View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Joe Philbin gives Miami Dolphins players Thursdays off 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Joe Philbin gives Miami Dolphins players Thursdays off
The Miami Dolphins decided to swim against the NFL tide this season when coach Joe Philbin switched the players' off day from Tuesday to Thursday.

"We're giving it a whirl," Philbin said, per the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

The norm in the NFL is to give players Tuesday off from practice to let their bodies rest after Sunday's game. That day off also gives coaches the opportunity to study film and prep for upcoming practices and that week's game.

"It's an adjustment; I feel great right now," guard Richie Incognito said of the switch. "Definitely, later on in the season, coming in on Tuesday and Wednesday is going to be a grind."

Philbin said his staff "stumbled" onto the change following the Dolphins' Thursday night game before Thanksgiving last season. The break gave Philbin an opportunity to give his players the holiday off. He said players told him they felt more fresh for the next game.

"I talked to some people in the offseason in regard to performance, the timing of things," Philbin said. "It's all about preparing your team and giving them the best chance to perform to their potential on Sunday."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... e-schedule

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:08 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Joe Philbin gives Miami Dolphins players Thursdays off
I'm skeptical. It gives the coaches less time to install the game plan, since they now have to do it on Tuesday/Wednesday, instead of Wednesday/Thursday.

It also means they won't be practicing as physical, which could be a good thing to keep them fresh for gameday, or as Richie said, by the end of the season the practices will be a grind. Whether it's on Tuesday/Wednesday, Wednesday/Thursday, or Friday/Saturday, bad practices are not a good recipe for success.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:47 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
I'm skeptical. It gives the coaches less time to install the game plan, since they now have to do it on Tuesday/Wednesday, instead of Wednesday/Thursday.

Are there less hours in a Tuesday than a Thursday or something?

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Are there less hours in a Tuesday than a Thursday or something?

No, but they're now down to Monday to watch tape and get it all ready, instead of Monday & Tuesday before beginning installing it.

Not only that but QB's usually start on Tuesday, so they know it before the rest of the team Wednesday. Not sure how that dynamic now works.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:15 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
I'm skeptical. It gives the coaches less time to install the game plan, since they now have to do it on Tuesday/Wednesday, instead of Wednesday/.

What difference does it make? Sherman will scrap his game plan at halftime anyways.

:fart:

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]