View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Offensive Tackles - Revisited 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Offensive Tackles - Revisited
With the struggle the Dolphins have had at offensive line, particularly at tackle and even more specifically at right tackle, let's take a look at what is and what could have been at the position.

Left Tackle

Jonathan Martin is currently ranked 40th overall at the tackle position, 21st as a left tackle(38th in pass blocking, 54th in run blocking).

Other options that were available at left tackle:

Brandon Albert is ranked 8th overall (8th in pass blocking, 18th in run blocking).

Jake Long is ranked 17th overall (36th in pass blocking, 10th in run blocking).

Lane Johnson is ranked 31st overall playing as a right tackle (56th in pass blocking, 1st in run blocking).

Bryant McKinnie is ranked 56th overall (43rd in pass blocking, 64th in run blocking).

Summary - The Dolphins would have been better off at left tackle if they had resigned Jake Long or traded for Brandon Albert. Albert is performing at a very high level in both pass and run blocking, while Long is a much better run blocker than Martin, although they are almost on par as pass blockers.

That being said, Martin is a less expensive option and is still developing. He has shown significant improvement from last season, when he was rated way at the bottom of the left.

While Lane Johnson has shown to be a terrific run blocker, his pass blocking is leaving a lot to be desired, especially since he is at right tackle.

Bryant McKinnie would have been a clear downgrade from Jonathan Martin.

Martin has to improve his run blocking significantly and brush up on a few things in pass blocking.

Right Tackle

Tyson Clabo had ranked high consistently for the past couple of years while playing right tackle for Atlanta. But he currently ranks 60th overall, 29th as a right tackle (54th as a pass blocker, 57th as a run blocker).

Other options that were available at right tackle:

Sebastian Vollmer is ranked 3rd overall (5th in pass blocking, 18th in run blocking).

Lane Johnson is ranked 31st overall (56th in pass blocking, 1st in run blocking).

Justin Pugh is ranked 33rd overall (29th in pass blocking, 50th in run blocking).

D.J. Fluker is ranked 41st overall (18th in pass blocking, 59th in run blocking).

Eric Winston is ranked 64th overall (66th in pass blocking, 26th in run blocking).

Summary - Sebastian Vollmer would have been a clear upgrade at the right tackle position, or the Dolphins could have opted to go young at the position with Lane Johnson, Justin Pugh or D.J. Fluker and still gotten better overall play than Tyson Clabo (minus Lane Johnson's pass protection or DJ Fluker's run blocking).

Eric Winston, who many wanted, is actually worse at pass protection than Clabo has been, although he is significantly better at run blocking.

I'll point out again that as recently as last season, Tyson Clabo was ranked 14th overall, 2nd overall in 2011, 10th overall in 2010, 20th overall in 2009 and 16th overall in 2008.

So there is a pattern of consistency from Clabo over at least a 5 year period. I'm holding out hope that he rounds into form.

There were definitely better options at tackle for the Dolphins, based on 2 games worth of performance, but those options would have cost more money and/or draft picks.

That being said, with Ryan Tannehill nursing an injured shoulder, it may have been worth the investment...

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Offensive Tackles - Revisited
Those numbers are great and all but that don't take into consideration road game opponent's or the guy playing qb.

It's a little early for that stuff to matter......And Long is injury prone at this point and look how good guys like that are working for the Patriots

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Albert IMO was the one that Miami should have found a way to bring on board. He would have been a pillar on the line for the next 5 years and well worth the investment.

Oh well, that isn't happening now, so the hope is that Martin keeps improving. Same goes with Clabo, I hope his numbers improve as he is clearly playing beneath his past years production.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Kev1321 wrote:
Those numbers are great and all but that don't take into consideration road game opponent's or the guy playing qb.

They take into account the player's individual performance on each play. For example, if the QB gets sacked because he held onto the ball too long or ran into the sack, they take that into consideration, so it is a pretty accurate grade.

Quote:
It's a little early for that stuff to matter......

I think that goes without saying, but it is interesting, at least to me, to see how some of these guys people wanted us to bring in are performing. I did mention at the end of the post that I expect Clabo to get it together since he's been a consistently high performer for the past 5 years.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:31 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

Quote:
It's a little early for that stuff to matter......

I think that goes without saying, but it is interesting, at least to me, to see how some of these guys people wanted us to bring in are performing. I did mention at the end of the post that I expect Clabo to get it together since he's been a consistently high performer for the past 5 years.

It may seem early, but it does matter. Tannehill is limited in practice this week as we have a home opener vs one of the toughest oppnents of the season.

Doesnt mean I think these guys will not get better as the season goes on, just saying right now it is affecting the most important player.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

Take Vollmer...They have had an easy schedule to date. Played a home game,which matters for obvious reasons. Is allowed to hold because of who he plays for and with j/k(kinda). After Vollmers price dropped so much after sitting in the market so long the Dolphins should have gone after him more so than trading a pick imo. I don't think he is pro bowl talent but dependable performance wise.

These numbers just havn't had a chance to average out yet..Not that our guys are playing great but one good game and they will vault to the middle or top of the pack at this point.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Vollmer ranked 13th for 2012. 23rd for 2011. 18th for 2010. 10th for 2009.

He's been consistently good.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:25 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rich wrote:
Vollmer ranked 13th for 2012. 23rd for 2011. 18th for 2010. 10th for 2009.

He's been consistently good.

Vollmer is a stud. He was 4th among RT's last year, 7th in 2010, and was 10th overall like you said in 2009 after playing both LT and RT.

He missed most of 2011 with an injury that also plagued him last season.

I wanted him pretty badly in Free Agency. Can play either side, is athletic, still an upcoming player.

Would have made a better addition than Clabo, and probably wouldn't have cost more considering we're going to have to spend more money/picks next year replacing Clabo.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:03 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I would like to take a look at these numbers at the half way point of the season. Just like any other group, you need to develop some type of chemistry, a knowledge of what the man next to you will do.

You have to hope that the more this group plays together, the better they will get. That includes Martin and Clabo.

Brandon Albert was a kid I wanted, but it is what it is now.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
I would like to take a look at these numbers at the half way point of the season. Just like any other group, you need to develop some type of chemistry, a knowledge of what the man next to you will do.

You have to hope that the more this group plays together, the better they will get. That includes Martin and Clabo.

Brandon Albert was a kid I wanted, but it is what it is now.

Yes that's why i think it's a little premature to put too much stock in those numbers at this point( road games,new together,who you played etc.).....I didn't want the Albert deal though.. the price and draft pick combo was just too much..Like i said, and i'm not big on Vollmer either but his price came down and didn't cost a pick..And you would have created a hole on the Patriots, not that it matters all that much.

But hey we keep winning who really cares...Like ive said before the Steelers had an absolute terrible o line and made the big game

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]