View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Marshall offers Moss-like impact in Miami 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Marshall offers Moss-like impact in Miami
Man, I hope Marshall can handle all the "savior" hype being laid on him. Hopefully he will just come in and just play within himself, and not try to do everything that the media is saying he will do.

ESPN wrote:
Marshall offers Moss-like impact in Miami
April, 16, 2010
By Tim Graham
Remember how the New England Patriots' offense transformed when Randy Moss joined them?

Chad Pennington believes that's the kind of affect Brandon Marshall will have on the Miami Dolphins.

"I think it's comparable to when New England acquired Randy," said Pennington, the Dolphins quarterback and college teammate of Moss' at Marshall -- the university, not Brandon.

Pennington's comments ran in a Miami Herald story by David J. Neal.

"Before New England acquired Randy, they were a consistent offense, but they weren't as explosive," Pennington said. "You've seen what they've done over the last two years with Randy in the mix, especially with their undefeated year.

"Now, they're a little bit different player. They're different in a lot of ways. But as far as the impact, in a lot of ways, I think that's what it's comparable to.''

In 2006, the season before the Patriots traded for Moss, they ranked 11th in total offense, 12th in rushing offense and 12th in passing offense.

The next season, the Patriots ranked first in total offense, 13th in rushing offense and first in passing offense. They averaged 295.7 passing yards a game and 50 touchdown receptions.

In a blog from Palm Beach Post reporter Edgar Thompson, Dolphins starting quarterback Chad Henne explained how Marshall's presence will open up the passing game for Brian Hartline, Davone Bess and Greg Camarillo, too.

"You're going to get a lot more double coverage on Brandon, and that'll give us some access to our other receivers and let them work," Henne said. "So overall I think for our receiving corps a lot of guys are going to get some more balls because the attention is going to Brandon."

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:50 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Marshall offers Moss-like impact in Miami
Well, they were explosive with Moss & Welker.

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:10 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

They were also a better more complete team. It would be wrong to lay the savior status on Marshall as he is one piece of a puzzle that still needs more pieces to complete it. One thing about giving these type of players the weight of the team on their shoulders is that when the going gets tough they will start going off at the mouth.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:39 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

All of the "savior" talk would be a serious problem, if it were not for Sparano and Parcells. The Miami Dolphins have QUALITY coaching and management in place. I am sure their voices will reach B. Marshall a lot more than fans or media.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Marshall isn't necessarily an "explosive" player like Moss. What he brings is great hands, consistency, and gives the QB a big target that can catch the ball anywhere in his vicinity. I would compare him more with a Boldin than a Moss.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:28 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Marshall isn't necessarily an "explosive" player like Moss. What he brings is great hands, consistency, and gives the QB a big target that can catch the ball anywhere in his vicinity. I would compare him more with a Boldin than a Moss.

I'd compare him with more of an Andre Johnson.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:09 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Iowafin wrote:
Rich wrote:

He doesn't have Andre Johnson's track speed, but other than that it is very close. That is why Dre is a top 2 WR in the NFL though and Marshall is 3rd IMO.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:16 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I would say more like Fitz,then anybody/not Fitz just more like him IMO

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

nbrewer22 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Rich wrote:

He doesn't have Andre Johnson's track speed, but other than that it is very close. That is why Dre is a top 2 WR in the NFL though and Marshall is 3rd IMO.

Agreed.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Rich wrote:

Without the speed, sure. Andre is extremely explosive though. Best WR in the NFL bar none.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Best WR in the NFL bar none.

Do you know what the phrase means? It means he sets the bar for everyone else in the league. Are you telling me that Larry Fitzgerald isn't the measuring stick in the NFL today?

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Do you know what the phrase means? It means he sets the bar for everyone else in the league. Are you telling me that Larry Fitzgerald isn't the measuring stick in the NFL today?

Yes. Andre has everything that Fitz has and then some.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Yes. Andre has everything that Fitz has and then some.

Interesting.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:02 pm

I agree with Phins Rock.

Johnson possesses a gear that Fitzgerald does not.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

One thing I would like to point out is that Andre Johnson and Brandon Marshall have done extremely well with mediocre quarterbacks throwing them the ball. Fitzgerald has had the benefit of catching passes from Kurt Warner. Even when Jay Cutler left Denver and Marshall didn't have a big arm quarterback with him he still performed excellent. Let's wait and see how Fitzgerald does this year with some scrub throwing him the ball. If he still puts up big numbers then give the man his dues, but something tells me he's going to struggle a lot this year. The double teams are coming, and I just don't see another 100 catch/1,000 yard season for him.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Top end speed or not, we finally have a huge go to target that fights for the ball and is not afraid of contact. The only phrase i can express is " it's gonna be exciting"!!!

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]