View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 This says it all (Dolphins need complete repair job) 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post This says it all (Dolphins need complete repair job)
Quote:
Word of advice: Ross should stop looking into Philbin's eyes and look instead to the football field where the Dolphins look rudderless.

More advice: Instead of listening to his coach's voice, he should listen to the fans who are saying, "If you are going to start over, Mr. Ross, start over from the ground up. Don't offer half solutions."

If Ross turns Ireland into his scapegoat after this season, he would be making basically the same mistake he made last year. Last year, Ross fired Tony Sparano and kept the general manager who had worked with the coach since 2008.

So Ross decided it was Sparano's fault the Dolphins were failing and not Ireland's. Now, if he lowers the guillotine on Ireland but spares Philbin and his staff, once again the Dolphins would be an uneven organization.

By that I mean the Dolphins wouldn't be hiring a general manager and coach who are in synch. They would be hiring a general manager who has to accept the current coach, just like this time around they hired a coach who could accept working with Ireland.

And what might that mean? The general manager equivalent of Jeff Fisher or other experienced personnel men will decline the chance to come to Miami.

Ross on Monday spoke of two committees that will advise him on what to do next. I'm not on that committee. But here's my advice:

Ask questions, sir.

Ask why Dion Jordan, your third overall draft pick, plays only sparingly.

Why your two high-round rookie corners don't play but you trust Nolan Carroll, who the last coaching staff figured out was not good enough but is playing despite being not good enough.

Ask why this defense misses so many tackles. Still.

Ask why the offense has no identity. I mean, seriously, what are the Dolphins really good at doing offensively?

Do they use possession passing really well? No.

Do they run the football really well and stick with it? No.

Do they spread defenses out and use their deep threat Mike Wallace to strike fear? Well, that was the plan. But unfortunately, it was Ireland's plan.

And the coaching staff apparently didn't get the memo.

About the Dolphins coaching staff : Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman seemed out of tricks by the middle of the first half. His team was down 15-0 and the Bucs had figured out the Miami snap count, figured out your love of slant routes, and figured out your love of the wide receiver screen.

This is a terrible time for the Dolphins. And Ross seems prepared to address the terrible as well as possible. The hope is he doesn't settle for incomplete fixes.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/12/3 ... rylink=cpy

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:51 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: This says it all (Dolphins need complete repair job)
I agree with the article, but Tony Sparano wasn't a scapegoat, he sucks. I don't believe he is even a waterboy in the league anymore.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:47 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
I agree with the article, but Tony Sparano wasn't a scapegoat, he sucks. I don't believe he is even a waterboy in the league anymore.

Above average QB play would have had Miami fighting for the playoffs. But I don't think Sparano was going to outcoach anyone or get this team beyond a 10-6 record at best. Yeah, he did it in year 1 but that was behind the wildcat, which was figured out rather quickly in year 2.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

i think the point he was making is that both should have been fired together, not just Tony.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ireland should have been gone long ago. It should not be a question at all after this season.

Philbin is another lousy coach. He has lost control of the locker room. The snap count thing was fine evidence that he misses the obvious as well. Our half time adjustments have been horrible and the team always seems unprepared and lackluster. Mike Sherman is even worse. He just keeps calling plays that don't work and digging the team into a bigger hole. That stretch running play is hilarious. The offensive line can't execute it and certainly Thomas can't turn the corner with his lack of speed, but they even run that play when Thomas is in. Lamar Miller is a good back. They should only run between the tackles and if your guys can't generate enough push or openings to run, then stop f'in doing it. Make adjustments.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

I swore I saw him on the sideline of the Raiders... lol

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

marc23 wrote:
Makchell wrote:

I swore I saw him on the sideline of the Raiders... lol

How about last night.....there was Wannstache beating the Phins with his special teams. Our special teams was mixed last night. Fields and Sturgis got it done. Thigpen kept fielding punts inside the 10. Hey....you don't have to catch them all Thigpen.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I know it sounds like Tannehill bashing day but these were eye opening tweets from Omar Kelly:

"Ryan Tannehill has horrible chemistry with his best weapon. He doesn't throw WRs open. Rarely uses backs in the passing game. Has horrible pocket presence. He can't throw a good deep ball, and too often stares down his targets. Could he be better in '14? But what's the upside?"

"As I've consistently said, if your franchise isn't in possession of a top 10 QB then keep picking one because your franchise deserves better."

I'm sorry but this is all true and it really stings. And I say this as a card carrying member of the patience brigade. The guy is a mobile QB but rarely chooses to break off and make a play.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:28 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

As I've consistently said, if your franchise isn't in possession of a top 10 QB then keep picking one because your franchise deserves better

hey Omar, did you read my post regarding drafting a QB every year? I agree with youOmar, for once.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:51 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'm sorry but this is all true and it really stings. And I say this as a card carrying member of the patience brigade. The guy is a mobile QB but rarely chooses to break off and make a play

It is sad jammer, but RT's stats have improved and the OL does suck as well as the dropped balls by Clay and Mathews had a drop too. The slants and comebacks are so played. Where's the deep outs in man coverage? Like you said, dump off to backs (not when 3rd and 8). Skinny post? Roll outs?. No matter what, draft a QB, this year they are deep too.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
It is sad jammer, but RT's stats have improved and the OL does suck as well as the dropped balls by Clay and Mathews had a drop too.

Yeah I know but there is more to it. I realize the line sucks, drops happen and the coaches aren't exactly helping. But at some point he has to start making plays, not waiting for someone else to get it done or screw it up.

You can look at his interceptions and say that 4 of them were in desperate situations or end of the game hail mary's. Fine, his rating and completion rate improve. But why was he in that situation to begin with? What throws was he missing earlier in the game that led to this?

At some point the excuses have to stop and he has to take over. I've been down this road too many times cheering for something that isn't there. I'm starting to fear that Tannehill isn't much more than mild upgrade from Chad Henne. Maybe if he had a big possession target like PR keeps mentioning then things would be different. But that just feels like another excuse.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:35 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

At some point the excuses have to stop and he has to take over

I learned as well during the Henne era about excuses, so I'm cautious about him. I'm seeing the same things you are.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:41 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I don't agree with Omar's assessment. Tannehill's pocket presence is not good, but it's regressed. I thought it was one of his biggest, if not his number 1 biggest strength in his rookie year. Give him good protection and he'll be comfortable enough to feel the pocket again.

People need to stop saying his deep ball stinks…He's pretty darn accurate to everybody not named Wallace. Why he can't hit Wallace is completely beyond my comprehension, but Hartline, Clay, Matthews have gotten consistently good deep balls from him.

"Rarely uses his backs in the passing game"….Well no duh, they suck at it. Lamar Miller can't catch and you may as well throw it away if you're throwing it to Daniel Thomas.

He doesn't throw WR's open? Half his throws to Matthews are throwing him open….Peyton Manning couldn't throw Wallace open…

And the staring receivers down thing really irks me. If it's incomplete, he stared him down. If it's a completion, he made a good throw to his first read…

Questioning his upside is idiocy. Tannehill has above average to very good talent. Good enough to be a top 10 QB…That said, I'll admit he needs a coaching staff who can save him at this point though.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If you're going to fire Ireland, which it seems like you must, you have to fire Philbin. I agree with Armando here -- if you're going to clean house, then clean the whole house.

All of which means this for Tannehill: If you bring in a new head coach and a new GM, they are going to want their own quarterback. Perhaps you can trade Tannehill for a draft pick, but it would be nothing more than a mid-rounder at this point.

I will say, if that's the route this team takes, this is the year to do it. This will definitely be a quarterback-heavy draft. And with the way this team appears to be circling the drain, a 5-11 kind of season would likely net a top-12 pick and the chance to draft a guy high again. I'd love to see Johnny Football.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

Oakland Raiders
(Asst. Head Coach/Offensive Line)

Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
I don't agree with Omar's assessment. Tannehill's pocket presence is not good, but it's regressed. I thought it was one of his biggest, if not his number 1 biggest strength in his rookie year. Give him good protection and he'll be comfortable enough to feel the pocket again.

People need to stop saying his deep ball stinks…He's pretty darn accurate to everybody not named Wallace. Why he can't hit Wallace is completely beyond my comprehension, but Hartline, Clay, Matthews have gotten consistently good deep balls from him.

"Rarely uses his backs in the passing game"….Well no duh, they suck at it. Lamar Miller can't catch and you may as well throw it away if you're throwing it to Daniel Thomas.

He doesn't throw WR's open? Half his throws to Matthews are throwing him open….Peyton Manning couldn't throw Wallace open…

And the staring receivers down thing really irks me. If it's incomplete, he stared him down. If it's a completion, he made a good throw to his first read…

Questioning his upside is idiocy. Tannehill has above average to very good talent. Good enough to be a top 10 QB…That said, I'll admit he needs a coaching staff who can save him at this point though.

You make good points and that is why I don't want to bail on him. I'd argue he has very good talent but there is something beyond just protection that is missing. It's almost like the coaching staff has taught him to avoid being a playmaker, and instead just sit in the pocket as though he has a world of time and receivers running great routes.

Its a good to question to ask about a coaching hire. Does Ross boot Ireland/Philbin and hire a new GM who's mission is to find a coach that will save Tannehill?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
At some point the excuses have to stop and he has to take over

I learned as well during the Henne era about excuses, so I'm cautious about him. I'm seeing the same things you are.

I don't think that Tannehill is a top 14 quarterback yet......BUT!!!!!!......he is WAYYYYY better than Chad Henne in my opinion. I think he deserves a shot with a new and improved coaching staff. He's still just raw clay waiting to be molded.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]