View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Five Adjustments the Miami Dolphins Should Make 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Five Adjustments the Miami Dolphins Should Make
Quote:
By
Chris Kouffman
(Featured Columnist) on October 18, 2013

More Play Action on First Down

The Miami Dolphins have a problem on first down, and more play-action passes could be part of the solution. ...

The real reason the Dolphins rank low on first down is because the passing game on first down is not aggressive enough. Referring back to the data from Pro Football Reference, among the 30 quarterbacks with at least 40 throw attempts on first down, Tannehill’s average yards per completion ranks second to last.

Play-action passes tend to be more aggressive in nature. For example, using data gathered by Pro Football Focus (subscription required), we see that quarterback average yards per completion on play-action passes in 2013 is approximately 13.4 yards versus the average on non play-action passes of approximately 11.4 yards.

Tannehill is particularly effective on play-action passes. In 2012, he had the second-highest passer rating on play-action passes among qualified quarterbacks. Though his ranking has fallen to 10th in the league in 2013, he still has a 108.8 passer rating on play-action passes.

More Runs on Second Down

the Dolphins have only run the football approximately 31 percent of second downs. The league has averaged approximately 42 percent running on second down, which means the Dolphins rank No. 31 in commitment to running the ball on second down. ...

If Miami is going to show aggressiveness in the passing game, they may be better off doing so on first down as opposed to second down. A negative result on first down would give the team a chance on second down to make up some yardage in order to try and get back on schedule for third down.

it might be wise to balance out the aggressiveness with more run plays on second down.

More Read-Option Plays

The Miami Dolphins talked a little bit during the offseason about running more read-option plays on offense. However, the talk did not translate onto the field during the first five games.

The most perplexing aspect of the lack of read-option play-calls for the Dolphins offense is the wild success enjoyed on the occasions when the team did make use of the run technique.

Replace Daniel Thomas with Marcus Thigpen

The Dolphins need to think outside the box with Marcus Thigpen. The coaching staff seems stuck on the idea that the player they rotate with Lamar Miller must be an accomplished blocker.

The 50-yard gain on third down shows exactly why this is not the case. Instead of having the back stay in to block the extra pass-rusher, the Dolphins sent him out for a quick pass that challenged the defense.

The Saints have been using Darren Sproles in this manner for years. They do not obsess with his prowess as a blocker. They utilize his pass-catching prowess as a means of keeping quarterback Drew Brees’ jersey clean.

Get Dion Jordan More Involved

It is now time for the Miami Dolphins to take rookie defensive end Dion Jordan out of his plastic wrap and allow him to get dirty. ...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1815 ... hould-make

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:54 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Five Adjustments the Miami Dolphins Should Make
Seems reasonable. I thought Thomas did a nice job running the ball in the first half. I like Thigpen as a receiving option but the line has proven several times they cannot block well on designed screens.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:09 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I hate the read option with RT. The guy is an accurate passer, let him play to that strength. Here's the changes I'd make on offense. I'd place a TE over the top of the defenses best pass rusher. Probably over Clabo's side for the time being. His primary responsibility will be to neutralize the pass rush. Secondly, Thomas would never see another dump off or screen pass. Period. I see it at least once a game and I see where he just doesn't have the speed to make the play happen.
There is one more thing I'd like to see happen. I've got no statistical proof, but it sure seems to me the 2 minute offense is awesome. So why not have RT run the 2 minute drill several times during the game to mix things up.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
There is one more thing I'd like to see happen. I've got no statistical proof, but it sure seems to me the 2 minute offense is awesome. So why not have RT run the 2 minute drill several times during the game to mix things up.

Its a good idea but I'd only do it if the defense gets a 3 and out or a quick turnover. You don't want them gassed and then back on the field quickly.

But yeah, Tannehill does well on 2 minute drives out of the shotgun.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I love play action passes. But they don't work if you don't have a reliable running game and they really don't work if you can't protect the quarterback -- two things that have been problematic for Miami this season.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:56 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Replace Daniel Thomas with Marcus Thigpen

I don't get that one. I would like to see Thigpen get more passes his way out of the backfield or in the receiver slot. He's shown himself to be a playmaker on special teams. Why not try to get him a pass in the open field (a complaint we've had with Sherman that goes back to last year with Bush).

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]