Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:09 am 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Quote:
MIAMI DOLPHINS

The Dolphins admit their play during Sunday’s game was sloppy, and ‘experts’ such as ESPN’s Merril Hoge are piling on.

It took all of five passes for the questions to begin about Ryan Tannehill.

Five preseason passes, mind you.

Tannehill’s lackluster start to the 2013 exhibition slate — he completed two of his throws, was wild on two others and chucked the fifth into the turf to avoid a sack — is a ridiculously small sample size to make any sort of meaningful evaluation.

But that didn’t stop pundits such as ESPN’s Merril Hoge, who was already hitting the panic button on the

1 a.m. SportsCenter early Monday.

“He looked awful; the offense looked awful,” Hoge said. “What I saw early on, I would be bothered if I were a coach of the Miami Dolphins.”

“It definitely felt sloppy,” Tannehill said. “When you start off with a turnover, first snap, obviously, that’s not the way you want to go into a game. It took us a little while to get going.

“That’s not the way you want to play football.”

Josh Samuda, who started at right guard and appeared to play well, put it bluntly Sunday: “You can’t really judge what we did tonight.”

Added Philbin: “Not a great gauge. I think sometimes games take on their own story line, so it’s hard to get a real good gauge. Obviously, I don’t think we had a fast start to the football game.”

Tannehill had hoped to build success on success. Instead, he said, he has to build success on failure, a process that begins in earnest Tuesday when the Dolphins return to practice. They have a quick turnaround; Miami next plays Friday in Jacksonville.

Which means the pundits won’t have to wait long to make another snap judgment.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/06/3 ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:22 am 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Quote:
MIAMI DOLPHINS

1 a.m. SportsCenter early Monday.

“He looked awful; the offense looked awful,” Hoge said. “What I saw early on, I would be bothered if I were a coach of the Miami Dolphins.”

Yeah, that is what I saw as well. Good thing its just the preseason. Look at the forum main page and I see how Tannehill is struggling and Bumphis is a playmaker..

Ohh yeah, its preseason....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:50 am 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

The intensity level was not what I expected from the Dolphins...

I put that on the Coaches captains and qb......Tannehill needs to be more assertive on his short passes. A problem he had last year ..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:17 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Don't know how Samuda's game as a whole was, but there were a couple of plays where I was rather unimpressed -- including one where he pulled, was slow and didn't hit a soul.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 am 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

There is being bothered and there is the panic button. We were all bothered by what we saw and were having flashbacks of previous uninspriring Dolphin teams. But would you honestly hit the panic button?

If it is a bunch of 3 and outs or turnovers on Friday then I'll begin to worry, but the panic button shouldn't come out until 4 or 5 games into the regular season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:18 pm 
Phinfever Moderator - Pick 'em Champ
Phinfever Moderator - Pick 'em Champ

We will quiet everyone with 11 -13 wins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:44 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
We will quiet everyone with 11 -13 wins.

Yeah that would pretty much do it, although I am sure some would find plenty of way to criticize it lol..

10 is my limit, any less and I will lose what little faith I have in the decisions makers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:48 pm 
2015 Phinfever VIP Donor!
2015 Phinfever VIP Donor!

Nine of our games this year are against opponents that were sub 500 last year.........of course so were we.........but I'd like to think we'll be significantly better. Twelve wins is not out of the question...........but we'll have to take care of the teams we should beat.

Looking at the Pats' schedule they have 10 opponents that were sub 500 last year. We'll probably need at least 12 wins to take the division including one win over the Pats.

Vegas has put the over/under for the Phins at 7.5 and the Pats at 11.5. I don't bet on games, and if I did, I'd do better by going against what ever I originally thought. I have to admit though the over/under on the Phins has me seriously considering the over.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
Nine of our games this year are against opponents that were sub 500 last year.........of course so were we.........but I'd like to think we'll be significantly better. Twelve wins is not out of the question...........but we'll have to take care of the teams we should beat.

Twelve wins for a team that just had a massive new player infusion this offseason? They completely re-vamped the WR, LB, TE, and CB units. The O-line is still in flux.

I'd be happy with 8-9 wins. Talking about 12 is nuts at this stage. Gonna require some serious chemistry building before we're talking about those kinds of numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:39 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Its called stirring the pot. Hoge is simply wanting to get people talking about what he said.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:11 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Twelve wins for a team that just had a massive new player infusion this offseason? They completely re-vamped the WR, LB, TE, and CB units. The O-line is still in flux.

I'd be happy with 8-9 wins. Talking about 12 is nuts at this stage. Gonna require some serious chemistry building before we're talking about those kinds of numbers.

I am not going to feel good about a coaching staff taking over a 7 win team and 2 years later having an 8-9 win team.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:43 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
I am not going to feel good about a coaching staff taking over a 7 win team and 2 years later having an 8-9 win team.

IMO it's just not objective to expect otherwise. We had band-aids all over this team last year. Most of the players were not Philbin/Sherman/Coyle guys. They started the process of bringing them in this year ...... but when you have the sheer amount of moving pieces the Dolphins do, it takes time to get'em acclimated. Again we have virtually brand new units in the WR, TE, LB, and CB department. God knows what to expect from the O-line right given the question marks stemming there. Our running back core features a first time probable starter, a guy who can't stay healthy (or upright), and another coming back from a serious knee injury.

Where we lucked out was our division doesn't look to be very good this year, aside from the Patriots whom everyone is curious how they're going to look without the TE tandem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:58 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Again, there is a difference between bothered and panic. Salguero is interpreting what was an honest assessment of one performance as being doomsday...aka revising the story to stir the pot.

Rock is correct, it will take time for these guys to come together. Depends on who you read I guess, but it doesn't sound like the o-line is as bad (but still not good) as some are making them out to be. I thought the running backs looked good the other night and the run blocking was sharp. And its not like the receiving options are untested in the NFL.

Tannehill needs to be Joe Flacco-esque this year. If you look at Flacco's second sea