View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Time to start giving Ireland credit for the offseason moves 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Time to start giving Ireland credit for the offseason moves
This was the vision of how the Dolphins would play when general manager Jeff Ireland and coach Joe Philbin crafted their blueprint back in February. And through two joyous Sundays, the Dolphins and their success-starved fans are watching that vision come to life.

The man behind center has made the biggest jump of the second-year quarterbacks, exactly as offensive coordinator Mike Sherman predicted.

The defense is creating more turnovers.

Brent Grimes has been a significant upgrade over Sean Smith as a No. 1 cornerback.

Dannell Ellerbe and Philip Wheeler are making a bigger impact than predecessors Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett.

The offense is more explosive, even without tight end Dustin Keller, a key piece of the offseason overhaul.

“We got a helluva team in the making,” Philbin told his players, voice rising, after Sunday’s win in Indianapolis. “It doesn’t get any better than that!”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/17/3 ... rylink=cpy

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:40 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Time to start giving Ireland credit for the offseason moves
Ireland deserves some credit, but the biggest acquisition was getting Joe Philbin. Such a welcome difference from the last few coaches.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

rodneyfaile wrote:
Ireland deserves some credit, but the biggest acquisition was getting Joe Philbin. Such a welcome difference from the last few coaches.

Totally agree there. And it all starts with Ireland's desire to change the personality of this team from the ground & pound to the quick strike (on offense and defense). He got his head coach in here to fit that style and has drafted and added players accordingly.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:38 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

off to a good start for exec. of the year

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:45 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
off to a good start for exec. of the year

Not so fast. I'll give credit where credit is due. This year's free agent class has been a home run, but we are getting little to nothing from the draft class so far (except for Sturgis)

Dion Jordan- Is playing catch up due to not fully healing from shoulder injury. Has had his moments out there but making rookie mistakes. Missing most of the preseason was a big setback.

Jamar Taylor- Hasn't played a down

Will Davis- See Jamar Taylor

Dallas Thomas- See Will Davis/Jamar Taylor

Dion Simms- Backup TE, only about 20 or so snaps per game through 2 games

Jelani Jenkins- Mostly special teams. Hasn't seen the field on regular downs

Mike Gillislee- Inactive for first two games

Caleb Sturgis- Starting kicker

Don Jones- See Houdini

With the way Carroll and Patterson are playing it will be a struggle for Taylor and Davis to get playing time. Hopefully the 2 CB's can get healthy soon though.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:37 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Dion Simms is the # 2 TE, he played 35 snaps on Sunday... When Clay lines up as FB, Simms is the TE. Egnew still sucks..

I am not sold on Ireland just yet. I never really credited him for the 2008-2010 years, I dont think Parcells was able to give up control, he is an egomaniac and made all the decisions. Ireland seemed like a glorified scout.

2011 Sparano had his contract reworked, and had some control in players, so somewhere in there he relieves Jeff as well..

2012 - Now, its all Jeff. He has final say. I cant really put all the blame on him for Parcells, or Sparano, and I think its too early to say what we have in the last 2 years picks..

If Tannehill is the real deal, Ireland is our saviour lol

Last edited by 10acjed on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I say give Ireland a friggin break........the guy has the right idea and the right plan IMO, now the players need to execute the talent they have on the field. Hiring Philbin was an excellent choice and the talent that has been upgraded through free agency and the draft definitely earns Ireland some very nice credit, again IMO.

You can see Sturgis is going to be a mainstay and you can also see that Jordan will become an impact player. The two corners although hurt right now certainly offer promise. You cannot hit a ringer on every pick, but so far, not bad.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:38 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
Dannell Ellerbe and Philip Wheeler are making a bigger impact than predecessors Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett.

I disagree with this. So far the secondary is better but we still can't cover a TE or back on a delayed release.

On Ireland...way too early.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:37 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

I disagree with this. So far the secondary is better but we still can't cover a TE or back on a delayed release.

On Ireland...way too early.

These linebackers blitz better than Dansby and Burnett ever did as evidenced by Phillip Wheeler's game clinching sack.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

These linebackers blitz better than Dansby and Burnett ever did as evidenced by Phillip Wheeler's game clinching sack.

Two games in and Wheeler has already made a game changing play. To be honest, I don't remember Dansby or Burnett making a game changing play.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:25 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I will give the man credit if we unseat the Pats and we finally start making the playoffs. 2-0 is nice and all, but we haven't accomplished anything yet. He needs to earn the credit, not be given it in a vacuum.

At the very least though, he gets some of the skepticism dialed down.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

When the OL is shored up, I'll praise him. Until then, we still have a ginormous problem up front on offense which has been there for a while.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:07 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
I will give the man credit if we unseat the Pats and we finally start making the playoffs. 2-0 is nice and all, but we haven't accomplished anything yet. He needs to earn the credit, not be given it in a vacuum.

At the very least though, he gets some of the skepticism dialed down.

Agreed. Miami started 2-0 in 2010 and the wheels came off. The difference though was that Henne could game manage but not put the team on his shoulders. I don't sense that with Tannehill. He's made clutch plays when needed so far. Would still like to see some more TD passes.

Post Parcells Ireland seems to have hit on his 3 first round picks (Pouncey, Tannehill, Jordan). Yeah Jordan has been limited, but he's made a few plays and his potential is through the roof. His other picks and free agent moves have been mixed.

This feels like a 10-6 team with serious playoff potential.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:16 am

Makchell wrote:

Two games in and Wheeler has already made a game changing play. To be honest, I don't remember Dansby or Burnett making a game changing play.

Wheeler is a mixed bag. He'll make a great play, then get knocked off his feet and allow a big run or a big catch. Ellerbe is pretty much a Dansby Clone. It is too early to say with any certainty. Wheeler is very fast...so he makes up for a lot of bad reads with speed. Miami's defense played better as a unit with Dansby and Burnett...but that could be due to both LB's still learning on the job. Dansby and Burnetts first year on the job took 6 games in before they gelled. Secondary is much better than last years but we were fielding a couple of FA pickups as starters. When this group gets healthy....it will be tough for QBs to find a window. I'm cautiously optimisitc.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:07 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I haven't seen Roto's take on the Dolphins games so far. Let them eat s**t

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Not only is it time to give credit to Ireland........but it's also time to give credit to Ross. No, he's not a quiet owner like Huizenga , but he's not cheap like Robbie either.

I used to think the Silent Owner was the way to own/develop a team........look at the disasters at Oakland, Dallas and Washington. After further thought, I now believe it takes a proper mix. Ross is a self made multi-billionaire, he understands how to build a winner and the leadership required to do it. Don't get heavily involved in player personnel, like the other teams mentioned, but acquire the Leaders to propel your organization.

I'm not a fan of the minority celebrity ownership or comparisons of Henne to Marino, but like Ireland, he made some early mistakes. The decision not to reach too far for Fisher and bring in Philbin was his.........also, to retain a fairly young GM despite fan sentiment.........was his. 20/20 hindsight ..........Ross was dead on.

Also, it was nice to see him in the locker room in Indy.........not to grab the attention, but to be a part of the team's success.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:45 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Funny what winning can do.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:53 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ireland picks guys to fit what the coach wants to do. The plan of the previous coach just did not work. Philbin's system is proven. Ireland has done well getting players to fit that system, but I give most of the credit to Philbin coaching them into a team. Still a long way to go, but its been a long time since Ive been this happy with the direction the Dolphins are going.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Our '13 draft class has done squat so far besides Caleb so let's not get carried away.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Miami's defense played better as a unit with Dansby and Burnett...

You are smoking some serious crack. Miami's defense never got 6 sacks and 3 picks in a game, even against a lowly team like the Browns, with Dansby and Burnett in there.

And in case you forget, the Dansby/Burnett led defense last year gave up over 400 yards passing to Andrew Luck and we lost. That defense could not make plays when it mattered most. In the 4th quarter and on third downs.

This defense is allowing opponents to convert third downs 27% of the time, bringing pressure in crunch time and causing turnovers.

It's not even close so far.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:18 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
Our '13 draft class has done squat so far besides Caleb so let's not get carried away.

I don't think anyone's '13 draft class has really done anything. We are only two games into '13. It takes 2-3 years to truly evaluate a draft.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:35 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
Funny what winning can do.

Funny what having a qb can do.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:59 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Ski_Money wrote:
When the OL is shored up, I'll praise him. Until then, we still have a ginormous problem up front on offense which has been there for a while.

This is what I was thinking as soon as i read the topic title. Tannehill is weekly surviving a gauntlet. I don't know that keeping Long at LT & Martin at RT, or getting Branden Albert would have been the answer but Clabo & Jerry are struggling. If they don't shape up soon then we've likely seen our QB, & therefor the rest of this team, plateau.

I'll go as far to say that the offseason acquisitions Ireland made were necessary and good ones with the exception of our biggest problem remaining mostly unaddressed

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:12 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Funny what having a qb can do.

You're right about that.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Miami's defense played better as a unit with Dansby and Burnett...

Gary!!! Are you feeling okay dude??? Brandon Fields could out run those guys to the corner edge!!

I am VERY happy so far with the athleticism and speed side to side of Ellerbe and Wheeler and to me it isn't even close and a big upgrade. Sure Dansby and Burnett piled up some tackles, but they are not speedy game changers.

Ireland IMO did great making the switch.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:28 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
Gary!!! Are you feeling okay dude??? Brandon Fields could out run those guys to the corner edge!!

I am VERY happy so far with the athleticism and speed side to side of Ellerbe and Wheeler and to me it isn't even close and a big upgrade. Sure Dansby and Burnett piled up some tackles, but they are not speedy game changers.

Ireland IMO did great making the switch.

Ehhhh .... where Ellerbe/Wheller excel is in the pass rush category. The defense as a whole got faster with their athleticism and it's helped in getting to the QB (especially with hurries). Because of this, our secondary has looked better when it comes to players outside of Jones/Grimes and turnovers have been created.

Against the run, we're giving up 4.6 yards/carry right now when last year we gave up 4.0. Say what you want about Dansby/Burnett, but they could always be counted on in run support. Wheeler is a little light in the pants and that's why I believe he can be a liability at times in that department.

Neither duo proved or has proven to be effective against TE's.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:52 am

I think its too early to tell. When I looked back on 2011 (Dansby and Burnetts first 6 games) the defense was atrocious. Then it all came together and they finished strong. The defense wasn't bad last year but was lacking in the turnover catagory. I acknowledged the secondary is better, more athletic, and is an improvement. With some random TE running as free as a naked streaker through a soccer match last weekend, I'm still not convinced we're getting "better" play from our LBs. I'll stand by my prediction that the defense has the potential to be special this year but as a unit the team gave up less ground last year.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 am

5.3 vs 5.8
That is the yards per play allowed by the defense from last year to this year. All of us would trade a few more yards for the turnovers they're producing so the stats aren't telling the entire story. What they do say is this defense bends a lot more than last years group. My feeling is once the players fully understand Croyles system, they'll gel and get better.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Against the run, we're giving up 4.6 yards/carry right now when last year we gave up 4.0.

It is a statistical fact that we're giving up 4.6 ypc.

But that is inflated by 4 Andrew Luck runs. If you take those out, the number drops to 4.05 ypc.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]