View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 Dolphins' Mike Wallace: 'I'm definitely worried' 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins' Mike Wallace: 'I'm definitely worried'
Quote:
When the Dolphins signed Mike Wallace ...they bargained for a deep threat receiver who would blow the top off defenses with regularity.

It is something Wallace did often with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But as the first quarter of this season is over and those big plays have not happened, Wallace is now concerned.

"I'm definitely worried about it because it's game four," Wallace said Wednesday. "I'm not paranoid or anything but in Week Four it's not the way I imagined my first four weeks going. Definitely not. I'm pretty sure it's not the way anybody imagined it going. So for myself, and starting with myself, [quarterback] Ryan [Tannehill] and coaches, we all got to do a better job and find a way to make it work."

But the Dolphins' system doesn't seem to be a fit and his chemistry with Tannehill isn't the best.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rried.html

" Evan Silva @evansilva
#Dolphins used Mike Wallace like a true No. 1 WR in that Week 2 ATL game, after he spoke up. Otherwise, he's not been utilized aggressively. Retweeted by Armando Salguero "

Quote:
Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero

Former Pitt. OC Bruce Arians motioned Wallace. Put him in slot at times. Dolphins just line him up on right side 90% of time. No movement.

Wallace has to catch better, Tannehill has to throw better, OL needs to protect better, coaches need to design it better and call it more.

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:17 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Dolphins' Mike Wallace: 'I'm definitely worried'
Wallace knows this Baltimore team from his time in Pittsburgh , hopefully he has a breakout game.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:25 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He better be worried. He doesn't turn it up a few notches, that $60 million contract of his will vanish like a fart in the wind.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:04 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

TommyNoleFin wrote:
He better be worried. He doesn't turn it up a few notches, that $60 million contract of his will vanish like a fart in the wind.

Yeah... that's not going to happen...

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:11 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

To be honest, both parties are wrong. Wallace needs to play with fire, but the coaches have to find ways to tap his talent. Gruden mentioned that him ad Hartline line up on the same side every play (90%) which is dumb. Mover him around, try an end around, bubble screen, but when the ball is thrown deep, he needs to make a better effort and catch it. I don't care if he has never jumped for a deep ball, try it or start practicing.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:51 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

This dude shouldn't be saying anything after that pathetic performance Monday night. Try catching the ball first, then you can complain.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:53 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
This dude shouldn't be saying anything after that pathetic performance Monday night. Try catching the ball first, then you can complain.

Hands, maybe route running...who knows.

I keep reading that he should be put in motion or lined up in other spots. Is he having a hard time with the playbook?

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:21 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
To be honest, both parties are wrong. Wallace needs to play with fire, but the coaches have to find ways to tap his talent. Gruden mentioned that him ad Hartline line up on the same side every play (90%) which is dumb. Mover him around, try an end around, bubble screen, but when the ball is thrown deep, he needs to make a better effort and catch it. I don't care if he has never jumped for a deep ball, try it or start practicing.

So wait .... when Bess was jettisoned all I ever heard from the enthusiasts of that trade was that we acquired Gibson to fit an offense where they didn't want the WR's pigeon-holed. Supposedly we wanted to be able to move our WR's around in order to keep defenses guessing.

LOL, so much for that.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Makchell wrote:

So wait .... when Bess was jettisoned all I ever heard from the enthusiasts of that trade was that we acquired Gibson to fit an offense where they didn't want the WR's pigeon-holed. Supposedly we wanted to be able to move our WR's around in order to keep defenses guessing.

LOL, so much for that.

Yeah, I thought that was the point. Acquire receivers who can do all and not be limited.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

IamPZ wrote:

He's been a decoy for 2 of 3 games...probably though RT wasn't going to throw it. I guess the bottom line is he probably needs to take RT to dinner because its apparent to me these guys are reading different playbooks. You get more love with sugar than you do with crap. Unfortunately the Wallace Romance is souring quickly in Miami. My opinion is, just as it was when Marshall began his crying, he needs to be benched. The HC needs to insert himself into this situation. If he can't go all out for 60 million, he needs to be reminded of the humiliation of watching a guy like Matthews make 8-10 grabs in a game.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:58 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
He's been a decoy for 2 of 3 games...probably though RT wasn't going to throw it. I guess the bottom line is he probably needs to take RT to dinner because its apparent to me these guys are reading different playbooks. You get more love with sugar than you do with crap. Unfortunately the Wallace Romance is souring quickly in Miami. My opinion is, just as it was when Marshall began his crying, he needs to be benched. The HC needs to insert himself into this situation. If he can't go all out for 60 million, he needs to be reminded of the humiliation of watching a guy like Matthews make 8-10 grabs in a game.

Someone else brought this up in another thread and I remember seeing it as well. There was a play to set up a quick screen to Wallace (it was right before the Tannehill fumble) and the defender knew it was coming. Tannehill caught the defender ready to jump the route and instead took off for 5 yards.

Maybe defenses are baiting Tannehill to try Wallace and he isn't comfortable making the throw.

Whatever it is I would not advocate forcing the ball to Wallace. When Henne tried forcing it to Marshall it resulted in A LOT of interceptions. Tannehill forced a few deep throws to Wallace that could have resulted in turnovers...lets not go down this road.

As RS and others have said, best way to get Wallace going is through play action. Only way to get play action going is a better ground game and better protection. We saw one of those start to happen Monday night, time for the other to begin.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:51 am

Keep making the excuses. The bottom line is between Sherman and RT, they're not getting the ball to Wallace. You can continue to be an apologist for both but it doesn't address the fact that our 60 million, lightening bolt WR is not a significant part of the offense. Until they figure that out as a group, this offense will struggle to score points.

Case endpoint...Browns offense last night. Until Weeden started ripping the ball deep, the Bills were content to sit on the short stuff and make the hits that cause fumbles, tips that cause INTs etc. Miami has to start letting the ball fly deep; otherwise, smart DCs will move the safeties up and have their CB's cheat on the short stuff.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Keep making the excuses. The bottom line is between Sherman and RT, they're not getting the ball to Wallace. You can continue to be an apologist for both but it doesn't address the fact that our 60 million, lightening bolt WR is not a significant part of the offense. Until they figure that out as a group, this offense will struggle to score points.

Right, because RT has seen magnificent results when forcing the ball to Wallace. Who is being an apologist? I've seen plenty of Sherman and RT bashing the past week. But Wallace sucked on Monday as well.

I can agree that it is dumb to simply have him line up in the same spot since that is the opposite of what made him successful in Pittsburgh. But what are these excuses you are seeing versus what you've witnessed while watching games? Wallace hasn't made the best of his opportunities and you can't deny that might be part of why Hartline and Gibson get the ball more.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:50 pm

jammer wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Right, because RT has seen magnificent results when forcing the ball to Wallace. Who is being an apologist? I've seen plenty of Sherman and RT bashing the past week. But Wallace sucked on Monday as well.

I can agree that it is dumb to simply have him line up in the same spot since that is the opposite of what made him successful in Pittsburgh. But what are these excuses you are seeing versus what you've witnessed while watching games? Wallace hasn't made the best of his opportunities and you can't deny that might be part of why Hartline and Gibson get the ball more.

I posted an entire thread of photos that one person after another excused. Look the bottom line is this...expect DC's to start focusing on Hartline, Clay and Gibson because Wallace is just a distraction at this point.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
I posted an entire thread of photos that one person after another excused. Look the bottom line is this...expect DC's to start focusing on Hartline, Clay and Gibson because Wallace is just a distraction at this point.

Excused or debated? Didn't they win those games?

On Monday the play calling and RT were figured out. The o-line couldn't block with defenses knowing it was all passing. Wallace dropped several passes so why go back to him?

Is Miami 3-1 with a string of home games approaching or 1-3 heading into tough road trips?

Mike Wallace in his 4 previous season had 39, 60, 72 and 64 catches. He's had 6, 10, 8 and 8 TDs. He's not that far off pace from those numbers. So why is there some big concern? His entire career has been forcing defenses to focus on him to open up the shorter routes and the ground game. Pretty sure we've seen at least some of that so far.

Look at the emergence of Hartline (most consistent hands, excellent route runner) and Clay (Keller who?). Hartline could end up with 1000 yds and 8 TDs and Clay could probably catch 80 passes with a half dozen TDs.

Now I'm starting to see what Rich said about perspective.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:33 am

So no fan can constructively criticize the Dolphins because they're 3-1? That is ridiculous. As a matter of fact I've stated before that RT is playing solid but needs to tidy up a few things. Same can be said for most players on the team. I've pointed a little criticism toward Sherman and RT and suddenly I've touched a nerve. I said it then and I'll say it again. Once teams figure out RT isn't throwing to Wallace the gig is up. He then can be ignored. Seriously, you don't think that the Ravens DC saw Wallace going through the motions last week? Do you really think he's going to waste extra time on defense game planning him?
So Wallace has 1 TD through 4 games. That puts him below his worst season as a pro. I'm sure his YPC is in the toilet as well since most of those are hitch or post routes. You are right about Hartline, up until last week when they put a safety over the top of him and left Wallace 1 on 1. Expect the same treatment this week by Baltimore. If Sherman stupidly and arrogantly refuses to change his approach, there will be a few more CB's jumping routes and picking off passes in the game.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly

@finnns2003: Don't think I forgot about Mike Wallace's drops. He's doing the same thing here in Miami, told ya."» 3 drops in 28 targets

To @finnns2003 Brandon Gibson has the same amount of drops in 28 targets for Miami. Hartline has 2 drops in 30 targets. Everyone sucks! SMH

If you're obsessed about Mike Wallace's drops more so than his stagnant use, then you've got the football intelligence of a pee wee player

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:31 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

In Baltimore's offense the Ravens move Smith around to create favorable matchups. And not just for Smith, but for the entire team. One snap he's the Z, one snap he's the Y, the next series he's the X.

The Ravens use Smith like a chess piece.

Larry Fitzgerald moves in Arizona. Brandon Marshall moves in Chicago. Andre Johnson moves in Houston, and Desean Jackson is all over the place in Philadelphia. ...

Why is Wallace, who came to the Dolphins averaging 17.1 yards per carry, so stagnant in Miami's offense?

“There are a number of reasons," coach Joe Philbin tried to explain. "Primarily, when we are in our quick tempo and moving things around, we want to get guys in a position where they can line up a little bit faster, get the play entry in and get the clock moving. That’s the primary reason.”

Hold up! Are the Dolphins a quick, uptempo team? NO. Rarely!

Even without huddling, how difficult would it be to put Wallace in motion, or have him line up as the slot? ...

“They can match up. There will not be a lot of mysteries to what side, as you mentioned, to where we line up," Philbin explained. "That’s their decision. I can’t speak to how much of an advantage it is.”

So, Philbin just said there's no mystery to the Dolphins offense? No attempt to confuse defenses, no desire to create favorable mismatches?

That's a head-scratcher!

“There’s different ways of doing it," Philbin said, explaining why Wallace doesn't get moved. "That’s just a decision we made, and that’s how we do it. I don’t know if there is a specific downside to it.”

WELL, I'd say having the Dolphins' most expensive player, and the biggest offensive playmaker serve as a decoy is a major downside. ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 3834.story

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:44 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
So no fan can constructively criticize the Dolphins because they're 3-1? That is ridiculous.

I don't really get where this comes from. Someone challenges you and its a dramatic response of how everyone is out to get you. Constructive criticism is one thing, but look at your post. "Keep making excuses...apologists...the bottom line is...". So basically its your view or nothing else. The rest of us are just QB sycophants with rose colored glasses.

Everyone keeps saying Tannehill, Wallace, Philbin and Sherman are flawed. You're putting it mostly on Tannehill and Sherman. Others have questioned Wallace to some extent. My personal belief is that Mike Wallace doesn't have to be an alpha receiver for this team to do well. Once defenses lay off (see the Indy game) the chance is there to punish them.

Allow for conversation and debate, don't simply put people down or resort to shots across the bow. Makes for a better discussion.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:17 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:

In Baltimore's offense the Ravens move Smith around to create favorable matchups. And not just for Smith, but for the entire team. One snap he's the Z, one snap he's the Y, the next series he's the X.

The Ravens use Smith like a chess piece.

Larry Fitzgerald moves in Arizona. Brandon Marshall moves in Chicago. Andre Johnson moves in Houston, and Desean Jackson is all over the place in Philadelphia. ...

Why is Wallace, who came to the Dolphins averaging 17.1 yards per carry, so stagnant in Miami's offense?

“There are a number of reasons," coach Joe Philbin tried to explain. "Primarily, when we are in our quick tempo and moving things around, we want to get guys in a position where they can line up a little bit faster, get the play entry in and get the clock moving. That’s the primary reason.”

Hold up! Are the Dolphins a quick, uptempo team? NO. Rarely!

Even without huddling, how difficult would it be to put Wallace in motion, or have him line up as the slot? ...

“They can match up. There will not be a lot of mysteries to what side, as you mentioned, to where we line up," Philbin explained. "That’s their decision. I can’t speak to how much of an advantage it is.”

So, Philbin just said there's no mystery to the Dolphins offense? No attempt to confuse defenses, no desire to create favorable mismatches?

That's a head-scratcher!

“There’s different ways of doing it," Philbin said, explaining why Wallace doesn't get moved. "That’s just a decision we made, and that’s how we do it. I don’t know if there is a specific downside to it.”

WELL, I'd say having the Dolphins' most expensive player, and the biggest offensive playmaker serve as a decoy is a major downside. ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 3834.story

That article is depressing. $60 million for a guy who's simply fast and a decoy. This WR core is NOT what they were advertising to us ....... guys supposedly being moved around to create deception and mismatches.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
By Armando Salguero
asalguero@MiamiHerald.com

When Wallace had his great seasons in Pittsburgh, then-offensive coordinator Bruce Arians moved him around the formation, sometimes placing him outside, sometimes in the slot, sometimes bunched near the line of scrimmage. Arians also put Wallace in motion ostensibly so defenders would have to chase the speedy receiver even before the play began.

The Dolphins rarely have put Wallace in motion in any game other than the one against Indianapolis.

“There will not be a lot of mysteries to what side … to where we line up,” Philbin said before launching a defense of the strategy. “… I can’t speak to how much of an advantage it is [for the defense].

“There’s different ways of doing it. I don’t know if there is any downside. That’s just a decision we made, and that’s how we do it. I don’t know if there is a specific downside to it.”

Here’s a downside, Coach: The Dolphins line up Wallace to the right and ask Tannehill to connect with him deep, although Tannehill is not all that effective throwing deep toward the right side.

Stats tell the story

According to the football metrics website ProFootballFocus.com, Tannehill has so far in his career completed 28 of 56 passes (50 percent completion rate) for 504 yards, with seven touchdowns and only one interception throwing passes of 10 yards or more in the air to his left.

Seven touchdowns, one interception throwing deep left.

On his throws of 10 yards or more to the right side in his NFL career, Tannehill has completed 34 of  75 passes (45 percent) for 799 yards, with one touchdown and three interceptions.

One touchdown, three interceptions throwing deep right.

That’s not a coincidental statistic, as it spans 20 games. And the numbers for this year’s four games are more startling.

This season, Tannehill has completed 10 of 15 passes for 168 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions throwing passes beyond 10 yards to his left.

He has completed only 4 of 14 attempts for 84 yards without a touchdown or interception throwing to his right beyond 10 yards in the air.

“I don’t even think about it,” Tannehill said.

Perhaps he should start, ...

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/05/3 ... rylink=cpy

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

sounds bad..who was he throwing to..and how do those pretty good looking numbers compare.....

he is helping us win though, right?

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:54 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:
sounds bad..who was he throwing to..and how do those pretty good looking numbers compare.....

he is helping us win though, right?

Not sure what your questions are about ..... ?

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Looks like Tannehill is trying to FORCE the ball to Wallace.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:49 pm
Profile WWW

I hate this guy so much.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
I hate this guy so much.

I'm right there with you. I cringe every time he forces a throw his way.

Did he have more catches than drops today? I'm sure it was close.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:32 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Drops and bad passed, something is not right between RT and Wallace. OL sucks.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Did Wallace whining for the ball during the week pressure Tannehill into forcing the ball to him when it wasnt the best choice, or am I overreacting?

Clay, Hartline, and Gibson look like much better receiving options at this point.

Where are the passes to Miller out of the backfield?

Tannehill has no pocket presence. Wait a minute, WHAT POCKET?

Tannehill needs more designed rollouts. Wasn't there a topic on this forum about Tannehill's QB rating going up when he throws on the run?

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:41 pm
Profile WWW

Makchell wrote:
Drops and bad passed, something is not right with Wallace. OL sucks.

Fixed.

The guy has a football IQ of a squirrel.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Quote:
Did Wallace whining for the ball during the week pressure Tannehill into forcing the ball to him when it wasnt the best choice, or am I overreacting?

Your not over reacting, your exactly correct. His whining plus his contract is why we are forcing the ball to him.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Why do I get the feeling that if Wallace were to be on another team next year, he would do just as Brandon marshall did, and be a potent receiving weapon again for someone else. Why do WRs come here to drop balls?

Did Wes Welker put a voodoo curse on the Dolphins? lol

Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Quote:

Your not over reacting, your exactly correct. His whining plus his contract is why we are forcing the ball to him.

I don't think forcing the ball anywhere was the issue today, Hartline had a huge drop (needed that first down) as did Clay on that last drive and by no means am I giving Wallace a free pass here he dropped his share too

Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]