansas City Chiefs ... won't come cheap in free agency.

3. Michael Oher, RT, Baltimore Ravens ... nice upgrade.

4. Jairus Byrd, S, Buffalo Bills ... He is a playmaker

5. Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, Jacksonville Jaguars ... short-term

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... d-consider

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Five free agents Dolphins should consider
I know its happened before with less than adequate results, but I'd rather Miami spend money on the o-line in free agency so they can target BPA in the draft.

The other issue is Miami has some of its own free agents they should re-sign and they won't be cheap. They also have to decide if they want to pay Matt Moore and Dmitri Patterson, although I thought someone said Patterson doesn't have any significant guarantees until the season starts.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Jarius Byrd and Brandon Albert have to be off the table. I don't see this team carrying anymore mega contracts all at once, outside of Denver, you don't see winners building their team's primarily through free agency. It would be foolish, go for the likely cheaper deal with Michael Oher if anything, and get your quality LT in the draft.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

We desperately need to upgrade the linebacker position...........Wheeler was a complete bust. Daryl Smith, ILB for the Ravens is a FA. He led the Ravens with 123 tackles, and he also had five sacks and three interceptions. He finished second on the team with 19 pass deflections. He will be 32 in March so it's not a long-term fix.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I wouldn't label Wheeler as a busted signing yet, I mean obviously we all know he didn't play well this year but I don't think the coaching staff has lost faith in him nor do I think he has lost faith in himself. With a bad year like he had it really leaves a lot of for improvement. And I think we will see that in the near future.

But really it's up to what the new GM wants to do. If we can get a nice deal for him that would save our buts from looking like fools for signing him for the big bucks, then there is always the chance we take it.

I guess the question as far as line goes is would we rather have someone who is already NFL experienced? I mean, I figure either way we are drafting a lineman, but I don't know whether we draft 1 and sign a few FAs or sign a FA and draft a few linemen.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Wasn't Moore signed to a 2 year contract in the offseason...?
And doesn't Patterson still have a year left?
Oher was constantly penalized in the handful of games that I watched. Not sure if it was just coincidence, but just saying... not my top choice

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:53 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

One thing i hated woth ireland was his consistant lack of plugging very huge holes. In 2008 we had no recievers, 2009 no corners, 2010 no tight end or deepthreat, 2011 it was pass rushers, 2012 oline, 2013 oline...whiever the new guy is, i dont need big names, just guys who can be serviceable and not terrible at every position.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dan Carpenter's a free agent.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Jarius Byrd and Brandon Albert have to be off the table. I don't see this team carrying anymore mega contracts all at once, outside of Denver, you don't see winners building their team's primarily through free agency. It would be foolish, go for the likely cheaper deal with Michael Oher if anything, and get your quality LT in the draft.

I don't think they target Byrd. Probably try to bring back Clemons.

Albert is one of the better left tackles in the game so I'd be hoping they give it a shot. Some of the bad contracts Miami signed this past offseason can be undone after 2014 so getting Albert may not be as bad as you think. However, his services will be coveted by several teams.

My only concern with drafting the next left tackle is that you're uncertain if the guy can do it right away. I believe the top three tackles drafted last year all played right tackle as rookies. There are going to be some good DT and TE options at 19 so I'd like to see flexibility to get BPA.

You could always re-sign McKinnie but have to realize its a 1 year fix.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

why is albert commanding all this money again?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:18 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Ben Tate is an excellent pure runner. As a runner, I think he is as good as anyone in the NFL.

But his pass protection is suspect, and that is the main problem with the guys we already have.

Brandon Albert was one of the top pass protectors in the NFL again this season. He gave up 4 sacks and 19 pressures all season. His run blocking could improve, but he isn't terrible at it. But that wouldn't be the main reason we would bring him in.

Michael Oher is garbage. Great back story, but he doesn't produce on the field. 8 sacks and 49 pressures allowed. He's one of the worst starting tackles in the NFL. In the long run, Tyson Clabo actually graded out much better than Oher.

Jarius Byrd is an elite safety and a playmaker. But Clemons is no slouch. He's not a playmaker, but is a solid safety, especially against the pass. We have bigger needs.

MJD is a really good pass protector, but has lost a step as a runner. He'd make a good third down back at this point as he can still catch.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:25 am

Kev1321 wrote:

Because he is a top 10 pass protector.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:26 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Number 1 should be Brent Grimes.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:59 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

top 10 pass blocking and not a very good run blocker with some wear....not worth over spending on him...i didn't realize he graded that good..i do know kc's oline was at the bottom of the league.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:

priority should be sign one of the defensive tackles or grimes so you have the tag for the guy you can't work out a deal for

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:

priority should be sign one of the defensive tackles or grimes so you have the tag for the guy you can't work out a deal for

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Kev1321 wrote:
top 10 pass blocking and not a very good run blocker with some wear....

Ranked 19th amongst left tackles in run blocking and 31st overall out of 56 players, so he is middle of the road.

But in pass blocking, he is ranked 4th overall, 10th in sacks allowed, 1st in hurries allowed and 2nd in total pressures (sacks, hits, hurries) allowed.

He's an elite pass blocker.

Quote:
not worth over spending on him...

More worth it than Michael Oher. We'll see what price the market sets.

Quote:
i didn't realize he graded that good..i do know kc's oline was at the bottom of the league.

KC's line is ranked 16th in pass blocking, 11th in run blocking.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I like the idea of Albert because it solves a huge hole and provides some flexibility for the draft. Miami went into this year with a question mark at left tackle and I'd prefer to avoid that approach again.

Signing him doesn't mean you avoid o-line with the 19th pick (could go the Alabama guy and play him at RT or Zack Martin and play him at RT or OG).

Don't forget that Miami can get rid of Wheeler's contract next year so it's not like signing Albert will limit the purse for years to come.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:49 pm

jammer wrote:
Don't forget that Miami can get rid of Wheeler's contract next year so it's not like signing Albert will limit the purse for years to come.

Getting rid of Wheeler may not save much money in 2015.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

Do you have the numbers on that by chance?

I actually read today (think it was Salguero) that some of the GM interviewees actually said one of Wheeler or Ellerbe needs to be released.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:28 pm

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

Do you have the numbers on that by chance?

I actually read today (think it was Salguero) that some of the GM interviewees actually said one of Wheeler or Ellerbe needs to be released.

We would save $200K if we release Wheeler before June 1st, 2015.

After, I am not sure. We'd save more, but I do not know the breakdown and the hit would spread over two seasons.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Again, it is all going to depend on the new GM. I really don't see it happening. Oh and off topic, Mike Zimmer was reading off a card today while giving his speech. Guess he has the same traits as Philbin, might as well call him worthless now! :ann0y:

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:28 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Kev1321 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

top 10 pass blocking and not a very good run blocker with some wear....not worth over spending on him...i didn't realize he graded that good..i do know kc's oline was at the bottom of the league.

Kansas City OL ranked 14th in the NFL and ranked 10th in rushing averaging over 128 yards per game. They gave up 41 sacks for the year with a rookie ORT. Albert only gave up 4 of those sacks.

Miami should have pulled the trigger on the trade in the draft last year for the 2nd round pick, but Ireland did not pull the trigger.

Don't know if the Dolphins will pursue Albert, but the OL better be PRIORITY #1.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just for the record..That was a 2nd round pick and a big fat contract that would have made him about 11 million a year..

That's a fine line in value.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:03 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
Just for the record..That was a 2nd round pick and a big fat contract that would have made him about 11 million a year..

If the rumors are true that Miami would have targeted Tyler Eifert if they couldn't trade up then you'd either have:

A. Dion Jordan and far more cap room

B. Brandon Albert and Tyler Eifert

In hindsight you'd obviously say B. is the better option. But back in April people still thought Martin might develop, Vernon was not considered starter material, and Dustin Keller was as healthy as a horse.

If Dion Jordan turns out to be a defensive nightmare for opposing offenses and Miami finds a solid LT then none of this matters long term.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't think Tyler Eifort is bad by any means, and enjoyed watching him play at ND, but I think Clay is better, and I think Keller is better. I hope we resign Keller if he shows some potential. I really think we lost a machine in him. Not only for catching passes and having big play ability, but also his blocking.

I really want Dion Jordan to be an every down OLB. We just completed another interview for GM with the Player Personnel Director from TB. Not sure how I feel about that.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:59 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Or...

If Miami just kept the picks the following guys were also available between the 2nd rounder they gave Oakland and when they picked Jamar Taylor:

Menelik Watson
Johnthan Banks
Kawann Short
Kevin Minter
Kiko Alonso
Gavin Escobar
Le'veon Bell
Johnathan Hankins
Jonathan Bostic
David Amerson
Jamie Collins
Margus Hunt

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

DanRambo wrote:
I don't think Tyler Eifort is bad by any means, and enjoyed watching him play at ND, but I think Clay is better, and I think Keller is better. I hope we resign Keller if he shows some potential. I really think we lost a machine in him. Not only for catching passes and having big play ability, but also his blocking.

I really want Dion Jordan to be an every down OLB. We just completed another interview for GM with the Player Personnel Director from TB. Not sure how I feel about that.

That knee injury is pretty devastating. Didn't think his blocking was anything special, at least from what I read.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
DanRambo wrote:

That knee injury is pretty devastating. Didn't think his blocking was anything special, at least from what I read.

Yeah it's nothing to write home about, but is a significant improvement from Clay or what ever the heck Engew does out there. Talk about a wasted pick. Michael Egnew.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I almost forgot about Dion Sims though....guess we are done with Keller. :cry: Oh well, Clay has proven he can handle. Something he doesn't get credit for is his huge improvement in catching the ball. 2 years ago he bobbled and dropped way too many passes.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:14 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Kev1321 wrote:

I don't think that contract would have approached 11 mill/per year. And you are going to have to pay very good to elite OLT, and that the way it is.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Kev1321 wrote:
and a big fat contract that would have made him about 11 million a year..

We don't know this.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

DanRambo wrote:
I almost forgot about Dion Sims though....guess we are done with Keller. :cry: Oh well, Clay has proven he can handle. Something he doesn't get credit for is his huge improvement in catching the ball. 2 years ago he bobbled and dropped way too many passes.

I said at the start of last year I would love for Egnew and Sims to be a poor man's combo of Hernandez and Gronk (minus the murders and injuries). Egnew definitely improved but I doubt it will be enough to crack the starting lineup. As for Sims as a good blocking TE, well its possible.

The three TE's in the draft I've heard people rave about are Ebron, Amaro and Niklas.

I've also heard the dot connectors point to Brent Celek if he's a cap casualty in Philadelphia.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:24 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
and a big fat contract that would have made him about 11 million a year..

We don't know this.

That`s what a broken down Jake Long got..And a few others get. He would have been at the top of the food chain and had leverage for a contract.. That we do know.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:18 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Jake Long has made his decision. And the St. Louis Rams have a new left tackle.
Free-agent tracker
Where will Brent Grimes wind up? Follow him and all the other NFL players on the move in our free-agent tracker. More...

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported late Sunday night that Long and the Rams have agreed to a new deal, according to a club source. The contract is for four years and $34 million, with incentives that might push it to $36 million, according to the source. Breer also reports that $16 million is guaranteed at signing, with another $4 million guaranteed if he is on the roster at the start of the 2014 league year.

That the Jake Long contract, and that not 11 mill/per year. Considering were Jake was from a health standpoint, it more than Miami wanted to pay, although they were close.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

11 million was his 2012 pay...Didn't see it was 2012

Quote:
1. Jake Long, Dolphins – $11,200,000
2. Trent Williams, Redskins – $11,000,000
3. Joe Thomas, Browns – $10,500,000
4. Jason Smith, Rams – $10,000,000
5. Jordan Gross, Panthers – $9,500,000

Anyway the top gets this now. And surely you don't think Albert was gonna come here via trade without a new contract and big raise? So it was a second and a boat load of money.

And when he did it was gonna be with a raise over last years 10 million....I think you are looking at 13 to 14 million per to get this guy this offseason.. Too much imo..I feel there will be better options if this is the case.

Like Solder would have been last year. If we added Clabo and Solder let them battle it out we wouldn't be having this problem, NE would.

Quote:
Lineman, team …………. 2013 payout
1. Ryan Clady, LT, Broncos …. $15 million
2. Eric Fisher, RT, Chiefs ….. $14.9 million*
3. Luke Joeckel, RT, Jaguars … $14.2 million
4. Lane Johnson, RT, Eagles …. $13.2 million*
5. Andy Levitre, LG, Titans …. $13 million
6. Jason Peters, LT, Eagles …. $10.75 million
7. Joe Thomas, LT, Browns …… $10.2 million
8. Brandon Albert, LT, Chiefs .. $9.82 million

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:17 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

No matter what, in hindsight Ireland SHOULD have signed Albert and we wouldn't still be talking about LT issues. McKinnie was a nice pick up, but Albert would have been worth the spend. You can squabble about $9 Million or $11 Million, but when the guy does his job to protect the QB, you pay him.

Now all we care about is what will this new GM do to improve our offensive line for next season.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:20 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:
No matter what, in hindsight Ireland SHOULD have signed Albert and we wouldn't still be talking about LT issues. McKinnie was a nice pick up, but Albert would have been worth the spend. You can squabble about $9 Million or $11 Million, but when the guy does his job to protect the QB, you pay him.

Now all we care about is what will this new GM do to improve our offensive line for next season.

But he is gonna cost 15 next year..

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev, I agree at some point, you have to look at the team's money and if that decision will not make sense (15 million is a jump up and a lot of money to invest in one player), especially when they do have McKinnie as a fall back and more economical option. I was really referring to last season and before the start of the year that they should have locked Albert up then and for far less than 15 Million per year and it was worth it then.

Moving forward, my hope is the new GM is SMART and figures out a way to improve the entire line as IMO besides maybe Pouncy and McKinnie, those are the only two you can have in place as a starter, the rest can be replaced and improved for sure.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:30 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:

Kev, I agree at some point, you have to look at the team's money and if that decision will not make sense (15 million is a jump up and a lot of money to invest in one player), especially when they do have McKinnie as a fall back and more economical option. I was really referring to last season and before the start of the year that they should have locked Albert up then and for far less than 15 Million per year and it was worth it then.

Moving forward, my hope is the new GM is SMART and figures out a way to improve the entire line as IMO besides maybe Pouncy and McKinnie, those are the only two you can have in place as a starter, the rest can be replaced and improved for sure.

Even last season you have to consider the price tag... A 2nd rounder plus atleast 11-12 million per. He knows what the franchise is worth and he holds the leverage.

Your not gonna give up a second and not have a multi year contract in hand. His play does not warrant that type money imo.
It was not worth the money last year and the pick. And this year at 13-15 milion per year it's still not worth it imo.

I`m not big on the penny pinching that went on last offseason.. But i think staying away from this was smart..Solis/Clabo was the move to make.

For some reason we were not signing quality backups. Even our own. AKA Fasano.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]