View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:14 am



Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins 
Author Message
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3070
Post Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Quote:
MIAMI DOLPHINS


The Dolphins admit their play during Sunday’s game was sloppy, and ‘experts’ such as ESPN’s Merril Hoge are piling on.

It took all of five passes for the questions to begin about Ryan Tannehill.

Five preseason passes, mind you.

Tannehill’s lackluster start to the 2013 exhibition slate — he completed two of his throws, was wild on two others and chucked the fifth into the turf to avoid a sack — is a ridiculously small sample size to make any sort of meaningful evaluation.

But that didn’t stop pundits such as ESPN’s Merril Hoge, who was already hitting the panic button on the

1 a.m. SportsCenter early Monday.

“He looked awful; the offense looked awful,” Hoge said. “What I saw early on, I would be bothered if I were a coach of the Miami Dolphins.”

...



“It definitely felt sloppy,” Tannehill said. “When you start off with a turnover, first snap, obviously, that’s not the way you want to go into a game. It took us a little while to get going.

“That’s not the way you want to play football.”

...

Josh Samuda, who started at right guard and appeared to play well, put it bluntly Sunday: “You can’t really judge what we did tonight.”

Added Philbin: “Not a great gauge. I think sometimes games take on their own story line, so it’s hard to get a real good gauge. Obviously, I don’t think we had a fast start to the football game.”

Tannehill had hoped to build success on success. Instead, he said, he has to build success on failure, a process that begins in earnest Tuesday when the Dolphins return to practice. They have a quick turnaround; Miami next plays Friday in Jacksonville.

Which means the pundits won’t have to wait long to make another snap judgment.



Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/06/3 ... rylink=cpy


Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:09 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4374
Location: Sunny South Florida
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Quote:
MIAMI DOLPHINS


1 a.m. SportsCenter early Monday.

“He looked awful; the offense looked awful,” Hoge said. “What I saw early on, I would be bothered if I were a coach of the Miami Dolphins.”


Yeah, that is what I saw as well. Good thing its just the preseason. Look at the forum main page and I see how Tannehill is struggling and Bumphis is a playmaker..

Ohh yeah, its preseason....

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:22 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2626
Location: MA.
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
The intensity level was not what I expected from the Dolphins...

I put that on the Coaches captains and qb......Tannehill needs to be more assertive on his short passes. A problem he had last year ..


Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:50 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 463
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Don't know how Samuda's game as a whole was, but there were a couple of plays where I was rather unimpressed -- including one where he pulled, was slow and didn't hit a soul.


Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:17 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5287
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
There is being bothered and there is the panic button. We were all bothered by what we saw and were having flashbacks of previous uninspriring Dolphin teams. But would you honestly hit the panic button?

If it is a bunch of 3 and outs or turnovers on Friday then I'll begin to worry, but the panic button shouldn't come out until 4 or 5 games into the regular season.


Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3559
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
We will quiet everyone with 11 -13 wins.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:18 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4374
Location: Sunny South Florida
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
FINesse wrote:
We will quiet everyone with 11 -13 wins.


Yeah that would pretty much do it, although I am sure some would find plenty of way to criticize it lol..

10 is my limit, any less and I will lose what little faith I have in the decisions makers.

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:44 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1101
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Nine of our games this year are against opponents that were sub 500 last year.........of course so were we.........but I'd like to think we'll be significantly better. Twelve wins is not out of the question...........but we'll have to take care of the teams we should beat.

Looking at the Pats' schedule they have 10 opponents that were sub 500 last year. We'll probably need at least 12 wins to take the division including one win over the Pats.

Vegas has put the over/under for the Phins at 7.5 and the Pats at 11.5. I don't bet on games, and if I did, I'd do better by going against what ever I originally thought. I have to admit though the over/under on the Phins has me seriously considering the over.


Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:48 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5046
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
shularino wrote:
Nine of our games this year are against opponents that were sub 500 last year.........of course so were we.........but I'd like to think we'll be significantly better. Twelve wins is not out of the question...........but we'll have to take care of the teams we should beat.


Twelve wins for a team that just had a massive new player infusion this offseason? They completely re-vamped the WR, LB, TE, and CB units. The O-line is still in flux.

I'd be happy with 8-9 wins. Talking about 12 is nuts at this stage. Gonna require some serious chemistry building before we're talking about those kinds of numbers.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:07 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3846
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Its called stirring the pot. Hoge is simply wanting to get people talking about what he said.


Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:39 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4374
Location: Sunny South Florida
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Rock Sexton wrote:
Twelve wins for a team that just had a massive new player infusion this offseason? They completely re-vamped the WR, LB, TE, and CB units. The O-line is still in flux.

I'd be happy with 8-9 wins. Talking about 12 is nuts at this stage. Gonna require some serious chemistry building before we're talking about those kinds of numbers.



I am not going to feel good about a coaching staff taking over a 7 win team and 2 years later having an 8-9 win team.

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:11 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5046
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
10acjed wrote:
I am not going to feel good about a coaching staff taking over a 7 win team and 2 years later having an 8-9 win team.


IMO it's just not objective to expect otherwise. We had band-aids all over this team last year. Most of the players were not Philbin/Sherman/Coyle guys. They started the process of bringing them in this year ...... but when you have the sheer amount of moving pieces the Dolphins do, it takes time to get'em acclimated. Again we have virtually brand new units in the WR, TE, LB, and CB department. God knows what to expect from the O-line right given the question marks stemming there. Our running back core features a first time probable starter, a guy who can't stay healthy (or upright), and another coming back from a serious knee injury.

Where we lucked out was our division doesn't look to be very good this year, aside from the Patriots whom everyone is curious how they're going to look without the TE tandem.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:43 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5287
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Again, there is a difference between bothered and panic. Salguero is interpreting what was an honest assessment of one performance as being doomsday...aka revising the story to stir the pot.

Rock is correct, it will take time for these guys to come together. Depends on who you read I guess, but it doesn't sound like the o-line is as bad (but still not good) as some are making them out to be. I thought the running backs looked good the other night and the run blocking was sharp. And its not like the receiving options are untested in the NFL.

Tannehill needs to be Joe Flacco-esque this year. If you look at Flacco's second season he wasn't stellar but he stepped up and made some plays. He had a nice running compliment and a solid defense. If Miami pulls that off then 9-10 wins is doable. To expect more, especially with that opening stretch of games and the usual up and downs, may be setting yourself up for disappointment.


Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:58 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4372
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
The first 4 games out of the gate will tell a lot and really IMO set the tone for the rest of the season.

Ar Cleveland, At Indy, Atlanta home and at New Orleans......no walk in the park start.

Hopefully, the preparations through preseason will have them ready to get off on the right foot.


Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:21 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3070
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Quote:
Quite a few folks around the NFL see the Miami Dolphins as the team that will take a giant leap forward this season.

But one of those people is not NFL Network analyst and former head coach Dennis Green.

Green joined "Inside Training Camp Live" on Tuesday to discuss what he believes is the biggest flaw in the Dolphins’ plan to compete with the New England Patriots for the top spot in the AFC East.

For starters, the former coach hardly is sold on second-year player Ryan Tannehill, and that's only half of it.

"I don't think Ryan's (Tannehill) a great quarterback," Green said. "So, the key is going to be, how can they overcome losing two great players."

...

"I like him, I think he's a fast player. He can make plays down the field, but I think you always start with keeping your own good players, because they don't have that physiological negative effect when you lose one of your better players. ... I'm just saying why I think they're going to struggle offensively."

So there you have it, just don't tell the guys at Around The League.


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... s-great-qb


Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:40 am
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
9-7 is a successful season for this team, you're being ridiculous if you think otherwise. We're no worldbeater.


Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:37 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
swerve13 wrote:
9-7 is a successful season for this team, you're being ridiculous if you think otherwise. We're no worldbeater.


Disagree. With the moves we made in the offseason, missing the playoffs isn't a success, and I don't think 9 wins will get us there.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
like Rock said, too many new pieces. Tannehill is still way too green IMO, the offensive line is a total mystery, the schedule is brutal...

in the NFL it is very difficult to cross that 7 win to 9 or 10 win zone....just ask Jeff Fischer during his tenure with the Titans, he lived at .500 for years before getting over the hump.

I am confident in our defense so I think 9 or 10 wins is possible because of that unit.
But we will more than likely stumble through the first 5 or 6 weeks.

It's not fair to Philbin or Tannehill to demand 10 wins in their 2nd season.
If it happens, it's gravy...but I will be satisfied with 9 this year.


Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:41 am
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
Quite a few folks around the NFL see the Miami Dolphins as the team that will take a giant leap forward this season.

But one of those people is not NFL Network analyst and former head coach Dennis Green.

Green joined "Inside Training Camp Live" on Tuesday to discuss what he believes is the biggest flaw in the Dolphins’ plan to compete with the New England Patriots for the top spot in the AFC East.

For starters, the former coach hardly is sold on second-year player Ryan Tannehill, and that's only half of it.

"I don't think Ryan's (Tannehill) a great quarterback," Green said. "So, the key is going to be, how can they overcome losing two great players."

...

"I like him, I think he's a fast player. He can make plays down the field, but I think you always start with keeping your own good players, because they don't have that physiological negative effect when you lose one of your better players. ... I'm just saying why I think they're going to struggle offensively."

So there you have it, just don't tell the guys at Around The League.


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... s-great-qb



did he really say that Mike Wallace is no Reggie Bush??? hahahahahahah!!!!!
Ya, you're right Denny, Wallace is actually a threat to defenses.
That makes Green's opinion of Tannehill obsolete.


Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:56 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2626
Location: MA.
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
And Reggie Bush wasn't?


Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:32 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:37 pm
Posts: 892
Location: Orlando, Fl
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
They team hardly played their starters and it was the FIRST preseason game! Everyone needs to chill out. A fumble inside the ten yard line gave the Cowboys a TD and they also got another free TD a dropped pass from our 5 team WR that turned into a pick six. That is the difference in the game right there. No one should get too high or low after preseason game one.


Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:48 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3559
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
This team has been put together to go way better than 9-7 this season especially if that record fails to get us in the playoffs. Coaches basically have a 3 year window & this is year 2. Unrealistic or not that is how it is. By most opinion here Philbin did not take over a terrible team. Spending like we did to win 3 more games than the last season of his predecessor 2 years later will not cut it , especially for Ireland who I wouldnt be surprised to be gone if we fail to reach the playoffs & might still be gone if we reach & dont win a game.
This is a better team than 9-7. Predicting 9-7 and being satisfied with it is foolish & I suspect having that opinion is only for the reason of if we fail we have the excuse of all the new players & if we do better of saying how great we are to be able to mend all these new guys so quickly.
Opinions vary whether this team was built or bought but regardless it was "put together" to win this season. And lets face it ... the division is not very good. Bills & Jets are just awful & the Patriots are the most vulnerable since Brady has been a member of that team.
The one thing I like reading here is all the excuses for losses & no matter what our record is at the end of the season , why we are better than that record & that we are close. None of that will cut it anymore. The talent is here.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:04 am
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1057
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
cspooner13 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
9-7 is a successful season for this team, you're being ridiculous if you think otherwise. We're no worldbeater.


Disagree. With the moves we made in the offseason, missing the playoffs isn't a success, and I don't think 9 wins will get us there.


Touche. Nine wins guarantees you nothing in this league. Sometimes ten wins guarantees you nothing. Just ask the 2003 Dolphins and the 2007 Browns what ten wins will get you.

_________________
Image


Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:10 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4374
Location: Sunny South Florida
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Rock Sexton wrote:
Most of the players were not Philbin/Sherman/Coyle guys.


Then Ireland hired the wrong coaches.

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:28 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2626
Location: MA.
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
2008 Patriots didn't make the playoffs at 11-5...And they wouldn't have made the playoffs during a couple Super Bowl runs if not for cheating...Had to throw that in there :ann0y:


Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:29 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2626
Location: MA.
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
10acjed wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Most of the players were not Philbin/Sherman/Coyle guys.


Then Ireland hired the wrong coaches.

Maybe they were Ireland guys/coaches..Now he can work on his type player


Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:31 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8033
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Well, to be fair, he looked like the 2012 version of Tannehill. I will say that if he had a little more time to throw the ball he wouldn't look like he was always in a hurry to get rid of it.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:48 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5287
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
catman_56 wrote:
They team hardly played their starters and it was the FIRST preseason game! Everyone needs to chill out. A fumble inside the ten yard line gave the Cowboys a TD and they also got another free TD a dropped pass from our 5 team WR that turned into a pick six. That is the difference in the game right there. No one should get too high or low after preseason game one.


This is valid and is why there should be no panic. But you need a barometer at some point to judge if this team can really do it.

I remember saying back in 2011 that Miami and Henne needed to put on a lights out, high scoring performance against a putrid Cleveland Browns team to quiet the critics. They didn't, they even lost, and the rest is history.

I know it continues to sound like QB obsession but it really comes down to Tannehill's performances to verify any hope we currently have. The Fins play 7 games in the first 2 months and a lot are versus good teams. If they can't win 3 of those games and Tannehill isn't putting the team on his back when needed then you can start to dust off the panic button. Don't hit it, but you can start wondering if the correct key people are in place.


Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:59 am
Profile
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5356
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Worst player on the field last preseason could've been Koa Misi who arguably had his best season as a pro. Just as a quick reminder here is the order of importance.
1. No injuries
2. Evaluation of young, bubble players and depth.

The bottom line is the offense should be a little embarrassed about their performance but just when Lamar and Tanny got two straight positive plays...they were pulled due to rule number 1.


Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:25 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5046
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
FINesse wrote:
The one thing I like reading here is all the excuses for losses & no matter what our record is at the end of the season , why we are better than that record & that we are close. None of that will cut it anymore. The talent is here.


No excuse making going on from me. I acknowledged the influx of talent this offseason between the draft and free agency. But again the "reality" is that it takes time to build chemistry and for all these guys to get on the same page. They are nowhere near regular season battle tested as a whole. This wasn't a team on the verge of the playoffs with a franchise QB already at the helm who just needed one or two pieces. They needed playmaking LB's, CB's, WR's, and TE's. It remains to be seen what we'll get out of the O-line and there is legitimate concerned for the man watching Tanny's blindside. Then we potentially have a first year starter in Lamar Miller.

I've accepted the direction this franchise decided to take and to really see how these moves bare out, I'm not expecting a bigger stride being taken until next season. If we don't make the playoffs next year, I will not accept any reasons barring an unforeseen barrage of injuries.

_________________
Image


Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:33 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3070
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
FINesse wrote:
This team has been put together to go way better than 9-7 this season especially if that record fails to get us in the playoffs. Coaches basically have a 3 year window & this is year 2. Unrealistic or not that is how it is. By most opinion here Philbin did not take over a terrible team. Spending like we did to win 3 more games than the last season of his predecessor 2 years later will not cut it , especially for Ireland who I wouldnt be surprised to be gone if we fail to reach the playoffs & might still be gone if we reach & dont win a game.
This is a better team than 9-7. Predicting 9-7 and being satisfied with it is foolish & I suspect having that opinion is only for the reason of if we fail we have the excuse of all the new players & if we do better of saying how great we are to be able to mend all these new guys so quickly.
Opinions vary whether this team was built or bought but regardless it was "put together" to win this season. And lets face it ... the division is not very good. Bills & Jets are just awful & the Patriots are the most vulnerable since Brady has been a member of that team.
The one thing I like reading here is all the excuses for losses & no matter what our record is at the end of the season , why we are better than that record & that we are close. None of that will cut it anymore. The talent is here.



Quote:
We will quiet everyone with 11 -13 wins.



Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:59 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Rock Sexton wrote:
FINesse wrote:
The one thing I like reading here is all the excuses for losses & no matter what our record is at the end of the season , why we are better than that record & that we are close. None of that will cut it anymore. The talent is here.


No excuse making going on from me. I acknowledged the influx of talent this offseason between the draft and free agency. But again the "reality" is that it takes time to build chemistry and for all these guys to get on the same page. They are nowhere near regular season battle tested as a whole. This wasn't a team on the verge of the playoffs with a franchise QB already at the helm who just needed one or two pieces. They needed playmaking LB's, CB's, WR's, and TE's. It remains to be seen what we'll get out of the O-line and there is legitimate concerned for the man watching Tanny's blindside. Then we potentially have a first year starter in Lamar Miller.

I've accepted the direction this franchise decided to take and to really see how these moves bare out, I'm not expecting a bigger stride being taken until next season. If we don't make the playoffs next year, I will not accept any reasons barring an unforeseen barrage of injuries.


this sums up the realistic point of view. I also think that next season should be our coming out party.


Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:05 pm
Profile
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5356
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Here's the problem, this is year 2 with Philbin and crew. Expectations should be centered around progress. If this team crashes or gets worse, the knives will come out. If they get better and are in the playoff hunt late in the season I think most will be fine with that. Another 7-9 lackluster finish may start getting people anxious and they'll start seeing more negative press. 9-7 +- 1 game is a sane prediciton. Anything above 10 wins is simple homerism. Yeah I want that too.


Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:55 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4374
Location: Sunny South Florida
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
There is always next year already a theme...

:cry:

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:07 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3696
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
swerve13 wrote:
like Rock said, too many new pieces. Tannehill is still way too green IMO, the offensive line is a total mystery, the schedule is brutal...

in the NFL it is very difficult to cross that 7 win to 9 or 10 win zone....just ask Jeff Fischer during his tenure with the Titans, he lived at .500 for years before getting over the hump.

I am confident in our defense so I think 9 or 10 wins is possible because of that unit.
But we will more than likely stumble through the first 5 or 6 weeks.

It's not fair to Philbin or Tannehill to demand 10 wins in their 2nd season.
If it happens, it's gravy...but I will be satisfied with 9 this year.


It's not fair to Philbin and Tannehill?

Last time I checked, their JOBS are to win games and get to the Superbowl.


Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:12 pm
Profile
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5356
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
While their job is to win games, true. However, it is the restless fan base and media that has no patience to build a team that can win. We chase one coach after another out of town after 1 or two seasons. Remember Wannstedt was fired after a 10-6 season. Except for the 2008 season, we've not matched that once


Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm
Posts: 117
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
NFLJunkie wrote:
While their job is to win games, true. However, it is the restless fan base and media that has no patience to build a team that can win. We chase one coach after another out of town after 1 or two seasons. Remember Wannstedt was fired after a 10-6 season. Except for the 2008 season, we've not matched that once


Wannsted resigned during a season that they went 4-12. He had the league's best team in 2003 and failed to get them to the playoffs.
We stuck with Sparano for 4 years and Nick Saban left. The only coach to get fired was Cam Cameron because he ripped the team of talent and took them to the lowest of lows.


Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:44 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4372
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
Remember Wannstedt was fired after a 10-6 season.


This was a big more accurate history:

Wanny was 10-6 in 2003 went on to start the 2004 season 1-8 THEN was fired.


Last edited by Finhead34 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:30 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4374
Location: Sunny South Florida
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
NFLJunkie wrote:
While their job is to win games, true. However, it is the restless fan base and media that has no patience to build a team that can win. We chase one coach after another out of town after 1 or two seasons. Remember Wannstedt was fired after a 10-6 season. Except for the 2008 season, we've not matched that once


Owners make decisions. If they make them based on what fans say, why is Jeff Ireland still in charge?

Why did they not run out and sign Orton when the chants ensued?

Johnson came in, and then bailed leaving us with Wanny and Wanny with us. I think he traded away 3 years worth of picks for Ricky...

Cam Cameron used the first round pick on Ted friggin Ginn. You cant find a competent person in the NFL to say that was a smart move.

Nick Saban took a job before the season ended, the lowlife did a confrence call to his players after lying to everyone. Most realize now he never intended to stay here.

Parcells ditched everyone after about 20 months, then Ireland turned his back on Sparano trying to get Harbaugh...

Im failing to see where us running people out of town comes into play....

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:31 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Pundits begin criticism of Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
IamPZ wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
like Rock said, too many new pieces. Tannehill is still way too green IMO, the offensive line is a total mystery, the schedule is brutal...

in the NFL it is very difficult to cross that 7 win to 9 or 10 win zone....just ask Jeff Fischer during his tenure with the Titans, he lived at .500 for years before getting over the hump.

I am confident in our defense so I think 9 or 10 wins is possible because of that unit.
But we will more than likely stumble through the first 5 or 6 weeks.

It's not fair to Philbin or Tannehill to demand 10 wins in their 2nd season.
If it happens, it's gravy...but I will be satisfied with 9 this year.


It's not fair to Philbin and Tannehill?

Last time I checked, their JOBS are to win games and get to the Superbowl.


Philbin took over a team with zero offensive talent. Tannehill has been playing quarterback for all of like 3 years. Ya you're right, they'd better win 12 games this year.


Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:28 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jazzy J 72, MSNbot Media and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.