View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Available Coaches *Updated* 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Available Coaches *Updated*
This may be a bit early, but if this Team continues this spiral, there's going to be a lot of talk about a coaching change. I put together a list of potential options in no particular order. Please add a few names as you see fit.

Bill Cowher...............This is the #1 option, but I think he's going the way of Jimmie Johnson.......happy with a more casual life.

Lovie Smith ............Former Bears Coach..........the last time we had a former Bears Coach it set the Program back for years.

Mike Holmgren........after a rough stretch with the Browns, he maybe looking to prove himself again.

Rex Ryan........after a pretty good start.........he may still see his way out the door.

Rob Ryan.......quite an impressive job he's done with the Saint's D.

Jason Garrett........If the Boys don't make the Playoffs, there's a good chance he's out.

Jim Mora Jr.........Former NFL head Coach, has turned the UCLA program around.

Al Golden.............He's done an incredible job with the embattled Canes.

Adam Gase..........Broncos OC, he's young and may need a few more years to prove himself.

Greg Roman..........49ers OC, he's been under Harbough's wing since Stanford.

Last edited by shularino on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:10 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Available Coaches
You forgot the (IMO) 2 best candidates out there. David Shaw, Stanford's Head Coach, and Jon Gruden.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:17 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
You forgot the (IMO) 2 best candidates out there. David Shaw, Stanford's Head Coach, and Jon Gruden.

I did forget David Shaw.....thanks..............however, I didn't forget Jon Gruden.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:19 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Might be a little early for this conversation.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:19 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:

Probably, but I don't think Ross is a patient guy. This team has considerable talent to be playing the way they are. I think Ross learned a lesson with Sparano................he should have gone with his gut............. fired him and made a full court press for Harbough.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:47 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I don't think Philbin is going anywhere. He has the part of being overly prepared.

I think its Sherman that needs to take a hike. He's calling the plays after all. Its Philbin's offense, but Philbin has been making the right calls. I think he's deferring the specifics of play calling to Sherman, and hes been too stubborn to adapt from his 1996 Packers days where Favre just flung it around.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:55 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

shularino wrote:
jammer wrote:

Probably, but I don't think Ross is a patient guy. This team has considerable talent to be playing the way they are. I think Ross learned a lesson with Sparano................he should have gone with his gut............. fired him and made a full court press for Harbough.

If Miami surprises Cincy on Thursday and beats TB they are back over .500.

If the team finishes 9-7 it is an improvement. Heck even 8-8 probably lets Philbin keep his job. The only way I see him gone is if the team melts and the locker room just won't follow the guy.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:03 pm

jammer wrote:
shularino wrote:
jammer wrote:

If Miami surprises Cincy on Thursday and beats TB they are back over .500.

If the team finishes 9-7 it is an improvement. Heck even 8-8 probably lets Philbin keep his job. The only way I see him gone is if the team melts and the locker room just won't follow the guy.

The only way we bet the Bengals on Thursday is a Cincy implosion.

Their D-line against our OL?

Their coaching staff vs ours on a short week?

We're a bad home team, it's a bad match-up, short week....Can't see us winning.

And regardless of the remaining schedule, 3-5 is a tough butt hole to climb out of. Especially when it's 3-5 trending in the wrong direction.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If Miami ends up 3-5 then finishing the season 8-8 or 9-7 is at least a sign that the team made improvements.

I know people are so sick of the QB conversation but that is what it comes down to. If you have a QB you have a chance. So if Miami reaches one of those records it is going to be the result of Tannehill playing better and elevating the talent around him.

If Philbin can go to Ross at the end of the year and show evidence that Tannehill can lead a team to victories then he/Sherman/QB coach who's name escapes me can claim credit. That will be enough to keep their jobs.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:15 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:

:headscratch

Definitely. Unless the Dolphins continue to collapse, I am sure Philben will get another year.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Bengals are the second best team we'll play this year. Their 6-2, winners of their past 4, and have beaten Green Bay, New England and Detroit this year. Per Phins Rock post, this is not a good match-up.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:33 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

I don't want any of those coaches. Rather have a smart coordinater from a great offense like Carmichael in New Orleans.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:39 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Pick the bengals in the survior pool!

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Updated List.........

Bill Cowher...............This is the #1 option, but I think he's going the way of Jimmie Johnson.......happy with a more casual life.

Lovie Smith ............Former Bears Coach..........the last time we had a former Bears Coach it set the Program back for years.

Mike Holmgren........after a rough stretch with the Browns, he maybe looking to prove himself again.

Jon Gruden..........hasn't coached in 5 years, despite showing a strong desire to return.

Rex Ryan........after a pretty good start.........he may still see his way out the door.

Jason Garrett........If the Boys don't make the Playoffs, there's a good chance he's out.

Mike Zimmer..........D Cord for Bengals, regarded as one the best Cords in the League.

David Shaw.......Stanford Alumni & HC, won the Pac 12 last year & has NFL experience

Adam Gase..........Broncos OC, he's young and may need a few more years to prove himself.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:41 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Available Coaches *Updated*
Gonna get a look tonight at one of the best up-and-comers in Mike Zimmer.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

MNDolfan wrote:

He's a Defensive Coordinator.............goes against Ross' dream of having a high flying offense.

I think Jim Mora Jr. will be a NFL HC next year.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:48 pm

shularino wrote:
MNDolfan wrote:

He's a Defensive Coordinator.............goes against Ross' dream of having a high flying offense.

I think Jim Mora Jr. will be a NFL HC next year.

Steve Sarkisian could get a shot. Might be a year or two early for him though.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If we're really going down this road Ross and a new GM have to consider a few things:

You will have a 3rd year QB who has shown some good things but has flaws. Do you want to build with him and design an offense for him?

You've invested serious money into Wallace and Hartline. Are you sticking with them or going after an Alpha receiver ala Brandon Marshall again.

You had a physical offense for years (see above comment) so are you going to get a complete running back behind a tough o-line and commit to that offense? Or is this another high flying approach?

You have some very good players on defense but your top 3 DTs are on short time? Do you re-sign them? Do you target draft picks to replace them? Do you go 3-4?

Without getting any more long winded, the point is that there is talent to work with here. Do you use it and build on it or do you hit the reset button, take the cap hits, and cleanse the roster to your liking. Which coaches will do that versus which will build on what is already in Miami?

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sarkisian needs to show he can do it in College, before he gets a shot in the NFL. The Huskies haven't exactly been tearing it up during his tenure.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:23 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Add Marino. He's a fiery leader that would instantly bring an attitude to a struggling franchise.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:26 pm

shularino wrote:
Sarkisian needs to show he can do it in College, before he gets a shot in the NFL. The Huskies haven't exactly been tearing it up during his tenure.

He's taken a broken program and turned it into a respectable one that was ranked 15th in the country at one point this season.

Like I said, a year or two too early, but he's coming up.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:28 pm

Stay away from college. That's a tough transition. Carroll had previous NFL experience and knew what he was getting into. There are very few coaches who make the leap successfully and that is proven over time.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If Tannehill has a string of good games all of this talk goes away.

Ron Rivera was on the hot seat. Cam Newton puts together a nice little streak of good numbers and all of a sudden people like Carolina's chances.

Over the next 4 games Tannehill needs 7 TD passes and no more than a total of 3 turnovers. That will lead to at least 3 wins and suddenly Philbin is off the hot seat.

POSITION THE FREAKIN' KID TO WIN!!! Roll him out, use the run game all 4 quarters, rely on quick throws that aren't slants into traffic.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
shularino wrote:

He's taken a broken program and turned it into a respectable one that was ranked 15th in the country at one point this season.

Like I said, a year or two too early, but he's coming up.

Fair enough.........I'll keep my eye on him. He does have a different style, speaks his mind to the media. He even has a twitter account.

https://twitter.com/CoachSark

Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Which coach candidate is a disciplinarian.......no-nonsense style of coach. This team needs that now. I know the Giants hated Coughlin....and might fire him this year despite 2 SB wins, but his hard approach did produce dividends.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Added Mike Shula and Bill O'Brien

Mike Shula.....certainly has the pedigree, now OC for Carolina.

Bill O'Brien......He's done an admirable job for sanctioned Penn State......former OC for New England.

Jon Gruden..........hasn't coached in 5 years, despite showing a strong desire to return.

Mike Zimmer..........D Cord for Bengals, regarded as one the best Cords in the League.

David Shaw.......Stanford Alumni & HC, won the Pac 12 last year & has NFL experience

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:27 pm

No Jay Gruden on that list?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Nobody in this thread has mentioned a name that exactly excites me.
I'd take Craig Bohl from NDSU. The guy has taken a team located in not exactly one of the most popular destinations in the United States, and produced a perennial power in the FCS. I say this tongue-in-cheek mostly, but we do need someone that has a firm grip on team discipline without being a control freak/anger management issues, and a good eye towards talent.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
No Jay Gruden on that list?

Sure we can add Jay Gruden...........not sure I would put him on the short list though. I would think you look more closely at Mike Zimmer..........the Bengals' strength is the D.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:56 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I actually like Rob Ryan on that list the best! That being said, I dont think you can bring in Sexy Rexy's brother and not act like you are bringing in the circus. Any other team in the league could take Ryan, but if Miami or Buffalo took him, all of a sudden it will be controversy, and the Ryan Bowl will dominate the season and be the elephant in the room.

What about Charlie Strong? Just throwing this one out there. Louisville always has a very unique and dangerous offense. He groomed Bridgewater who is probably the most NFL ready QB on the market. Has a good knack for the game. Groomed a good defense. Recruited well. And most importantly, DOESNT WILT IN THE BIG GAME (i can say, first hand, down 14 at rutgers last season, stormed back and beat my beloved knights). Manhandled Florida in the Sugarbowl..... You can't win them all, and UCF is actually pretty darn good, But I like his attitude, and might make an interesting candidate.
What's best, minority candidate..... not being racial, but we all know the Rooney rule here, and everyone interviews the same 2 or 3 recycled african coachs just to appease it before they go where they really wanted to go anyways. This would be an interesting minority candidate that maybe a diamond in the rough.

Furthermore, I dont think Philbin is getting the axe. I think Sherman will, and we will be looking for a new OC.... So what good OC's are out there that know the West Coast well enough to mesh with Philbin? Childress might be an option (he did coach an NFC North team) so maybe Philbin sees some common ground there....

And more importantly, who will replace Ireland. I can almost bet any dollar that Ireland is gone in the next 2 months. Ross' interview was calculated, and had to be well advised. Omitting any praise for Ireland is the writing on the wall..

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think Ross saw this as more of Philbin's issue. Team conduct and locker room practices are the ultimate responsibility of the Coach. Tom Garfinkel, Dolphins CEO said he, Ireland, Philbin and vice president Dawn Aponte have formed a committee to ensure "standards are being enforced" in the organization.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:
I think Ross saw this as more of Philbin's issue. Team conduct and locker room practices are the ultimate responsibility of the Coach. Tom Garfinkel, Dolphins CEO said he, Ireland, Philbin and vice president Dawn Aponte have formed a committee to ensure "standards are being enforced" in the organization.

Dawn Aponte needs to go bye-bye. The more Salguero writes about her, the more I want her gone.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

MNDolfan wrote:
shularino wrote:

Dawn Aponte needs to go bye-bye. The more Salguero writes about her, the more I want her gone.

Agreed...........whoever the Coach is.......she'll make them look ridiculous.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

How about a Kevin Sumlin-Johnny Manziel reunion in Miami next season??

Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Rob Ryan anyone?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Rob Ryan anyone?

Rob Ryan could very well be a HC next year, but after the fiasco the Phins have gone through, I think Ross is looking for someone more straight laced.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

David Shaw, Stanford's Head Coach already came out this week publicly and said he has ZERO INTEREST like Saban NOT to get into the NFL as a Head Coach, so you can scratch him off that list.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:38 pm

I want to stay with a head coach with an offensive background.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:38 pm

swerve13 wrote:
I want to stay with a head coach with an offensive background.

Last 10 Super Bowl winners:

Harbaugh - Special Teams
Coughlin - Defense
McCarthy - Offense
Payton - Offense
Tomlin- Defense
Coughlin - Defense
Dungy - Defense
Cowher - Defense
Bellichick - Defense

Not saying you should go defense, but my point is I don't care what they're background as a coordinator is. I want someone who is a leader of men, can build a good staff, and is aggressive with how he utilizes his weaponry on both sides.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Marino... he's the kind of a-hole that can do it lol. I mean it's the HC, not a coordinator or GM... He can do it.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next