View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 '13 Draft Class 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post '13 Draft Class
Rock Sexton mentioned draft class in another thread but I couldn't find it. so, let's discuss. Topics include no starters.....no contributions besides a sprinkle of the #3 overall pick in the draft. Where is Dallas when the OL sucks so bad? How about the 2 DBs we drafted? Are we that deep at corner? It pisses me off there are starters ballin on other teams we are losing with picks on the bench. I just don't get it.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: '13 Draft Class
I just remember how some made it sound like every guy we selected had this untapped upside.

It's still early as we're 7 games into the season, but to have this meager of a level of contribution from this class is comical.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I remember "debating" about all the cuts that we should have signed as they also had "potential" as well. I also remember Moore is a starter with the 9ers at WR...lol. It is sad that our draft class sucks...as of right now.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dion and the corners lost alot of quality camp and practice time due to injury. That always holds rooks back.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:58 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Dion and the corners lost alot of quality camp and practice time due to injury. That always holds rooks back.

I think some of were drafted injured...right?

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:00 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
I just remember how some made it sound like every guy we selected had this untapped upside.

You know, we are starting to see other picks in our other drafts starting to step up. I wouldn't count out our 2013 draft class just yet.

I would say that Ireland has not done a good job of evaluating offensive line talent. Aside from Pouncey, his other picks haven't done a whole lot. Ireland has done well at other postions, but I think he needs to get someone to help him evaluate offensive line talent. Let's not forget that a lot of people thought that Jonathan Martin was ready to start right away last year. He did, but he was a liability.

:pumpiron:

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Jelani Jenkins is probably leading in the "most expensive fine" category. That has to count for something.

If you're counting on rookies to step up and be consistent playmakers you are in a bad spot. You're the Detroit Lions of 10 years ago.

The same gripes we're hearing now are the ones made a couple years ago about guys like Clay, Misi, Odrick etc.

Fault the GM for not having more "ready to go" talent than rookies not defying reality.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:56 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
You know, we are starting to see other picks in our other drafts starting to step up. I wouldn't count out our 2013 draft class just yet.

I would say that Ireland has not done a good job of evaluating offensive line talent. Aside from Pouncey, his other picks haven't done a whole lot. Ireland has done well at other postions, but I think he needs to get someone to help him evaluate offensive line talent. Let's not forget that a lot of people thought that Jonathan Martin was ready to start right away last year. He did, but he was a liability.

:pumpiron:

Which rookies?

Davis? Taylor? Thomas and Gilislee who are always inactive? Sims who outside of his 1 TD has not been heard from since? Sturgis whom is not looking so money anymore from long distances, which was the reason we let Carpenter go.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:30 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

not much press about it...But pretty much the whole NFL draft for 13 is not doing so well...

I can't remember a draft class with so little production...

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
not much press about it...But pretty much the whole NFL draft for 13 is not doing so well...

Ehhhhh ..... I dunno about all that. As far as the 1st round goes:

On offense EJ Manuel was playing well before he got hurt. Kyle Long has been as sturdy of a Guard as it gets. DJ Fluker been holding up for the Charger at LT (not to mention administering the body slam of the year).

On defense you've got Sheldon Richardson, Star Lotulelei, Kenny Vacarro, Jarvis Jones all playing significant roles on their squads .... Eric Reid on the 49'ers has 3 int's and 5 pass defenses.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:18 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Kev1321 wrote:

We should have taken one of those tackles that is sucking at pass blocking.

Woulda fit right in...

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Ehhhhh ..... I dunno about all that. As far as the 1st round goes:

On offense EJ Manuel was playing well before he got hurt. Kyle Long has been as sturdy of a Guard as it gets. DJ Fluker been holding up for the Charger at LT (not to mention administering the body slam of the year).

On defense you've got Sheldon Richardson, Star Lotulelei, Kenny Vacarro, Jarvis Jones all playing significant roles on their squads .... Eric Reid on the 49'ers has 3 int's and 5 pass defenses.

Jarvis Jones was benched for being ineffective...Vacarro who i wanted
at 12 is playing ok....And Manual i wouldn't call a hit at this point...Thats still only 5 or so..not exactly a stellar group so far...Usully you have more than that, especially last year

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
at 12 is playing ok....And Manual i wouldn't call a hit at this point...Thats still only 5 or so..not exactly a stellar group so far...Usully you have more than that, especially last year

Ya, but we're not really discussing "stellar". We're talking contributing some "production" based on your previous comments. That list I gave you is full of contibutors, albeit Jones just got benched this week. Sheldon Richardson is an absolute monster. Kyle Long is a rock .... etc etc.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Ya, but we're not really discussing "stellar". We're talking contributing some "production" based on your previous comments. That list I gave you is full of contibutors, albeit Jones just got benched this week. Sheldon Richardson is an absolute monster. Kyle Long is a rock .... etc etc.

Quote:
Joe Flacco, QB, Baltimore Ravens
Donnie Avery, WR, Kansas City Chiefs
Jermaine Gresham, TE, Cincinnati Bengals
Kenny Vaccaro, S, New Orleans Saints

HONORABLE MENTION:
Matt Schaub, QB, Houston Texans
Anthony Castonzo, LT, Indianapolis Colts

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... al-players

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Semantics Rock... Ok STELLAR PRODUCTION..That list is pretty weak/short for 32 guys taken in the 1st round..

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

From NFL.com

Quote:
WHERE DID THEY GO?

1) Miami Dolphins

Hoping to boost their pass rush, the Dolphins traded up to snag Dion Jordan with the third overall pick, but he's had almost no impact thus far, collecting a single sack in seven games (no starts). His struggles are especially rough considering that Miami, currently in the midst of a four-game losing streak, could use the help. Many -- myself included -- thought highly of Jordan before the draft. In fact, at one time, I even thought he might have been the best talent available. Perhaps offseason surgery to repair a torn labrum set him back.

Unfortunately for the Dolphins, they haven't had much more success with the rest of their first four picks, none of whom has made a start this season. Cornerback Jamar Taylor (second round, 54th overall) has one tackle in three games. Offensive lineman Dallas Thomas (third round, 77th overall) has yet to see the field. And cornerback Will Davis (third round, 93rd overall) has zero tackles in one game.

Chargers' rookie class among NFL's best; Dolphins' gang lacking

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:11 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I mean none of our rookies are doing squat....Could it be coaching?

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:24 am

Makchell wrote:
I mean none of our rookies are doing squat....Could it be coaching?

In the case of the cornerbacks, you've got Grimes, Patterson and Carroll who have been playing well enough this season, when healthy in the case of Patterson. Wilson is the next man up.

Taylor was injured most of camp and Davis is too erratic.

I can understand the corners maybe not getting on the field as much. But Jordan needs to be starting by now.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:39 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I can understand the corners maybe not getting on the field as much.

This is what is killing me too, we are deep there but thin at OL.

But Jordan needs to be starting by now.

For sure.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:05 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
As they chase a playoff berth, the Dolphins also hope to use the second half of the season to gain insight on assorted issues, beyond observing Ryan Tannehill’s growth. Assessing several at the midway point:

### What exactly do they have in this rookie class?

Aside from Seattle, which didn’t have a first-round pick, no team has fewer offensive/defensive snaps from its first four draft choices.

Third overall selection Dion Jordan’s 169 snaps (excluding special teams for everyone) are fifth-fewest among all first-round rookies, ahead of only Indianapolis’ Bjoern Werner (picked 24th) , Green Bay’s Datone Jones (26th), Denver’s Sylvester Williams (28th) and Minnesota’s Cordarrelle Patterson (29th).

Jordan, who has 10 hurries and one sack in 111 pass rushing opportunities (but none Thursday), said coaches want to see him play effectively against the run before they give him more playing time: “I have work to do with that.”

The Dolphins like the skill set of rookie cornerbacks Jamar Taylor and Will Davis, but it’s telling that Davis has been inactive for a month, and Miami opted for RJ Stanford over Taylor when Dimitri Patterson left with an injury late Thursday.

Taylor has played just 45 defensive snaps and allowed all four passes thrown against him to be completed, for 100 yards. “It’s tough when you see teams like Buffalo playing their rookies, but we have good cornerbacks here,” he said. “I believe I will be a darn good NFL cornerback. [But] the stuff that worked in college isn’t going to work here.”

Among the other Dolphins rookies: There’s no great optimism among some Dolphins players about Dallas Thomas, who has been working at both guard and tackle but hasn’t distinguished himself at either. Mike Gillislee hasn’t come close to unseating Daniel Thomas for the No. 2 running back job....

The Dolphins like the blocking ability of tight end Dion Sims, but coordinator Mike Sherman said he has a lot of work to do. The staff sees potential in Jelani Jenkins to be an effective third-down linebacker....

Only Houston’s Randy Bulluck has missed as many field goals as Caleb Sturgis, though he redeemed himself with his 44-yarder to send Thursday’s game to overtime. And safety Don Jones projects as a special-teams player. So the book remains very much incomplete on this class.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:30 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Makchell wrote:
I can understand the corners maybe not getting on the field as much.

This is what is killing me too, we are deep there but thin at OL.

But Jordan needs to be starting by now.

For sure.

Yeah the CB's have a legit excuse. Taylor was put in a tough spot, and Davis was taken as a project to begin with.

But Jordan being utilized so little, Dallas Thomas and Gillislee not even being active on mediocre (at best) units is pretty ridiculous.

Jelani Jenkins has actually impressed me when he's been in there. I think he'll make a good nickel LB. But overall, they're getting close to zero production from a draft class that had a top 3 pick and 4 picks in the first 3 rounds overall...Not acceptable.

Now, it's also unacceptable to be judging the class and how it will have panned out years from now, today. I think Jordan is going to be an absolute stud. Taylor and Davis have loads of talent; coaching will heavily determine how they pan out, especially Davis. It could be that Jenkins ends up being a starter for years to come...But the Thomas and Gillislee pick look pretty bad as of today. Especially considering you passed up Andre Ellington and Zac Stacy, (both guys I loved), for Gillislee.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Maybe Incognito called them all names.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]