View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Egnew's Blocking 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Egnew's Blocking
If you have a chance, go back and watch the game against the Saints and pay attention to Egnew's blocking. He has improved quite a bit as a blocker. He had two pancakes last night, one was a thing of beauty, taking the defender 6-7 yards downfield and putting him on his ass.

He also had a step on his defender in those two Devlin overthrows, but has a long way to go as a route runner.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:01 am
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Post Re: Egnew's Blocking
He's tall. I'd love to see him supplant Clay but they did call him out for a poor route last night. I'm sure he's going to see the field a lot even if its not in a starting role.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wallace may have brought some of that with him from the steelers..i have noticed an improvement from the group of te's and wr's

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 am
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Kev...only you could work in Mike Wallace when the thread is about a TE's ability to block..lol. You're on track for that homer award.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:25 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I thought Dion Sims looked pretty darn good catching and getting yards after.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:49 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Kev...only you could work in Mike Wallace when the thread is about a TE's ability to block..lol. You're on track for that homer award.

From Kev Island to Homer!.....

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:56 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Appx 1 week away guys, let's go. I'm ready.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I was really impressed with what I saw from both Sims and Sloth. I don't think we're in as bad a spot as we all thought.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
I was really impressed with what I saw from both Sims and Sloth. I don't think we're in as bad a spot as we all thought.

Impressed by:

- 4 rec, 6 yards, 1 TD
- 1 rec, 3 yards

..... and this coming vs. the guys Maurice Jones Drew would tell you will be working at Target?

The redzone TD was nice, won't take that away from Sims, but these guys have sooooooo much work that needs to be done.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Come on Rock, you know as well as I do that the preseason isn't about numbers. Watch that game and tell me that Sims and Sloth haven't improved quite a bit

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
Come on Rock, you know as well as I do that the preseason isn't about numbers. Watch that game and tell me that Sims and Sloth haven't improved quite a bit

I'm trying to figure out what you're basing the improvement on (not referring to the blocking) and how it could possibly calm worries about the position.

In our dress rehearsal game against the Bucs, the entire unit was nonexistent. Which carries more weight here? That or a game vs. the future UPS drivers of America?

This group is going to be one massive in-season project. Tannehill's maturation process is more important than ever to help mask it.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:03 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Haha wrote:
I thought Dion Sims looked pretty darn good catching and getting yards after.

I agree. If he keeps this up, he may supplant Clay/Egnew as the starting TE.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what you're basing the improvement on (not referring to the blocking) and how it could possibly calm worries about the position.

In our dress rehearsal game against the Bucs, the entire unit was nonexistent. Which carries more weight here? That or a game vs. the future UPS drivers of America?

This group is going to be one massive in-season project. Tannehill's maturation process is more important than ever to help mask it.

I'm basing that on what I saw with my own eyes. They both looked like they have improved out there. They were open a few times, made some catches, and I guarantee would have had more had it not been Devlin who was throwing them the ball.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
I'm basing that on what I saw with my own eyes. They both looked like they have improved out there. They were open a few times, made some catches, and I guarantee would have had more had it not been Devlin who was throwing them the ball.

..... and what I'm saying to you is look who they were matched up against. Seeing them put together a combined 4 receptions for 9 yards leaves you feeling that we're not in a bad spot?

Clearly you're entitled to that opinion. Call me crazy, but I'm waiting to see it vs. legitimate competition before I start thinking the Keller loss is overly stated. Real easy to look good and get open vs. backups of the backups and when teams are not scheming because they will be playing each other in the regular season.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:01 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
..... and what I'm saying to you is look who they were matched up against. Seeing them put together a combined 4 receptions for 9 yards leaves you feeling that we're not in a bad spot?

I didn't say that we aren't still in a bad spot. What I said was that the progress that I have seen in Sims and Sloth leads me to think that the spot we are in isn't quite as bad as initially thought. I'm not saying that the Keller injury isn't a big loss, just that these guys are progressing and it's not the team killer that some have suggested.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:20 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

i'm not so sure Egnew is progressing.....He was pretty bad vs. the Saints

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:23 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Seeing them put together a combined 4 receptions for 9 yards leaves you feeling that we're not in a bad spot?

Where are you seeing this number? Sims had 36 yards receiving, so did Egnew have -27 yards????

Devlin also missed Egnew on 2 TDs.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:33 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The entire offense struggled agasint the Bucs. Two special teams turnovers and the O couldn't get into rhythm. We might be surprised with Egnew and Sims.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:00 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The entire offense struggled agasint the Bucs. Two special teams turnovers and the O couldn't get into rhythm. We might be surprised with Egnew and Sims.

Isn't this discussing the last game against the Saints?

I think Egnew has definitely improved on his blocking, probably ran a couple of patterns he could have adjusted better, but then again ANYTHING wrong out on offense our announcer Griese seemed to side with the QB being right and the receiver wrong so perhaps Sloth's patterns weren't too bad.

Sims with multiple catches (listen up Charles Clay -key word CATCHES) and a touchdown and could have easily had a 2nd TD had Devlin led him into the corner of the endzone which had PLENTY of space, but then again Griese begged to differ and blamed Sims for not stopping in his route, which I personally disagreed with as Sims had at least 5 plus yards of space ahead where the ball could have led him for an easy TD.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Seeing them put together a combined 4 receptions for 9 yards leaves you feeling that we're not in a bad spot?

Where are you seeing this number? Sims had 36 yards receiving, so did Egnew have -27 yards????

They combined for 5 receptions and 41 yards. Not sure where you're getting 4 for 9 Rock.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Isn't this discussing the last game against the Saints?

I was responding to the dress rehersal comment made. I actually thought the thread was about Egnew's blocking...lol

Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:37 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

That's my bad .. Yahoo's new format on their sports site is blinding to my eyes and what I was looking at was catches/targets.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
I didn't say that we aren't still in a bad spot. What I said was that the progress that I have seen in Sims and Sloth leads me to think that the spot we are in isn't quite as bad as initially thought. I'm not saying that the Keller injury isn't a big loss, just that these guys are progressing and it's not the team killer that some have suggested.

How do you properly judge progress though? Vs. 3rd and 4th string backups when the opposing team is purposely not scheming because they will be playing each in season? ..... or vs. bonafied NFL starters?

That is why I'm bringing up the stark contrast between this game and the dress rehearsal vs. the Bucs. This last preseason matchup was a glorified pickup game, I mean talk about a buyer beware. It's a bit premature to start saying we've got less to worry about than previously thought considering the caliber of competition they faced.

Hopefully this group can muster up 60 yards and perhaps a TD come Week 1. That would be legitimate improvement. Sims is a name I'm now more intrigued by than before.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:52 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
Hopefully this group can muster up 60 yards and perhaps a TD come Week 1. That would be legitimate improvement. Sims is a name I'm now more intrigued by than before.

Hopefully we can hit a TE right off the bat to keep the defense honest. If we just need a blocker we can just throw a guard out there. We need somone that can run a decent route with good hands.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Hopefully we can hit a TE right off the bat to keep the defense honest. If we just need a blocker we can just throw a guard out there. We need somone that can run a decent route with good hands.

Yup. Opposing defenses have to at least respect the position, otherwise it's going to make life extremely tough on Mike Wallace.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:26 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

60 yards and a touchdown from a TE isn't bad production at all, I'd take it.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]