View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Which is more critical to address with the 1st pick? 

Which is more critical to address with the 1st pick? Offense or defense?
Poll ended at Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:04 pm
Offense - Get Henne that top flight weapon he needs so he can develop into a franchise quarterback. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Defense - Fortify the defense for years to come. 90%  90%  [ 35 ]
Total votes : 39

Which is more critical to address with the 1st pick? 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Which is more critical to address with the 1st pick?
Safety
Safety
Safety
.....and in case you forgot the 40 times our safeties got burnt in pass coverage.....SAFETY

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:34 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

NFLJunkie wrote:
Safety
Safety
Safety
.....and in case you forgot the 40 times our safeties got burnt in pass coverage.....SAFETY

LB
LB
LB
....Maybe a Safety if we are not comfortable with Clemons.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:40 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Safety
Safety
Safety

LB
LB
LB

I'm not comfortable with Clemmons yet. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing Antoine Bethea brought in :) .

ILB All the way. There are at least 5 real good ILB in this draft. IMO, McClain leads that pack. Though, I love Micah Johnson later in the draft.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:43 pm

hypocritex wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Safety
Safety
Safety

LB
LB
LB

I'm not comfortable with Clemmons yet. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing Antoine Bethea brought in :) .

ILB All the way. There are at least 5 real good ILB in this draft. IMO, McClain leads that pack. Though, I love Micah Johnson later in the draft.

Those are the 2 ILB's I want as well. In fact, I would not mind seeing us take both. Micah will take a little bit to develope into a 34 ILB, while McClain can start from Day 1.

I think Johnson could be like a Lawrence Timmons prospect, and for the now a great 3rd down LB who can run and blitz.

McClain rd. 1
Brandon Graham rd. 2 (SC's boy)
Micah Johnson rd. 3 or 4....(we'll see how much the injury hurts him as he will likely miss combine workouts.)
Maybe grab a TE in there somewhere.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah, I think Clemons can be good...not sure why he saw so little of the field even though Wilson was sucking it up...but Bell/Wilson are good for Strong Safety, Clemons and Culver at Free...and with a new D Coordinator I think we'll see that the secondary is pretty strong.
Remember when Phins Rock said that with the signing of Wilson Miami had one of the top Safety duos on the league? :)

Anyway, it's NT and Linebackers that the Dolphins need. And with Marshall on the radar in free angency...oof, I think I could be just as excited as I was before the 02 season with Ricky Williams coming to town.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Iowafin wrote:
Remember when Phins Rock said that with the signing of Wilson Miami had one of the top Safety duos on the league? :)

Period!

j/k PR....... :)

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:35 pm
Profile YIM

The Hen wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Period!

j/k PR....... :)

:ann0y:

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:41 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Lmao now that's funny.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:01 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

McClain is scary good. I mean Patrick Willis good. His combine numbers will dictate if he falls to us, but I think adding McClain, who Phins Rock pointed out could start from day 1, would make everyone around him better... especially Channing. Time (and the combine) will tell.

Clearly I voted defense.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:52 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
Calvin Johnson can't hold Marques Colston water? Please. The kid has put up numbers for the Detroit Lions while Colston plays with a great offensive team and QB in New Orleans.

Colston is a tremendous pick for the Saints in the 7th round, but trying to belittle Calvin Johnson to make a point is weak.

Tell em, Tony!!

Calvin put up 1300 yards in his second season....playing for Detroit...Had he not been hobbled by injuries this season....Well, let's just say I can't wait to see what him and Stafford can do.

We're looking at a guy who I think will go down as a top 5 WR of all time. I think he's that talented.

Megatron will not go down as a top 5 WR of all time. He's Braylon Edwards: lots of talent, early production, then it just goes downhill. Johnson has had one great year and 2 pretty good years. That's not top 5 production and I honestly think he's going down the braylon edwards path as opposed to the Larry Fitzgerald path. I think Detroit is killing his will to be great and he doesn't have the internal fortitude to be great anyway. He could be great but he is not now nor likely will be a great wr.

But if the Dolphins signed him I would be ecstatic. Colston is still vastly better.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:59 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

If I was drafting for Miami, it would look like this:

1 (12) ...Earl Thomas FS/Texas or Rolando McClain ILB/Alabama, whichever is still there (Both probably won't be available still at 12, and I saw several mocks this weekend with many of them are saying with JT's age and Porter's salary that we will take Jason Pierre-Paul OLB/USF)

2 (43) ...Nate Allen FS/USF if we didn't get Thomas, or Brandon SpikesILB/UF if we didn't get McClain. If we didn't get either Thomas or McClain, then something fell to us out of the blue, like Gerald McCoy NT/Oklahoma or some other top-ten guy that dropped.

3 (73) ...MY SLEEPER pick...Jay Ross DT/ECU (I did see a few that said Terrence Cody DT/Alabama could drop significantly. DraftAce has him as the seventh-best DT...) I know this is high for a guy from a smaller school/lesser competition, etc., but this guy can play.

If I failed miserably to get any of my desired selections, then here are a few later round guys I'd take a look at (after I pulled all my hair out).

Nate Collins DT/UVA ...6'2", 290...70 tackles(!), 9.5 TFL/5 Sacks... a bit too small, but strong as an ox and nifty feet. Maybe he could put on a few pounds? Also had a 32-yd Int TD!

Eddie Hicks FS/Southern Miss ...38 consecutive collegiate starts (!), senior year: 63 Tackles, 5 Ints and 3 PDs. Not expected to be in top five rounds, but this guy is excellent. He is thin as a reed though. Would have to bulk up a bit.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:10 am

Gentlax13 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
Calvin Johnson can't hold Marques Colston water? Please. The kid has put up numbers for the Detroit Lions while Colston plays with a great offensive team and QB in New Orleans.

Colston is a tremendous pick for the Saints in the 7th round, but trying to belittle Calvin Johnson to make a point is weak.

Tell em, Tony!!

Calvin put up 1300 yards in his second season....playing for Detroit...Had he not been hobbled by injuries this season....Well, let's just say I can't wait to see what him and Stafford can do.

We're looking at a guy who I think will go down as a top 5 WR of all time. I think he's that talented.

Megatron will not go down as a top 5 WR of all time. He's Braylon Edwards: lots of talent, early production, then it just goes downhill. Johnson has had one great year and 2 pretty good years. That's not top 5 production and I honestly think he's going down the braylon edwards path as opposed to the Larry Fitzgerald path. I think Detroit is killing his will to be great and he doesn't have the internal fortitude to be great anyway. He could be great but he is not now nor likely will be a great wr.

But if the Dolphins signed him I would be ecstatic. Colston is still vastly better.

I don't even know where to begin.....

HE'S BEEN IN THE LEAGUE FOR 3 YEARS.....AND PLAYS FOR DETROIT!!

Dude....the guy has been doubled and tripled teamed since day 1, and has had NOBODY to throw him the football, and he still puts up ridiculous numbers game after game...and so far season after season.

And what early production from Braylon Edwards??

Colston is vastly better?? I couldn't disagree more. Calvin, along with Andre, are the two most dominant receivers in football, and are the only 2 receivers in the league with the ability to beat a double team consistently.

Doesn't have the internal fortitude to be great??? That was the biggest thing about him when he came out of college...his awesome work ethic.

Sorry, but either you are thinking of the other Johnson they have at WR in Detroit, or you are just messing with us. I'm hoping it's the second one.

Calvin has been the second coming of Randy Moss.....Period. (and this time I mean it, lol).

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:

McClain rd. 1
Micah Johnson rd. 3 or 4....(we'll see how much the injury hurts him as he will likely miss combine workouts.)

I'm assuming that in this scenario you're assuming that we've already addressed WR in free agency.............?

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:01 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:

I don't even know where to begin.....

HE'S BEEN IN THE LEAGUE FOR 3 YEARS.....AND PLAYS FOR DETROIT!!

Dude....the guy has been doubled and tripled teamed since day 1, and has had NOBODY to throw him the football, and he still puts up ridiculous numbers game after game...and so far season after season.

And what early production from Braylon Edwards??

Colston is vastly better?? I couldn't disagree more. Calvin, along with Andre, are the two most dominant receivers in football, and are the only 2 receivers in the league with the ability to beat a double team consistently.

Doesn't have the internal fortitude to be great??? That was the biggest thing about him when he came out of college...his awesome work ethic.

Sorry, but either you are thinking of the other Johnson they have at WR in Detroit, or you are just messing with us. I'm hoping it's the second one.

Calvin has been the second coming of Randy Moss.....Period. (and this time I mean it, lol).

I'm not gonna touch this argument with a ten foot pole, but I will say: there are not many people alive who can do this....

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:06 pm

That is sick man.....

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:08 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Holy hell...

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Did you happen to catch the TV station that was on?;p

Calvin's a beast man. 6'5, ran a 4.35 40 despite not preparing for it, has the biggest, softest pair hands you'll have see (ok, that didnt sound right), runs great routes, great work ethic....

c'mon man

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Bones wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

McClain rd. 1

I'm assuming that in this scenario you're assuming that we've already addressed WR in free agency.............?

I'm not sure it matters. If I have a choice between McClain or a WR (and we didn't select a WR in FA), I still take McClain.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:44 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

i wouldn't be afraid to go D with our first 2 picks. LB then SAFETY. then maybe a WR in the 3rd then a DT in the 4th. then maybe another LB then bloster the OL. it seems like every year we have a good OLwe get killed with injurys :war:

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

eleaf wrote:
Bones wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

McClain rd. 1

I'm not sure it matters. If I have a choice between McClain or a WR (and we didn't select a WR in FA), I still take McClain.

That's not why I made the assumption. I'd take McClain too.
I made the assumption because Phins Rock did not list a receiver within the rest of his desired draft choices.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2