View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ryan Tannehill 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Ryan Tannehill
Okay, RT's turn under the microscope. Here's a screenshot where he takes a sack. Like most young QBs, RT has to see the guy open which leads to him not getting the ball out on time. His head always looking to the right moves the safety toward Clay...hindsight is simple, but this occurs a lot. If he took the snap and looked the safety off and then threw to Gibson...this is six. If he released now and lead Wallace...its 6 because Haden was planted. Instead he focused on the rusher and absorbed the sack. If Miami is going to make noise this year, he'll have to step into some of these hits and deliver the football by throwing the guy open.Image

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:23 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Ryan Tannehill
Or just throw it away..I thought he could have done that a couple times instead of taking a sack

Gibson looks wide open on that play according to that picture.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich and I commented about this play in the chatroom when it occurred. Tannehill would have had to throw it quckly to avoid the sack. Hopefully the timing and trust needed to make these type plays will come.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm sure the DT 2 feet away staring into his eyes has nothing to do with his inability to see that Clay or Gibson could be open.

They showed the replay of this on TV from a ground level view. He didn't have a prayer unless he fired the ball 10 feet over Wallace's head to avoid intentional grounding.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:55 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

It's easy to look at a still and say 'he could have done this or that'.

I remember looking at that play in motion and thinking there was no way he would have gotten the throw off in time with the pressure in his face. If he's cocking back to throw and gets hit, now you have a fumble.

Gibson wound up being pretty wide open on that play though. With a little better protection, it's a TD.

Jerry got pushed back a few times... for a guy that weighs so much, he was getting moved around too easily.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:00 pm

My first thought is he has single coverage on Wallace...throw it and take the hit. You're right it happens fast...which is why I said you throw him open. Put some air on it and let him run under it.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:02 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
My first thought is he has single coverage on Wallace...throw it and take the hit. You're right it happens fast...which is why I said you throw him open. Put some air on it and let him run under it.

Again, easy to say from a still photo.

But the DT is right there... and Tannehill isn't going to think... oh wow right now Haden is biting on the double move...

What you're saying is just not realistic.

The one thing Tannehill could have done based on the protection was roll to his left, though.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:04 pm

I'll disagree. Haden was flat footed on the play. There was no double move. Wallace runs right past him and gets a couple of yards on him. My criticism is Tannehill has to anticipate that better than he has been. On a couple of the underneath throws...there were guys like Gibson wide open down field. He has to start attacking secondaries rather than dumping off to the outlet receiver.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
I'll disagree. Haden was flat footed on the play.

Haden did a nice job of bumping Wallace off his routes and throwing off the timing. They showed it on a few replays.

Tannehill will learn from experience. What I saw yesterday was much better than anything I saw last year. But still, he needs to improve a few things.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:23 pm

jammer wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
I'll disagree. Haden was flat footed on the play.

Haden did a nice job of bumping Wallace off his routes and throwing off the timing. They showed it on a few replays.

Tannehill will learn from experience. What I saw yesterday was much better than anything I saw last year. But still, he needs to improve a few things.

Tannehill was definitely better than last year. When he has to take risks...I think we'll see he has more game he's holding onto. Just like that drive in the 2nd half where he hit Hartline in stride. I'm excited...again this Browns team might finish 2nd in their division. They're not a bad team.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You can do the same breakdown with Rogers, Manning, Manning, Brady, Marino, Montana, Elway, Young and every other QB in the league, top tier, mid tier or bottom tier.

Tannehill has shown good development so far. Don't make the mistake of believing he has to have a 150 QB rating to be what this team needs.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

degs wrote:
Don't make the mistake of believing he has to have a 150 QB rating to be what this team needs.

A QB can throw for 15 touchdowns and 0 interceptions in one game, and still wouldn't get a 150 rating lol, scale doesn't go that high.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
degs wrote:
Don't make the mistake of believing he has to have a 150 QB rating to be what this team needs.

A QB can throw for 15 touchdowns and 0 interceptions in one game, and still wouldn't get a 150 rating lol, scale doesn't go that high.

Maybe I should have said 350, just to impress my point more.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:10 pm

This is another example of him not looking for a big play first....Wallace is wide open in the endzone. Here it didn't matter because Miami scored anyway. But in bigger games, he'll have get a little more greedy than he is now.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:39 pm

degs wrote:
You can do the same breakdown with Rogers, Manning, Manning, Brady, Marino, Montana, Elway, Young and every other QB in the league, top tier, mid tier or bottom tier.

Tannehill has shown good development so far. Don't make the mistake of believing he has to have a 150 QB rating to be what this team needs.

Sure but those guys also find enough of those big plays to put most games out of reach.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:43 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

This is another example of him not looking for a big play first....Wallace is wide open in the endzone. Here it didn't matter because Miami scored anyway. But in bigger games, he'll have get a little more greedy than he is now.

That pic is a joke. The ball is in Gibson's hands already and that LB broke off his zone (covering Wallace) to tackle Gibson. Very misleading IMO.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Makchell wrote:

That pic is a joke. The ball is in Gibson's hands already and that LB broke off his zone (covering Wallace) to tackle Gibson. Very misleading IMO.

The LB was in zone....Wallace came from behind him. I just watched the play live.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:

So get greedy in that you focus on the big play, the one that takes time to develop...
But don't stand back and hold the ball so long you could get sacked.

Got it!

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:46 pm

Since both Tannehill and Wallace are running to the right and the pass would be thrown where Wallace would be, the corner to the right would have a great chance to make a play on the ball. Again, stills are misleading.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

degs wrote:
Maybe I should have said 350, just to impress my point more.

Lol right on bro.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I would love to compare this to pics of both of Luck's TD tosses Sunday. Pressure was intense on both and he stood in and delivered strikes.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I love that Tannehill isn't one of those pocket fumbler QB's. When he takes a sack he covers the ball up tight and goes to the ground. I love that about him. He always gives his team another chance. Lots of QB's try to make a bad situation worse by trying to throw when guys are hanging on to their arms and lose the ball to the other team.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:48 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

First shot, Wallace is blanketed and he didn't have time to get through his progression before getting dozed in to the dirt so I think taking the sack was the smart/safe thing to do there. Had he tried to throw it off at that point you risk a tip/fumble/pic etc. Cover it and pray you can get back up was the right thing to do. On the 2nd pic, consider the passing lane as well as the tight zone that occured before the ball left his hands. Wallace may have been a tad open, but there was no lane to safely laser the ball in and a floater would have had 2 defenders on it in a second. Still a good play in my opinion.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I would need to see this play in game time speed as Tannehill was already throwing to Gibson, hence the defender in the top right was already breaking towards Gibson. Hard to tell had Tannehill looked to the back of the end zone for Wallace that the defender wouldn't have just dropped back in the lane.

I think every game a QB, even the best of the them will miss something that was open, but the good news is on this play he did hit Gibson.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:13 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think the passing game was on point on Sunday. Had we been able to get some ground game going I think the score would have ridiculously one sided.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:18 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I agree he had some spots where he should have tried, any time a safety is not over the top of Wallace he is open, this is something Tannehill needs to get comfortable with. Not many DB's will be able to keep up, and many will end up grabbing a jersey and getting us the call.

He is young, it was week one and most of his "scared play" was in the first half. In the second he took a few shots, and seemed to get rid of the ball faster.

I was not impressed with his performance at times. But, being we rushed the ball for 20 yards all day, I think its pretty clear that the outcome of the game was on his shoulders. We won, so he did what we need him to do.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:37 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

What is the point of these pictures or saying "well Andrew Luck didn't have a problem"?

The kid came through in the clutch and delivered a win against a good defense. All I've heard so far are a bunch of "if's" about why Tannehill should have been better or why Miami really didn't produce 23 points.

What's funny is that it used to be the opposite. If only this or that happened Miami would have won.

One game at a time people. Just enjoy the win.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:46 am

Rich wrote:
Since both Tannehill and Wallace are running to the right and the pass would be thrown where Wallace would be, the corner to the right would have a great chance to make a play on the ball. Again, stills are misleading.

go back and watch the video then. When Tannehill throws to Hartline, Wallace is breaking free in the back. It would've been an easy touchdown.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:23 am

I find it absolutely hilarious that criticism of any player, officiating, or coaching calls on these threads ellicits such passionate defenses. Tannehill played a solid game. Even the INT was a tip ...ie good play by the LB. He was deadly accurate for the most part. The point of my PICs is the young man needs to take the training wheels off and take a few risks. As someone pointed out....Wallace with one guy covering him is open. Throw the ball. Take a look deep. Tannehill throughout the game took the first guy to come open underneath. That conservative approach worked against an offensively anemic team like Cleveland. They're going to have to put more points up against Indy to beat them this week and a few more chances are going to have to be made.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:29 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rich wrote:

go back and watch the video then. When Tannehill throws to Hartline, Wallace is breaking free in the back. It would've been an easy touchdown.

Not sure which play you're talking about... I'm talking about the throw to Brandon Gibson where you pointed out that Wallace was open in the back of the endzone. He wasn't sitting in a hole in the zone. He was running left to right, there is a cornerback 10 yards to his right who can make a play on the ball and there is a linebacker dropping off coverage since your picture already shows the ball hitting Gibson, meaning you provided a still AFTER the ball was thrown and defenders were breaking off coverage to make the tackle.

Like I said already, these stills are misleading. It would make more sense to show 4 or 5 stills of the sequence of each play rather than picking the one microsecond in time that happens to show a player who is uncovered because the ball was already thrown and the defender already peeled off to make a tackle.

Thanks for the effort, though. But clearly everyone else sees what I am seeing.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:31 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
I find it absolutely hilarious that criticism of any player, officiating, or coaching calls on these threads ellicits such passionate defenses.

It's not as hilarious as how bent out of shape you get when people disagree with you...

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:33 am

Wallace actually sat in the space and then moved to the right from here.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Its not a defense of Tannehill. I've said several times there are improvements he needs to make. His interception was terrible and I'll bet he missed a few reads.

He fired the ball deep to Wallace at least 4 times with two of them being good throws where Wallace was knocked off his route. He also had the beatiful TD pass to Hartline. He took plenty of chances despite the fact that the defense was expecting him to pass.

On your last pic its not so cut and dry. He throws a rope and that linebacker could make an atheltic interception. He tries to lob it over and the safety has time to make a play on it. Again, not so simple.

He did the smart thing and got the first down. They needed to seal the deal, not make a big play to turn the tide of the game. I believe that was the drive where Thomas scored a touchdown so again, what is the point of focusing on this one play? We're playing a game of if's in the wrong direction..

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:03 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
It's easy to look at a still and say 'he could have done this or that'.

I remember looking at that play in motion and thinking there was no way he would have gotten the throw off in time with the pressure in his face. If he's cocking back to throw and gets hit, now you have a fumble.

Gibson wound up being pretty wide open on that play though. With a little better protection, it's a TD.

Jerry got pushed back a few times... for a guy that weighs so much, he was getting moved around too easily.

You nailed it...........the title of this topic should be O Line........not Tannehill. The failure here is pass blocking.......not Tannehill.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:10 am

Quote:
On your last pic its not so cut and dry. He throws a rope and that linebacker could make an atheltic interception. He tries to lob it over and the safety has time to make a play on it. Again, not so simple.

If an NFL QB can't make this throw 10 out of 10 times, they should retire. In NFL terms, that is as much space as a WR is ever going to have.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:12 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I find the criticizm to be very much appropriate and acceptable. I saw the same thing Junkie did, I expected our offensive attack to be more explosive and I expected RT to spread the ball more.

The only thing I can say he might see in the last picture is the defender in between. He would have to lob it over his head, thinking about all the tipped balls, taking the vlocity away, the CB to the right might be able to get there. The safe play was made.
However the other option was there and not taken. I saw it a few times, and saw a few things early on that were unsettling. It seemed to work itself out in the 2nd half, but his accuracy down field was bad.

We will see in the upcoming weels how the plan changes as we find ourselves needing to score more.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:18 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:

There you go,that's the play I saw Wallace open

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:31 am

Yeap. Tannehill took the sure thing. As a former QB, you would put the ball top left on the D...and call it a TD

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:33 am

Quote:
You nailed it...........the title of this topic should be O Line........not Tannehill. The failure here is pass blocking.......not Tannehill.

No question Jerry let his guy through. My point was here RT was playing it close to the vest with a lead and a good defense. I'm curious to see if he stands in there and takes a few shots to deliver the ball. Cleveland blitzed very little so it'll be interesting to see how he performs under more pressure with plays like the above available. If the game is in the balance and he sees Wallace singled up going deep...I'd expect him to try a long outside shoulder throw.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:39 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

If an NFL QB can't make this throw 10 out of 10 times, they should retire. In NFL terms, that is as much space as a WR is ever going to have.

I noticed the CB sitting in the end zone on the right is conveniently out of that picture. You're first sentence would be 100% accurate without that little catch.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next