View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Jeff Ireland was right about Lane Johnson? 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Jeff Ireland was right about Lane Johnson?
Quite a few people were critical of reports by Armando that stated Miami weren't Lane Johnson's biggest fans.

He gave up 4.5 sacks to Justin Houston last night and a lot more pressures.

Miami was the only team rumored/reported to not like the guy. Props to our scouting dept.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Jeff Ireland was right about Lane Johnson?
Phins Rock wrote:
Quite a few people were critical of reports by Armando that stated Miami weren't Lane Johnson's biggest fans.

According to PFF's grade after two games, his pass protection was as bad as Clabo's has been.

That grade should get much worse now.

But he has been terrific in run blocking.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:31 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

All I know is I see promise with the Dion Jordan pick and if this guy can come back healthy, I see great things in the future with him reeking havoc on NFL QB's. Jury is still out, but you can clearly see his talents.

I for one am now glad they went after Jordan and not Lane Johnson.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:33 am

According to PFF, Johnson allowed 3 sacks and 2 hurries last night. He has 3 sacks allowed and 9 pressures allowed on the season.

Only Sam Baker and Mitchell Schwartz are ranked lower as pass protectors.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:35 am

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

According to PFF's grade after two games, his pass protection was as bad as Clabo's has been.

That grade should get much worse now.

But he has been terrific in run blocking.

It's hard to not have a positive run blocking grade with the way Philly schemes it.

He'll get better, but man; with his athletic ability he was supposed to be a corner stone of that fast paced offense. Total dud through 3 games.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:37 am

Phins Rock wrote:
It's hard to not have a positive run blocking grade with the way Philly schemes it.

You still have to beat the guy across from you and that's how PFF scores it.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:52 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Funny how Ireland was "right" about Lane, but if drafted him it would be he;s a rookie, give him time. The same posts are praising the potential of Jordan when he is on par with Lane. lol. I love being a fan.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:23 am

Makchell wrote:
Funny how Ireland was "right" about Lane, but if drafted him it would be he;s a rookie, give him time. The same posts are praising the potential of Jordan when he is on par with Lane. lol. I love being a fan.

I was Dion Jordan's biggest fan throughout the entire process. He was my dream scenario already last October.

But I won't hesitate to say it's been a disappointment so far. I didn't expect a lot out of his rookie season and he has been battling an injury, but you'd still like to see him show a couple of flashes, instead of just the two coverage "sacks" we've seen so far.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:31 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The same posts are praising the potential of Jordan when he is on par with Lane. lol. I love being a fan.

Well, this is a matter of opinion now isn't it Mak? IMO, nothing wrong with praising some flashes of success that Jordan has had versus focusing on folks that think he is on par with Lane Johnson.

Two different players, two different positions. Lane is not nursing injuries, Jordan has been and Miami drafted him knowing he had a repaired shoulder. Give him time, I still see good things in the future and IF that does happen, I will expect a different post from you South Florida game fisherman!!!

:pumpiron:

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:35 am

Makchell wrote:

Uh... Johnson has taken every snap for his team at right tackle and can't protect the QB.

Jordan reaggravated an injury and has played limited snaps. I don't see the correlation here....

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:42 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Jordan reaggravated an injury and has played limited snaps. I don't see the correlation here....

Injured or not, Jordan has done just as much as Lane. I'm not saying that Jordan is bust, but we can't jump to conclusions and say Lane is bust.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:50 am

Makchell wrote:

Injured or not, Jordan has done just as much as Lane. I'm not saying that Jordan is bust, but we can't jump to conclusions and say Lane is bust.

Who said Lane was a bust?

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

exactly. Let's revisit this in 2 years.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:37 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The 3 best offensive tackles entering the draft have struggled. Some analysts were saying that we should trade up for Fisher or Jockel.

NFL.COM wrote:
Eric Fisher struggling out of gate for Kansas City Chiefs

High picks at offensive lineman are supposed to be safer than other positions, but Eric Fisher and the No. 2 overall pick, Jacksonville Jaguars tackle Luke Joeckel, have gotten off to rough starts. (Joeckel's struggles have been less dramatic.)

Fisher, playing right tackle, was called for holding twice during the Chiefs' 26-16 win over the Philadelphia Eagles on "Thursday Night Football." He appeared to give up at least two sacks. Pro Football Focus had him down for five total pressures, including a few plays where Eagles defensive lineman Fletcher Cox almost instantly beat him off the line of scrimmage. We noticed the Chiefs sliding their protection towards Fisher's side to help.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ity-chiefs

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

Now, I can't post it.

2 games in & Ireland was right about a player he did not pick. Players are drafted for what teams think they "will become", not what they are right now.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:41 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Just saying...

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:26 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Offensive linemen drafted in the top 5 are expected to start in the NFL right off the bat and do it better than those drafted after them.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Offensive linemen drafted in the top 5 are expected to start in the NFL right off the bat and do it better than those drafted after them.

That goes for practically any player in the Top 5.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:55 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Too funny, the guys he picked is sitting on the bench so we are analyzing the guys he didnt pick

:hithead:

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

1 (3) Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
2 (54) Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
3 (77) Dallas Thomas, Tackle/Guard, Tennessee
3 (93) Will Davis, CB, Utah State
4 (104) Jelani Jenkins, LB, Florida
4 (106) Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State
5 (164) Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida
5 (166) Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida
7 (250) Don Jones, S, Arkansas State

Out of these picks Jeff Ireland orchestrated, 3 of them have been hurt, so the jury is still out on them, but Dion Jordan, Taylor and Davis all have ability I am excited to see, but they have to get healthy first.

Dion Sims looks to have promise to contribute at tight end. Sturgis so far is a stud and from what I have heard Don Jones is a good special teams guy. Jenkins, Thomas and Gillislee are the three that I haven't seen or heard much from.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:48 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think it a little hard to say what a player is going to be going into Week 3. Lane Johnson got dominated by a very good player in Justin Houston. He can still develop into a solid OT, but he is struggling right now.

We all knew Dion Jordan was coming off a shoulder surgery and had hurt the shoulder again. That said, he does have a sack and should have had another sack, but unfortunately for him he thought Luck had gotten rid of the ball.

I think it unfair to call a guy a bust or say a team was right or wrong on a kid after 2 games. For what it worth, I do expect Dion to be more of a factor the more he plays and with the shoulder being healthy.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:19 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

phinsfansc wrote:
I think it unfair to call a guy a bust or say a team was right or wrong on a kid after 2 games. For what it worth, I do expect Dion to be more of a factor the more he plays and with the shoulder being healthy.

I agree completely. All of these guys can go on to have long, productive careers in this league.
Its all in what a team is looking for and how they feel they are in other areas.
When a guy is struggling to find a team in year 4 or 5, he is a bust. Until then they are "developing"

He sat Jordan behind Vernon, the media pumped Vernon like he was the next Wake, and now Vernon has stunk it up.
Now we will see Jordan start to get more time, and I will bet he will look better than Vernon, Ireland becomes the savior..

Well played Jeff lol...

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

When a guy is struggling to find a team in year 4 or 5, he is a bust.

When you draft a guy, especially in the first few rounds, 4 or 5 years later is a bit too long if you ask me in order to determine bust level.

These guys are paid to come in and add value fairly quickly, so going into year two you start expecting more and certainly by year 3.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]