View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 MIKE NOLAN SCHEDULED TO INTERVIEW WITH MIAMI 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: MIKE NOLAN SCHEDULED TO INTERVIEW WITH MIAMI
Well the pickens are getting slimmer. I think this guys experience is good, but hey lets face it, He got fired for a reason...

Hopefully it was just chemistry, I dont know much about him but will look forward to anything new we can bring in...

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Ski_Money wrote:
Are you?

Nope. But I'm not going to hyperventilate over it either.

I saw the same reaction in fans when we got Dom Capers. Proven defensive coordinator with head coaching experience. He was a flop in Miami. His defense in 2007 was the worst this franchise has ever seen. And that is saying a lot considering we've had Tom Oliva-no-Defense defenses in Miami. Yet Capers went on to the be the defensive coordinator in Green Bay and they were the ranked 2nd in yards, 7th in points and 1st against the run.

Why was he so bad in Miami but so good in Green Bay?

Talent.

I saw the same reaction when we got Mike Mularkey. Great reputation coming out of Pittsburgh, head coaching experience. Terrible offense in Miami. Yet in 2008 he was the Falcons coordinator and they were pretty explosive. 2nd in rushing, 10th in scoring and 6th in passing.

So why is it that these big name coordinators with head coaching experience come to Miami, fail, and then have success elsewhere?

Talent.

I don't get excited about coordinators.

I get excited about players.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:03 am

Iowafin wrote:
Paul was consistently showing his hand on blitzes, and consistently blitzing 5 on 3rd down. Entirely too predictable. i don't care how much talent you have, Paul's defensive schemes would get torn up no matter what.

Watch the Jets play. They consistently show their hands on blitzes and still stop people.

It helps to have a shutdown corner.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:05 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Hers the thing & I will start out by saying that yeah , when it come to coordinators I probably am not that versed as much as some other guys & I am also sorry Phin if I dont just kiss Miami Dolphin as$ like I guess some people want to make the standard around here but I have seen this before. Every year we applaud the staff saying it the besi in the business ... we loved Capers , Bates & whoever else gets added on only to pretty much get the results that unfortunately we have come to expect ... dismal. I know Nolan is a big name & the timing is there because he just got canned but there has to be a reason why our top choices have said no thanks. Year after year we get psyched about the defense ... recent memory was when we signed Porter ... remember ... with Porter , Taylor & Thomas - who is gonna run on us?? Answer ... EVERYBODY , especially late in the game! So while Ill say it again .. I do like the direction ... forgive me for not doing a wooooooooooooo hooooooooooooo for a third choice DC coming to a 7-9 team.
I do wish him success however (happy now)

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:17 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

The defensive blitz schemes the jets (or any rex ryan defense) shows is hardly an easy read. He has guys walking around, the whole line standing up. puts the 2 ends on coverage and sends the ILB's and a safety, delayed blitz...

Paul had some nice confusion looks last year, but seemed to stray away from them this year..

I have to agree that the tallent of players has alot to do with it. Our run defense was good because of some of our players, same as to why our pass d was bad.

I do like the sound of a guy who may be able to help our pass defense tho, it seems our players are pretty good at picking up a run.. I just wonder what happens when the TE or WR comes out and across the middle with an ILB trailing 5 yards behind him... Is that the coord, or the player?

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:21 am

Quote:
The defensive blitz schemes the jets (or any rex ryan defense) shows is hardly an easy read. He has guys walking around, the whole line standing up. puts the 2 ends on coverage and sends the ILB's and a safety, delayed blitz...

Go back and watch the Chargers game.

Also, everyone and there mother, grandmother and dead ancestors knows that the Jets are going to blitz on 3rd down if it is a passing situation.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:43 am

GERIDROPA wrote:
But there's something else about him that I don't like, something about his demeanor... can't really place it.

Could it be his coaching attire?

Nolan comes off as a bit on the arrogant side. That's probably what you don't like about him.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:18 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Rich wrote:

I can't see the pic at work... is he wearing a dress?

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:29 am

IamPZ wrote:
Rich wrote:

I can't see the pic at work... is he wearing a dress?

No, he is wearing a suit. When he first started coaching the 49ers he wore business suits on the sideline.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm not sure that would work in south Florida in August/September...

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:42 am

That could get hot... real fast.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:45 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Rich wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:
Are you?

Nope. But I'm not going to hyperventilate over it either.

I saw the same reaction in fans when we got Dom Capers. Proven defensive coordinator with head coaching experience. He was a flop in Miami. His defense in 2007 was the worst this franchise has ever seen. And that is saying a lot considering we've had Tom Oliva-no-Defense defenses in Miami. Yet Capers went on to the be the defensive coordinator in Green Bay and they were the ranked 2nd in yards, 7th in points and 1st against the run.

Why was he so bad in Miami but so good in Green Bay?

Talent.

I saw the same reaction when we got Mike Mularkey. Great reputation coming out of Pittsburgh, head coaching experience. Terrible offense in Miami. Yet in 2008 he was the Falcons coordinator and they were pretty explosive. 2nd in rushing, 10th in scoring and 6th in passing.

So why is it that these big name coordinators with head coaching experience come to Miami, fail, and then have success elsewhere?

Talent.

I don't get excited about coordinators.

I get excited about players.

You can't completely discount the DC. Capers was decent in Miami but injuries down the stretch took their toll. It was the offense that year that really sucked eggs. Hard to motivate a defense when the offense is coughing up points every game. I thought Caper's Defense finished on a high note that year even with all the problems.
You also can't say Miami lacks talent on that side of the ball. Some of that "talent" is still very young. Yes there are positions where talent needs to be upgraded (Why in the world did they Jettison Roth?). A big time safety sure would cure a lot of ills.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:57 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
You can't completely discount the DC. Capers was decent in Miami but injuries down the stretch took their toll.

Even at full strength, that defense in 2007 could not stop the run from the first game against the Redskins on.

Quote:
You also can't say Miami lacks talent on that side of the ball.

Sure I can. They have needs, don't they? They have glaring holes at FS, OLB, ILB, and NT, don't they?

Therefore they lack talent.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:08 pm

Our OLB's aren't that bad... I mean unless we lose Porter and Taylor... then it gets bad, but we have some nice young talent at OLB...

We were 3rd in total sacks this year.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
You can't completely discount the DC. Capers was decent in Miami but injuries down the stretch took their toll.

Even at full strength, that defense in 2007 could not stop the run from the first game against the Redskins on.

Quote:
You also can't say Miami lacks talent on that side of the ball.

Sure I can. They have needs, don't they? They have glaring holes at FS, OLB, ILB, and NT, don't they?

Therefore they lack talent.

NT - was a strength entering the season. Fergeson hasn't retired yet. Solai is inconsistent but stopping the run wasn't a weakness in most games.
OLB - The only weakness I see is the fact they don't want to tell Porter to retire. Wake, Anderson, JT and a host of other young players make this a position of stength considering the stats.
ILB - I wouldn't call it a weakness but Miami doesn't have a dominant player inside.
Safety is certainly a glaring hole and it. So you're 1 for 4.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:26 pm

IamPZ wrote:
Our OLB's aren't that bad... I mean unless we lose Porter and Taylor... then it gets bad, but we have some nice young talent at OLB...

Sacks can be misleading. We were in the bottom half in the NFL at producing pressure on the quarterback. And if you actually saw the games this year, you know that opposing QBs had all day to throw the ball for most of the game.

I'd rather lead the NFL in QB pressures and be in the middle in sacks than the other way around. Pressure leads to incompletions and interceptions.

Taylor is a free agent, so it is no guarantee that we have him. Porter is terrible... yes you read correctly... TERRIBLE at stopping the run. And I am willing to bet that he will not be with the Dolphins in 2010.

So where are the young, talent OLBs? We have Cameron Wake and.... who else?

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Quentin Moses, Charlie Anderson.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Sacks can be misleading. We were in the bottom half in the NFL at producing pressure on the quarterback. And if you actually saw the games this year, you know that opposing QBs had all day to throw the ball for most of the game.

I'd rather lead the NFL in QB pressures and be in the middle in sacks than the other way around. Pressure leads to incompletions and interceptions.

Taylor is a free agent, so it is no guarantee that we have him. Porter is terrible... yes you read correctly... TERRIBLE at stopping the run. And I am willing to bet that he will not be with the Dolphins in 2010.

I'd argue that the sacks aren't misleading. The tired old scheme of if-our-guys-beat-their-guys is why there were no QB pressures. The only time a QB got pressured was if JT, Wake or Porter beat their man. Furthermore underneath coverage by the LB's and safeties absolutely sucked. A back could catch a pass and you wouldn't see a Dolphin for 10yds. It was ridiculous. We had two rookie CB's and you'd think that since they were singled up in coverage so often that the underneath coverage would've been superb. Not so, it seemed like you'd have guys like Akin Ayhodele covering Wes Welker more often than they should've. I'm not so geeked about Nolan but Pasq had to go.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:37 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
NT - was a strength entering the season.

That's wonderful. I'm looking at 2010, however.

Quote:
Fergeson hasn't retired yet.

But he is always getting injured and at his age recovery time takes longer.

Quote:
Solai is inconsistent but stopping the run wasn't a weakness in most games.

Wrong. I already posted in another thread (that may have been lost when the new forums were setup) how the run defense plummetted when Soliai in there. We were ranked 7th or 8th against the run when Ferguson went down. We ended the season ranked 18th against the run.

Quote:
OLB - The only weakness I see is the fact they don't want to tell Porter to retire. Wake, Anderson, JT and a host of other young players make this a position of stength considering the stats.

Taylor is a free agent. No guarantee he will return. Porter will not be back. Charlie Anderson? Are you serious? His best season he produced 2.5 sacks so where is the evidence that this guy could fill the OLB position for us effectively?

Wake is the only guy that shows promise right now.

Quote:
ILB - I wouldn't call it a weakness but Miami doesn't have a dominant player inside.

You wouldn't call Akin Ayodele a weakness? Or Channing Crowder and his constant overpursuing? And the primary reason tight ends shredded us all year is because our ILBs can't cover.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:37 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quentin Moses, Charlie Anderson.

What about them?

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:38 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
I'd argue that the sacks aren't misleading.

Then you didn't watch the games.

QBs had all day to throw against the Dolphins.

Funny how all season long you were criticizing this team for not putting enough pressure on the QB and now you say the sack statistics aren't misleading. :hithead:

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:40 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
Funny how all season long you were criticizing this team for not putting enough pressure on the QB and now you say the sack statistics aren't misleading. :hithead:

Careful what you say guys, Rich is keeping tabs.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:45 pm

I actually did watch every game this year, and was surprised to see us being 3rd in sacks, because as Rich said, we did suck at pressuring the QB.

I also think we would have been better had we had some underneath help *cough*ILB's*cough*

Anytime we came remotely close to pressuring the QB they dumped it to a back or a TE for big yards...

Not that the crappy tackling helped any either.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
I actually did watch every game this year, and was surprised to see us being 3rd in sacks, because as Rich said, we did suck at pressuring the QB.

I also think we would have been better had we had some underneath help *cough*ILB's*cough*

Anytime we came remotely close to pressuring the QB they dumped it to a back or a TE for big yards...

Not that the crappy tackling helped any either.

Yeah, they'd get sacks on 1st down and then give up a big play on 2nd down, then send 5 on 3rd down and they'd easily pick it up.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Exactly. But the lack of inconsistent pressure can be attributed to not much blitzing and two OLB's in their mid-30's.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:15 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
But the lack of inconsistent pressure can be attributed to not much blitzing and two OLB's in their mid-30's.

The Dolphins rushed 5 quite a bit. That counts as a blitz.

I think the age of our OLBs is a bigger factor.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:18 pm

They slowed down quite a bit towards the seasons end, but I'd still love to have JT back... he's just such a smart player... from smackin the ball down, to stayin put in his zone... to the countless other things he does well for us.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Quote:
Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
NT - was a strength entering the season.

That's wonderful. I'm looking at 2010, however.

Quote:
Fergeson hasn't retired yet.

But he is always getting injured and at his age recovery time takes longer.

Quote:
Solai is inconsistent but stopping the run wasn't a weakness in most games.

Wrong. I already posted in another thread (that may have been lost when the new forums were setup) how the run defense plummetted when Soliai in there. We were ranked 7th or 8th against the run when Ferguson went down. We ended the season ranked 18th against the run.

Quote:
NT is not a glaring weakness or hole. Fergeson will return and Solai will continue to get better.

Quote:

Taylor is a free agent. No guarantee he will return. Porter will not be back. Charlie Anderson? Are you serious? His best season he produced 2.5 sacks so where is the evidence that this guy could fill the OLB position for us effectively?

Wake is the only guy that shows promise right now.

Quentin Moses and Anderson have both shown some ability. Taylor will need to be resigned now that they jettisoned Roth. If Taylor doesn't return, then it will be a glaring weakness. If he does return, I'd say they are fine.
Quote:
Quote:

You wouldn't call Akin Ayodele a weakness? Or Channing Crowder and his constant overpursuing? And the primary reason tight ends shredded us all year is because our ILBs can't cover.
Was it the LB's or scheme? Crowder and Ayodele have had better seasons. I just don't want to get emotional and say this is a glaring hole. Safety is what I would call a glaring hole. The rest of these can be addressed with players via FA.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:16 pm

BTW...what kind of scheme calls for your undersized OLB's to lineup in a 4-3 all the time? If you're going to play a 4-3 then get players suited for that style of defense. The idea behind a 3-4 is to have the ends standing up and moving to confuse the offense. It was stupid to put Porter in a 3 point stance all year.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:19 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Just an FYI guys. A couple of you keep saying he got canned. That's not true. It was a mutual decision.. one that took place AFTER Parcells came calling.

He's a good DC. The run D was very bad there last year. But, you cant give the Denver staff credit for going out and getting Goodman and Dawkins.. and forget that they didn't get themselves a legitimate NT.

Even with Soliai, McDaniels or Starks at NT. They are better then anything in Denver. Though I HIGHLY doubt we will enter the season with our NT depth chart looking like that. Expect a FA acquisition or a draft pick to be spent there.

Davis and Smith will be another year older and Will Allen will return. Wilson will be replaced. Our scheme will be a bit better. (I watched the Defense a LOT this year.. and while, yes it is, lacking talent. Pasqualoni was running his own version of the prevent in a LOT of those games we blew late. It was like he forgot how to blitz in the 4th quarter and trusted our rookies to get it done)

Mike Nolan will be a good hire. He will know how to effectively use Cameron Wake, who will have MORE playing time next year... if not start.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:38 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

hypocritex wrote:
Mike Nolan will be a good hire. He will know how to effectively use Cameron Wake, who will have MORE playing time next year... if not start.

I think anybody with half a brain could see this. Cam Wake has unbelievable talent rushing the passer, but is weak against the run. If Nolan can scheme a way to make that work we should see some nice plays on wake's side of the field.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:13 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Crowder and Ayodele have had better seasons.

In this very scheme...

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:01 pm

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
I'd argue that the sacks aren't misleading.

Then you didn't watch the games.

QBs had all day to throw against the Dolphins.

I simply stated that you can't throw out the sacks. Those were the instances when our player outplayed their player. When is the last time Paul P's scheme shutdown a team completely? Isn't the scheme responsible for pressure as much as a player beating his man? If not, bring back Tom Oliva_otti because his schemes always required his guys to win their individual matchups. The Jet's aren't that great up front but bring a lot of heat through a very effective scheme.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Crowder and Ayodele have had better seasons.

In this very scheme...

I doubt they were better last season. They faced lesser competition last season compared to this year.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2