View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Unexpected Contributions 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Unexpected Contributions
Nolan Carroll was not expected to make the team much less start..Two rookies were brought in for depth. The team kept Pattersons pay check so you had to know he was going to start next to Grimes..But Carroll played well in camp beat out Will Davis and his pay check while the rookies haven't taken off their diapers yet.

This is what you call building a team through the draft...Guys sit back maybe not play so well for a couple years but you stick with them and let them develope. And changing GM's and coaches can kill the flow

Quote:
He knows offensive coordinators plan to match up their best receiver against him each game.

In the season opener, Carroll was lining up against speedy former Hurricanes standout Travis Benjamin. Week 2 it was perennial Pro Bowler Reggie Wayne. Last week, it was Julio Jones, one of the NFL's budding superstars

Quote:
Opposing quarterbacks have a 68.7 passer rating against the Dolphins, which is fifth best in the league. And Carroll's 21 targets leads the Dolphins. Only 14 cornerbacks have been thrown at more.

Quote:
Keep in mind Carroll views himself as a young cornerback. While he played in 38 games with the Maryland Terrapins, most of them were as a special teams contributor. He was recruited to Maryland as a receiver, moved to cornerback his sophomore season and only started six games as a cornerback in college.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-0927-20130926,0,6517927.story?track=rss

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:54 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: Unexpected Contributions
Very cool. & a pleasant surprise so far. Lets hope he keeps improving cuz Colston can be tough, Meachem is good in this offense, & Still is a bomber

Quote:
"Me just playing cornerback for the little amount of time I have, I've learned a lot the past three years. Every year has been a learning experience as far as situations, how to prepare for a game, who I'm going against. How to keep my body right every week," Carroll said. "Every year there has been something new."

I'd say theres already a huge difference from last year

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:47 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

This week I was thinking about the Contributions on offense. Clay, Gibson, & Sims covering the loss of Keller. We might not of won a couple of those games without their significant playing. & even Matthews last Sunday.

When's the last time another teams defense had to figure who they were going to guard & how to cover them all? This offense makes weapons of skill & I think the arsenal will grow with Tanne

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:52 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Steve Zissou wrote:
This week I was thinking about the Contributions on offense. Clay, Gibson, & Sims covering the loss of Keller. We might not of won a couple of those games without their significant playing. & even Matthews last Sunday.

When's the last time another teams defense had to figure who they were going to guard & how to cover them all? This offense makes weapons of skill & I think the arsenal will grow with Tanne

And Clay had a bad pre season...

Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wait ..... Carrol is contributing? How loose are we going with that definition?

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:

Oh, he is Revis like.....Anyway if Matt Moore can be team MVP why not Carroll!

:fart:

Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:

Depends who you ask:
Quote:
Outside corners Brent Grimes and Nolan Carroll rank 11th and 12th, respectively, in NFL rating against, while Jimmy Wilson ranks second among slot corners. Free safety Chris Clemons has allowed just one reception in 144 coverage snaps. Most impressively, none of the four have surrendered a touchdown through three games

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/27/3tfo-dolphins-saints-week-4/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=3tfo-dolphins-saints-week-4

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:00 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Depends who you ask:
Quote:
Outside corners Brent Grimes and Nolan Carroll rank 11th and 12th, respectively, in NFL rating against, while Jimmy Wilson ranks second among slot corners. Free safety Chris Clemons has allowed just one reception in 144 coverage snaps. Most impressively, none of the four have surrendered a touchdown through three games

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/27/3tfo-dolphins-saints-week-4/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=3tfo-dolphins-saints-week-4

:) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9774&p=120185#p120185

Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:56 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:

Aside from getting the first interception of the season that prevented a Browns touchdown and being part of a defense that shuts teams down in the 2nd half while often covering the other team's best wideout (Julio Jones, Reggie Wayne)?

I guess nothing...

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Aside from getting the first interception of the season that prevented a Browns touchdown and being part of a defense that shuts teams down in the 2nd half while often covering the other team's best wideout (Julio Jones, Reggie Wayne)?

I guess nothing...

Julio had 9 catches for 115 .... and that was with his running mate playing at half mast.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:01 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

I guess nothing...

Julio had 9 catches for 115 .... and that was with his running mate playing at half mast.

Did all 9 come against Caroll?

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:09 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Did all 9 come against Caroll?[/quote]

Obviously not all 9 ... but you have the stats on PFF don't you?

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:13 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

No but when Carroll wasn't getting abused by Jones, he was physically mugging White in the endzone.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:24 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Well anyway, hopefully he can improve to atleast the top 10 this week...Not too much to ask seeing how is 12th.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:42 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Obviously not all 9 ... but you have the stats on PFF don't you?

You mean the ones that rank him 12th overall?

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
You mean the ones that rank him 12th overall?

When Julio Jones lines up against Nolan Carroll.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
When Julio Jones lines up against Nolan Carroll.

You said:

Quote:

I'm responding to that comment.

Actually, PFF having him ranked 12th in QB rating allowed is responding to that comment.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:21 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

NFL.com lists the play by play, from what I see N. Carroll gave up 3 passes for 51 yards to J. Jones

He also had a PI called on him...

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
I'm responding to that comment.

Actually, PFF having him ranked 12th in QB rating allowed is responding to that comment.

I understand that.

However we both know the nature of stats, which can be inflated or skewed based on the talent of the opposition. So that is why I wanted to know how he stacked up against a premiere NFL wideout.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:32 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
However we both know the nature of stats, which can be inflated or skewed based on the talent of the opposition.

He can only play against who he plays against.

It doesn't mean he isn't contributing.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

So seriously .... satisfy my curiosity if you will. What were PFF's stats on Carrol when lining up with Jones?

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

So seriously .... satisfy my curiosity if you will. What were PFF's stats on Carrol when lining up with Jones?

Think it was 5 catches for 70 yards on 8 targets.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
In the season opener, Carroll was lining up against speedy former Hurricanes standout Travis Benjamin. Week 2 it was perennial Pro Bowler Reggie Wayne. Last week, it was Julio Jones, one of the NFL's budding superstars

Quote:
Opposing quarterbacks have a 68.7 passer rating against the Dolphins, which is fifth best in the league. And Carroll's 21 targets leads the Dolphins. Only 14 cornerbacks have been thrown at more.

:hitme:

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Carroll allowed just two completions from the five passes thrown his way Monday. Compare that with the 30-for-39 efficiency Brees had against the defense as a whole.

Better yet, Carroll's performance isn't an anomaly.

According to Pro Football Focus, opposing quarterbacks have a 69.6 passer rating when throwing at Carroll, placing him among the league's top 20 cover men and just a few points behind Grimes. The 50 percent completion rate is one of the better marks in the league as well.

Not bad for a player drafted 145th overall.

And although Carroll has certainly beaten the odds with such success as a late-round pick, he has blossomed into the player he is because of a back-against-the-wall attitude - a mind-set he is intent on keeping amid a contract year.

"Every year is against the grain - you're always against the odds," Carroll said. "Most guys feel after the first year or second year that they're established and they can just relax. A lot of guys aren't in this league anymore because they're comfortable, and I'm never comfortable. I've never felt like I've arrived or I'm established."

Carroll's struggle is familiar to Grimes, who went from being undrafted in 2006 to a stint in NFL Europe to the 2010 Pro Bowl.

"Being a fifth-round pick, he's had to work all this time," Grimes said of Carroll. "He's got to keep that same attitude even now, even with him getting a lot of reps and getting some respect and with people realizing he can play. He's got to keep the same attitude, just keep that edge."

Carroll has been steady since he entered the NFL - allowing a 78.1 passer rating on 110 attempts entering this year - but he's still improving.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/05/3 ... rylink=cpy

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]