View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 NFL Power Rankings: Dolphins make waves with fast start 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post NFL Power Rankings: Dolphins make waves with fast start
When I spent time this summer at the Miami Dolphins training camp, I left thinking that the team might be better than a year ago.

Then I changed my mind.

Now I am changing it again.

The Dolphins, based on their two road victories to open the season, have been one of the league's most impressive teams in the first two weeks, and could be ready to push for a playoff spot. The Dolphins have done some good things on defense, the fierce front seven getting after the quarterbacks they've faced, but it's the offense that has impressed me the most.

Kirwan's Power Rankings Unbeaten Chiefs, Niners make big jumps I like what I've seen from second-year passer Ryan Tannehill. He looks much more composed in the pocket, much more sure of himself. He's taking shots down the field, something he didn't do last season as a rookie. In two games, he has thrown for 598 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. His yards-per-attempt is up to 8.2 from 6.8 a year ago. That's a good sign.

The Dolphins vault to the No. 10 spot in my weekly Power Rankings, which, I have to say, I didn't see coming. If they are there three weeks from now, then it will be truly amazing.

The next three weeks are brutal for the Dolphins. They play host to the Atlanta Falcons this week, then play at New Orleans before coming home to face the Baltimore Ravens. If they can get to 3-2 out of that stretch, that will be a heck of a start.

For now, they're in the top 10, and I am changing my thinking about them -- again.

10. With two road victories to open the season, they have to be flying high. If they beat Atlanta this week, how high can they go?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2369 ... fast-start

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:15 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: NFL Power Rankings: Dolphins make waves with fast start
I prefer all the negative press. Helps create an 'us against the world' mentality.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:20 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Glad they took a break from 24/7 RGIII to give the other teams some attention

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

we really should be 7 or 8 in these polls but people won't let the Miami of the 2000's reputation out of the heads. We've looked better than alot of the mainstays including New England.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
I prefer all the negative press. Helps create an 'us against the world' mentality.

I agree. This sudden burst of media love is making me uncomfortable.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I agree. This sudden burst of media love is making me uncomfortable.

Can't be happening. I was told by a very good source from this site that the media has it out for us and wants to end our franchise.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
The next three weeks are brutal for the Dolphins. They play host to the Atlanta Falcons this week, then play at New Orleans before coming home to face the Baltimore Ravens. If they can get to 3-2 out of that stretch, that will be a heck of a start. [/b]

I really don't get this. What has Baltimore done through two weeks that makes you go, hmm, there's an elite team right now. I get they are the defending champs. But they have been thoroughly unimpressive.

Miami has a better record than Atlanta and New Orleans isn't the same team it was two or three years ago.

Yeah, it's a difficult stretch, but brutal? I don't think I'd say that. And if we're as good as we all seem to think we are all of the sudden, I think the expectation -- with two games at home -- should be 4-1.

Not saying I'm disappointed with 3-2, but if we're going to be a team ready to turn the corner this season, we have to be 4-1 three weeks from now.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MNDolfan wrote:
I think the expectation -- with two games at home -- should be 4-1.

I think the realistic expectation is 3-2.

I do think Baltimore is a very winnable game, even on the road.
Until Miami proves it has moved up that step, Atlanta and New Orleans are both better teams. But both games are at home and we do have hope to think we have moved up.

The hope is 4-1.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

We're making waves...........Vegas has this week's game as a toss-up (no points given). I imagine if we placed a bet in August, ATL would have been favored by 7+.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dolphins are the rare team that can score points and pressure the opposing quarterback.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:43 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
MNDolfan wrote:
I think the expectation -- with two games at home -- should be 4-1.

I think the realistic expectation is 3-2.

I do think Baltimore is a very winnable game, even on the road.
Until Miami proves it has moved up that step, Atlanta and New Orleans are both better teams. But both games are at home and we do have hope to think we have moved up.

The hope is 4-1.

The Dolphins play Atlanta and Baltimore at home. They play at New Orleans on a Monday night.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:51 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Miami beats the Falcons, the NFL analysts will start giving them more respect. They beat the Falcons AND Saints back to back, look out as IMO that will vault Miami into the top 5.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Miami beats the Falcons, the NFL analysts will start giving them more respect. They beat the Falcons AND Saints back to back, look out as IMO that will vault Miami into the top 5.

if we beat Atlanta we're top 5.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

That really depends upon the other current top teams. Miami isn't just going to vault that high after the Atlanta game unless some of the current top teams lose.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

what top teams? outside of Denver, Seattle and San Fran. What has Houston or New England done other than look mediocre?

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:06 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

what top teams? outside of Denver, Seattle and San Fran. What has Houston or New England done other than look mediocre?

Denver is the biggest obstacle IMO as of right now. The good thing is that Peyton and his teams have played in cupcake divisions and choke in the playoffs. Seattle sucks on the road and if we press the 9ers receives and run blitz every down like Seattle practically did, we will win.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:

The Dolphins play Atlanta and Baltimore at home. They play at New Orleans on a Monday night.

Yeah I mixed that up.
Tough to keep it all straight as I cannot go to any of the games

:(

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

Denver is the biggest obstacle IMO as of right now. The good thing is that Peyton and his teams have played in cupcake divisions and choke in the playoffs. Seattle sucks on the road and if we press the 9ers receives and run blitz every down like Seattle practically did, we will win.

I agree

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I was referencing the "current top ten" list. Normally you don't vault past others already ranked before you IF they win and you win, but of course it all depends on opponents and how bad you beat them.

Keep in mind you left New Orleans and Green Bay off that list as well as Cincinnati and Houston and New England may have won ugly, but they win games like that and good teams manage to pull games out like that.

However, if Miami beats Atlanta and New Orleans, IMO that definitely makes a top 5 case.

It is so early and Miami IMO still needs to beat more of the marque teams to justify getting into that top tier team ranking. Win these next two and the NFL analysts will be buzzing about the Dolphins again.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]