View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ricky Williams take 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Ricky Williams take
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000277233/article/ricky-williams-to-martin-maybe-you-dont-belong-in-nfl?campaign=Twitter_atl

Actually agree with a lot of his points he makes

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Ricky Williams take
This is actually a good read from Ricky Williams and his thoughts on the matter.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:45 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

The manuscripts I have read are far from bullying, they are racist threats.

I was a huge Incognito fan, was my favorite player. But this is way over the line...
I am a smart ***, I love to joke around, play pranks, etc. Having fun with a team mate, co worker, heck even another forum member here is all in fun and acceptable.

What he did was not. Whoever knew about it is weaker than Martin IMO.

And I am sure Ritchie's praises to Ricky earlier this year have no bearing on his take on this....

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:

I was a huge Incognito fan, was my favorite player. But this is way over the line...
I am a smart ***, I love to joke around, play pranks, etc. Having fun with a team mate, co worker, heck even another forum member here is all in fun and acceptable.

And I am sure Ritchie's praises to Ricky earlier this year have no bearing on his take on this....

Seems like most of the Phins locker room disagree with you.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:07 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

We aren't being told what REALLY happened. Until we are and it proves Richie was in the wrong I want him back on the oline.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:21 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

AQNOR wrote:

As well as the Klu Klux Klan... So I guess its ok to call someone a N****r

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:46 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Then it's not OK to call someone a N***** in a rap song? Or black on Black conversation?

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:00 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

10acjed wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

I don't think that's really up to you. If Martin didn't have a problem with it then yes it is okay to call someone the N word. If Martin didn't like it and didn't say anything that is on HIM also. The N word is becoming less and less racist in today youths.
My white friends call my black friends it all the time and my black friends call my white friends it all the time. Not saying Richie is youthful or anything but words have the power that you as the individual give to them.
There is no real problem here unless he called Martin it, and Martin didn't like it and told him to cut it out and Richie didn't.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:01 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

In the black culture, it's like the Italians calling each other bro.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Why don't you ask the Phins locker room that question? Troop right on down there and compare them to the klan if that is what you think they are like.

Michael Wilbon was on ESPN radio earlier today and said that a younger generation was coming up that was not associating the N word in the same context that he did. He was having a hard time understanding it but was trying to.

Maybe a cultural change is taking place and the guys in the locker room are not trying to stand shoulder to shoulder with the klan but are expressing their views and maybe for them and possibly their generation that the use of the N word in some situations is acceptable and does not mean that the person using it is a racist.

If you don't think the word is used fairly freely in the African-American community (at least in the south) then you don't hang around the same guys I do. That friends of other races are allowed to use it also is not that surprising.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:00 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Stupidest reasoning I have ever heard... Does anyone really believe from the rest of that vile message that it was a term of endearment..

Why doesnt Eminem say it if it is soo acceptable? And why are you using *** instead of just saying it if it is such a fun word?

Remember, the correct spelling is how Ritchie used it, not with ahh at the end...

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:25 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

AQNOR wrote:
Why don't you ask the Phins locker room that question? Troop right on down there and compare them to the klan if that is what you think they are like.

Tell ya what, we will go tegether.. You go to Pouncey, and call him a "half ni**er" and I will tell anyone who takes your side they are racists..

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:26 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Stupidest reasoning I have ever heard... Does anyone really believe from the rest of that vile message that it was a term of endearment..

Why doesnt Eminem say it if it is soo acceptable? And why are you using *** instead of just saying it if it is such a fun word?

Remember, the correct spelling is how Ritchie used it, not with ahh at the end...

I don't think anyone is saying it's acceptable or fun. The point is that black on black use it a lot. I have black friends and they call each other the word all time like it's no big deal. Eminem doesn't say it cause he's not black, that's the point. It's OK for black on black to say it and listen to it in rap lyrics, but when someone other than black uses it, they are racist.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:40 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

AQNOR wrote:
10acjed wrote:

They were told to keep their comments professional and uncontroversial prior to opening up the locker room to the media. I take everything that was said with a grain of salt.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:41 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Tell ya what, we will go tegether.. You go to Pouncey, and call him a "half ni**er" and I will tell anyone who takes your side they are racists..

I have never expressed any desire to use that terminology. You were the one who compared the Phins locker room to the klan. Not sure why you want to drag me into your world that believes that message when I do not. You are on your own with that one.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:15 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

AQNOR wrote:
10acjed wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

I have never expressed any desire to use that terminology. You were the one who compared the Phins locker room to the klan. Not sure why you want to drag me into your world that believes that message when I do not. You are on your own with that one.

Then why respond to me in the first place?

I have no issue telling anyone who thinks Ritchie was right in saying that to Martin that they are as much of a idiot as he is. And that is all I am saying, if the "Phins locker room" is saying there is nothing wrong with what he said, then so be it.

I do not know what those 51 men are thinking, and I doubt you do either

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:

Then why respond to me in the first place?

I have no issue telling anyone who thinks Ritchie was right in saying that to Martin that they are as much of a idiot as he is. And that is all I am saying, if the "Phins locker room" is saying there is nothing wrong with what he said, then so be it.

I do not know what those 51 men are thinking, and I doubt you do either

That is not all you are saying. For one you have compared the Phins locker room to the klan. I don't believe that.

Why did I respond because you said
Quote:

You have called out Ritchie as a racist. I am not convinced that is true.

Quote:
In fact, Dolphins players were almost unanimous in their support of Incognito, who was suspended indefinitely by the Dolphins on Sunday for "conduct detrimental to the team." Not a single player, publicly or privately, had a bad thing to say about Incognito

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 am

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
In fact, Dolphins players were almost unanimous in their support of Incognito, who was suspended indefinitely by the Dolphins on Sunday for "conduct detrimental to the team." Not a single player, publicly or privately, had a bad thing to say about Incognito

It is irrelevant what the other players in the lockerroom think as they weren't even aware this stuff was going on.

They may still not be aware of the extent of this.

It was happening outside of the lockerroom.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:48 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
It is irrelevant what the other players in the lockerroom think as they weren't even aware this stuff was going on.

And you know this how?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Quote:

I disagree. I think it relevant what the other players in the locker room think. If they think he is or is not a racist I think it important.

If they have helped create a climate in which the N word can be used and not be thought racist then that is important to understand. imo.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:14 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
I disagree. I think it relevant what the other players in the locker room think. If they think he is or is not a racist I think it important.

If they have helped create a climate in which the N word can be used and not be thought racist then that is important to understand. imo.

Shhhh. Don't make sense.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:14 am

AQNOR wrote:

Again, these incidents were taking place on text messages and voicemails. OUTSIDE of the lockerroom. The locker room seemed unaware of the extent of this, so given that how can they form a valid opinion?

Quote:

Speculation, we have no idea about this at all.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:18 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Again, these incidents were taking place on text messages and voicemails. OUTSIDE of the lockerroom. The locker room seemed unaware of the extent of this, so given that how can they form a valid opinion?

So a few text messages changes years worth of locker room relationships he built up?

Quote:

You're ignoring the obvious. Even Mike Pouncey let him get away with it and Pouncey is pretty "street" kind of guy.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:23 am

AQNOR wrote:
Rich wrote:

We have players saying they didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. So yes, we do have an idea.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:24 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
So a few text messages changes years worth of locker room relationships he built up?

Here we go again with missing my point.

Quote:
You're ignoring the obvious. Even Mike Pouncey let him get away with it and Pouncey is pretty "street" kind of guy.

Because Incognito was in a bar acting the fool while Pouncey had his back turned to him telling someone else the guy was nuts?

We don't even know if he heard the racial slur.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:25 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Here we go again with missing my point.

Feeling is mutual.

Quote:
Because Incognito was in a bar acting the fool while Pouncey had his back turned to him telling someone else the guy was nuts?

We don't even know if he heard the racial slur.

You always have some contrarian out when it comes to these kinds of conversation. He was literally 5-6 feet away on the other side of a pool table as Richie is storming around the room yelling his lungs out.

You want to tell me Pouncey didn't hear it and that in a presence of some black teammates he didn't feel comfortable/acceptable using that word?

Not logical.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:29 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Feeling is mutual.

You're the one responding to a point I made....

Quote:
You always have some contrarian out when it comes to these kinds of conversation.

I look at all sides and all possibilities.

Sorry for not being narrow-minded.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:31 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Yes, yes. We now. You look at all sides so you can back and forth every poster on here who attempts to form their own opinions. You forever win with the "We don't know for sure" card.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:33 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

We have players saying they didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. So yes, we do have an idea.

That is your interpretation. Another could be that maybe it was ordinary that is why it was not noticed as out of the ordinary. There is video of Ingcognito using the N word to Pouncey and he not reacting negatively seems like he was smiling about the situation of Ingocnito being Ingocnito.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:33 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yes, yes. We now. You look at all sides so you can back and forth every poster on here who attempts to form their own opinions. You forever win with the "We don't know for sure" card.

That's your perspective.

You don't have to read my posts or respond if its such an annoyance to you.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:34 am

AQNOR wrote:
That is your interpretation. Another could be that maybe it was ordinary that is why it was not noticed as out of the ordinary. There is video of Ingcognito using the N word to Pouncey and he not reacting negatively seems like he was smiling about the situation of Ingocnito being Ingocnito.

Do we have reports of Incognito calling Martin a half n***** in the lockeroom and threatening to crap in his mouth?

Do we know that Incognito was doing this to other players and they were cool with it?

And even if they were, what does it matter? If one guy is cool with it, it doesn't mean the next guy has to be.

As for the video, I watched it over and over and it seemed as if Pouncey was more trying to laugh the situation off and avoid it by talking to someone else than paying attention to it.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:37 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Didn't Pouncey ask Incognito if he wanted to be his best man? I thought it was pretty funny..sort of like a slight dig at him.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

Do we have reports of Incognito calling Martin a half n***** in the lockeroom and threatening to crap in his mouth?

Do we know that Incognito was doing this to other players and they were cool with it?

And even if they were, what does it matter? If one guy is cool with it, it doesn't mean the next guy has to be.

As for the video, I watched it over and over and it seemed as if Pouncey was more trying to laugh the situation off and avoid it by talking to someone else than paying attention to it.

Do we have reports of teamates saying they don't think Incognito is a racist?

Do we have video of Incognito using the N word around at least one teamate and he being cool with it?

I watched the video over and over and it seemed Pouncey was totally ok with it and thought the whole situation normal and funny.

Did not say the next guy has to be cool with it but do we have reports that Martin told Incognito he was not cool with it before he left?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:52 am

AQNOR wrote:
Do we have reports of teamates saying they don't think Incognito is a racist?

Do we have video of Incognito using the N word around at least one teamate and he being cool with it?

I watched the video over and over and it seemed Pouncey was totally ok with it and thought the whole situation normal and funny.

Did not say the next guy has to be cool with it but do we have reports that Martin told Incognito he was not cool with it before he left?

We have reports of teammates not being aware of the extent this went to in text messages and voice mails, which is my original point.

Sounds like Pouncey just found out and wished it had been handled different.

So I go back to my original premise. If they did not know the extent of the text messages and voice mails, their point of view wasn't really relevant.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
So I go back to my original premise. If they did not know the extent of the text messages and voice mails, their point of view wasn't really relevant.

Can't this defense be used for the coaches? For all we know they were never made aware and Martin was just stockpiling evidence to help him escape playing football without being labeled a quitter.

There is just something here that isn't adding up and Martin almost immediately lawyering up and having all this stuff saved makes me wonder if this wasn't well planned out. Yes, I admit I'm speculating.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

We have reports of teammates not being aware of the extent this went to in text messages and voice mails, which is my original point.

We have reports that his teammates fully aware of his messages don't think that Incognito is a racist which goes back to my original point. So their point of view is relevant.

Last edited by AQNOR on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:12 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
We have reports that his teammates fully aware of his text messages don't think that Incognito is a racist ...

Here you go:

Chris Perkins wrote:
Pouncey: Players don't think Incognito is racist

Regarding the voicemail, Carter explained there’s a culture, pop culture and athletic culture, in which the “n-word,” in certain contexts, is acceptable. So Pouncey didn’t find it racist or consider it bullying when he recently found out about the voicemail Incognito allegedly left for Martin using the "n-word."

“He said he thought it was bad,” Carter said, “but he thought he was just trying to spur Jonathan on to have a good off-season, and he wishes the words would have been different, though.”

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 9047.story

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:15 pm
Profile WWW

AQNOR wrote:
Rich wrote:

We have reports that his teammates fully aware of his messages don't think that Incognito is a racist which goes back to my original point. So their point of view is relevant.

I responded to a specific quote from an article you quoted. It didn't mention race. Sounds like you should be having that discussion with someone else.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The entire locker room knows what he said now. They still support him, hence they don't feel he's a racist. This isn't hard to understand. They digested the voicemail themselves and they know the context of how/why it was said better than the media. They just wish Cog went about it differently.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next