View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:48 pm



Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
 OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game." 
Author Message
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 9333
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
:hithead:

Armando Salguero wrote:
Indeed after left tackle Tyson Clabo gave up two more sacks Sunday, bringing this season’s total to eight, offensive line coach Jim Turner was heard saying Clabo, “played a great football game.”


Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/21/3 ... rylink=cpy

Quote:
This news comes one day after OL coach Jim Turner claimed Clabo "played a great football game" in Sunday's Week 7 loss to Buffalo, despite getting manhandled by Bills LE Mario Williams. Clabo has been the NFL's single worst offensive tackle through six games, according to Pro Football Focus' grades. He's been exposed as just another blunder amid GM Jeff Ireland's sputtering master plan to build an NFL team through free agency. The Dolphins have dropped three straight games since a fluky 0-3 start, and head to New England in Week 8.


http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3095/tyson-clabo

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:38 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21972
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
2 sacks and 7 pressures... he played a great game of matador.

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:39 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4673
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
Turner can go back to the college ranks with Sherman as far as I am concerned.. Saying that is a great performance speaks volumes for his expectations of a player..

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:17 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 6198
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
Ask Tannehill and the running backs if they thought it was a great game.


Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:04 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1388
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
I wonder if Turner gave him a participation award?

Wow, their expectations for Clabo must be really low. I'm not blaming Clabo, I think he's doing the best he can..............he's just not good. The coaching staff had 2 weeks to evaluate this and for 3 quarters it looked like they had done their job, but in the most critical part of the game they completely failed.

If Clabo truly is the best RT we can find, then he better have help.


Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:30 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 6198
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
shularino wrote:
I wonder if Turner gave him a participation award?

Wow, their expectations for Clabo must be really low. I'm not blaming Clabo, I think he's doing the best he can..............he's just not good. The coaching staff had 2 weeks to evaluate this and for 3 quarters it looked like they had done their job, but in the most critical part of the game they completely failed.

If Clabo truly is the best RT we can find, then he better have help.


It does seem like they almost tried to fake out Buffalo in the 4th quarter by going back to vanilla. Problem is the personnel is not good enough to execute that versus a good pass rush.


Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:51 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6561
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
10acjed wrote:
Turner can go back to the college ranks with Sherman as far as I am concerned.. Saying that is a great performance speaks volumes for his expectations of a player..


I was thinkin the same. Time for these 2 characters to be relieved.


Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:31 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6114
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
Hopefully Turner is just trying to motivate Clabo until McKinnie gets up to speed. If he is serious, then he is the problem


Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:39 pm
Profile
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 4729
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
Armando Salguero wrote:
Indeed after left tackle Tyson Clabo gave up two more sacks Sunday, bringing this season’s total to eight, offensive line coach Jim Turner was heard saying Clabo, “played a great football game.”

Now we know why the OL is not very good. The coach is ignorant.


Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:47 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am
Posts: 1376
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
Rich wrote:
2 sacks and 7 pressures... he played a great game of matador.


Well said Rich. A turnstile would have been more effective.

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:14 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4997
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
I am sorry but since Turner has been the Miami Dolphins offensive line coach it seems as the quality and schemes have done SQUAT to help this team. Yeah he comes across as an outgoing motivator, but production and results are not there.

Does anyone know who John Sandusky's assistant offensive line coach was back during the Marino days??? We need SOMEONE to come in and replace this clown and get the line straightened out.


Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:41 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6114
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
question: You're the coach. Your team has a 1 point lead and a 2nd and 8 on the opponents 45yd line. There's 3 minutes left in the game. You're going to call a pass. To the QB's rigth are two key people. Mario Williams (quite possibly the best DE in the league) and Tyson Clabo (quite possibly the worst tackle in the league).... Do you ...
1. Ignore it..my guys need to do their jobs.
2. Chip him with a back
3. Line a TE up over him and keep the TE in to help.


Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:18 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 9333
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
NFLJunkie wrote:
question: You're the coach. Your team has a 1 point lead and a 2nd and 8 on the opponents 45yd line. There's 3 minutes left in the game. You're going to call a pass. To the QB's rigth are two key people. Mario Williams (quite possibly the best DE in the league) and Tyson Clabo (quite possibly the worst tackle in the league).... Do you ...
1. Ignore it..my guys need to do their jobs.
2. Chip him with a back
3. Line a TE up over him and keep the TE in to help.



Correct me if I am wrong, but Tannehill had the option to run or pass on that play depending on how the defense lined up. He chose pass.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:05 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3755
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
Big Dave wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
question: You're the coach. Your team has a 1 point lead and a 2nd and 8 on the opponents 45yd line. There's 3 minutes left in the game. You're going to call a pass. To the QB's rigth are two key people. Mario Williams (quite possibly the best DE in the league) and Tyson Clabo (quite possibly the worst tackle in the league).... Do you ...
1. Ignore it..my guys need to do their jobs.
2. Chip him with a back
3. Line a TE up over him and keep the TE in to help.



Correct me if I am wrong, but Tannehill had the option to run or pass on that play depending on how the defense lined up. He chose pass.


The coaches backed Tannehill up said he made the right call in their offensive philosophy. He missed the guy out of the backfield who looked open to me and of course the pocket collapsed. Can he change the protection schemes? I don't know.


Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:13 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6114
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
Okay, so yes RT had a run or pass play and he checked off to the pass. But as the coach if you give your young QB that option, you have to make sure you have a plan for the check off to a pass..right? If your plan on a pass play is Tyson...you stop Mario...then you shouldn't be coaching in the NFL.


Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:24 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6114
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
Clay was in the slot and had a step on the LB a moment before RT fumbled. RT was waiting for Hartline to go into his break. Clay should've been the hot read on that.


Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:26 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 6198
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
As I understand it Tannehill didn't really have a choice but rather if the defense lines up as A you pass, B you run. He executed the play as designed.

If and why he missed an open receiver I cannot answer.

Another thing to consider was that D Thomas was blown up on that play and Tannehill would have been sacked anyway. Maybe not fumble, but sacked.

If you kept Clay in to help Clabo you no longer have that potential open receiver option and Tannehill is sacked anyway from the left.

My conclusion is that it was just a bad play call. A play action roll out would have given Tannehill more time and the options to either throw or run. But hindsight is 20/20.


Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:29 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3755
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
Quote:
Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly

Biggest problem I have with Joe Philbin and his staff is that solutions to problems aren't coming fast enough, if at all.


https://twitter.com/OmarKelly


Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:54 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6114
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
jammer wrote:
As I understand it Tannehill didn't really have a choice but rather if the defense lines up as A you pass, B you run. He executed the play as designed.

If and why he missed an open receiver I cannot answer.

Another thing to consider was that D Thomas was blown up on that play and Tannehill would have been sacked anyway. Maybe not fumble, but sacked.

If you kept Clay in to help Clabo you no longer have that potential open receiver option and Tannehill is sacked anyway from the left.

My conclusion is that it was just a bad play call. A play action roll out would have given Tannehill more time and the options to either throw or run. But hindsight is 20/20.



The Bills had the roll out covered all game. Go watch the tape. Had RT improvised and scrambled out of the pocket he could've made a play. If he fired it quickly after 3 steps to clay, it was a big play. Miami was in a 2 WR formation with Clay in the slot. The Bills were sending 7 guys and it was evident before the snap. You've got 3 guys manned up, Wallace, Hartline and Clay. Only one safety deep. RT has to know he's only got a second to make this pass. Thomas got blew up but RT held the ball while Hartline tried to run a 10yd comeback. Clay was open 2yds off the LOS. RT has to know that it his hot read.


Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:32 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4997
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
It is easy to sit back and criticize Tannehill's reads and what he should have done, but during the game time moment, he see's different things in coverages than us peanut gallery fans see.

Tannehill doesn't see the field like a Brady, Brees or Rodgers "yet" and there is a reason for that and it is called "experience"....he has the attributes and hopefully he will get there.


Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:50 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3194
Location: MA.
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
NFLJunkie wrote:
Clay was in the slot and had a step on the LB a moment before RT fumbled. RT was waiting for Hartline to go into his break. Clay should've been the hot read on that.


i'm not seeing much hot read stuff out of this guy....which is a huge part of the problem....


Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:47 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3194
Location: MA.
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
Finhead34 wrote:
It is easy to sit back and criticize Tannehill's reads and what he should have done, but during the game time moment, he see's different things in coverages than us peanut gallery fans see.

Tannehill doesn't see the field like a Brady, Brees or Rodgers "yet" and there is a reason for that and it is called "experience"....he has the attributes and hopefully he will get there.


that would be a preperation problem in my book......he is well into his second year now..excuses are less effective.....he has been an nfl qb for 24/7 for 2 years


Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:52 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 6198
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
NFLJunkie wrote:
The Bills had the roll out covered all game. Go watch the tape. Had RT improvised and scrambled out of the pocket he could've made a play. If he fired it quickly after 3 steps to clay, it was a big play. Miami was in a 2 WR formation with Clay in the slot. The Bills were sending 7 guys and it was evident before the snap. You've got 3 guys manned up, Wallace, Hartline and Clay. Only one safety deep. RT has to know he's only got a second to make this pass. Thomas got blew up but RT held the ball while Hartline tried to run a 10yd comeback. Clay was open 2yds off the LOS. RT has to know that it his hot read.


Just watched the video. Tannehill has a LB spying him and cutting off a quick throw to Clay. He'd have to lob it over and trust Clay would be there. He already had two defenders on top of him by the time he could do what you are suggesting.

He could have rolled out to the right and taken off or would have a better vision of Clay sprinting up field.


Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:06 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6114
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
jammer wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
The Bills had the roll out covered all game. Go watch the tape. Had RT improvised and scrambled out of the pocket he could've made a play. If he fired it quickly after 3 steps to clay, it was a big play. Miami was in a 2 WR formation with Clay in the slot. The Bills were sending 7 guys and it was evident before the snap. You've got 3 guys manned up, Wallace, Hartline and Clay. Only one safety deep. RT has to know he's only got a second to make this pass. Thomas got blew up but RT held the ball while Hartline tried to run a 10yd comeback. Clay was open 2yds off the LOS. RT has to know that it his hot read.


Just watched the video. Tannehill has a LB spying him and cutting off a quick throw to Clay. He'd have to lob it over and trust Clay would be there. He already had two defenders on top of him by the time he could do what you are suggesting.

He could have rolled out to the right and taken off or would have a better vision of Clay sprinting up field.


The pass could have been on a line, just high enough to lead Clay. The LB was a step behind Clay and never chucked him at the LOS. It was easly 10-20yds if RT makes the throw. What you're arguing is waiting for Hartline to clear was the correct call. Hindsight makes that wrong. Clay was the only option, RT never looked at him. He was locked onto Hartline the whole way.


Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:17 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6114
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
Image

This is certainly monday morning QBing but he has to see this pressure. 7 guys on the LOS. The one LB is a yard to the left and a yard behind a streaking Clay. If RT throws this, it is at worst an incompletion. But he's locked on and doesn't feel the pressure.


Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:27 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6114
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
BTW..Clay turns his head at the 47 and has the step I'm talking about on the LB. The only guy that could've affected the throw was alonzo and he would've had to time a jump to bat down a quick pass.


Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:29 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 6198
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
NFLJunkie wrote:
The pass could have been on a line, just high enough to lead Clay. The LB was a step behind Clay and never chucked him at the LOS. It was easly 10-20yds if RT makes the throw. What you're arguing is waiting for Hartline to clear was the correct call. Hindsight makes that wrong. Clay was the only option, RT never looked at him. He was locked onto Hartline the whole way.


I don't think waiting for Hartline was necessarily the correct call. I'm just not sure Tannehill saw Clay that well. I think the linebacker or safety to Clay's right slid more to the middle blocking Tannehill's vision. In that situation you could be right that throwing the guy open was the correct move. I'm arguing that if he rolled out it may have given him time to see Clay better, allow Hartline to finish the route or take off to the right for a good run.

Your point about him locking on to targets is valid. It has been a concern since last year.


Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:48 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3978
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
We are talking about the same QB who has more TD passes than Brady. Cut him some slack.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6114
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
You're right Finesse. He's a solid young QB. Great short to mid-range accuracy. I just hope Sherman doesn't turn him into David Carr. I was just breaking down that last play. The Bills hadn't sent 7 guys the entire game but they did on that play.


Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:40 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4997
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: OL Coach Jim Turner: "Clabo played a great football game."
I don't think waiting for Hartline was necessarily the correct call. I'm just not sure Tannehill saw Clay that well. I think the linebacker or safety to Clay's right slid more to the middle blocking Tannehill's vision. In that situation you could be right that throwing the guy open was the correct move. I'm arguing that if he rolled out it may have given him time to see Clay better, allow Hartline to finish the route or take off to the right for a good run.

Your point about him locking on to targets is valid. It has been a concern since last year.


I agree Jammer. Sure the throw to Clay looks like the right throw in a still shot, but we realistically DON'T know what Tannehill saw on that play and to suggest he never looked at Clay is hard to detect when I watched the reply. Yes, he looked Hartline's way, but he also started scanning the middle IMO. That linebacker was probably the one that could have disrupted a pass to Clay and those lineman were coming fast and hard at Tanny. He would have had to had the IMMEDIATE lock on Clay and throw a picture perfect touch pass and threaded it over in order for that to have been successful, but I just think the line broke down so quickly and was indecisive where to throw because of the pressure.


Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:24 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Phinsforever and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.