View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Dolphins get win — but not many answers 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins get win — but not many answers
Quote:
Dave Hyde Sun Sentinel Columnist

9:15 p.m. EDT, September 8, 2013

The Dolphins ranked 27th in scoring last year. They got rid of tackle Jake Long, receiver Davone Bess and running back Reggie Bush, who on Sunday had 191 yards of offense for Detroit. ...

How much will they miss Bush?

And how to get Wallace the ball?

For starters, they have to look at him. In the first half, Wallace wasn't thrown to. That was a halftime discussion, because two passes were thrown to him on the first second-half possession. He had two deep passes thrown to him that didn't connect.

"He's going to have a lot of passes thrown to him, believe me," Tannehill said.

Wallace left the locker, upset in victory, as a lot of Dolphins should have been on offense on some level. They got the win they wanted. But they didn't get the answers they need for this season to succeed.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins get win — but not many answers
I think Ryan is the one who is going to fix the situation with Wallace, I don't trust Philbin to take care of business. There will be plenty of games when we're going to need to go shot for shot with a high powered offense in the next 6 weeks. Plenty of opportunites to make it right and get him involved. it just wasn't in the cards today. We did what we had to do to win today.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:49 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Geez , it was a good win by a great team. Lets leave it at that.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:25 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

You can find fault with anything. The Dolphins did what they were supposed to do and I don't think anyone should expect Reggie Bush to keep putting up those kinds of numbers. And I can't imagine anyone would have traded Gibson for Bess on Sunday.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:48 am

Wallace will blow by Vontae at least a couple of times this week.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Too much is already being made out of Wallace after just one game. It wasn't like they didn't take some shots down field with him, however that being said if I am Wallace I am "wondering" why they didn't incorporate more quick slants.

Comments were made that Haden owned him and that's true on the expected deep routes, but IMO had the coaches did two step drop quick slants that could have sucked the defense up as it sure seemed like Haden was laying off 10-12 yards.

I think on the turf in Indy you bet you will see more Mike Wallace. Every week isn't going to be perfect, but I would like to see him get more involved in the short game too. The positive is that he absolutely opened up the passing game for the other receivers.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:27 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

It's been a few years since we started 1-0, so I'm just going to enjoy this week, even though it was an ugly win.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Run game is non existant, and thats not an exageration. Its pathetic. The oline is horrible at creating space, they managed to create a pocket a few times, but the pass protection was weak as well.

This is what they put on the field week one? I am thouroughly dissapointed.

Sure its W, but I saw nothing that makes me feel good about whats to come.

1-4 into the bye..

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:41 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

10acjed wrote:
Run game is non existant, and thats not an exageration. Its pathetic. The oline is horrible at creating space, they managed to create a pocket a few times, but the pass protection was weak as well.

1-4 into the bye..

The Browns defense is going to be one of the best defenses we face all year.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:45 am

Rich wrote:
10acjed wrote:

1-4 into the bye..

The Browns defense is going to be one of the best defenses we face all year.

Even significant improvement is well below average.

The Browns had their 2nd best run Defensive performance in their history....Not sure if that's 2002, or 1940's, but either way it shows how pathetic our run game was.

It wasn't even like their LB's were closing down holes quickly; there were no holes period. Lamar was looking at a brown jersey as soon as he got the football. There was so much penetration and so little movement along the line that I don't think I've ever seen a worse performance by our offense line.

And as 10acjed pointed out, the pass protection was poor as well. Those sacks were not on Tannehill, and Ryan honestly saved the offensive line from plenty. He's making ridiculously quick decisions, and any time he doesn't get rid of the football in less than 3 seconds, he's going down.

I'm never one for spending really high draft picks on offensive lineman, but it's become clear that it might become a necessity soon, because this group is a joke.

I have to watch the coaches tape today to see who the main culprits were, but as a unit they were historically bad and based on their Pre Season performance added to it, I have very little hope this run game will go anywhere all year, and as a result take this team down with them.

They're not beating any of their upcoming opponents like this. Cleveland might be an improved team, but they were without a lot of key players, and are not nearly as difficult an opponent as every one we're facing in the next month.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:25 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
I'm never one for spending really high draft picks on offensive lineman, but it's become clear that it might become a necessity soon, because this group is a joke.
Well, not to diminish the role of the running game but today's league is centered around throwing the ball ala the NE Patriots. I think it was pointed out by the announcer that the LBs were still biting on the play action fake well into the 3rd quarter. So the threat of the run was still there. With RT's accuracy on short throws...a quick throw is as good as a handoff. OL did a decent job of pass protection once they settled down.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:43 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
Well, not to diminish the role of the running game but today's league is centered around throwing the ball ala the NE Patriots. I think it was pointed out by the announcer that the LBs were still biting on the play action fake well into the 3rd quarter. So the threat of the run was still there. With RT's accuracy on short throws...a quick throw is as good as a handoff. OL did a decent job of pass protection once they settled down.

Yes, the running game is becoming diminished in today's NFL, but you still need to have that threat. Look at the two Super Bowl teams last season. Ray Rice, a top-flight running back. Frank Gore, still a very good back and Colin Kaepernick. You still have to be able to run the ball. 20 yards isn't going to be enough to make defenses respect our run game and is going to be a big detriment to our passing game if it continues.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:25 am
Profile WWW

Phins Rock wrote:
Even significant improvement is well below average.

The Browns had their 2nd best run Defensive performance in their history....Not sure if that's 2002, or 1940's, but either way it shows how pathetic our run game was.

The Browns were staying in their base 3-4 defense against our base 3WR offense. It is more difficult to run when you have one less legitimate blocker in there. The Dolphins substituted the running game with short throws to Brandon Gibson. The Browns were daring us to throw so we abandoned the running game.

Also, the design of the running plays was poor. Against a 3-4 defense, you try to run north/south, not to the outside. We kept trying to run to the outside or were telegraphing run plays with the type of motion we were using. Our offense was very vanilla all day.

So when you factor in that the Browns have a terrific front 7, they went all out to stop the run, we kept running outside running plays and predictable running plays, our offensive line wasn't getting any push and our starting running back is inexperienced, you get 20 yards on the ground.

When the Dolphins ran up the middle, they had more success than when they ran to the outside. To the outside, they kept losing yards, up the middle they at least were getting 2-3 yards.

Quote:
It wasn't even like their LB's were closing down holes quickly; there were no holes period.

Because we kept going to the outside on slowly developing plays.

Quote:
And as 10acjed pointed out, the pass protection was poor as well. Those sacks were not on Tannehill, and Ryan honestly saved the offensive line from plenty.

Two sacks were on Tannehill in which he decided to tuck it and run and ran right into a defensive lineman.

In the second half, Tannehill had a nice clean pocket and had plenty of time to throw and it showed in his numbers and the offensive performance.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:12 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

OK, OK we get it. The running game sucked yesterday no doubt, but it was one game. Let's see what happens net week, shall we? the Browns D is good, no doubt. The Colts D isn't anything near the Browns and Luck's line makes ours look like all pros. I keep hearing Luck isn't Weedon, you're right he's not, Weedon actually threw for more yrds than Luck. Luck was also playing the Raiders and his team almost lost. We also play the Ravens, they aren't the team they were. The Saints are good offensivly but their D still sucks. We won a road game in a tough city on opening day....

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:15 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

PS. The game plan didn't work so we made halftime adjustments which has been rare around here.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The win is a major mixed bag and it's only week 1. Alas, I still personally maintain that they have some ways to go with the new pieces they're implementing on the team - particularly on offense. However, that O-line absolutely has to get it together. We cannot go a whole season sans a decent rushing attack.

I liked the second half adjustments, the 3 WR sets in the 2nd half, Tannehill in the 2nd half, and the defense taking advantage of turnover opportunities. The Browns wilted in the 2nd half because our defense choked the life out of their offense, that's how teams separate later in games because opposing defenses get gassed. That being said, their passing attack looked suspect without Gordon and they got away from Richardson too early. You have to stay committed to running that guy.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

but I thought it was a joke that I wanted us to use a high pick on Lane Johnson. LOL

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
OK, OK we get it. The running game sucked yesterday no doubt, but it was one game. Let's see what happens net week, shall we? the Browns D is good, no doubt. The Colts D isn't anything near the Browns and Luck's line makes ours look like all pros. I keep hearing Luck isn't Weedon, you're right he's not, Weedon actually threw for more yrds than Luck. Luck was also playing the Raiders and his team almost lost. We also play the Ravens, they aren't the team they were. The Saints are good offensivly but their D still sucks. We won a road game in a tough city on opening day....

:awe: Very nice post. Grounded in reality. Unlike most here I'm feeling great about our season so far. Ground game or not.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:40 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

but I thought it was a joke that I wanted us to use a high pick on Lane Johnson. LOL

Jonathan Martin actually had a pretty good game protecting Tannehill's blindside.

He did allow one sack, but it was more the fault of the right side for not keeping a clean pocket that would have allowed Tannehill to step up.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:46 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:
I think Ryan is the one who is going to fix the situation with Wallace, I don't trust Philbin to take care of business.

Doesn't Sherman call the plays?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:48 pm
Profile WWW

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

Using a high draft pick on an OT and trading into the top 5 for one are two different things.

Btw, Martin is proving the organization right. We need a RT who can run block and much better guard play though.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:51 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

rodneyfaile wrote:
It's been a few years since we started 1-0, so I'm just going to enjoy this week, even though it was an ugly win.

I think it was 2010 when we started 2-0 , 2 wins on the road and one of them against the Packers(their only loss at home that year).

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

StereoMike wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I think it was 2010 when we started 2-0 , 2 wins on the road and one of them against the Packers(their only loss at home that year).

Correct, but it was against Buffalo and Minnesota in a couple of barn burner games. Miami beat Green Bay, but I think it was after they lost a couple games to the Jets and Patriots.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]