View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 For all those saying the Dolphins disrespected JT... 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post For all those saying the Dolphins disrespected JT...
I bet you were not aware of this:

Quote:
The Dolphins offered Taylor a contract extension in early November of 2009. That was reported here yesterday, Taylor said it in his press conference, and the Dolphins confirm this is true.

And the manner in which the offer came is also not up for debate. It came in a private meeting between Taylor and Bill Parcells himself.

And the offer came in the form of a Post-it note.

Parcells wanted to deal with Taylor directly. No agent was supposed to be involved. That seems to be increasingly the way the Dolphins operate with their veterans. Remember that last year Parcells approached Ricky Williams to discuss his contract?

Williams thought the team wanted to cut his salary. Instead, Parcells handed Williams a note with the figures for a contract extension. The caveat to the note was that Parcells didn't want to go through Williams' agent. And so Williams, needing money, happily left agent Leigh Steinberg out of the loop and accepted the Parcells contract extension on a Post-it note.

Well, the Dolphins tried the same thing with Taylor.

He declined the offer and instead referred the Dolphins to his agent Gary Wichard.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z0ljFJcQ2A

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:55 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: For all those saying the Dolphins disrespected JT...
Actually Jasons response to the Fins extension was "I'd rather talk about it after the season, in an uncapped year"

Jason is a Jet... I hate the Jets.. End of story...

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:01 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
He declined the offer and instead referred the Dolphins to his agent Gary Wichard.

Come on, why not go through his agent? I don't get that.

Anyways, the way I would have handled it if I were JT would be to take the offer to my agent and get his advice on how the contract should be worked out. Who cares if he talked directly to me or my agent. I'd probably roll my eyes through the process, but I would have gotten it done.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:07 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A little more info from Jason Taylor's perspective ...

Armando Salguero wrote:
"It wasn't the right time," Taylor said. "I wasn't comfortable with the contract situation coming up then. Maybe I grew up old school, back in the days of Jimmy Johnson and Dave Wannstedt and Rick Spielman. We didn't talk contract once the season started. My focus was on trying to get to the playoffs, not on talking money. And why would I do a deal without my agent? Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland have an agent."

* The Taylor camp believes that once the player declined the Big Tuna's personal offer, that triggered something that doesn't resemble love. The Dolphins do not argue the point that perhaps -- perhaps -- Parcells was not thrilled Taylor rejected his personal overture.

Miami Herald

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:16 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

If it wasnt about money anymore then why not accept the offer and have the agent work out the details?? It dosnt matter anymore... He picked the one team us Dolfans loathe the most. He could have went ANYWHERE else and i would have been ok with it ( even the patriots) But this...this burns all his bridges in S. Florida... Plus lets not act like the Jets were his only option other teams would have been looking for his services come training camp

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:21 am

Big Dave wrote:
Come on, why not go through his agent? I don't get that.

Because agents are bloodsucking leeches and unethical operators for the most part.

Look, Ricky Williams thought the Dolphins were going to screw him by bypassing his agent and instead he got more money. The Dolphins negotiate in good faith. Agents do not.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:30 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

This is a sad day in football. I think jason taylor just wants to be a celebrity, why else go to New York? I'm washing my hands with this mess. He has to wear that green taint for the rest of his life. I won't even waste my breath boo-ing him when he plays Miami

Lets win a Bowl & forget this sell out

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:19 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Can't really blame JT...we didn't show him love, they did. In the end they overpay and we're probably better off, but to us fans this move hurts, regardless of how reasonable it really was.

It's ridiculous to demand that JT play for a bare minimum when another team is offering him more, both in money and probably in playing time.

Dansby didn't want to sign with Arizona after they made an informal offer to him, and we don't judge Dansb'ys character for it.

Sure, JT went to a rival, and that is deplorable. Yet it is our FO that let him go to a rival...just as deplorable. This is just the result of the cold business side of the NFL. JT doesnt have much left in the tank and he want sto get paid and possibly win a ring. Rex Ryan made him feel like the defensive MVP he was a few years ago and the Dolphns made him feel totally dispensable. In the end, it's good to know that Parcells and Co. were probably right.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:39 am

fonzy wrote:
Can't really blame JT...we didn't show him love, they did.

Did you even read what I posted? They offered him a contract extension during the season. He said no.

Quote:
It's ridiculous to demand that JT play for a bare minimum when another team is offering him more, both in money and probably in playing time.

Show me the dollar figures stated indicating the Dolphins were offering him the bare minimum.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:43 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
fonzy wrote:
Can't really blame JT...we didn't show him love, they did.

Did you even read what I posted? They offered him a contract extension during the season. He said no.

Quote:

Show me the dollar figures stated indicating the Dolphins were offering him the bare minimum.

Yeah I read what you posted. I also know that many players would not have taken a contact offer made in the middle of the season on a post-it note. Ricky did it because he knew it was as good as it's going to get. JT thought he could get a better offer/deserved one, it's his right to feel that way, especially considering that there was indeed a team that would pay more and place higher value on his services. JT said it best, Parcells and Ireland have agents too, and they wouldn't negotiate without them.

This idea that Parcells was trying to avoid going through the "evil" agent is bogus, Parcells was playing agent himself and understood the advantages of not going through JT's agent..a very calculating move. So why should the Dolphins organization get a pass for being indifferent and crude with Taylor? In reality , it probably would not have taken much to get Taylor signed, they just didn't want him that bad.

Crazy how we have completely flip-flopped our perspective on one of the best Dolphins in recent history because of this. The truth is, Dansby didn't settle for less money to stay in Arizona, Ryan Clark used us as leverage to get a bigger contact in Pittsburgh, Anquan Boldin couldn't agree to terms with his team, etc. We don't seem to question players loyalties when they are possibly coming to our team, but when it's a player we care for who is leaving our team we attack him and question his personal character, it's really ridiculous. Especially when you consider that Dansby and all those guys wouldn't settle for HUGE money with their teams, JT is asking for pennies in comparison.

Not making a case for JT's loyalty, just pointing out the hypocrisy in hating the guy for this.

The Dolphins knew what the Jets were doing and still didn't offer anything in the last couple of weeks because they are waiting to see what happens with the draft. The Dolphins obviously aren't letting nostalgia play into their decision, so why should JT?

I meant dirt cheap rather than bare minimum. No excuse for why the Dolphins refused to sign him from financial perspective. They think they can get a long without him, and they are probably right. Why is that JT's fault?

And if that little blurb is true about Parcells and co. disliking the way Taylor rejected the offer in mid-season, and that it was actually a factor in why he is not re-signed, then I blame the organization even more..that's just childish.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:05 am

They very clearly communicated to Taylor that they would address him after the draft. He agreed to wait. Then changed his mind.

Sounds like you have a bias in the story without having all the facts.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:14 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
They very clearly communicated to Taylor that they would address him after the draft. He agreed to wait. Then changed his mind.

Well most of us just dislike that they did that :) Sign him up and show him we trust him and acknowledge his contributions...When your hear some coaches talk of trusted veterans like they are melted to the club, its a shame to see the 'cold' business some times :(

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:16 am

enJeppesen wrote:
Rich wrote:

Well most of us just dislike that they did that :) Sign him up and show him we trust him and acknowledge his contributions...When your hear some coaches talk of trusted veterans like they are melted to the club, its a shame to see the 'cold' business some times :(

So they should just offer him whatever money he wants whenever he wants, regardless of their own personal opinion of his ability and value because it ticks off overly emotional fans?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:19 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:

Where does it say that he agreed to wait? All of the stuff I read said he's been hoping to work something out for a while. Even if he did change his mind, can you blame him? Say he declines NY's offer, and the Dolphins don't pick him up after the draft, then what? It's unreasonable to expect that from him, he needs to worry about his job security as much as anyone else. The Dolphins obviously weren't budging on their offer even in the face of NY making moves, so how was JT supposed to feel optimistic about his chances with the Phins after the draft?

Admit it, the Dolphins showed him the cold shoulder. It's just easier to pretend like this cold business side to the NFL is only exemplified by "selfish players". When in reality our beloved team is acting in the same fashion. All of this JT bashing is based on the idea that the Dolphins really wanted him, and that's not the case. So the guy is supposed to worry about who the Dolphins' rivals are when selecting another team to play for? Cmon.

I don't have a bias, I've stated before that I (shamefully) hope he has a bad season with the Jets..that's the Dolphins fan in me talking. But Im reasonable to understand he should not be criticized anymore than the Dolphins brass for this move. It's the JT bashers who have a bias with this. It's the same people who went crazy when he did the Dancing with the Stars thing for ONE summer after being the only player worth a darn on this team for several years etc. JT gave us a lot and because of that we expect everything from hi,, but that's not reasonable or realistic in this league. That being said, it's not like the guy wanted a massive contract like Dansby and other free agents who we have come to appreciate despite their affinity for the big bucks. JT wanted a decent contract, and some solid playing time. The Dolphins didn't want him that bad, so he left, even after stating he REALLY wanted to stay and work something out. I dont know that many free agents, including the two we are thrilled about having signed, who would be as patient with their teams as Taylor.

Last edited by fonzy on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:25 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I don't think I said that...The contract he got at Jets isn't too bad. It's basically max 3,75 and the rest is incentives for next season, afaik..We saved a lot of money on him last season, too

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:30 am

fonzy wrote:
Where does it say that he agreed to wait?

Read the article.

Quote:
And, they say, that as late as Monday, the Taylor camp was "fine" with waiting until after the draft.

The Taylor camp agrees that they were initially "fine" with the idea of waiting unitl after the draft. No disagreement there, either.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:32 am

enJeppesen wrote:
I don't think I said that...The contract he got at Jets isn't too bad. It's basically max 3,75 and the rest is incentives for next season, afaik..We saved a lot of money on him last season, too

Almost 4 mil is a nice chunk of cap room.

Think about how sick it is that someone is talking about almost 4 mil as if it is peanuts...

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:32 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Rich wrote:
enJeppesen wrote:

Think about how sick it is that someone is talking about almost 4 mil as if it is peanuts...

Yeah no kidding... i struggle to save up 4,000 and these guys are throwing around millions.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:38 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
enJeppesen wrote:

Compared to what we pay for other FAs? When we signed Dansby, everyone hailed it a as good move and he is already a fan favorite without having played a single down as a Phin. From the Cardinals' fan perspective, it can be said Dansby is completely disloyal because the Cards offered him a contract informally (way bigger than JTs) which he turned down for a bigger pay-day with the Phins. We don't seem to question Dansby's loyalty, and we certainly buy into his "I really wanted to come to Miami" rhetoric like a bunch of suckers.

But when it comes to a guy we know, a guy who has given his all to this organization, a guy who has been the saving grace in an otherwise pathetic team, we bash that guy and call him disloyal because the team expected him to:

1. Wait until after the draft to see if MAYBE he had a job.

2. Take less money than offered to him elsewhere.

The logic just isn't there. All of you JT bashers need to take off the blinders. The Miami Dolphins are just as cold and calculating as any individual player in the league. They held no loyalties to JT, why should it be expected that he hold loyalty to them?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:42 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

One more thing.

JT didn't just sign with New York. He was offered a contract weeks ago and sat on it waiting for the Dolphins to make a move. He could have signed in NY when he visited weeks ago and instead gave the Dolphins time to react. The FO showed the just didn't care that much.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:49 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
fonzy wrote:

I have yet to see Parcells lowball anyone puts it out on the field and gives 100% to his program. I'll bet it was a fair offer.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:26 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:
fonzy wrote:

I have yet to see Parcells lowball anyone puts it out on the field and gives 100% to his program. I'll bet it was a fair offer.

I would have to agree with that. However, I stand by the notion that at the end of the day, the Dolphins didn't want him that bad. They knew NY was making a strong a strong push for JT and they decided to sit back and do nothing. That's ok from a football standpoint, in fact I think they did that right thing, JT is on the downside of his illustrious career. What I am arguing against is the perspective that JT is somehow a "traitor" for playing with the Jets and that he is selfish for not having waited until after the draft. There was no guarantee they would pick him up after the draft, and it's unreasonable to have expected that he burn bridges with another organization in hopes the Dolphins would pick him up later. It would have been a stupid move professionally, and the team is treating him on a professional basis,so that's how he has to act.

I haven't heard of any player accepting a post-it note contract in the NFL besides Ricky Williams. JT stated he wanted to wait until after the season and take into consideration the uncapped year like any other player in his position would. If the Dolphins front office is that unwilling to work with JT under any other circumstance than JT should be free to explore any options available to him.

Last edited by fonzy on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:37 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Jets suck and anyone in a Jets uniform is garbage....

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:40 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
A little more info from Jason Taylor's perspective ...

Armando Salguero wrote:
"It wasn't the right time," Taylor said. "I wasn't comfortable with the contract situation coming up then. Maybe I grew up old school, back in the days of Jimmy Johnson and Dave Wannstedt and Rick Spielman. We didn't talk contract once the season started. My focus was on trying to get to the playoffs, not on talking money. And why would I do a deal without my agent? Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland have an agent."

* The Taylor camp believes that once the player declined the Big Tuna's personal offer, that triggered something that doesn't resemble love. The Dolphins do not argue the point that perhaps -- perhaps -- Parcells was not thrilled Taylor rejected his personal overture.

Miami Herald

Because Parcells isn't old school? He's certainly more old school than any of those guys he mentioned. In fact Parcells was winning super bowls before any of those guys were in the league.

JT is trying mightily to show the situation as a lack of respect. Simply put he couldn't hold his wad until after the draft to see what bones came his way. He professes love for the Dolphins, but agrees to ay with the Jets?

Give me a break.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

fonzy wrote:
Can't really blame JT...we didn't show him love, they did. In the end they overpay and we're probably better off, but to us fans this move hurts, regardless of how reasonable it really was.

Dansby didn't want to sign with Arizona after they made an informal offer to him, and we don't judge Dansb'ys character for it.

Sure, JT went to a rival, and that is deplorable. Yet it is our FO that let him go to a rival...just as deplorable. This is just the result of the cold business side of the NFL. JT doesnt have much left in the tank and he want sto get paid and possibly win a ring. Rex Ryan made him feel like the defensive MVP he was a few years ago and the Dolphns made him feel totally dispensable. In the end, it's good to know that Parcells and Co. were probably right.

Jason Taylor did not show Miami love when the new regime was hired and he wanted OUT. He got his wish.

He wants to come back to Miami and the Dolphins bring him back. He 35 years old and the Dolphins told him they would address his situation after the draft after he turned down there extenstion offer in November.

I would have liked to seen him bought back because he would be a solid prescence in the locker room and he had a solid year. But I am not going to shed a tear because Taylor decided he could not wait.

He made a business decision and once again decided to leave Miami.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:51 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

FloDro wrote:
If it wasnt about money anymore then why not accept the offer and have the agent work out the details?? It dosnt matter anymore... He picked the one team us Dolfans loathe the most. He could have went ANYWHERE else and i would have been ok with it ( even the patriots) But this...this burns all his bridges in S. Florida... Plus lets not act like the Jets were his only option other teams would have been looking for his services come training camp

100% - JT was acting to put pressure on the FO - and he got left out in the cold - memories of his dance shenanigans

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

fonzy wrote:
One more thing.

JT didn't just sign with New York. He was offered a contract weeks ago and sat on it waiting for the Dolphins to make a move. He could have signed in NY when he visited weeks ago and instead gave the Dolphins time to react. The FO showed the just didn't care that much.

It's called working both sides to the middle and being his old diva self - as he is yesterdays news - he just doesn't know it - he really is

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:05 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

fonzy wrote:
Rich wrote:
enJeppesen wrote:

Compared to what we pay for other FAs? When we signed Dansby, everyone hailed it a as good move and he is already a fan favorite without having played a single down as a Phin. From the Cardinals' fan perspective, it can be said Dansby is completely disloyal because the Cards offered him a contract informally (way bigger than JTs) which he turned down for a bigger pay-day with the Phins. We don't seem to question Dansby's loyalty, and we certainly buy into his "I really wanted to come to Miami" rhetoric like a bunch of suckers.

But when it comes to a guy we know, a guy who has given his all to this organization, a guy who has been the saving grace in an otherwise pathetic team, we bash that guy and call him disloyal because the team expected him to:

2. Take less money than offered to him elsewhere.

The logic just isn't there. All of you JT bashers need to take off the blinders. The Miami Dolphins are just as cold and calculating as any individual player in the league. They held no loyalties to JT, why should it be expected that he hold loyalty to them?

JT is a shread of his former self - and not the locker room presence that people think -so 1.5 was probably fair at the time..., all Divas like to be treated well like... Divas - both sides got what the wanted

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:08 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i dont care what happened, jt in the end chose to go to the jets. he is dead to me.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He acts as if the Phins owe him something. He's become a very rich man because of the Dolphins, and has been made a star while here. He got what he deserved as a 35 year old whose best days are long gone: consideration after the draft. That he felt he couldn't wait 3 days shows his priorities. We want to secure the future if the organization. He sought to block that by thinking we should give him priority. That we wouldn't give him priority over the future of our team drove him to sign with the sworn enemy.

Draw your own conclusion, but if wanted anything to do with the Dolphins, he would have waited 3 days. He only wanted the Phins to delay yet another year for his sake.

He is now the sworn enemy. He doesn't deserve any pity from any Phin fans. No retired Jersey, no ring of honor. He deserves to be stricken from the record.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:14 am
Profile WWW

fonzy wrote:

This is standard operating procedure for most teams dealing with a guy in his mid 30s.

Quote:
All of you JT bashers need to take off the blinders.

Can we stop with the labels? Deal with the people bashing Taylor in their posts. I'm not one of them.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:21 am

fonzy wrote:
One more thing.

I notice you didn't address the FACT that he agreed to wait til after the draft and then changed his mind.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:22 am

phinsfansc wrote:
Jason Taylor did not show Miami love when the new regime was hired and he wanted OUT. He got his wish.

End of discussion.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I loved JT, but he is dead to me now. He does not even go into the ring of honor. :jests:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:24 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
fonzy wrote:
One more thing.

I notice you didn't address the FACT that he agreed to wait til after the draft and then changed his mind.

But that would ignore his theory that JT was raised by a wild herd of unicorns.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:

Completely agree. Taylor always tries to come out of these situations shining like no blame should be placed on his shoulders. That is simply not the case.

Let's not forget that he forced his way out after the 2007 season. He gave up on this franchise and only wanted back in because it looked like they were on to something.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:58 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

eleaf wrote:
Rich wrote:
fonzy wrote:
One more thing.

No, I did address it, if you look at one of my previous posts I stated that it there was an obvious reason on why he changed his mind. NY came to him with serious intentions and a sincere desire to have him play a role on their team. I don't care why he didn't sign immediately, but the fact is he left time for Miami to take action and match or better the offer, and the Dolphins did nothing. Obviously, regardless of the draft, the lack of action by the Dolphins FO shows that they don;t have serious intentions of re-signing JT. All of you are assuming that after the draft he would automatically be resigned, and there is no evidence to suggest that.

Again, I'm not arguing that JT is loyal and wanted to be a Dolphin above all else. What I'm saying is that it is unfair to hold players up to a standard that doesn't exist in today's NFL. The Dolphins FO isn't treating the JT situation with any nostalgia about who he is and what he has done for the team in the past. So why should JT stick with a team that obviously doesn't want him just for old times sake?

We love the Dolphins so we give the organization the benefit of the doubt on all of these things. Truth is they are just as much to blame for JT going to NY. Not to mention, we think we have all of the facts to conclude that he tried to "force" himself out, and that dancing with the stars meant he didn't want to play football, etc.

Fascinating how quickly we turn on a a guy like Taylor but immediately embrace the signing of a guy like Brandon Marshall, we are fickle sports fans and we need to realize that.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:28 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

eleaf wrote:
Rich wrote:
fonzy wrote:
One more thing.

Unicorns huh? I'm not the one living in a fantasy land where loyalty actually plays a role in the NFL.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:39 am

I hate the whole "this is a business" talk... so what?

Businesses go through training every single year on "how to treat employees" and the like. Just because it's a business doesn't mean there shouldn't be a level of respect there. We're all people... no matter what way you flip it...

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:43 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

IamPZ wrote:
I hate the whole "this is a business" talk... so what?

Businesses go through training every single year on "how to treat employees" and the like. Just because it's a business doesn't mean there shouldn't be a level of respect there. We're all people... no matter what way you flip it...

Agreed. The Dolphins were treating JT in a very business-like way throughout, and JT had to act in a similar fashion

Both parties could have made a more personable effort, but they didn't. In my mind they are both to lame for JT landing in NY, but I believe it's something any player would have done in his position. Unfortunately, things always tend to be about the money and playing time in the NFL, above team loyalties.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next