View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 The AFC East is wide open 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post The AFC East is wide open
If any of you watched last night's game, it showed us all that the AFC East is winnable for us.

Armando Salguero wrote:
As I tweeted to my Twitter followers, when Dolphins receiver Brian Hartline said in the spring that Miami has the best wide receiver corps in the AFC East, he was absolutely right.

And this:

While both the Jets and the Patriots will likely do some growing and improving, neither seems scary. Neither seems impressive. The Dolphins look as good or better than both those teams right now.

The AFC East is wide open.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:22 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: The AFC East is wide open
just irritating how the NFL decided to schedule our games. There should always be divisional games at the beginning and the end of the season. The Pats opened up with 2 back-to-back.
We do't even get one for the first 6 weeks. Makes zero sense.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:26 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

When Miami comes out of this brutal next 4 game stretch with some victories I will feel better.

Right now the struggling Pats are still 2-0, but you always stay weary of them and you know Brady will demand better results and timing from his receivers as the season goes on and the reality is they get Gronkowski back and when Amendola is healthy that offense is immediately better than what we witnessed last night and the Pats could have EASILY scored 2-3 more touchdowns if not for the timing being off with his young rookie receivers.

Also, the Jets defense is still good enough not to take for granted either.

Let's see Miami get some more wins and against tougher opponents before we get too excited as I have been lulled into this mindset one too many times over the past 10 years.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:15 am
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

I know I'm usually a bit negative. But I have to agree one hundred percent. Miami has an extremely high chance of making the playoffs based on what I've seen these past two weeks.

The patriots looked awful. I mean absolutely disgusting. It's no wonder Buffalo was beating the Patriots for most of ther first week's game. Brady was so awful with timing his throws to his new receivers that I was actually embarrassed for him. And I absolutely hate the Patriots. For me to be embarrassed for them speaks volumes.

The only thing I'm worried about is that Belicheat usually finds cheap ways to win games when it really matters. But without as much talent, he might not find a way.

I also think that as much as we hate the Jet's coach. I think he was brilliant about the timing of when he would blitz Brady. He also took risks of stacking against the punt instead of having punts returned.

I always thought that if you play the Patriots you should take these chances because you are probably going to lose anyways. So you might as well try putting pressure on the Patriots. Brady folds under pressure every now and then.

We are finally seeing the failure of the team that cheated their asses off duing their so called glory seasons.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:23 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

What we are finally seeing is time catching up to a dynasty. 12 years is long enough. They all eventually come to an end. I am just glad that it is us who are the new kings of the division.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:33 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
Also, the Jets defense is still good enough not to take for granted either.
I think Finhead has a mancruch on Gino... :ann0y:

Jets suck. Gino had no pressure and blew chunks last night. Keep him in the pocket and make him throw to beat him.

Patriots got lucky with the schedule. Missing two key players they get two weak sisters out of the gate...Miami...they get the most brutal schedule on Earth.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Jets suck. Gino had no pressure and blew chunks last night. Keep him in the pocket and make him throw to beat him.

Junkie: Does Gino play DEFENSE? I said the Jets DEFENSE is nothing to take for granted. Maybe if you would pay attention more you could answer back more appropriately!!

:ann0y: :ann0y:

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Finhead34 wrote:

Junkie: Does Gino play DEFENSE? I said the Jets DEFENSE is nothing to take for granted. Maybe if you would pay attention more you could answer back more appropriately!!

:ann0y: :ann0y:

Jet's Defense Sucks. They got zippo pressure on Brady last night and the WRs were wide open...just not catching the ball.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:47 pm

IF you want to point out an area of the jets that looks good...the OL looks to be solid from end to end.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Junkie: The Jets gave up 232 yards TOTAL OFFENSE. Brady was 4 out of 18 on third down and came away with only 9 first downs the ENTIRE GAME. Brady was a pedestrian 19 for 39 -185 yards.

In addition, The Pats held the ball ONLY for a whopping 26 minutes the entire game.

Drops or no drops (which I know there were a few) those are still fairly impressive stats for the Jets defense to come up with against a Brady led team that also applied no pressure......

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm sorry but this stuff is funny to me. We had a 1 score lead until 4 minutes into the 4th quarter. The Patriots have played close games against division rivals (winning them) and suddenly we're the AFC East Champs.

Let's not get too cocky here fellas. I can only imagine the excuses our fans would be doling out if we were down our best receiver, our best runningback, and our best TE. Well, technically we started the season down Keller, not that he's the caliber of Gronk though. Shane Vereen accounted for 21 touches and 160 yards of offense last week vs. the Bills. Amendola had 10 grabs (14 targets) for 104 yards. You think those guys' absences aren't felt?

The injuries to the Patriots allows us to POTENTIALLY get a head start on them in the division, but the real tests comes when they're healthy and Brady has developed in-season chemistry with those younger players. Not to mention their defense has been pretty darn sturdy so far. Unfortunately for us, we have a harder schedule in the early going. That might neutralize the injury bug element in this until we face them at the end of October.

The fact remains, the opportunity to get a leg up is there. Will this team take advantage of the opportunity?

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Finhead - There was at least 200yds of offense left on the field. Two dropped TD passes and a couple of bombs. Sorry, the Jets D wasn't that great...the Patriots offense was really that bad. Go watch the game. Brady had all day to throw but only one receiver who could catch the ball.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Rock - way too much Patriots love there bro' ...Seriously Keller is no Gronk but his loss with respect to the Dolphins is just as large. Injuries are a part of the game...as they say.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rock - way too much Patriots love there bro' ...Seriously Keller is no Gronk but his loss with respect to the Dolphins is just as large. Injuries are a part of the game...as they say.

I'm not arguing against injuries being a part of the game. I just pointed out that they have time to get healthy. It's just logic, not love. It's common sense that the absence of Gronk, Vereen, and Amendola were going to be an issue. People were already questioning the offense to begin with.

Right now we have an advantage based on being relatively injury-free, aside from Keller. I've previously attested to the problems his loss created though, while some told me we'd get over it using a combination of guys. At this stage, I don't count on seeing that .... instead the 3WR will become a staple. However, like I said our schedule could be the neutralizing factor right now in terms of getting a jump on them.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
I'm sorry but this stuff is funny to me. We've played 1 game vs. the hapless Browns in which we didn't separate from a 10-10 game until 4 minutes into the 4th quarter. ?

Uh, no...? That game never went to 10-10 considering we had 6 pts. I don't recall the defense registering two safeties either.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Uh, no...? That game never went to 10-10 considering we had 6 pts. I don't recall the defense registering two safeties either.

Wait 17-10 .... my bad.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Patriots have no one to blame but themselves..Honestly there were some very bad personnel moves that led to this just like 2006 and 2008...They shot themselves in the foot.

As long as the Raiders don't let them pick over the roster again for a 4th rounder it looks like Super Bowl is out of the question.

Love the Shula special the other night "I root for whoever is playing the Patriots"
Also they went out of the way to point out Shula would not CHEAT..And told a story about Zonk finding the game plan of the Raiders..

He threw it away Billycheat!

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I'm not arguing against injuries being a part of the game. I just pointed out that they have time to get healthy. It's just logic, not love. It's common sense that the absence of Gronk, Vereen, and Amendola were going to be an issue. People were already questioning the offense to begin with.

Right now we have an advantage based on being relatively injury-free, aside from Keller. I've previously attested to the problems his loss created though, while some told me we'd get over it using a combination of guys. At this stage, I don't count on seeing that .... instead the 3WR will become a staple. However, like I said our schedule could be the neutralizing factor right now in terms of getting a jump on them.

That's their own bad judgement for putting all of their faith in Gronkowski, Amendola (2 fragile players) and Hernandez (they knew he had off-field issues). I bet if it was Miami you wouldn't feel sorry for them, you'd be ridiculing Ireland for it.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
I'm sorry but this stuff is funny to me. We've played 1 game vs. the hapless Browns in which we didn't separate from a 10-10 game until 4 minutes into the 4th quarter. ?

:)

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:48 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

swerve13 wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

:)

:stalker:

I saw nothing last night that tells me we don't have a chance against the Pats. Captain dink and dunk was at it again. This year though, that's all he has. The key to beating the Pats?....make the first tackle.

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:52 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Hen wrote:
:stalker:

I saw nothing last night that tells me we don't have a chance against the Pats. Captain dink and dunk was at it again. This year though, that's all he has. The key to beating the Pats?....make the first tackle.

I don't think there's a person on this forum right now who thinks we don't have a chance.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:18 pm

The Patriots are the one with a chance. We should be the one that is a lock.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:44 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The injuries to the Patriots allows us to POTENTIALLY get a head start on them in the division

Yep/

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

As Armando pointed out, even when Gronk and Amendola come back, they are risky propositions at best with their injury histories. Yes, Brady's timing was off with the young guys but from what I saw, timing wasn't the biggest issue, drops were. Belicheat has a horrible track record of drafting WRs, and so far we haven't seen anything to change that evaluation. Their best chance is to slow the offense down, ride Ridley as far as he will take them and let the defense keep things close. Kind of like our offense the past decade, with the rather significant addition of an elite QB. Teams like that sometimes win divisions, but not superbowls, usually.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:08 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't think there's a person on this forum right now who thinks we don't have a chance.

Rock, I absolutely agree with this comment. Look, UNTIL our fins actually start winning the bigger games and then beat the Patriots, it isn't about giving the Pats love or extra credit. They have been our nemesis for years and proof is in the win column and they have been the perennial champs of the AFC East.

However, this season, I am more optimistic than I have been in YEARS that the Dolphins can finally start getting a leg up on these guys, but I know better as a Miami Dolphins fan to let one win against Cleveland start having me thump my chest.

At Indy, Atlanta home, at New Orleans, Ravens home will tell A LOT about this team and if we start winning against these teams, imagine the confidence boost that gives Miami going into the rest of the schedule?

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:34 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If not now ... WHEN?

If the Dolphins can't win the AFC East with the bills, jets and pats in the state they are in now, when will they ever?

Sure, the Dolphins could continue to build, but don't expect the rest of the division to not do the same. Those teams are not going to stay down. If you don't think you can do a thing, then you probably won't. Have some confidence. Start the winning tradition this year.

The AFC East looks much easier to win than the NFC East (giants, eagles, skins, cowpies). No reason we should not expect an AFC East Championship from this Dolphins team. It is a very attainable goal. Anything less would be failure! No wildcard. Hello playoffs!

Go DOLPHINS!

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:53 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rodneyfaile wrote:
If not now ... WHEN?

If the Dolphins can't win the AFC East with the bills, jets and pats in the state they are in now, when will they ever?

Sure, the Dolphins could continue to build, but don't expect the rest of the division to not do the same. Those teams are not going to stay down. If you don't think you can do a thing, then you probably won't. Have some confidence. Start the winning tradition this year.

The AFC East looks much easier to win than the NFC East (giants, eagles, skins, cowpies). No reason we should not expect an AFC East Championship from this Dolphins team. It is a very attainable goal. Anything less would be failure! No wildcard. Hello playoffs!

Go DOLPHINS!

how bout for the next 10 years? sound good?

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 pm
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

I agree that this does not mean Miami will win AFC east. But this means the Patriots couldn't hang with any decent teams based on first two games. The Texans would murder the Patriots next time as would at least six other teams.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

It doesn't mean they will, but I think it means they SHOULD.

Do you think it will ever get any easier than it is now? How much worse of a situation do the other AFC East teams have to be in?
The Dolphins had a great offseason. Winning the AFC East should be expected in the current situation.

If they go into it with the mindset of "maybe we can, if the patriots let us" then you can forget it.

The AFC East crown is sitting right there! Take it! Anything less is a fail for this season.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:21 am
Profile WWW

rodneyfaile wrote:
It doesn't mean they will, but I think it means they SHOULD.

Do you think it will ever get any easier than it is now? How much worse of a situation do the other AFC East teams have to be in?
The Dolphins had a great offseason. Winning the AFC East should be expected in the current situation.

If they go into it with the mindset of "maybe we can, if the patriots let us" then you can forget it.

The AFC East crown is sitting right there! Take it! Anything less is a fail for this season.

I agree with this. All 3 other teams have huge problems. They will rebuild (especially NE) but there is nothing any of those teams can really do any more for this current season.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:00 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I just hate the attitude of "maybe the Dolphins can win the AFC East if the patriots don't." You can't wait for the patriots to give it away, you have to go TAKE IT!

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You can't wait for the patriots to give it away, you have to go TAKE IT!

:awe:

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:01 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I just hate the attitude of "maybe the Dolphins can win the AFC East if the patriots don't." You can't wait for the patriots to give it away, you have to go TAKE IT!

I agree Rodney, but right now I am more focused on winning games starting with Indy today, Atlanta, New Orleans, Baltimore and Buffalo BEFORE we even get to play the Pats.

Those games leading up will set the team's attitude and confidence before we finally face them.

If Miami can start beating playoff caliber teams and take care of business, no doubt I believe Miami can compete well and even take down the Pats. Let's hope for success during this next 5 game stretch!

During this same stretch the Pats play the Bucs home, away at Atlanta, away at Cinncinati, Saints home then at the Jets.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:

I agree Rodney, but right now I am more focused on winning games starting with Indy today, Atlanta, New Orleans, Baltimore and Buffalo BEFORE we even get to play the Pats.

Those games leading up will set the team's attitude and confidence before we finally face them.

If Miami can start beating playoff caliber teams and take care of business, no doubt I believe Miami can compete well and even take down the Pats. Let's hope for success during this next 5 game stretch!

During this same stretch the Pats play the Bucs home, away at Atlanta, away at Cinncinati, Saints home then at the Jets.

Playing a tough schedule before we meet the pats is part of being all the more ready when we do play them. Beating one team at a time, like the Colts today, is part of winning the AFC East. I'm glad the schedule is tough early. This team needs it. They need to learn who they are.

I am sick of this tuck-rule spy-gate cry-brady belicheat so-called dynasty. Out with the old, in with the new. Kick 'em all while they are down and take their lunch money.

GO Dolphins!

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]