View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Rumor: Lions seriously considering trade for Ronnie Brown 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Rumor: Lions seriously considering trade for Ronnie Brown
Bleacher Report, so, consider the source on this one.

Quote:
The Detroit Lions are Seriously Considering Trading for Dolphins RB Ronnie Brown
by Ryan Steck

According to multiple media sources, the Detroit Lions are actively talking to Miami about a trade for running back Ronnie Brown.

I can confirm that news tonight.

I just talked to a good source of mine, and according to them Detroit is talking very seriously about trying to put together a deal that would land them the Dolphins starting running back.

I was told Detroit was looking into Bills running back Marshawn Lynch, but ultimalty wasn't willing to give up their second-round draft pick, which is Buffalo's current asking price, to get him.

While that is rumored to be the same asking price for Brown, the Lions feel more comfortable with the former Auburn star. One person lobbying for him is Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. Linehan was the coordinator for Miami in 2005 when Brown was drafted.

I'm hearing that Detroit won't make any moves until the draft, and will only try to put together a package for Brown if they don't like any of the players available when their pick is up. The package would likely include a pick from this year, and possibly next year as well.

Miami just gave up this years second-round pick, and next years, to acquire wide receiver Brandon Marshal from the Denver Broncos. They are looking to add draft picks, and just traded wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr to the 49ers Today. It is being reported that the Dolphins will receive this years 49ers fifth-round draft choice in return.

To be clear, I'm being told that the Lions would still much rather draft a young starting caliber back for the future, in next weeks NFL Draft. They don't view Brown, who will turn 29 in December, as a long-term solution.

Unless the Bills lower their asking price, it seems that right now the Lions are much more likely to make a play for Brown if a trade does go down.

This is just one more thing to watch as the draft approaches.

One way or another, Detroit will add a starting running back yet this off-season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3797 ... roit_Lions

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:01 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Rumor: Lions seriously considering trade for Ronnie Brown
Unless Miami has a big trick up their sleeve, I am not sure we trade away Ronnie Brown. When healthy, he throws another off balance wrinkle with the wildcat and power running football, which is what Sparano and Parcells likes. If Ronnie does get traded, Ricky Williams becomes our featured back and then Cobbs/Hillard and young draft pick.

However, if Detroit coughs up a number two pick......I can see that Miami would possibly jump at that trade.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:09 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'm tired of these rumors and they piss me off.

Trading Ronnie Brown away is stupid. Trading for a 2nd round pick? What is the point of that? You lose Miami's best offensive player and your running game takes a huge hit. The reward? You get a "player" who may or may not (prob not) be as good as Ronnie.

The addition of Marshall set up our offsense. We have our running game and now we can chuck the ball when needed. Concentrate on defense. Getting rid of Brown adds another hole to our team.

These rumors really piss me off.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:17 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Unless they can get away with something else than their 2nd round pick I dont' see them spending a 34 overall pick for a 29 year old injury plagued running back. Honestly I'd take Lynch, even though I'm not a fan.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Chris Mortenson has said that he doubts that this is valid.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:43 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I hope these are all only rumors as I want Ronnie to stay in Miami. Injuries are just a part of the game and he has had some unfortunate things happen to him, but when he is healthy, he is a top running back in the NFL, not near the best, but plenty good enough.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:51 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

we acquired a 26 year old and arguably top 3 wr coming off of three consecutive 100 reception seasons for a second this year and a second next year. ronnie brown isnt even a top 10 rb in the league due to his injury history, imo. although i tend to believe mort more, i would do it (but i would hope to get a later pick also). let's face it, he is injury prone and not getting any younger at a position where age is important. this would make me ponder our draft situation though. maybe the FO really likes cj spiller, and would draft our defensive needs in the later rounds. who knows

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

1984phins wrote:

Trading Ronnie Brown away is stupid. Trading for a 2nd round pick? What is the point of that? You lose Miami's best offensive player and your running game takes a huge hit. The reward? You get a "player" who may or may not (prob not) be as good as Ronnie.

The addition of Marshall set up our offsense. We have our running game and now we can chuck the ball when needed. Concentrate on defense. Getting rid of Brown adds another hole to our team.

You either lose Brown next year and get nothing in return or you lose him this year and get something in return.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:51 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

That is a good point Rich, I forgot about him being in the last year of his contract.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Finhead wrote:
That is a good point Rich, I forgot about him being in the last year of his contract.

I think thats why they are shopping him around

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:03 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
1984phins wrote:

You either lose Brown next year and get nothing in return or you lose him this year and get something in return.

Or you re-sign him. You get a younger guy in 2011 who eventually takes Ronnie's place (in either 2012 or 2013 depending on health) and then Ronnie Brown assumes the role Ricky Williams currently has with the team.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:56 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

1984phins wrote:
Rich wrote:
1984phins wrote:

Or you re-sign him. You get a younger guy in 2011 who eventually takes Ronnie's place (in either 2012 or 2013 depending on health) and then Ronnie Brown assumes the role Ricky Williams currently has with the team.

Thats what i would do for the right price of course but if ya do that and ya dont re-sign him or he leaves then we screwed ourselves! i mean im the biggest Ronnie mark there is and will kill me too see him leave cause it would be a step back when we are trying to win now but I dont wanna just loose him to NE! and i know how this goes it will be NE! anyway whatever we do it has to be a home run no room for error, if we trade him

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:14 pm

1984phins wrote:
Rich wrote:
1984phins wrote:

I don't see the wisdom in resigning a 29 year old running back who misses time due to injury every year.

I love Ronnie, but I think it may be time to move on.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:08 pm

I disagree Rich. Unless you are in complete rebuilding mode, you do not trade your best player.

Ronnie has been the man in Miami for years...through the good and the bad. I'm completely with 1984. It would be senseless to create another hole on the roster just for the sake of acquiring another draft pick.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
I disagree Rich. Unless you are in complete rebuilding mode, you do not trade your best player.

Ronnie has been the man in Miami for years...through the good and the bad. I'm completely with 1984. It would be senseless to create another hole on the roster just for the sake of acquiring another draft pick.

Ronnie is no longer our best player.

And he wasn't anything more than a guy who got picked too high for his production in Miami until the Wildcat came around.

You seriously overvalue him and the running back position.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:14 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

If we trade Brown I hope we get a 2nd rounder for him, if not I hope we keep him.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:18 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

nbrewer22 wrote:
If we trade Brown I hope we get a 2nd rounder for him, if not I hope we keep him.

Problem is; Who is our feature back? Ricky still has tread but not as a feature back for a full season

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

And he wasn't anything more than a guy who got picked too high for his production in Miami until the Wildcat came around.

Does it really make a difference whether he is 1 or 2 on the team? He is still a hell of a player, and personafies what Miami is trying to do offensively. You are not going to find a RB of his caliber that fits our offense the way he does very easily.

Throughout his entire career Miami has given him zero help as far as an offensive line and WR. He now finally has both of those things, along with a QB whose arm can scare defenses, and you want to get rid of him?

You can get good RB's all throughout the draft; I realize that. But how many are going to come in and do what Ronnie can do, if any?

I think you will be able to resign Brown next off season. You can draft one next year to compliment or split 50-50 with Ronnie, and move from there. But you do not get better by trading your best players, (again, unless you're in a complete 1990's Cowboy's type rebuilding mode).

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:25 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I agree with Phins Rock. We'll have to agree to disagree, Rich.

Miami had something when they had Ronnie, Ricky, and Henne last year. Once we lost Ronnie, Ricky was ok for a few games, then lost a few steps (as well as the ball).

We added Marshall, Dansby, and our CBs should keep developing. We can make a run in 2010. We really can.

We can't make a run if we trade Ronnie Brown.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:33 pm

Exactly 1984. Miami has done such a great job so far of taking steps towards being a contender in 2010, that now they are going to take a step back by trading Ronnie??

Just doesn't make sense.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Exactly 1984. Miami has done such a great job so far of taking steps towards being a contender in 2010, that now they are going to take a step back by trading Ronnie??

Just doesn't make sense.

It does make sense, you just have to seperate emotion from reality. If your passing attack makes the jump they assume it will make with the addition of Marshall and more seasoning for Henne you will not have to lean on your running backs as much. Why pay a 29 yr old back 5 million and resign him for that much per year when you can use those resources to fill other major needs? Like Rich said, why not get something for him now while you can? How do you know the guy they draft won't be as valuable if not more than Brown?

Looking at this from a fan's perspective will cause you to overvalue Brown. One thing this management team will not do is overvalue for past performance. Ronnie in the Wildcat works great for a few games per year, then people figure it out and its shutdown. He has great games and then dud games. Plenty of backs have duplicated or exceeded his performances in the last few years, and they werent all top 5 or even first round picks.

Maybe its just coincidence, but it was said that days before Ginn was dealt his jersey was slashed in price at the pro shop. Same thing just happened to Brown's jersey according to Salguero. I personally think they have a deal in place and are just waiting to see if something better comes along at the last minute.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:04 pm

The passing attack will be as good as it is because of how good the run game is. If we trade Ronnie, we go from having the best rushing attack in the NFL to having an above average one, and all of a sudden teams do not have to stack the box. With Ronnie you not only have a great passing attack but a running game that will make our offense unstopable.

Who are you going to get in the 3rd round that can contribute as much as Ronnie?

Also, if you trade Ronnie, whether Lex or a rookie comes in and takes carries away from him, you are going to be counting on a 33 year old runningback to be your featured guy.

Maybe if we were talking about a first round pick, but, otherwise...no thanks.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:16 pm

I don't even think Ronnie is the 2nd best player on this team.

What is the point of resigning a guy who isn't going to be available if you make the playoffs?

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:16 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:

What is the point of resigning a guy who isn't going to be available if you make the playoffs?

You have a crystal ball?

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:22 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Just doesn't make sense.

It does make sense, you just have to seperate emotion from reality.

Reality as you see it. My reality has Ronnie Brown being the most important piece on offense besides Henne.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:24 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
The passing attack will be as good as it is because of how good the run game is. If we trade Ronnie, we go from having the best rushing attack in the NFL to having an above average one, and all of a sudden teams do not have to stack the box. With Ronnie you not only have a great passing attack but a running game that will make our offense unstopable.

Who are you going to get in the 3rd round that can contribute as much as Ronnie?

Also, if you trade Ronnie, whether Lex or a rookie comes in and takes carries away from him, you are going to be counting on a 33 year old runningback to be your featured guy.

Maybe if we were talking about a first round pick, but, otherwise...no thanks.

we do not have the best rushing attack in the nfl. we dont even have the best in the afc.

i believe the stated price for ronnie was also a 2nd rounder at the least.

and i would rather count on a 33 year old rb to carry the load instead of a guy who consistently gets injured every year.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

1984, Phins Rock, and Rich. I think you r all making incredibly valid points. This is an extremely tough decision for a fan, because of the huge emotional ties with Ronnie. Unfortunately, it's a business and the FO personnel don't get paid to be emotional. So, as far as a business perspective I'll have to side with Rich. They want someone that will contribute in the playoffs on the field not on the sideline. Ronnie has had some freak injuries, but they did occur and kept him sidelined. As a fan though I want to keep him, but if it's going to benefit the franchise I will have to learn to deal with it.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:28 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

1984phins wrote:
Rich wrote:

You have a crystal ball?

You have to admit, the history there is not good....

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:31 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

rhoads30 wrote:
and i would rather count on a 33 year old rb to carry the load instead of a guy who consistently gets injured every year.

Let's see. As the featured back:

December for Ricky Williams: Averaged 3.6 yards per carry. 4 Fumbles.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:32 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The Hen wrote:
1984phins wrote:
Rich wrote:

You have a crystal ball?

You have to admit, the history there is not good....

Ronnie Brown hasn't missed a playoff game for the Dolphins.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:37 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

1984phins wrote:
rhoads30 wrote:

Let's see. As the featured back:

December for Ricky Williams: Averaged 3.6 yards per carry. 4 Fumbles.

and ronnie brown was even better...0 carries, and plenty of splinters on his butt from riding the pine.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:41 pm
Profile WWW

How many complete seasons has Ronnie played since being drafted?

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:43 pm
Profile YIM
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

1984phins wrote:
jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Just doesn't make sense.

It does make sense, you just have to seperate emotion from reality.

Reality as you see it. My reality has Ronnie Brown being the most important piece on offense besides Henne.

Whether you like it or not, reality for the brass is that they do not value Brown the way you and other fans do and they take emotions out of their decisions. He is expendable and his role can be filled by someone else. He has had 5 seasons to prove he can carry the load, he hasn't done it. 5 or 6 good games in the last two years isnt going to convince them of much.

You guys think Brown carried this team consistently on offense? His Pro Bowl 08 season was the result of the first few games the Wildcat was in effect and no one being able to figure it out that quickly. Last year he had a few good games but Williams was putting up as good or better numbers. Miami can get a part time back, via draft, FA, or trade, who can learn the Wildcat and keep Williams fresh.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:47 pm

If Miami trades Ronnie that will ruin draft weekend for me. But I've stated my case and I will leave it at that.

For the sake of the argument though, let's say Miami does trade Brown. Who are you guys looking at?

For me, it would have to be Auburn's Ben Tate. To me, he is the best RB in the draft and fits Miami's style real well. He's a one cut and go type of a guy with a lot of speed, quickness, shiftiness, and burst of speed with power through the hole. He's very similar to Ronnie; not as complete a back, but running wise he is very similar.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

1984phins wrote:

Ronnie Brown hasn't missed a playoff game for the Dolphins.

:)

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:10 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Id rather have Dixon the RB from Miss St. He is a similar back to Brown

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:13 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

A 2nd for Ronnie? No. I would require more.. and I don't think anyone is willing to give up more.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:20 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
If Miami trades Ronnie that will ruin draft weekend for me. But I've stated my case and I will leave it at that.

For the sake of the argument though, let's say Miami does trade Brown. Who are you guys looking at?

For me, it would have to be Auburn's Ben Tate. To me, he is the best RB in the draft and fits Miami's style real well. He's a one cut and go type of a guy with a lot of speed, quickness, shiftiness, and burst of speed with power through the hole. He's very similar to Ronnie; not as complete a back, but running wise he is very similar.

Rock, I feel your pain with Ronnie. Don't want to see him go but, I think it's time.

As for the pick. I think that Spiller will be the best player to give our offense another dimension. His athleticism will sure come in handy on ST too. Ben Tate would be my second choice if we wanted the same type of back. Blount would be my third choice if available in the later rounds.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Trading Ronnie for a 2nd round pick in this deep draft would be a Godsend. He has only played one complete season and he has never been a break away threat. If we do trade Ronnie, then you can bet we are going after a running back early in the draft. Makes sense to me. Get younger at the position and possibly get a home run hitter at running back. Ronnie has been a solid player, when healthy. The problem is, he has a hard time staying healthy and it kills our team whenever we lose him. Hilliard also seems to be developing nicely, so the cupboard is not bare. Time to make a move and get something in trade while we can.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:24 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

cj spiller. would make a perfect compliment to ricky williams.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next